advice..

Discussion in 'Boston Scientific' started by Anonymous, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am posting on a few device boards hoping to get some suggestions on how to make the move from pharma to device sale. I have been in pharma for 15 years and have had a great career here. I have stayed with this company for so long because my base is $115K, 20K in bonuses and the work/life balance has been ideal while my kids were younger. Now that they are older and I need to pay for college, I want a position in medical device where there are better financial opportunities and the position is more challenging.

I think the problem is that companies and recruiters look at me as a sample dropper that can't sell my way out of a box and I can't even get a phone call. My obstacle is overcoming this perception because I am not a glorified UPS driver and I can in fact sell. I have a science degree and can easily grasp the technical end of the position and my sales skills are above average. I actually do try to talk to my target physicians on every call and I have won several awards which reinforce the fact that I can sell. So, how do I convince those that are doing the hiring to at least give me a phone interview? I think I have a good resume but when they see 15 years in pharma, I don't think they are even giving me an opportunity.

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful. Or any recruiters that actually take the time to talk to a potential candidate would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Devices aren't all they Are cracked up to be. 24/7 phone calls from stupid doctors who don't know shit. Dropping ASP's. Commissions being cut. Less support personnel. For about 20k more. If I could trade jobs with you I would.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the advice..it is appreciated. The only problem is that my company is downsizing so I might be losing my job. Not sure where else to go if medical device isn't a viable option.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should have thought about this 10 years ago. 15 years in pharma and hiring managers and recruiters will deem you as a career pharma rep. It's a little late in the game, just saying...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would look at commercial positions within the pharmaceutical arena. My wife works in that segment and takes home about 220 with all incentives.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the advice…what is commercial pharma? What companies might that include?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok this might come off a tad jerky, but seriously, if you've been selling for 15 years and haven't developed relationships strong enough with your doctors to put you in front of hiring managers from other companies, than maybe you are where you need to be? I'm not throwing stones, I came from Pharma too. Recruiters told me that I would have to prove that I was more than a sample dropper during the interviews too. I think the only reason I got a shot at my company is because I had multiple too awards in a short amount of time and when asked why I wanted a career in device, I flat out told them I was miserable in Pharma. It's lame and takes almost no brain power. I needed something more to challenge me and I needed more gratification at the end of my day. Working 4 hours a day seems cool for some, but I really was bored out of my mind. Once I made these points to recruiters, they let me get in front of managers. Once there, my references from doctors I've worked with came into play. The formula seemed to work. Again, I hope this is helpful and not read as I'm some arrogant jerk, but recruiters will see that someone that has stayed in Pharma for 15 years is fairly content with that position and device is far from that lifestyle.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Commercial Pharma are the guys negotiating contracts, selling to payers and such. It's pretty much business development. If I wasn't one of the lucky ones stilling making a high income I would try to make the move. Most Pharma companies offer this position as Business Development Manager, Channel Sales Manger and other titles.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CRM is dead. The days of banking big money is gone and the volume of devices is going down because of the way the government has been looking at how sleezy the industry is. It's gotten to the point that it's a beat down.

I'd stay where you are and enjoy weekends and holidays.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The CRM device reps where the guys in the past that could only work 4 hours a day and play golf the rest of the time. Make big money and had a nice life style. Now they are working their asses off for much less money in a contracting market, kissing their bosses ass and the doctors ass. Committing medicare fraud at every turn and kiss some more ass. Buying business with fake studies and training programs. Where the hell does it end. We want our lives back.

This is a messed up business now.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

15 years in pharma and now you want to get into device? Don't waste your time. Get another pharma job.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My advice is simply DON'T Switch to Device. Was in Pharma for 5 years and made the switch. The extra possible 20-50 k simply is not worth the massive Hit in QOL you will take. Trust me, stay in Pharma unless you enjoy 80 hour weeks that you can never get away from. EVER.