This is real $$$

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most of you morons think medical device reps make more $ than us. Wrong!! Our average base is 100k and we make 20k bonus at AZ. Medical device is 150k for top 10 percent. Not a whole lot more. But someone who makes good $ is a Software Enterprise Sales Rep for a company like Oracle or Microsoft or SAP. Their average bases are 150k and bonus is that or more. So a good software guy makes 300-400k per year.

Best part? No lunches, no access issues, no sunshine law!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know if I would agree with that or not. I have a friend that's been in device for about 3 years, and their average is about $200K. They can entertain, and have virtually no access issues whatsoever. One of the biggest differences is they actually work! Also, the docs look at them as an integral part of the team that brings real value, unlike us with our "sign here" mentality. They are much, much more respected than a pharma rep will ever be!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know someone who went to work here in Silicon Valley for Oracle. They start you out with a six figure salary but you are inside, in a cube, telemarketing. You are at work everyday by 8:00 am, you get specified breaks and leave at 5:00 or stay if things aren't done. Then you wait until there is an outside opening and there is no guarantee where you might end up. He did it for six months and flew back to outside medical sales (he was actually in dental sales on the manufacturing side).

I like my freedom and flexibility.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you get into biotech it is different than primary care and speciality. When you sell a biological it's another world. The doctors actually are purchasing and you know how patients are doing, etc. The offices treat you much differently too.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd agree with that either. I have a friend in devices who routinely falls in the 200's and another friend once topped 300K, albeit that was a very good year and he was one of the top salesmen. He bought a vacation house with that. Turnover can be high and pressure is great because you have to sell in that industry, but the people I know in it are pretty cool and higher risk takers unlike most of us in Pharmaceuticals. The sports this group of guys are into are even high risk. Territories are pretty large for these folks so they travel a good deal. Otherwise they may only plan to stay 8 to 10 years, may invest in apartments (two do) etc. The ticket items for some of these guys are tremendous, thus a few sales a year can make or break. Some carry copier, printer, fax machines, and small electric generators to power them in their car. Competition is tough and device companies rise and fall.

For me, I like the lower risk, perks, and familiarity of Pharma, but that may be slowly slipping away. Two people I know, one from Amgen and one from Pfizer, got out at the peak of Pharma and retired multi millionaires. Some AZer's I know have as well, but those days are closing for the remaining few old timers.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you actually have to put in a hard day's work in Silicon Valley? Forget that.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The key to makin real $$ is keepin it real on the side. Am I out every day working the list - hell ya ! Offering car service on craigslist earns me twice what I make at AZ. I know my days in the backseat are numbered cause when you old nobody pays for mold. Now I'm young this is my days to make real $$$. Dont be stupid, why you have a free car if you aint gonna use it ?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why indeed Willis?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If I have to actually work for $200K a year, then forget that shit! I like my ultra short work week with AZ, bennies and being able to hide amongst all the other AZ losers. Nah, I damn sure don't want to have to work for a living!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You LOSER! This gig won't last. Access keeps getting lower and lower, AZ eventually will be like Novartis, virtually no reps. Then wtf are you gonna do when you are 3-4 years older and you have ZERO skills? Why not try to break into a company like Oracle work super hard, make 300k per year and gain REAL SKILLS? Idiot loser!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This gig will last for years to come! We have a CEO that turned down almost $120 billion for the company! With someone that stupid, and with the current mindset of "non-stop-hiring- more-is-better" philosophy, we are safer than anyone else in pharma! Where else can you work the short days we work for the money we make?? Management is just as guilty as we are!! Everybody in this company screws it on a daily basis, and nobody cares, so why should we!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't agree that the average base at AZ is 100k. Probably more like 75k when you factor in a starting salary of 60k.

I am an old timer and I started at 28k. Now I make 102k base and about 25k per year in bonus.

I live in a low cost of living area of the USA and I do quite well.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thats not the point.

You can actually make just as much money and have your freedom too. With the extra time you should do something like real estate. Learn to buy an sell or go into passive investment income.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I must be slightly younger than you. I started at 34k and back then I thought that was a fantastic base salary!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I stated in 2001 with a $64,000 base

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Started in 96 at 36,000 base. Left during the purge of 2012. Was at 114,000 base and made 40k+ in bonus during my better years in oncology. Self employed now. Less $$$ but far less stress and bs. Only wish I had the balls to make the move sooner.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Old original Astra USA days? True low base, but bonuses made up for it. We were all highly motivated and owned our own local franchise. Owned it.

Someday, Pharmas might learn that their HCP customers want only ONE contact person. Not 2-3-4.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not that dumb shit Frenchie! That son-of-a-bitch believes that more is ALWAYS better. I refuse to route anymore with all the assholes! I will go where and when I want to!!