New expansion ram positions.

Discussion in 'Alexion' started by Anonymous, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With the expansion of 11 new regional account managers which of these territories will be the good ones which will be the bad ones honesty please!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are not expansion positions. They are a new division within ultra rare metabolics. Any portions you see listed that say otherwise are in ultra rate benign hem. If you are trying to pursue one of those, ask: 1) what happened to the last rep - ask for 2 years of history. 2) ask if there are any thought leaders in your territory, and if not - where are they? Patients will leave your territory to go there. 3) ask how the goals are individualized to each territory's performance. Spoiler: they aren't. EVERYONE has the same goal. NYC, 2 (PNH) think they have specialty clinics there? LA, 2. Boston, 2. Where do you think the patients go - rare disease, doctor says, "hmmm. I've never seen this before" when your child is in the ER. Airlifted to major academic/city and out of your territory.
    4) ask how that is managed, and ask for examples.
    In short, you'll be told $$$$$. It's short lived and your family will become second tier to everything Alexion.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For any RAM position here. New launch or old product
    Ask about splits if you are in a feeder territory where most patients live don't start treatment. Like above. Spoiler. They aren't.
    You develop you local docs to test and diagnose and they air lift them out to big academic centers.
    Also how is new drug going to be supported. It's self admin so where is dose control ??
    Insurance support and nurse teaching. These will be newborns in NICU setting. No access. Better know your way around hospital halls.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Awesome info here thanks. Last question what about Medicaid? Any issues here with coverage? Thanks again for the candor much appreciated!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What position?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This thread sucks. First post appears to be a scumbag looking to fill in details in a report for competition- for a nice fee... Very old truck- throw out a half truth and wait to be corrected-Don't be chumps poster 2 and three. spit back the pure bull shit they deserve. Last post confirms- competitor they work for wants details. all sweet and thankfull looking for more freebies. Ass holes never share that they're ass holes.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trick not truck. This shit is ridiculous

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And this is why you never drink and then post on Cafepharma, folks.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lol. That's an excellent commentary.
    But, seriously, the expansion positions are not expansions per se. They are a new division. If people are truly interested, make sure that the "metabolic division" RAM territories have true thought leaders in the disease state.

The rest of the posts are pretty accurate, especially after being at this last meeting.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I cant tell you how many times people form the outside get so excited to come here when they hear orphan disease, $$$ (not real life trust me), low quotas, very specialized product, then after 6 months they look 10 years old, forget they even have kids, trying like hell to get out and ask themselves what have they done. Think this is BS? Come here and reread this post 6 months post hire! Better yet make a solid relationship with a sales person (RAM) who has been here over a year and ask them.. You are the only one to blame after reading this and still signing on the dotted line.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are they offering a decent base? Bonus? What about options? The stock price is pretty high right now, how much growth do you expect to see for the new reps to even be able to make any $$$ off the options? Do you guys have travel budgets, call reporting, lots of metrics? How are benefits, company car, etc? Any real info would help. I'm considering a position here and by the way, its rough at almost every company. There's not a lot of real innovation out there, very few startup opportunities, access is tough in every specialty and every company has jacked sales goals waaay up there. I'm in oncology and if pts aren't diagnosed with the type of cancer my drug treats then there is very little I can do to move product. Your story is nothing new. Isn't this new drug a first and only in its class.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know what they are offering new hires now. Go through interview process and see if you get offer. Check out stick price for last year and see if you were hired last year if you would be under water or in the money. Success depends on your territory. See above post. So far this has been a very honest and polite thread.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You truly have no idea what "rough" is until you've been in a territory at this company, when your territory is NEXT to a major referral site(s) and all of your patients are emergently flown out of your region or seek opinions with docs who have seen the disease before, because your territory does not include one.... You sell the most expensive drug in the world, that really does have great science. Until you are insistently directed to find out "from your relationships"- and record - patient information to which you are technically legally restricted from (labs, patient initials, working with lab companies who share data), but if you DON'T get the information, you will be harassed by your RSM, because HE/SHE is being harassed by their leadership to get it, to facilitate forecasting. Accounts you would be calling on might be very reluctant to trust anyone from Alexion.
    EVERY TERRITORY has the same goal, and it's a raw number that SEEMS easy to attain, but watch out. Do some comparative thinking: at your current/previous company do NYC, Dallas or LA, have the EXACT SAME ACTUAL DOLLAR GOAL or patient goal - NOT percentage and NOT growth.... The exact same number, I.e. "2" - as every other territory in the U.S.?
    And why not? Have you heard of MSKCC, NYU, MD Anderson, Mass General, UCSF? No territory is weighted, there is no national "team" goal. But when your patient leaves to be treated in one of those places, THAT territory gets the credit, the payout, and you still need to find a patient. THEN that patient returns to your territory after the first rep has been paid.... And then the patient and/or MD decide they don't need to treat the patient chronically and they stop. Guess what? YOU now get penalized and you don't get paid. And your former illustrious career as an oncology rep thinking if the pts "don't get diagnosed with what your drug treats there's nothing you can do" is now "you just aren't looking in the right places, and maybe this isn't the right place for you".
    If I'm wrong, people will speak up. I guarantee you.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well that sucks. Like most small greedy ass companies the tide will turn on them. They will be bought by a big pharma company and the rest is history.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They won't care if they are bought-that's the whole goal!!! They will get bought, cash out, and look for another opportunity. These people never suffer. I've seen it time and again. It's a timing game: GET IN EARLY.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I am familiar with these issues. I have one of the territories you mentioned with one of the major institutions you mentioned and you are correct. EVERYONE goes to the "expert" to get treatment and the rep in that territory gets the credit. It's maddening. But that's oncology. I am familiar with onc referral patterns. The big centers get ALL the pts until community docs feel comfortable treating. Because you guys have such an expensive drug then that may not happen. Community docs can't stomach the buy and bill capital it takes and a place like MD Anderson is insulated from that risk so docs would probably treat if there was $$$ incentive to do so, believe me. The problem is the cost of your drug and dealing with, for example, Texas Oncology. That being said...this new drug is not for onc so will children's hospitals in each territory treat or still refer to the big centers? How much will the drug cost?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RAMS Get hammered on here. In some situations they have ridden the gravy train for years i.e. Merck, Roche, etc. When you are stacked with hard numbers, it is a brutal undertaking. One person and a lap top battling billion dollar organizations out of fleet car.

It will keep a person awake at night. Some nights cattle ranching looks good.

Most regions have glass buildings with a witch behind a huge wooden fortress.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's NOT just the drug, here. It's the disease. Do some research on the molecule and the disorder. Where are the few/far between thought leaders? Look at the trials and find the principal investigators - see what they think. Do a clinicaltrials.gov search on the disease and find out who the disease thought leaders are - and CALL them. Have them answer the questions you just asked here.

The ultra orphan marketplace is a much different reimbursement discussion, too. You probably have a sense of it, but it's an excellent position, even with/especially with Obamacare.

And you're not hearing me correctly about the referral patterns. THAT'S not the question. How the comp plan is structured means you will struggle to hit your number because it is the same exact raw number as the UT or MD Anderson person's goal. Then when the patients head out of the ivory tower onto your territory, you will be penalized for any hiccups.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Researched the trials, all 8 have very few sites in the US. Mainly located in St. Louis, Cincy, Nebraska, Wisconsin. Only a few reps will have the advantage of trials done in their territories. How many territories will be in this business unit? As mentioned in the above post, how is a rep responsible for hiccups in the community if the pt is prescribed a drug in another territory by a physician they don't call on??

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly. Same questions you should ask in any interviews with Alexion.