S1,S2, S3 Placement Clarification

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For some reason all of heard different things and not having slides is leading to confusion. Our Managers all answered differently and some seemed annoyed by this whole process. This is what I thought I heard and wrote down. Please correct me if you understand differently

1. All placements will be based on our core competencies that our previous managers ranked us on and nothing else.
    2. All reps in the top 30% regardless of current pay grade will be called to see if they are interested in being an S3.
    3. All the reps in the top 30% regardless of grade who are called will be an S2 even if they are not selected for S3.
    4. Reps currently Grade 5-6 who place from 31%-90% will be S2.
    5. Reps currently Grade 5-6 in the bottom 10% will be S1.
    6. Reps currently Grade 7-8 from 31% to the bottom will be S1.

So basically if you did not get a call from your manager this week about an S3 position and your grade 5-6 you are likely an S2. And if your grade 7-8 and didn't get a call your likely S1.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks, I never got a clear answer on the how and why reps would be placed in S1 and S2; only knew that the 10% of region would be S1.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who knows. This S placement is just another measure to get rid of reps. There are going to be some demotions and bruised ego's, leading to more people leaving.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Remember folks, this new system may eventually help your career path. Currently you have the same S-4 managers constantly jumping to other management internal jobs. Also, MGAMS are in this same mix, it is simply a constant circle. Thus, there is no upward movement or career path for field reps.

With the new system, incompetent managers and MGAM's can and will be let go for a proven, competent S-3. The S-3 will have developed the skills necessary to replace these old recycled S-4's. You watch, S-3's will begin running meetings, approving expense reports, be inolved in interviewing and going back and forth to headquarters. This is the best legal way for mother Merck to justify letting some of these ole timers who don't know how to manage jack crap. Perfect example, HSA's already do the same as s-4 managers and much, much more. They have been designated as S-3's, although most are already in this same band so it doesn't really matter. You watch, many will be managers soon, think about it.

I for one am glad to see the senior manager type who has only been here less than 15 years be challenged about his or her skills. Most are good if not great, a few are complete disasters. Oh, Peter Kim should be given an S-1 and PIP at the same time.

Your future S2 comrade.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1: True
    2: False (must be eligible per % and mgr/dir discretion)
    3: True
    4: True
    5: True
    6: False (bottom 10% will be S1, rest will be S2)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So I didnt get a call I have been here 8 years and I am grade 7. I guess I am still an S1. Wow I have really moved up! I mean down!

I have been VP once and directors 3 times. Been on several region boards and was point for our busiest product every year. I got senior just prior to the freeze on promotions in 06.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are such a tool. Who cares, really? LMAO! Welcome to the new way of American business. This is why 90 precent of the wealth is now owned by 10 percent of the people. The fat lady is clearing her throat. Soon we WILL be in the ranks of the "have nots" unless you and I have one hell of a plan B.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Alina has been singing the whole time she has been here. We've just tried to ignore her obnoxious songs. She'll probably sing the Star Spangled Banner in Phoenix, Rosanne Barr style.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you sure about number 6? I am pretty sure a higher percentage of 7-8 grades will S1

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice try for HSA. They are barely a S1 in skill set. Read a few articles each month & manage your speakers. What an easy job. They should be givenS1 bonus because they don't effect sales,
    Does anyone know their target bonus. Shouldn't they be paid like West Point people, small bonus. Its really a hand holding exercise.
    How many speakers does each one manage? I call on over 50 clinics monthly with 200 doctors.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. Read the slide set. 10% will be S1s.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our CTM (excuse me, CTL) never forwards any slide sets. We have to totally rely on our note-taking.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong. 10% of execs or sr execs. A Senior or below that was not in the top 30% last year will be a S1. I have the slides in front of me.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Managers sometimes are given a quick briefing or participated in a teleconference or the slides are then sent to them the day before. Then they have to pretend they are the experts. Thus all the confusion and interpretations.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are misinterpreting the slides.
    Bottom 10% of reps will be S1s.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wrong!

S1 will be comprised of all reps Senior and lower that are not in the Top 30% of MBO rankings by their former managers. This group will also include any Sr Execs. and Execs. that fall in the bottom 10% of MBO Rankings

S2 will be made up of any Senior Exec and Exec that were in the Top 90% of MBO, and any lower level (Prof 1, 2, Senior) that are in the Top 30% that do not receive the Lead (S3) positions.

S3 positions are far and few between. DCO's can have varying amounts, for example, the Southeast will only have seven - S3's. Anyone in the Top 30% will be evaluated by their new CTL, then the exec team will discuss and place accordingly.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So much concern over what amounts to "bubkis". Reality: There are "NoCareer Pathways" at Merck. Branded drugs' heydey is over. It will be all about generics. Pipeline stinks. What we have now can't be sustained....the focus will be on continued layoffs. Don't spend time worrying about the "S designations"...focus instead on "plan B".

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ah. mercks tried but not so true bell curve.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thoughtful process by management..it was a cattle call..everyone was called including folks who are not even spending the time to call on customers! We've got to change our whole management team or change their work ethic before Merck will turn around! Management does not understand trust and value, how can they expect high scores?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good point. Just by company's decision that there exists a need to measure trust and value provides blinding insight about Merck's significant problems. Top companies have no need to measure trust and value. Their culture takes care of it. Merck's culture back in those most admired days enjoyed highest trust and value. Then something went terribly wrong with Merck management and that culture got sacrificed. Pity.