How Endo dropped the ball w/ Opana (from a Pharmacist)

Discussion in 'Endo' started by Anonymous, Dec 7, 2006 at 10:05 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharmacist here. Just my thoughts on a major setback Opana has. As many of you "educated" Reps know, PBM's have put a huge hurt on pharmacy reimbursement (and on your drugs too w/ their formularies). Anyway, Opana Er is VERY expensive. In fact Opana IR is even more expensive (why? who the hell knows). Anyway, I am losing the main point here. Opana is a class 2 narcotic. We are only allowed to give out a month supply at a time. Opana is dosed at Bid (twice a day). So here is my question, why the fuck did Endo bottle it in quantities of 100?!?!? Think about it. You are a pharmacist who will make maybe 3- 12 dollars on the sixty Opana you are about to dispense. Why would you bother if you have to sit on 40 other pills that cost about/on average $6.50 a pill. Think about it, you dispense 60 pills to make an average of 8 bucks, and you are stuck with $260.00 dollars of crap on your shelf. Then, if you get another RX, you have to order another damn bottle to have an extra 20 pills to fill it. Then you are left with 80 pills. Will you get another call? Or will you no be stuck with $520 dollars worth of crap on your shelf. You cannot blame a pharmacist for turning away Opana scripts because of this. If they came in bottles of 60, it would be a totally diffirent story.

Just my opinion, I'm sure I am going to have a bunch of reps saying a lot of stupid shot because of my post, but the smart reps should explain this HUGE DRAWBACK to their clueless bosses when they are asking them why their MD's aren't writing for Opana. When the pahrmacies don't carry the drug, and the patient gets fed up and tells the doc that he/she can't find it to fill anywhere, and the doc has to rewrite another rx for the just as effective and cheaper Oxycodone, how soon befpre the MD stops writing for Opana.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true, so true.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Name another opioid that isn't bottled the same way. Oh yeah "pharmacist" (LOL), when you do the conversion, Opana is cheaper than every other branded ER opioid.

You Purdue people sure are bitter.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Opana comes in bottles of 100 for the same reason that hot dog rolls come in packs of 8 while the hot dogs themselves come in packs of 10. You must buy more than 1 package to fill 2 Rx's.
    This, my friends is really "drug" sales 101.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A Purdue rep wouldn't write this. Their drugs come in bottles of 100 and this is the exact same issue with OC and MSC. We, once again, simply used their business model and applied it to our products.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You've gotta do what you've gotta do...

As a consumer, I will tell you that I won't return to a pharmacy that doesn't have my script in stock. So, in essence, you are only hurting yourself. I am guessing that you are an indie pharmacy, b/c if you work at CVS/Walgreen/etc., I don't think you would care how much it costs, nor how it is supplied. Order the bottle of 100. Dispense 60. Next script: dispense 40 and have the patient come back for the next 20. The 40 qty will get them the pain relief they seek immediately, and tide them over for awhile until you can order another bottle. And by the way, not everyone will need a dispense of 60.

Not to harp on you, but "narcotic" is a legal term, not a medical term.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey good points, but if you are going to pat yourself on the back, wait more then one minute after your post

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK for real................ SHUT THE FUCK UP MR. PHARMACIST. How about you just do what the doctor tells you instead of trying to make money on every fucking pill. You guys are worthless, and cost us money at every turn. What the fuck did you do for the money??? Nothing. you count pill sfor a living you idiot!

9. #9 InterestedMD, Dec 9, 2006 at 11:30 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006 at 5:30 PM
    InterestedMD

InterestedMD Guest

It appears that not only are most of you bitter about Endo but you are simply bitter about life. You attack doctors, pharmacists, patients. Is there anyone that you like??:confused:

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Huh?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How do I tell the pharmacies who ask me how to return Opana? Lately, whne making pharmacy calls I get asked about how to return the unopened bottles they stocked. Some of these pharmacies are pissed they have not gotten a script yet. Help!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like it is your fault for not being able to sell. Our DM told us clearly how to handle this. Why not ask yours?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My DM said it was not returnable and I must pay for the bottles myself. Sort of like a pyramid scheme. It feels like I am selling Amway or Shaklee.

Trobled in Topeka...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand that many meds come in 100count bottles. I personally do not understand why but its the same thing with hotdogs 8 rolls for a 10 pack. All pts get different amounts per rx .I get 120 pills a month therefore your 20 left over pills after your second bottle will be cleared because you can give me the left over 20 plus a full 100 count. I hate when pharmacist are so analytical over how much each pill cost. I understand you have a buisness to run but you forgot why you became a pharmacist and that's to help your pts. Unless your heartless and got into it for your $75k a year

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Buy 3 bottles and you'll have enough for 5 scripts........that solves the problem......

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like you people have been eating too many hot dogs.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear crash helmets?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Laughing my f'king ass off. This is a great post.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is there a lock on the door of a 24 hour 7/11?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or braille on drive thru atms...