Old Timer confused

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jun 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hell no! I can't afford Starbucks! (Or a Bentley for that matter) YOU'RE the one who started talking about how much money you've got. I was just countin' it for ya and offerin' some friendly (albeit unsolicited) advice!

But you are right about the pretentious folks that go to Starbucks to hang out! Got themselves a laptop too. I seen 'em when I was lookin' through the windows.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not for nuthin Gramps cause it dont make no neverminds to me, but in post #18 you started talkin' about how you spend your Soc Sec checks, as "gravy money", then in post #31 you mentioned your "Blackrock" portfolio....

I mean, ya did ask for it.

Trust me, when it comes to talking about your money, a low profile is better. See, I'm an Old Timer too. I never talk about how much I've got. But it's a ton more than anybody thinks it is. The more astute people I know suspect I've got it, but my ride out in the parking lot doesn't offer any clues about it, nor does where and what I live in.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, it is a lot of work managing a portfolio. Not to mention I'm not a Wall Street investment pro so I leave it to someone who does it for a living. Just be sure your adviser isn't churning your portfolio so as to enrich him/herself. Been there done that, and it isn't fun.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was teasing that little bugger who think retirees are gramps blocking his road to success. SS$ is extra gravy but it does not mean I am going to spend it off each month. It's nice to have a little breathing room. Most of the time I pour it back into something for the future. Blackrock stuff has lowered the entry fee these days. You don't have to be filthy rich to invest a little bit through them. Fidelity has a few partnerships with Blackrock too.

I drive a decent car. Nothing luxurious. But I am dying for a Mercedes. But then I know it is silly to drive that car around. Friends who have them said even routine maintenance is expensive.

Most old timers have done well when they said goodbye to Merck. We paved the way for those little rats who think they know everything these days. Many fond memories of the past glorious Merck and the mighty MSDRL.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are the same age as us Old Timers, then you need to sign up for an anger management class.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're taking what I say in this thread way too seriously. Most of what I wrote was tongue in cheek.

I'm just a feisty old curmudgeon that likes to kick some ass and get a rise out of people. Worked pretty good with you, didn't it?

And by the way, did you see how Gramps responded to me in his most recent post? He didnt get all honked off after I busted his chops. He saw my comments for what they were/are.

Why not you? Because you're YOUNG and INEXPERIENCED, that's why!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a little different than you. I too was dying for an expensive car. A Mercedes, Audi, an Escalade, a BMW or something along those lines. But I've moved on from that.

If I was to buy one now, I'd never buy new. I'd look for a used car, one that has a "back story" to it. It'd be nearly new, have very low miles, and is being sold cheap because the guy who owns it had something very unfortunate happen to them and had to get rid of it. It's kind of sad when you find a car like that (there's ads all over the internet for them) because the "story" goes something like this; the owner died and the widow dumped it. But at least I wont take the big depreciation hit and everybody will think I bought it new. I have an older brother that bought a gorgeous BMW off the internet and had it shipped to him. He paid about half of what it sold for new, and it had just 5,500 miles on it. Whoever owned it had some kind of personal tragedy in their life and sold it. That's how us seniors have to live these days, I like the quality of life I have, and I want to enjoy myself by having nice things around me, but at the same time I dont want to run out of money. I doubt that will happen, but it did happen to my wife's mother before she died. That situation got very ugly, so much so, I wont ever let it happen to me.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If that is your entertainment of the day by posting messages to get a rise out of people...well, I feel sorry for you.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think many of us Merck retirees are doing the same. Finding great deals during out-of-business sales. Looking for a car as you did. Not sure if a person died in a car though unless the price is right. I am done with my past life working a full day and then entertained some moronic docs at fancy restaurants. Pricing everything and asking to price match. Having a few extra $$ allow me to drive a harder bargain.

Enjoy your post-Merck life!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Feel sorry for me also. I come here to simply to get some comic relief.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Old is beautiful!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ROFLOL Seriously?? If this is true, how can http://www.phrma.org/about exist????

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the moral support, but that guy was right. Not that I give a shit though.

When I posted my comment in post #46 about being a "feisty old curmudgeon", I was gonna add "As you can see I've got way too much time on my hands." And I do! I could take some steps to change that, but I'm not gonna.

If he's lucky, he'll get to have a lot of time on his hands too. But if he's young enough, he'll be working to an older age than I had to. And when he finally does collect Soc Security, he'll probably be working part time anyway. Better get ready for that Junior! Cuz that's exactly what's gonna happen to all you millennial's. Don't worry, Social Security is still gonna be there long after 2032, but you aint getting as much as I do, you're gonna pay into it a lot more than I did, and you're gonna wait for the little you do get a lot longer!! Have fun in YOUR golden years Chump! Toodles!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's youthful arrogance and jealousy. You speak the truth that we will make more out of the SS system and less for them smarty pants. I had to work with some of them before retirement. No humility, great talkers, always dodging responsibilities, party animals and so self centered.

The tragedy is, as you have pointed out, he will be retiring with much less while huffing and puffing about himself.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And not only that, he'll probably retire with a credit rating so low, he aint ever gonna be able to borrow a dime! Not that he should be borrowing much money during retirement, but I've seen some that have done it. And more $$ than they should have too.