MSL contract companies?

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been an MSL with TMAC for nearly three years, with the same Client Company. The majority of my MSL team colleagues and I came from previous MSL positions. I don’t have a contract, and I am not a temp - thank you very much. And as a reminder to some of the above responders; ALL MSLs had to start without experience as a MSL! You gain experience and perfect your craft over time. I've been on both sides; contract and in-house. These days MSLs move from company to company, seeking a new professional challenge or as a result of circumstances beyond our control. The 20 year veteran stated: “effectiveness is based on knowledge of the relevant basic and clinical sciences and in depth and continuous contact with the KOL”. My guess is that you didn’t have that knowledge depth 20 years ago. You gained it over time, and not likely all in one place. All this to say: my experience has been a good one.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SOS moved from ATL to NJ and now no longer exists. Venn5 is also no longer.

TriNet is a boys club, so if you like Drinking and staying out late with the recruiters at meetings they are at, you should get placed

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been an MSL for over a decade, and I agree about the "circumstances beyond our control". A product can be withdrawn from the market or the FDA can impose new labeling. A product can also lose patent protection overnight due to a court decision or the company could merge or go out of business. These things are way beyond our control.

Industry is not a place to go if your personality type requires stability and no change. Things change very fast and often on a whim by management. The most important things are integrity and relationship management, because everything MSLs do depend on those two elements.

I am working contract now after five years at my former employer. My former team was displaced out of nowhere. The product had many years of patent life left and it had great formulary coverage with managed care. A new division head decided that we were no longer required. There was no wind-down on the team. We received the news on a cold, wintery day right after Thanksgiving. By the end of the year, the sales forces were also restructured after having four record-breaking years in a row.

Working on a contract basis is actually much better. We do not have to fight the internal battles for funding or put up with the corporate politics. I am on my third assignment with this outsourcing company and they have been wonderful.

The world has changed from 2001 when I started in industry, but I am happy to be working and I have a great team. What more could you ask for?