Merck contract

Discussion in 'Amplity' started by Anonymous, Sep 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I found out there was an opening on the Merck contract. Do you guys like it? Is it a good contract? Any feedback would be great. I did hear that it was a great opportunity and possibility that they are going to keep extending it?????

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A contract is a contract...it comes and goes. If you base your decision on whether it's going to be extended or not, you'll never really find any suitable job in contract sales...heck, with all the layoffs in BP, even that ain't safe.

As far as the Merck contract itself being good, yes, it is good. Most of the naysayers on here are actually poor, disillusioned folks who were expecting too much of a good thing. You will most likely get responses along the lines of:

* Merck counterparts are making life difficult for Merck contract reps
    * PSS managers are micromanaging the sh*t out of their reps as if this was a full time regular salesforce in some BP company
    * the pay sucks, no benefits, just a total waste of time

And possibly even more that I fail to mention right now...but don't let those negative things dissuade you from pursuing this - if it's really what you want.

This job isn't for those who expect a company car, full benefits, and a paycheck comparable to a BP rep. If you are currently a rep, then don't leave until they kick you out - then collect unemployment - then go after something like this. If not, then stay put where you are - unless your goal is to get out of Big Pharma. This job is for those looking for part time work, who are unemployed and looking for something just to keep experience relevant/current, or just for the extra income to supplement a main family income.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a part time gig. If that is what you are looking for then it is great. Product portfolio is great. Money for time worked is great. The training is intense and you will need to put extra (unpaid) time in but after that it is great. Just 24 calls per week and about 44 weeks per year. Merck reps are a little full of themselves (not all) but you just ignore them.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am not sure about the 44 weeks per year in the above post...I don't even think they have made clear how many hours and calls we are expected to get in by the end of the year. According to the call sheets they gave us at training, they have us making at least 24 calls every single week until the week after Christmas. I would hope they would allow for a week or two off without having to make up those calls. Has anyone heard anything about this?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our DM did a spreadsheet that showed us how many hours are budgeted. This year you can work every week but you do not have to. Next year there are a finite number of hours so that we would have to take time off. Not sure about the weeks. Ask your DM about how many hours you have available to work per year and you can figure it out. Ours is asking for a certain number of calls per quarter.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its fucking shit, look at some of the post regarding merck contract!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is the Merck contract the only one with a significant number of openings?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Three products (SP) are going off patent next year. One Merck drug. Unless there are newer meds, how can this contract last beyond the duration (Dec 2011)? Perhaps they are just using the contract reps until they downsize their own sales force.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You might want to do some research. Only one going off patent and there are many backfill opportunities. In fact, saw a training class for a new product on the company calendar coming up. Go on it and you'll see it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel sort of bad for the Merck reps, they seem nervous and worried about us.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quite the contrary...it's you guys who should be feeling nervous and worried. Once Mother Merck puts the cuts into play, it'll be the contract people gone first before any regular salaried employee bites the dust.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listen let's not start the bologna CSO vs company all CSO in this position have been big pharma for more than at least 2 years. We were told average experience on this contract is 10 years. This job is the perfect fit for me I don't want the company high stress job. MOST of the CSO feels the same way. We know what it means to have a contract, unfortunately it can end at ANY TIME period... SAD but True!! Flex time is a dream job if you don't need a big salary. The Merck Reps. are selling way more than us and The Good Ones are working way more than us. Love my 24 and I'll keep it as long as I can.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So its good for you if you dont have serious financial obligations. Most reps need the income and CSO does not pay the bills unless you hardly have any worth mentioning.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Theres and opening in my area too. Wonder if its the same one?
    Anywho :)
    When y'all say it's 24, do you mean 24 hours per week, or 24 doctors, or both.

And if its 24 hours, do you include admin work within those hours? Travel time? I can see how 24 docs could easily take much longer. Although possibly less at times too.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You see 24 doctors in a week. If it takes you 10 hours to do it, you still get paid for 24 hours. Sometimes it's more- but usually around that long to get the job done. Nice job, good people, good boss. I have to complaints.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oops. I have NO complaints.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pay per signature

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are both wrong! Not pay per signature!!! Not done is 10 hours you must record 24 hours each week and you need 24 calls you are paid 27.50 an hour. No extra admin time, you just make the job work for you just like other pharma jobs. If you get home at 3 do not tell your boss. At the same time do not ask him for admin time. You must make 24 calls at least. You must also try to get as many signatures as possible to show you are working.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

just fake the sigs like everyone else and put in as little time as you can b4 you get canned

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey Merck reps! A big fuck you ! you mother fuckers, I am not impressed with any of the shit counter parts in the territory. and although , we will go first, you people are shit, and you will never find another good job again, you are shit