The problem at Lilly from an old timers perspective

Discussion in 'Eli Lilly' started by Anonymous, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here how I see what has happened at Lilly. When I joined the company in the mid 1970's, it was run by Pharmacists and Scientists. These people had perspectives on medicine, physicians, and patients. Somewhere along the line, the company got away from being run by scientists, physicians,pharmacists, and instead, started incorporating big school MBA's into the mix. We got guys like Jordan, Crenshaw, Tupman, a bunch of OUS types who didn't understand the US, the stars of the Evista team, Symbyax, etc. who couldn't use common sense to save their butts. They truly didn't understand the markets, or our customers. Mostly, they polished apples and kissed ass instead of running the company. As a result, we saw massive lawsuits, inept marketing, product failures at launch and personnel decisions that where, at best, criminal. Promotions were based on what you are, rather than what you have done. Probably the worst thing these inept managers did was to expand the sales forces to a size that our customers refused to see us anymore. (Lilly wasn't the only ones guilty of this.) As a result, a really good company is suffering. Until they turn the company back over to those truly involved in medicine, we will ultimately fail. MBA's (of which I am one,) are not appropriate to run this type of business.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are too late old timer. Everything you said was correct, but you are too late. Eli Lilly and Company is over, the damage has been done, and the plug has been pulled.

The same thing is happening to America, only at a much faster rate.

Another old timer.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lechleiter is a scientist. How is that one working out :) ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lechleiter was trained to be a scientist but did little science once he got to Lilly, just a few years in CPR&D.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. I know someone who knew him at the time, and said he came in as a "people person" which doesn't sound like any kind of scientist I know. Politician through and through.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He made intermediates for Roundup--they he high tailed it out of the lab and kissed the creamy, chocolately goodness all the way up to the top, which is functionally the gutter.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is hard to imagine how some of the Lilly execs can get on stage and mouth meaningless words when they are "stuck" and don't have a clue about why they are there, or what they are talking about. Maybe my education is flawed, but that was seriously discouraged where I come from --- do they have courses in this at the Ivy League schools? "When in doubt, just talk at the group that is turning it's back on you, so as to appear perfectly for the cameras"

It's very calculated. Certainly not science or medicine. Just get to the top and try to keep up with the brother who also controls billions of dollars in assets. Sibling rivalry at the expense of major corporations.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, the Ivys teach you not to care.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"It's all about me" yep that pretty much sums it up.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The most intelligent post yet. Simple truth. Now it is an MBA club. . No one else need apply. Performance? Generators of revenue? We hire guys for that. . . I'm a leader!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Financial engineering. Mass firings disguised to fool the Federal Govt. Stock buybacks with the cost savings from firings and closures. Cutting off the fingers and toes to save the remaining stumps.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The imclone drugs will be blockbusters. Trillions of dollars.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My, my how far and fast the once great Lilly has fallen. A shame. When I started in 89 you guys were the poop. Today, not so much. Insecure metro males and cheerleaders. The new face of medicine.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I started in Pharma Lilly was respected as a conservative company strong and steady . A very good reputation and business sense. Now we see Lilly as confused and repeatedly making poor business choices. As an outsider I can say Lilly has really fallen fast and hard. What a shame what a pity.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I recall those days. As a child I remember the old Parke Davis and Lilly reps waiting in the Lobby for a moment with the Doc. All shiney shoes, suits and alligator bags with an RPhx after their names on their cards.

You'd see the Drs. wave them back like a friend who just knocked on the back gate. They'd give the patients Lolly Pops and the nurses a kiss on the cheek. Man, what class.
    What the hell happened?

Now flash to young 22 year oldgirls who look like hookers, on their Iphones in the Lobby cruising FB or texting their friends. Really, sad. Pathetic.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And, those Rph's could speak to doctors with authority and honesty, not only about their own drugs, but also about other company drugs. Doctors liked that about RPh reps. Now, doctors are afraid to interrupt one of the 22 year old airheads with their degrees in fitness management or communications because if you interrupt their canned detail, they will have to start the canned detail all over from the beginning.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You do know someone had to actually say YES at Lilly to approve the hiring of the 22 year old bimbos you speak of !?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And I am sure you heard that from one of your doctor friends.

My doctor does not like pills, but if you really insist, he'll write a script.

I am completely honest with him about our drugs.

We enjoy our little chats.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Roundup, huh? I guess he was always about destroying beautiful things. Most weeds are beautiful flowers of the unique variety. Lilly was unique in pharma once too. Now it's just a shriveled, brown weed. Things come full circle.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Little chats?" Sorry, I forgot that Lilly reps don't sell anymore. It appears that, if they are lucky enough to see the doctor, they are satisfied with a "little chat." It is little wonder that Eli Lilly and Company has been thrown into the historical dust bin of pharmaceutical discovery, manufacture, and marketing. Oscar Moss would go stark-raving mad if he had to run sales training at Lilly now.