Merck to cut 600 Sales Reps by end of next month

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merck Cuts 600 Sales Reps as Part of its Ongoing Reorganization
    http://blogs.wsj.com/pharmalot/2014/07/25/merck-cuts-600-sales-reps-as-part-of-its-ongoing-reorganization/?mod=yahoo_hs

As part of its ongoing bid to reorganize and cut costs, Merck is eliminating 600 jobs by the end of next month, according to a recent filing made with the state’s Department of Labor & Industry. A Merck spokeswoman says most of the layoffs involve sales reps that are based around the country and is a part of a broader cost-cutting initiative that was announced last fall.

Indeed, the move comes nine months after the drug maker announced a sweeping retrenchment that involves slashing 8,500 jobs, closing some facilities and ending certain research projects. The stated goal is to save $2.5 billion by the end of next year. The total number of layoffs will amount to 20% of the global workforce of about 81,000 employees at the time the plans were disclosed last October.

Merck has, actually, been cutting costs in a variety of way for years, even before the drug maker paid $41 billion for Schering-Plough MRK -0.19% four years ago. In 2011, for instance, Merck began chopping up to 13,000 jobs in order to save up to $1.5 billion by 2015.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So what is the real number of cuts Merck has made since SP? 16,000, 19,000? 29,000?

Who actually knows?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whatever it is, it is not enough.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Old news. I was one of the 600 cut June 26th.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really? What makes you so sure this is not a notice for 600 employees that still work for the company. The PA Department of Labor warn notice for July would suggest otherwise

Merck & Co., Inc.
    351 North Sunneytown Pike
    North Wales, PA 19454

And

1180 Church Rd
    Landsdale, PA 19446
    COUNTY: Montgomery

# AFFECTED: 600

PERMANENT LAYOFF

EFFECTIVE DATE: 8/26/2014

Why post this warn notice in July for employees released in June? Always interesting to me when ex-Merckies actually think they have some inside scoop. You didn't when you were there and certainly don't now.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BASTARDS!!!!! Merck (MRK -0.4%) will ax another 600 jobs by the end of next month according to the Wall Street Journal. The firm continues to cut costs as it pursues its goal of saving $2.5B in operating expenses by the end of 2015. Total layoffs will eventually be ~20% of its global workforce.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only old news is you.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

$2.5billion/8500 = $294,117.65/yr
    Wow

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

where in the article does it say sales jobs?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"A Merck spokeswoman says most of the layoffs involve sales reps that are based around the country and is a part of a broader cost-cutting initiative that was announced last fall"

Its the second sentence....

have someone read this to you because clearly you are unable to read it yourself!!

And you sell to doctors??

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The PA Labor site is slow to load the disclosures. If your separation is covered by a WARN notice Merck has to give you 60 days notice prior to your separation. Therefore, the folks that will leave on August 26th were likely notified in late June.

If your separation is not subject to a WARN notification you could be gone that day. This happened late last year with hand raisers. There was a WARN notice covering ~500 at West Point, but not Church Rd. Had raisers in WP stayed on for the 2 months, but hand raisers in Church Road left within 1-2 weeks.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good riddance

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was always told to be ready for this but after 20 years, you tend to ignore it. I can't believe it's finally happening and finally happening to me. I should have known better than to listen to management that kept telling us to ignore the man behind the curtain....

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you telling us that the 600 identified in the article and warn notice are already gone? This news simply reflects what has already happened and those of us that remain need not concern ourselves that this announcement regarding a new round of layoffs will not affect us?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am on the inside - many many more than 600 will be gone by years end - I sit next to the individual creating lists of those in the next several waves to be axed - better start looking for work

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If your end date, as in last paycheck before severance, is 8/26 you are part of the 600. If your date is different you are not.

I always thought, though I'm not 100%, that the Department of Labor filing was specific to those affected in that state only. Why would cuts from all over the country be applied to two addresses in PA?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Philly.com (http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20140726_Merck_to_cut_600_jobs_at_Montgomery_County_facilities.html)

gives you the details you seek. In this case the reps.are all across the country but 'based' in the PA locations. The article in that link is more specific that the WSJ report.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Im very sorry to hear this. Hang in there and know there are areas to use your skills. I would suggest not viewing on CafePharma while you look for a job. The immature and insensitivity will only be a negative at this time.

Look into finace sales
    Dental sales (dental manufacturering sales are very similar to pharma sales)
    Home health care sales
    Long Term care sales (ie Kindred, Vitas)

Hang in there!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ugh…all you mention is sales…Who wants to end up like Willy Loman…you must be a youngster to make these suggestions…trust me, you will not want to be doing any kind of sales past the age of 40...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not good for WHC group.