What's it really like to work here?

Discussion in 'Kowa Pharmaceuticals' started by Anonymous, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thinking of applying to an open position and wanted to know--what's it really like to work here? What call metrics are expected? Do you have to do "programs" in the evenings and if so, how many? I read that you don't get a corporate credit card--does that mean that you don't have a budget at all. If this is true, are you not expected to do luncheons, etc? Do you get a company car? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

run

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depends on how bad you need the job....

2 Me-too products (competes with many generics) that aren't doing very well, a company car ($110 per month out of your paycheck), no company credit card but a very solid budget so you are expected to do frequent lunches, bonus on the very low side for most but territories do very well, call metrics are pretty standard for the industry.

I enjoyed my (brief) time at Kowa because of the people, definitely not because of the money.

Some people can make a career at Kowa, but most use it as a stop gap or stepping stone to something better.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do.Not.Do.It.

End of story.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some very good reps there... However, employees are not appreciated- told frequently they can & will be replaced if necessary. Kowa HR - the absolute worst in the industry.
    Would not recommend this company to anyone. "Lucky" is getting out of Kowa! & anyone that has worked there knows.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's the best! You won't find a better company to work for. The best benefits package, the best and fairest bonus/commission structure, and definitely the highest base salary for a specialty pharmaceutical company. A small "family atmosphere" where you feel like they really care about you! Unreal vacation time, pension, profit sharing, stock options. Need I go on? The numerous products Kowa has here are clearly leaders in their class and the pipeline is robust! So many great new products coming out soon. The Management team here is phenomenal! They really have a grasp on the company's direction and the industry. You come here and you'll be energized, pumped, and ready to Make It Happen! You'll make tons of money and never be happier. I PROMISE!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I couldn't agree more!!

In addition to the amazing 1st in class products, robust pipeline, OVERLY GENEROUS compensation, pension, stock and profit sharing....I'd like to add the lowest turnover in the industry!

This past year was record setting: less than 50% turnover of the sales force for the first time ever! Granted it was 49.8% turnover, but a record is a record! When people start with Kowa, they stay forever; or 6-9 months, whichever comes first.

If you have an opportunity to work for this incredible company: Do it!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

....and don't forget that the pussy here is amazing! best in class...hottest chicks in the industry, no doubt.

you'll be proud someday to have Kowa on your resume!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is starting salary for experienced rep?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kowa may not pay the highest in the industry (possibly the lowest)....they may not pay the most in bonus (right there at the bottom again)....they may not have the best products (2 Me-Too's that don't offer anything generics don't expect higher prices and not being covered by insurance that most offices don't want or need)....they may not offer the best benefit package (to say the least).... and they certainly don't appreciate the efforts of their sales force......

But it is a relatively stable pharma job in a not very stable industry, with a company car with benefits (not very good benefits, but nonetheless)...Most of the DM's are super cool, which I can't say for most pharma companies.

If you can get by and will be happy with making less than most companies, than it's a pretty good gig.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With all due respect...let's just say you make 5K in bonus for the year (and that's a stretch). So you W2 65K for the year. Tell me again why that's a "pretty good gig"????

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you read the whole post (it wasn't that long) or just the pretty good gig line? The pros and cons were stated pretty clearly and even in conclusion there was the preface that it's a pretty good gig IF you can get by with making less, etc, etc, etc.

Believe it or not, there are millions of people who would love to have a job that pays 65, a company car and freedom to set your own schedule.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was hired 2 months ago. I got considerably more in base (84500). I find it hard to believe people are making 65.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, you didn't.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, junior...let's compare apples to apples. Yea, millions of flunkies without college degrees would enjoy to make 65K a year. People with 4 year paperwork and years of experience, some making 120K their previous couple of years...are NOT lining up for this "pretty good gig".

Face it, you can't move up in the corporate world so you sell yourself and others about how pharma layoffs and the economy....woe is me crap. Well, keep buying that attitude and maybe after Kowa you can achieve something a little lower on the totem pole.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Salary here is based more on geography then experience. 65k is the most i've heard a rep making base here.

Unless you are in territory that had high production such as parts of so cal, vegas, or parts of texas, you won't see more then 5k in bonus per year.

If you ever do see over 5k in bonus, the company will likely change the bonus structure to pay you less.

the benefits SUCK, the medical is damn expensive you still pay around $100 out of pocket per month on top of the $100 or so they take out for personal use of the car.

They demand 80% or so signatures per day and around 10 or so calls per day. If you don't use all of your budget, you will get red flagged and put on probation.

Marketing is a joke here, don't count on any support outside of your own doings. If you do apply here, just pray the previous rep was well liked and had good access so that you have a good hold of your territory from the get go. If the territory was vacant for an extended amount of time, don't even bother trying to step in and "do great things". Both products have too much generic competition to convince a HCP to switch over. Most of these HCP's are writing these products simply because they like the rep.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said! Let's not forget to leave out that IF those HCP's write our shitty products that almost every pharmacy in town will switch it to a generic....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is some serious reading comprehension issues with some people on here. O.k. "Junior"....If you had the attention span to read more than one sentence: obviously, "pretty good gig" is the only thing you are able to retain, so I'll spell it out slowly for you.

BEFORE, the "pretty good gig" was stated....are you still with me? Before those three words, I stated that the base salary is one of the lowest in the industry, the bonus is very low for the industry, the benefits are not that good and the products are "me too" with many generic competitors.

If your ADHD has allowed you to still be with me....I then said that if you are able to get by and be o.k. with the lower pay (for the industry)...that's "IF", now.....then, with the company car and being a relatively stable company in a not stable industry, THEN it's a "pretty good gig".

Believe it or not, there are millions of people who'd love a job like this: just like I said. Let's be real: the job itself (pharma) is much easier than the average job. That in itself, plus $65-$70K, plus another $10K for company car for one of the few stable companies in the industry. YES, that is desirable for many people: regardless of their education, experience, etc.

You throw around the $120K, etc, figures which USED to be more common in pharma, but was never any type of average or mean income: even for drug reps with experience. If you make 120K a year, you're in the top 4 or 5% of all earners in the U.S. Even if you were/are lucky to make that, you probably had/will have to go through a "realignment" of some kind every year and most likely were/will be laid off because they will find someone to take 50K for a base and be happy with it.

I stated facts, which I'll stand behind, and you didn't have the ability to comprehend anything but the pretty good gig line. I didn't say anything about not moving up in the corporate world, economy, excuses or anything close to that. I don't even work for the company, anymore; I just gave an honest assesment of the company to possibly help someone make an informed decision in their career. You're just on here to be a Douche, it appears. :)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was hired a little over a year ago. Base 76000. W2 was 98000 for 2012. Don't believe all the bs. You can do well here.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So they start the rest of the sales force at mid 50's to 61k, but you 76k. That sure makes sense. ?. Then you make an additional 22k in bonus, which is doable: but would put you in the top 10% of the country. Good for you, that's fantastic! But it's not realistic. For most in this company, 60k plus 6 to 12 k in base is where you'll be.