Glaxo Rising Star Connelly under pressure as drugs falter

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Oct 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This article sums things up pretty well. I will say I don't believe Witty and Connelly will be gone until after the sale of our oncology unit to Novartis - reason being both are most likely on the hook to receive millions after the sale is done. This is a reason why Hampton doesn't take on full duties til next year.

The issue I have is Witty and DC have both cost the company billions but will walk away with golden parachutes in the 10's of millions and that should make every stockholder and employee furious! I hope they get caught in a federal trade commission investigation and loose it all.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You really don't understand our industry, do you? The golden parachutes are much, much bigger than 8 figures. For example, Pfizer's Hank McKinnell got $180 million when he got clipped 10 years ago.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good point...the fact remains is they don't deserve .50 cents for the damage done to GSK.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Connelly, a native of Puerto Rico, came to the mainland U.S. to attend Lycoming College in Pennsylvania with a limited grasp of English. She began her career as a drug saleswoman for Eli Lilly & Co., eventually rising to president of Lilly’s U.S. operations in 2005.

This says it all.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is no way Witty will walk away with anything like that figure. He is on the low end of the scale for Pharma CEO's.

My guess is no more than 3 years salary which is what - 10 mill UK?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excellent reading. Bloomberg really did some great work finding key data ahead of the earnings call.

"Anoro has had an even tougher debut. In September, 11,602 prescriptions were written for the drug, though that’s up 17 percent from the month before.

Doctors say they don’t know what to make of it."

I was flabbergasted by the response they got: “Every Friday, every Monday, I get data,” Connelly said. “What that is telling me as I look at that data is that progression for these products is solid.”

Perhaps she is holding the charts upside down. "Progression" is so "solid" that we may need to employ a brand new plunger.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your point is that a Puerto Rican female, non-native English speaker should never be President of two (2) major pharma companies? I'd wager that she came much, much farther than you have, and had to face many more and higher hurdles.

I started as a rep in the late 80s, and my husband is African American. I was heartbroken to hear how my Marion colleagues referred to blacks trying to land a job here. To be clear, Marion was lily white at the time. By the time Sanofi bought us, I was a DSM in the Mid Atlantic, it had changed very little: cronies, relatives, and "politically connected" candidates got the nod over people I thought were better than the people I had on my team---but they didn't have the "Sanofi Synthelabo look".

Coming here a few years ago, I don't see much difference in our ethnic make-up.

Maybe I took your meaning wrong, but it appears that you have an issue with her ethnicity and maybe her schooling?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lycoming would be an average college students "safety school". All you needed was a pulse to accepted there. The academics are a joke.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TO BE CLEAR. you hear that y'all. TO BE CLEAR. Sounds like an Obama lover on the board. TO BE CLEAR.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does you having a black husband have to do with our pharmaceutical business? You have made the point as clear as it ever could be made: #1 I think you are bigoted seeing everything through the prism of victimization and skin color and #2 the original point the poster was trying to make was that she was most certainly elevated in her career precisely BECAUSE of her race, etc. Instead of being moved forward for her ability she's here mainly because of her demographic. DD is a major reason we have failed as a company these last 3 1/2 years. "We are the ones we've been waiting for!"

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Awesome #11 !

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#1 You are the original poster. No doubt you will respond to your post within the usual 8 minutes.
    #2 Victimization? All they did was say that Marion and Sanofi had bigots that worked there when they worked there. Get a grip!
    #3 How can you claim from that original vague post that the only reason she ascended was because of her race? You have access to her sales numbers, her annual reviews? You, madam or sir, have a real problem. You're probably the one that always makes claims about Patient First, EEOC, racism, Diedre, etc.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have encountered the board troll. I am sure you can expect to receive his vitriol when he responds by calling you an HR hack, PR boy or some other name. I am sure you are shaking in your boots when contemplating his wrath.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

both of these posts are stupid and not relevant to the topic started by the OP. The fact is performance in the US continues to be way behind plan. As a result DC should be held accountable.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clearly all of you know nothing about the work that Deirdre has done to make sure we could continue to work with the Government. If she had not done her job well we would have been worse off than we are now. She is fluent in English and in Spanish by the way. Her father was Irish American. How many languages do you speak?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hate how she pronounces "Jorge"

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lol. So I guess she can say "I failed" in three languages? She created a toxic non transparent working environment that's destroyed the company morale. A miserable leader and horrible motivator. She sold us all out to push along her PF agenda in order to suck up to Uncle Sam. A bad strategic decision because it's destroyed all motivation within the company.

Real leaders stand up and say no and push back when they are getting bullied. She rolled over like a cheap suit post CIA. now the company looks and acts like a circus. I have zero respect for that women.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It was the new regime managed care strategy since 2009 that led to the US decline more than PF. Their early decisions made the magnitude of the price decline in the US far worse than it had to be, and resulted in poor new product acceptance at reasonable prices as well. The large price decline is due to the scrambling they are now doing.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clearly you are correct most if not all of us at GSK knew little if nothing of the work dd was doing to undermine a once proud and profitable pharma giant. Yes you are correct we had no clue she would be able to destroy the energy and enthusiasm we all once felt for this company. And again you are correct in the fact we had no idea she would be able to demotivate and demoralize an entire field force in the matter she has. Then again if you would have told me in January 2009 that Obama was going to remake amerika into a 2nd world nation I would of laughed at you. So go ahead and brag on dd she has done a fantastic job of remaking GSK.