Let go: share other industries hiring

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:48 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, I was laid off last year. I was the rep stuck wondering what to do next and I came to this site just to hang out and complain like a little girl. I found a job a year later with the government making 75k but I'm building and pension and have great health insurance.
    I always wanted to know what other jobs people who where let go transitioned to outside of pharma. What companies, industries and pay scale worked for them. I was clueless where to look for work where my skills translated. I'm happy now but can we help each other here and post some ideas here to help each other out.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've seen a number of laid off reps get certified for financial planning careers. Many are doing well. Probably not a bad idea to plan ahead while still in pharma, maybe get a real estate license and be ready if the axe falls. Or flesh out a business plan for a new venture, ready to go, severance could help with start up if everything else is into place.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm glad you're happy. I was laid off last year too and have had multiple interviews with pharma companies, but can't seem to close the deal. Thinking it may be age? So, I went in a slightly different direction last fall and accepted a job in a related field, calling on nurses and med assistants. You think Doctors are tough? These women won't give you a chance to explain your service and are always too busy to see you, even for a minute! I'm miserable and want to be back where I was, just for a few years until early retire. Suggestions appreciated....

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Insurance field always hiring. P&C seems to be good place. Tough at first but if you can buy a book of business it gives your some renewals while you continue to build your customer base. How well you do is up to you not your stupid call plan or TBO

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One guy I know went to a marketing firm. He had an mba though. He ended up doing pharma marketing.

Another guy got a sales manager job at one of the contract rep companies.

And another is also in finance now.

Real estate and insurance can make you rich but take years to replace what you lose in income and benefits and usually never make up for what you lose. It takes tenacity and usually no salary so no money until you build the clientele. I was in insurance before pharma - it's a grind.

Car sales is another area I know a rep went into. Again, it's a grind. But good work. Plus, you get to work for an honest, unashamed and open a-hole rather than the undercover a-holes in
    Pharma.

My advice is to get as many degrees and legitimate certifications as you ca while working in pharma - MBA, project management cert., Six Sigma cert., MHA, Marketing masters, nursing degree, etc.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After being out of pharma for many many years, I got back in by taking a contract position and then got hired by the company. Great way to go. I'm no spring chicken so I don't think age worked against me.
    Good luck.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reality is pharma is a nice job gig to have...insurance, finance, real estate...sure you make money there but you can also make Zero (really negative money with associated costs)..for every successful real estate agent there are at least 50 who've tried it...long odds in those fields.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I write books and travel/promotions with workshops and seminars

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Since I always won the detailing contests at training and POAs, the only thing I was qualified for after my layoff was ACTING. It takes no thought. Just read a script and act like it's the greatest written literary of our time, exactly like DETAILING.

I have been in over 50 Community Plays and am commanding top dollar (waiting tables on the side)!

You can't believe how many openings there are for parts they call "GRATIS"!

I can't thank enough my past marketing team trainers and DBMs who pushed and pushed and pushed me to read everything off of the detail pieces and slides ad nauseum. Or I would never be in this great industry called ACTING in rewarding "GRATIS" parts, and waiting tables on the side for fun money.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Love Always,

An Adoring Fan For Life

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have sex all day bartender all night in Vegas

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That was funny as hell.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, if you want to prey on family and friends. Insurance sales is a dead profession. Most people have learned what a rip- off it is. Term makes you no money and the internet can sell more than any agent.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have 10+ good years here, its very difficult to break out of this industry and make within 75% of what you pulled. We are EXTREMELY profitable industry, and can afford to have multiple "sales people" hitting on docs that have heard the same detail 50 times a year for 4-14 years.

Contract pharma sales is by far the #1 job of the 30+ ex-Pfizer, Merck, and Novartis reps and managers that I know. I think #2 is a 3 -way tie between some type of network marketing gig, medical equipment, and financial planning. #3 is real estate. This is just MY experience, so I don't know how that translates into the whole of the industry. But the n= approximately 30.

Lets be clear: post 2004 or so, we were turned into walking and breathing commercials. There really is not much market for a $85,000-110,000 (in salary) commercials.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep Begging For Info

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stay where you are. 75K, secure, lifetime job, great hours, benes, etc. Retire in 20 years with 80% of your final salary, padded with "overtime" and you're sitting pretty.
    Sure, you'll make more money in Pharma but subtract the 15-20% you have to save in 401K, NO job security....you will never see a pension, benes disappearing, etc. and you are at least equal to pharma. The only plus I see is the company car which is worth at least 5K.

Be glad you are out of this dying profession.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know 3 pharma reps who are now working in marketing for hospitals (1 in marketing, 2 as physician liasons). Also, compounding pharmacies are hiring reps.
    Youre qualified for any sales job in a medical related field.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Friend just left another large pharma company after 12 years and got into devices. Base salary was same, more opportunity to make more commissions, benefits similar, also smaller company so not so much bs as larger pharma companies. It depends upon your personality and your tolerance and what you as a person are willing to put up with. Does all of the drama in pharma affect you emotionally or physicially, etc. Arw you a go-getter or a robot? etc. Do you enjoy being pummeled by the large company atmosphere.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Devices is not sales nirvana. Bonus/commission CAN be very good....Potential is there, BUT, you either make your number it or you are gone! It's a pressure cooker. And once you start making money, your quota will go up to reflect that...like any other sales job.
    It is a cutthroat business and a churn and burn business.
    I sold ORS equipment for 4 yrs. made 200k net first year, and 420k my last year. On call, had to work on Xmas eve and day one year. Had to do a lot of entertaining/ass-kissing to keep/ grow my business. Surgeons are all prima donnas.
    Hospitals started contracting equipment and it was over for me. Came to pharma and going into my 21st year. Had great years and some mediocre years, but still have a job working half the hours and 1/4 the pressure, and a six figure income.
    Above is absolutely correct. Take stock of yourself. Don't look at just the money. Life is too short to be miserable all your working life.