My only "crime" was that I cared too much!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

20 years in with Merck...I was always a loyal Merckoid...Kept my nose clean...Played by the rules...Tried to be honest....(Granted, I knew at a certain point that the industry had gone over to the dark side and as drug reps we became spinmeisters and paid liars.)

And what did I get rewarded with for my efforts...20 years of my life dedicated to this "ethical" pharmaceutical company?

Here is what I got...A young tool of a CTL, that was so obviously intent on my demise, that I vibed it from day one. This little prick didn't even know how to disguise his insidious little game...

Flash forward and I finally burned out...They chased me out of Merck, and now I am basically unemployable and will need to retrain in my 50s...This may ruin me financially.

For all of those decent people just trying to earn a living in pharma sales beware: This is a racket...This is a ponzi scheme...(In the sense that the senior managers always win at the expense of those below them) At the end of the day, pharma sales is one BIG SCAM!!

What a wasted time and wasted life it has been choosing Merck as a career.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bingo. My story, too, except my new CTL was a big fat pig. Same asshole, different waist size.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Loyal, hard worker, do the right things, get the work done, do the work right, never late, always early, do all the special assignments, go the extra mile, take on more, never skimp, never lie, always there, always willing to take on the extras, work for less, make those numbers, never walk over other people, perfect employee (in most HR books).........

But will probably be chased out very soon......

Sad, cause 50 is not an easy age to start again...........

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

None of what you did and what I did counted as essential at Merck. It is sad but true. Doing what you stated will never get you promoted to the HQ and reach positions where you get to stand in front of reps during a national meeting.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What matters is the job and benefits. Few care about ever having a center stage spotlight.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Count your blessings to have gotten to 20 years in one place. It is what it is. Accept it and move on as best you can.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Working the system reaps the rewards. Forget the caring, AK your way to awards, promotions, and $$$$$$.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't feel sorry for Reps who have 20+ years in the industry or with Merck. Youve had one of the best careers in the prime of Pharma. You've made hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. Many of you have lake homes and investment properties. I don't think its right for any company to discriminate based on age but please don't pull a guilt trip. What about the the 7-10 year Reps who never got large raises to build up their salary or a huge incentive check year over year. While your children are graduating college and moving out of the house many of us have young children to feed and daycare expenses. Unlike you 20 year vets I don't feel entitled. I simply see the job for what it is a good paying job that used to be a incredible career. I also feel fortunate that if I am let go at least I have a substantial severance to provide for my family. I'm sorry you 20 year vets can't buy that new sail boat or take your planned trip to Fiji this year. Take a step back and be thankful for what you have. Merck is a company not a person with feelings.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks for an excellent, proper, and healthy perspective on our reality. i didn't enjoy everything you mentioned in your post, but i am still one fortunate dude relative to so many others. i have no right to piss and moan about anything no matter how royally i got screwed by mutha. in the end, if one still enjoys good health, they have everything. don't believe me? just take a quick peak at your local paper's obits and see all the cancer related deaths in folks who were in their 50's and below. you got your health, YOU GOT EVERYTHING - NEVER NEVER NEVER FORGET THAT. Be well for sure. there is nothing that matters more than that.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now we have infighting and class envy within ourselves. I retired with 30 years. I made decent money. I never felt entitled to anything. Actually I felt I should work harder because I get paid more. Those friends that were tenured reps were happy to receive a larger severance package. I have yet to hear one saying they were so happy to get laid off. They have the same anxiety as many of you in deciding what's next. Yes the extra money helps them as a cushion to be able to look for a job longer than some of you. What sail boat? What planned trip to Fiji? Most invested the money and pension. One guy was always into travel and so he continues his hobby of several trips a year. But not what you imagine: frolicking in Fiji. We are very grateful. We don't and never felt entitled. P.S. All my trips are within the state I live in. Fiji is too expensive for me. I only know one retired Merck rep has a nice fishing boat, not a sail boat.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

20 years or 30 years...get a sweet pension, sweet severance and health benefits too....all sweet treats. Nothing to complain about at all.....ready to start a new life someplace else!

If I had less I might complain but even 15 ain't bad at all!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Younger reps. Tenured reps. We are all stressed out. Now we pick on each other. Kind of like cannibalization. You have not experienced nor seen the depth of entitlement until you talked to a UAW retiree. I talked to one last night who has retired for over ten years now. He is mad that he has to pay $50 a month for dental coverage for his family. He expects lifetime medical and dental coverage after retirement. He is mad that vision coverage is reduced or gone. He wants it back. Of course he is guaranteed GM discount for car purchase and other amenities. He is still not happy. He wants free dental coverage back, for life. I really have never seen anything remotely like that with the Merck reps even when we are not too happy right now.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you want to see something exactly like the UAW attitude, look no further than our very fine members of the primary/secondary teaching profession's union members in the great state of WISCONSIN. Forget about the fact that their "right" to bargain over wages WAS NOT taken away, but changes to their benefits package, AS IN NOW CONTRIBUTING TOWARD THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS PREMIUM so their jobs could be preserved was initiated by their duly elected state government officials so ALL WISCONSIN TAXPAYERS could enjoy a balanced budget without need of RAISING ALREADY PAINFULLY HIGH STATE INCOME TAXES on ALL WISCONSIN RESIDENTS OR A NEED TO LAYOFF ANY TEACHERS. The dumbassed union leadership, concerned only with their union jobs, acted in a manner demonstrating total disregard for their union membership's jobs. It's nothing short of ludicrous. This union behavior is an unfortunate joke on their members and on the taxpaying residents of the state of Wisconsin which already enjoys one of the highest overall tax rates in the country. Enough is enough. What we witnessed on television that happened in Madsion WI at the WI State Capitol courtesy of union "leadership" from all over the country with attendant damages and costs paid for by WISCONSIN TAXPAYERS was just plain shameful. I know of Wisconsin teachers and union members who were, in fact, ashamed of this behavior and believed they should contribute to their benefits package, especially if that meant saving their own jobs. Governor Walker's action was treated like the worst act of terrorism imaginable.....if anybody doubts the fragility of our society's state of law and order, look no further than what happened in WISCONSIN. Anarchists are clearly ready to take advantage of union ignorance in order to cause destruction and disruption of state and local governments across the USA. I now unfortunately am a legally authorized citizen who carries a concealed weapon, not because I want to carry a concealed weapon, but because I fear we have reached a point where local police can no longer be relied upon to protect the local citizenry. I do it to protect my family, if necessary. It is an enormous burdon of responsibility to accept but I'm thankful I live in a country that still affords me that right.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

let me tell you, purchasing Merck retiree health insurance is NO bargain.
    And there is no dental or vision coverage anymore.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Over the next few years the sh*t will hit the fan with all the taxes burdens.

All of us including the people who have 0 pensions, 0 benefits and stuggling to get by are going to be faced with continuing to pay for the big payouts for the other guy....Expect higher taxes of all sorts....much higher property taxes, income taxes, phone taxes, sales taxes, taxes from every direction. Expect more voices demanding reform to be heard....and the inequities to be seen by everyone. Politicians will be forced to make the changes that need to be made.

Teachers and other union workers getting fat salaries, lush pensions and cushy benefits for life will need to give up some or all of their entitlements. State and federal government give aways will programs will face big changes....

BIG reform must happen.....and will happen.....we have NO option.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try it on 5. Not sweet.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You get a better deal if you have been with Merck longer. I am paying $400 a month for medical and dental for the entire family. Vision was available when I was active but it was something you paid for it yourself.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you considered retirement or under 50?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These days learning to ak scores better than having a work ethic. Next job don't knock yourself out.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Props to the Original Poster.

Same story... different loser manager. The bull's eye is on over 50 with less than 10 years!! = Crappy severance/and or separation.