Somaxon and Dave Popp ="Dismal Failures"

Discussion in 'Procter & Gamble' started by Anonymous, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dave Popp and Somaxon are two of a kind - DISMAL FAILURES! Way to pick a winner. Maybe if he was engaged and had a clue things would be different. At least it's not costing us money but shows he's a buffoon. Phil Smith is the brains of the operation.

Somaxon Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: SOMX ) had promise -- it really did!

It wasn't that long ago that this no-name company with its razor-thin pipeline shot to the moon when the FDA surprisingly approved its sleep-therapy drug Silenor. Expectations were high, as it seemed very likely that Somaxon would either sell itself to a larger pharmaceutical company or sell the rights to its nugget of gold, Silenor. Surprisingly, the company did neither -- instead choosing to market the drug itself in partnership with Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG ) .

Here we are nearly one year after the partnership with P&G, and the preliminary results look like a dismal failure. Procter doesn't have much to worry about, as it has the option to opt out of this partnership after two years while Somaxon bears almost all of the risk and cost to market Silenor. Need further proof of Somaxon's cost burden? Let’s take a glance at last night's quarterly results.

Dave Popp, Procter & Gamble, Associate Director, Dismal Failure, Silenor, Karen Silvis, Tom Finn, Rich Schiano, Dan Hecht

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No surprise. Look what they have selling it! They got rid of everyone who knew how to do the job.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another case where the inmates are running the asylum!!!!!Somaxon R.I.P!!!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The company really thinks that they are going to sell any drug with Proctor and Gamble as a partner? P&G's reps have no accountability for their sales or even their calls - BAD choice and always will be!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy is still around? What a clown. He couldn't lead or motivate to save his life. I loved it when he told our South region how he was the only manager who hated people. He was totally clueless about the business and rude to boot. He's a buffon.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did he really say that? I hate the way this company treats it's best people.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I now know what a proctoid is.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our CEO needs to wake up. Fire the whole bunch, Popp is aweful, they got rid of the best when they screwed those folks sending them to WC. PG should have kept the pharma group, and cut 25% of force. Profit was more than most of the consumer brands. PG's stock is due to sorry leadership!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a great Deal!!! LOL

How in the world would P&G let these clowns get back into a Pharma deal when we sold off 2 years ago.......great thinking

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Somaxon buoyed by FDA word on OTC Silenor
    By Tracy Staton Comment | Forward | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Somaxon Pharmaceuticals sees a way forward with its sleep drug Silenor. The drug is a branded version of the long-generic antidepressant doxepin, so it's no surprise that generic rivals are already circling, a little over one year into Silenor's FDA approval. A marketing partnership with Procter & Gamble hasn't delivered a major spike in sales. The potential remedy? A conversion to over-the-counter status.

Somaxon announced today that, in a meeting with FDA and P&G, FDA laid out "a clear path forward toward an OTC version of Silenor." And according to the company, FDA didn't just indicate that Silenor could be developed into an OTC product. The agency also suggested that the sleep drug could win favorable labeling, namely some differentiation language around efficacy, safety and lack of addiction risk.

Meanwhile, Somaxon is scrambling to promote prescription Silenor while suing generics makers left and right. The company brought in a new SVP for sales and marketing, Michael Allen, to replace Jeff Raser, who's pursuing "other interests." Somaxon plans to put its contract sales reps from Publicis on the payroll. And it's wrapping up its co-promotion deal with P&G at year's end. The consumer goods giant remains in the mix on the OTC project; it has 120 days to negotiate for those rights before Somaxon starts courting other partners.

The problem remains, however, that Silenor is even more of a me-too drug than the average me-too drug. Though the company markets 3 mg and 6 mg doses of Silenor, much lower strengths than the lowest available 10 mg dose of doxepin, the fact remains that doxepin has been used as a sleep remedy for years, as Daniel Carlat points out at his blog. And Silenor competes with some well established insomnia drugs, several of which have gone off patent.

- see the release from Somaxon

Related Articles:
    Somaxon (finally) wins FDA approval for sleep drug Silenor
    Somaxon tries again with Silenor
    Somaxon shares plunge on second FDA rejection

Read more about: OTC, Somaxon, Silenor

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PG has a hot line to call in about employees doing things that they should not be doing. We need to get that number block your call unless you do not care and tell PG how sorry this leadership is. Bob McDonald needs to hear about these losers. They get rid of the best and send to WC when all they wanted was the drugs. Our managers said, oh, they will take care of our people. Give me a break, the writing was on the wall that Nov 1, 2009 what WC intentions were. What a dumb ass bunch of so call leaders, duh.

Pope, Silvas, Dan H, who thought he knew it all. Oh, by the way, I tried a while back to get into MDVIP, which is struggling thank you, and why would that be, Dan H is running that business. Well, that is where all the losers are being stuck so do not be surprised if that is sold off with those employees going with the deal.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a great deal LOLOLOLOLOL- Good job P&G......sell Pharma then get back in and fail again!!!!!!!!!!! What a surprise