What is the craziest thing your manager has asked you to do?

Discussion in 'Shire' started by Anonymous, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I will start. I once had a manager make every rep check voicemail at 6:45AM every morning to find out if he was riding with you that day.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any appointment/lunch off itinerary had to be approved by the manager at least 25 hours in advance.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

^24

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I once had a manager that would just show up to your lunches/appointments unannounced. The same manager would also only let you take a sick day if you went to the doctor and had a note. He would ask the same thing if you had a sick child. HR had to get involved.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

most if not all rd's are scared of management and are going to be anything other than puppets for those above. even if the requests are ridiculous and have no impact at all on sales (probably they will take away from sales activities) they are going to present it exactly as the script says and try to tell you how it is great it is.
    all you can hope is your rd has the ability to think for themselves. there are some that care about the development of their people, but most are just in the position to babysit, not develop and find reasons to write you up.
    is yours good or the puppet?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can say I have a great RD. However, with this new leadership my fear is that my RD is losing more and more ability to think for himself and work on development. It seems as if this leadership is installing more micromanaging tasks and fear in the managers. This may turn even great RDs into nightmares and that will just ruin the culture of this company which is a culture that built it to the successful company it became.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a great RD. He speaks candidly about what management is making him do and tries to alleviate as much as he can without putting himself or us at risk. You would be shocked to know some of the stuff they are being asked to do. Some RD's are out for themselves and may stick to the script and sell everything like its the greatest thing even if they don't believe it, some will do what they are told but are truthful when they deliver it to the reps, and some will push back, challenge management and only hand down to the rep what is necessary to keep them and us employed. The RD is not really the problem. Upper management is the problem. If your RD is making you do crazy things, chances are someone at top is making them do crazy things.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My last RD (no longer with the company) used to require our itinerary 6 -8 weeks in advance. Ask them what there schedule was and they would still be trying to figure it out a few days to a week in advance.

The same RD would also spend the entire time on the phone with his wife and screaming kids in the background during the field ride, but would reprimand you for taking a personal call during the day. He was the king of double standards.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy wins. Trust me I had him for one to many years.

6:30 AM Reps had to check email to see if Spota left any special instructions for them.
    - Failure to do this could result in you missing a surprise conference call
    - Missing a conference call would set you up for termination

7:30 AM Reps had to check voice mail and get Spota's daily instructions
    - The expectation was that voice mail be checked on the way to the first call
    - Spota called into the call center and checked when each rep actually listed to the message
    - Doing this too late in the day would set you up for termination

8:30 AM Logging Sales Calls
    - Reps had to log calls the instant that they finished speaking to the customer
    - Spota would check the time stamps for when the sales call was submitted
    - Reps had provide the following information in the call notes: Objective of the call, opening, pages in the visual aid covered, objections made by the physician, close, commitment obtained from the customer
    - Failure to submit calls immediately or provide the specified information in the call notes would set you up for termination

12:00 PM Reps had to check voice mail again
    - While working with another rep, Spota would sometimes see something that would benefit the team and would leave special instructions at noon

4:00 PM Phone Call from Spota
    - Spota would call each rep on the team between 1-5 times per day
    - His favorite time to call was at 4:00 pm
    - The call usually involved get grilled on how you where implementing his instructions or following the POA message.
    - In the event that you missed a call, you had to immediately text him the following information: why you did not answer, where you where, and the time frame that you would call him back. Failure to call him back would set you up for termination.

5:00 PM Reps had to check voice mail again
    - The expectation was to check voicemail a third time as you where leaving the field
    - Again, Spota would check the times when you listened to his message

5:15 PM Reps had to leave feedback to Spota about their day
    - Spota wanted to hear about: your total number of calls, best call of the day, worst call of the day, any other information specified in the 5:00 pm voice mail
    - Failure to leave feedback via voice mail would set you up for termination

6:00 PM Synchronize your computer
    - Expectation was that you synched your calls as soon as you got home
    - Spota wanted all reps to synch up immediately so that he could go through all of the reps call notes that evening.

6:00 PM - Midnight Surprise call from Spota
    - Spota reserved the right to call you at any time including late in the evening

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These are all pretty funny. I am shocked the reps didn't come together and revolt

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long was this person an RD? I mean how can you be heals accountable for availability before or after working hours? I mean 6:30 am check ins and phone calls until midnight? This extremes seem almost fabricated. I've worked some high pressure jobs but have never heard of expectations like these.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My former dm forced me while on a ride day to stalk yes stalk a dr that was no access , I had to follow the dr to a store / gas station . Pull out visual aide and per Vadim go thru the scripted bs call !! & do the shore hard close . Or else he said I could get axed . Needless to say dr was shocked & I never was allowed back in ! He almost filed a police report & wanted to charge us with harassment. I had to beg him not to . He knew I was put up to do this . And in my opinion he had a good reason ! I know another rep on east coast Her dm made her do same thing & in fact the dr did file a restraining order on her . Yet shire was proud of this ! He also used to do Friday night conference calls at 8pm or at 6 am . I could go on and on....

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RD for years. 7am Monday conference calls were the norm. Late evening and weekend calls were also normal. There are a few RDs out there who still operate like this.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unreal!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RD repeatedly texted rep between 2-4am, even after she was asked to stop, in an obvious attempted to get the rep to complain to HR so she could start an investigation on the rep in retaliation.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Work 40hrs per week

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had to drive 40 minutes to go home to get a tracking number for my RD because FedEx was late with a non-essential package I had to send him. On a Saturday.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

at one of our launches , my friend from training had a wedding planned that of course coincidence was same week of launch meeting . They had this wedding planned for a year ! He asked his boss about what to do . Shire response was you have 2 choices . You can get married and be released or you better be at the launch meeting . This is more important than your wife . And you wonder why shire is a cult !

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Someone on our team had to come back early from maternity leave for a launch.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was asked to respond to email and voice-mail during maternity leave even though I had a standard greeting set on both to say I was on maternity leave and who to contact. I should have contacted HR.