Everything @ Merck is a BIG DAMN SECRET

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Apr 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it would be less stressful in a corner while being poked at with a stick.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

But you are!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merck has the classic mushroom mentality!

kept in the dark, fed bullshit, and, when grown big enough, canned!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This was part of a LONG farewell letter I received today (the guy had enough of this companies crap and said take this job and shove it)

How did it get to this point? I know I’m not the only person who thinks the company has gotten noticeably more secretive over the past few years and explanations/discussions are delivered using an ever expansive slippery corpro-speak sheen that erases almost all tangibility. The company speaks to transparency, but it seems to be increasingly transparency on Merck’s terms.

Merck used to pride itself on sharing these results with its employees whether the results were good, bad or in between (and it was always fun to try to match the bat shit comments with the bat shit employee). I know some think sharing this information can be “messy” due to “noise” from certain individuals with agendas, but isn’t “messiness” innately part of transparency? (just as transparency is one of the messiest parts of our democracy). As the “data” gets worse on many issues, the company seems to be increasingly retracting into a safe place…think…um…the last years of the Nixon administration. You experience a few of these decreases in transparency and you lose trust. Everyone wonders how did those “crazies” at political rallies get that way?…well for a period of time they feel as though they are being lied to – whether it’s real or perceived…then someone tries to take something away from them…they lose it…it’s the same way you turn a rational, sane and reasonable scientist into a mindless torch bearing sycophant right out of “The Simpsons”. It really does feel like the moment when people really lost the trust of Merck senior management. To many it truly felt like the bean-counters gave everyone a swift kick to the gut…while we were already in the fetal position. Everyone understands it is a policy and the how and why of how it is calculated - but couldn’t have management just said “fuck it” – this is too much, we shouldn't do this. It’s ill-timing and tone-deafness was deafening. Even I admit, it really didn't feel right,