Who stays and who goes?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been here for 18 years. In the last 10 years about every 1.5 years we go through this layoff process. Each time we are told performance determines who stays and who goes. I have yet to see that happen. Many good people with high performance are gone. I would like to know how the decisions are made.

I assume performance is part of it. However Merck is doing this to save money so does salary factor in? I know distance that a person lives to center of territory has been a factor as are age, sex and race.

Does anyone have any insight into how these decisions are made.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Salary, pension accumulation and paying 401k match all play in. Friend was a multi award winner...god laid off in Oct.

So talented he got a 25% raise. Merck stink to high Heaven.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some reps make mega bucks.....In comparison, some reps make a peon's pittance.

Who stays......or is ranking a new wrench being thrown into the check off criteria?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like you answered your own question bro. Of course salary plays a part. And every situation is different, there is no one way to explain how decisions are made.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

On TC, DCO said they will do their best to keep "top performers". What I think top performer means is the people they are grooming to be future managers, analysts, dco, etc. Not necessarily looking to keep you just cause you won a vp club or two. It all depends on how they are defining top performers. Just my opinion.

6. The Guru

The Guru Guest

ONLY the strong warriors will survive. The remainder will be cast to the seven winds like dried camel dung.

So it has been said, so shall it be.

I have forseen this.

Go in peace,

Guru, Master of the Mystical Arts

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DCO ride-a-longs will stay

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depends on how you define "performer" and "consistently"
    Read the competencies to get a feeling, every item is vaguely worded and no words are defined.

So a top "performer" "consistently" (means when CTL etc is watching) provided....
    -if they miss the mark that day & "the team" wants that person, then rate them as "consistently" anyway because they would have except and we would not want to harm their chances. (They can do whatever they want when not in the presence of CTL, etc)
    -if they exceed expectation and "the team" thinks they are uppity, not compliant enough, allow the HCPs to embarrass them by accidentally exposing their incompetence, then rate them as "inconsistent" not-fully performing, etc. Solicit evidence from counterparts-did they leave a detail piece behind, do they use the detail piece, do you ever see them on territory

So the bottom line is: a "performer" puts on an excellent show during FV. They only speak at meetings when spoken to or to repeat a good point made by someone else. And lastly, they get that look of "I can't believe how stupid this person is but I don't what to get them in trouble by asking a question in front of the manager" from the providers.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Women stay. Blacks stay. Gay defiantly stays. Under 40 stay. O-tay.