Racism at Merck?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was astounded at the comments by Merck's CEO, Ken Frazier, at a Pennsylvania State University board meeting this week. I would not have expected the leader of a global corporation to have such uncultured comments on employment without due process and or use racist remarks. Is this a common environment and culture at Merck?

A recording of his comments can be found below:
    http://youtu.be/qbwRqj-Twg4

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listening to those comments, he seems to be a very angry person. Did he say, "Yeah, I said it" after he made the OJ Simpson comment? Very arrogant as well. I do not work for Merck, but was equally astounded at these comments.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Several investors who I know sold their MRK shares immediately on Friday when the story hit the papers. It's even more shocking when one listens to the audio.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I worked for Merck for 39 years through the very good and the very bad. The racism practiced at Merck has a long history and it is ALL reverse discrimination. I was forced to hire individuals that were only not qualified but were plainly uneducated all to fill QUOTAS! For a great many years, a white male was a very infrequent hire unless the individual was a managements child. It has mellowed out somewhat but it is still there and active. I don't know why Ken is even in the CEO spot - do you?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

a lot of hot gay men too. let's not forget them. shout out!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amazing but not unexpected

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow... that's pretty scary. that guy is a CEO how exactly?!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now I know were the racism comes from and it flows right down to the rank and file. I hope this is the beginning of the end.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would hate to be a employee for merck.... Frazier could care less about due process and obviously there are some "other" issues as well... "yeah i said it"

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well the arrogance Shows and this is exactly how the company is being managed.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a non-African American minority rep and with 30 years. Over the years I have to watch and endure the reverse discrimination at Merck too. I could not even complain about an African American colleague based on business reasons. My manager would say let it go or he/she has to think about how to convey the message. Merck wanted to do the quota game but afraid of applying the same expectation on us equally.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/03/penn_state_trustee_ken_frazier.html

Above you can find further information on this matter.

From the information I have why is this a racist issue? If Paterno knew theses attack on boys occurred and took no action that is it. It seems many fans and family of Paterno want to rewrite history. The systems were not in place to prevent abuse and hopefully this will correct that issue.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is the editorial in this morning's Centre Daily Times, the daily newspaper in State College, PA:

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/16/3542255/our-view-penn-state-trustee-frazier.html

Frazier told Cluck: “If you cared about that, you are one of the few people in this country that looks like you who actually believes the O.J. Simpson not-guilty verdict was correct.”

Frazier could have made his point without introducing a case that sparked anger and racial tension.

And Frazier’s “that looks like you” reference was an unnecessary and irresponsible jab. To introduce a racial element is as puzzling as it is inappropriate. Why go there?

As chairman and CEO of a major company, Merck pharmaceuticals, Frazier has certainly been in many verbal battles. He should have seen the line that should not be crossed.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the case itself has nothing to do with racism... the fact that a CEO of a company and a trustee would use such inappropriate language to make a point just shows that he is unprofessional and there is obviously something there that runs a little deeper. Based on some of the above comments, it seems it is trickling down through the company.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does Paterno have to do with the racist comments made by Frasier on Thursday? Since you brought it up, Paterno told his bossss as soon as he found out.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's keep the focus where is should be. Frazier made an inappropriate, racist, bigot remark and absolutely needs to be held accountable.

It does not reflect well on Merck and its employees.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It does not look like racism to me.

The CEO alluded to the OJ Simpson case. OJ is black and the CEO is black. The comment that just because the jury in the OJ case said OJ was innocent does not mean he was innocent. The CEO and the majority of US citizens do not believe OJ is innocent. The CEO made that comment since he himself is a black man. As in the Freeh report, there is enought evidence to justfiy actions agains the players in the abuse case. Therefore a black man disagreeing with another black man's verdict signifies that he does not take sides due to the color of a man's skin.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If a white CEO had made reference to the "appearance" of a black speaker, the CEO would be fired. The same standard should be maintained for Frasier.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you still miss the point... he said "a person THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU". So this guy he is speaking to is one of a few WHITE PEOPLE that think OJ was innocent. What if someone said the same thing to Frazier? ie that he is one of a few black people that think OJ is guilty. people would go crazy. He even said " Yeah i said it!"... thereby showing that he knew what he was saying was controversial. Is it overly offensive? no... does it have racial undertones...absolutely. is it appropriate for a CEO and trustee to use such analogies? H*LL NO!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand what you are saying. I think the other person fundamentally does not like Frazier and see every single word he said as unacceptable. We can argue over if he is a good or bad CEO. But in this case it has nothing to do with racism.