I wonder how many nervous breakdowns and divorces Merck has caused?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Imagine the stress of trying to be a head of household and
    primary bread winner when your CTL is trying to get you
    pushed out of the company...

Or trying to explain to your spouse, why you hate your job and
    feel so stuck, trying to fight the system and make a career out
    of pharmaceutical sales...(Which actually used to be a career job.)

the stress must be off the charts...throw into the mix a company
    that seems to have a scorched earth policy against their very own
    sales force, and you have a recipe for psychological disasters like
    nervous breakdowns, etc...

Serious discussion please...Aside from the thousands of patients
    whose lives have been ruined from Merck products, (Vioxx, Fosomax,
    Gardasil, etc) how many employees have never been the same
    after their Merck experience?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The stress was real and un-necessary. Anxiety and depression would begin on Sun. Petrovich and his stupid, " surprise field visits" accelerated it. Wasn't like that when I started and ironically the job itself, larger product line, different territory, higher training expectations, was much tougher than at the end. The difference? Management change. Un-realistic expectations sent out by morons to be enforced by idiots. Sell to the " metrics" to hell with common sense. As the product line eroded Merck ramped up the stress as if that would yield results. Of course it doesn't. It was a lot easier on all the posers when your portfolio was all blockbusters. Now, not so much. You never know how good a manager you have until you get a bad one. Mine was the worst. My wife and I celebrated when she got canned in Merck's last layoff. Same with the job. You never really know how bad things are until you get out in the real world away from " mean green." For me, money's about the same, jobs the same but little to no stress. We push pills for God's sake, not life and death and it shouldn't be some kinda stress induced anxiety ridden existence.
    When I was laid off in '08, the peak of the recession, UE 10% , with no job prospects, my first emotion was relief. I join the chorus of FU Merck. I survived.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sadly, I think this was felt in all divisions. If stroke, anxiety and insomnia are any indication, MMD was hit really hard too with complete butt holes as managers. Terrible. But I hear sales is incorrigible.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The irony is that back in the day when Merck was Merck Sharp & Dohme , the inside joke was that MSD stood for "married, separated, divorced". Apparently dropping Sharpe & Dohme has not change things much

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

An eye for an eye, my friends.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Save, save, save. Keep your eye on that goal!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

NONE~! It is just a job. If you took it personally, it was all your own dumb fault.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excellent posting…I think most that leave Merck end up joining the FU MERCK crowd…As you say in your post, all commons sense was thrown out the door, and this crushing stress with its accompanying chronic anxiety, was forced on mostly the older, more vulnerable reps, whose only crime was having been loyal to Merck for many, many years…

What a mean place it ended up being…I make about 1/3rd of the money I made in the pharma game at Merck, and have been sort of bouncing around from one crappy sales job to the next…(In my 50s too.) But as bad as things are now, I don't have that weird, sick feeling that I had everyday with Merck..Having to lie constantly to keep the job, and all the while knowing those lies would be used against me in a heartbeat, once they wanted me out…

FU MERCK…you are an evil company, run by evil, miscreants.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wah, wah, wah...mommie merck is making my job hard!

Grow up. Merck is not your parents.

It is/was just a job. Don't like it~~move on.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We didn't like it and we did move on. Can't you read? The only question is ( and trust me you will get this on your upcoming interviews) is: " Merck is no longer the Merck of the nineties, is far from the top tier company they portray themselves as, so if you are really serious about your career, why haven't you left?"

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who ever said Merck was my parents…You sound like the adolescent here, not me pal…

And I did move on so what is your point?

Me grow up huh? Look at your post again…nitwit

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

then why are you still trolling this board?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same reason people are fascinated with train wreck celebrities. You are amazed no-talents have gotten as far as they have and when it comes unraveled you're glad it's not you. In short, you Merckies are now little more than entertainment for ex- Merckies.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a highly negative post! Many people feel a sense of accomplishment after they put in a good day's work. The "only a job" workers get people in trouble.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree. The Merck circus as described by current employees and these CP boards remains a perpetual source of entertainment. The daily chuckle!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, I left the industry years ago a very rich man(stocks,real estate) but have a number of friends at various companies. It is delicious to read the posts re: the downfall of the most fun industry ever. When it was good- it was elfin great. big Pharma in the late 80's to late 90's was one long party, full of sex,drugs, and rock n roll.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the kids in the industry today, can not even fathom how amazing an industry it was…I remember back when i started in the late 80s, I was making good, (not great) money for working barely part time, eating at the the very FINEST restaurants in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica at least 3-4 times a week, and staying at 4 Seasons and Ritz Carltons like they were Motel 6s…In other words, routinely…

It really was one long party…I was severely underpaid compared to many of my colleagues over the twenty some years I was a rep…Still, I managed to travel the world, and buy a nice house…

I don't trust Merck at all for the future, so I will probably take a lump sum on the retirement when I am eligible to…I can just see Merck screwing their ex-workers out of their hard earned pensions…that would be right out of the Merck playbook of today.

Man, it was a helluva run though…I knew it would not last forever, but I am definitely amused at what today's generation of Kool Aid drinkers have to put up with on a daily basis…What a farce the whole thing became and the managers are just laughable in their ineptitude and dishonesty.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How does anybody have a sense of accomplishment at this company. If the goal is to bring better healthcare to society then this company ranks at the bottom of an industry that more often fails than succeeds by a ridiculous margin. This industry is more of a racket and this company excels at it. Drug discovery has been dead for the last ten years and sales and marketing push products of questionable value. Does anybody actually do a good day's work or do they spend most of their time appearing busy so as to receive that paycheck that reflects the fact that it is only a job?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The absence of common sense it what left me feeling most negative about Merck. There was always some BS to a degree with the job, but I knew I was working with people who shared common sense about things and would always do the right thing whenever pressed. That changed when the miscreants started occupying various management levels at Merck in the 90's. Merck in the 80's was a great place to work. It's been one long downhill slide since the mid-90's. That's when things were no longer making sense to me about what we were doing as a company and specifically the way field sales management had changed and metrics were all that mattered. Less and less made sense so I split and moved to real estate sales and started investing in real estate. I was able to finance an $800,000 parcel of land in 1998 that was in a next to nothing town adjacent to a college town. It's worth approximately $40,000,000 today and is my retirement program. Merck can go to hell for all I care.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I put in my 8 hours a day..truly.. as I am often up early in the morning completing nonsense paperwork or taking exams...endless. This whole job has become nothing but paperwork. What happened to actually engaging physicians and having real conversations and actually having pride in what you do. I have been around awhile with Merck, approximately 20 years. 1st 10-12 were the time of my life. Miss the old Merck.