Schein vs. Patterson

Discussion in 'Henry Schein Dental' started by Anonymous, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been going through a long interview process with Patterson. I am still waiting to hear if I will be a finalist. In the mean time, I found an open position with HS for the same area. I will be having a short phone conversation with someone from Schein in a few days.

Does HS have a similar sales model as Patterson? For example @ Patterson new reps get "scratch" territories and go 100% commission some time around the 3 yr mark. From my research, both companies have similar reputations in w/dental community and among employees.

I am looking for good, honest, professional input. Thank you

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"I am looking for good, honest, professional input. Thank you"

Why are you asking that here amongst anonomous posters ?

Smarten up. You will not be chosen by Patt, you are too dumb.

Step another rung DOWN and try with HS. Who knows, maybe the vet division will take you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Both companies have very strong reputations, although depending on your geography, one may be a bigger player locally. In my experience, Schein reps can be brutal---they work very hard, but are often extremely cut throat. Patterson reps work hard as well, but have always seemed easier to work with. From what I have been told, compensation at each company is similar and yes, new reps usually are given the accounts that other reps at the branch have not been able to sell. If you pay your dues and work hard, around year three, you probably have the opportunity to make 100K. Keep in mind that all your expenses are usually your responsibility---car, fuel, lunch meetings, etc...Sometimes you can negotiate on this front. I have some acquaintance friends who work for both companies. One Patterson rep has been with them for 10 years and made about $300K last year. Rumor has it that one of the veteran Schein reps made $500K last year (she's been in the territory for close to 20 years). Good luck.
    P.S. Schein's animal health division, Butler, operates in a similar manner, but compensation is generally much less.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for your information. These positions give a candidate a lot to consider

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Schein is a better/stronger sales organization. They work with their accounts to sell to them. Patterson, on the other hand, has lost their market share in sundries and is clinging to technology, equipment and Cerec to make their money. Schein is more cutthroat. Patterson is more gossipy/soap operaish / childish management.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I noticed during a ride-along with a Patterson rep that they are taught to not really discuss supplies, sundries, etc. and focus on equipment and they hope other products will come. From what I understood, they don't have as much ability to work on the price for those products. I can understand both sides.

In the West, I believe Patterson has a larger presence than HS. I originally was in the Midwest long ago in Dental Sales and everyone bought from HS in that area. I think the personalities and business philosophy with HS suits me better though.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Flip of a coin. Three years to maybe get to $80,000 plus you have to pay your expenses. In my area a 15 year Patterson rep left his territory to become a manager. They replaced his territory with 3 reps. Not like the good old days. A bunch of competition...Benco, Darby, Grey market and grey market wholesalers offering legit private label products.