4 Signs That You Are Working for a Failing Company

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Mar 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are You Working for a Failing Company?
    by Marc Miller

I have multiple clients who currently work for failing companies.

These companies fall into a variety of industries:

High Technology
    Pharmaceutical
    Telecommunications
    Oil and Gas

Each of them have worked for these companies for many years. Do they see the signs that the businesses are failing?

Well…they see it, but it is easier to bury their head in the sand than to admit they really need to get out!

So, what are the signs?

Repetitive Layoffs, RIF, Resource Action, or Redundancy

I have one client who works for a major pharmaceutical company. The building is starting to look like a cemetery—hardly a living being there. When there are more open desks than filled, that is a sure sign that you are working for a failing business.

How many times have I heard, I made it through the last layoff - I am safe!

No, it is not if you get laid off, but when.

This may well be a sign of a failing company!

Circling of the Wagons

This can typically be seen in upper level management, where the old guard circle the wagons and protect their own. One symptom I have been seeing is bright up and coming women being pushed out by older, more established men. You might call this the return of the “good old boy” network.

This usually happens before a major layoff. Upper management starts to maneuver themselves into prime positions before they screw everyone else.

Generous Pension Buyout Offers

I’ve had many clients who have been offered lucrative pension buyout offers within the last six months. They are “take it or leave it” offers, with the requirement that they retire. Most of these clients have been at their companies 30+ years, and are not in a position to retire (with children heading off to college, spouse with health issues, other mitigating factors, etc.).

They tell me, “If I can last just five more years…”

But beware—these offers expire quickly and will never be offered again. I tell them, “They want you gone! Figure out how to make it work!”

Reminds me of 1999, when IBM converted my pension to a cash balance plan and then switched it back for everyone who was over forty years of age. Oh yeah, minus a whole bunch of perks—like health insurance. A former boss of mine said:

They took it away and gave it back, they would never do that again.

IBM stopped funding the pension in 2008. I left in 2000 with a lump sum pension payout. Best financial move I ever made!

Management Bad Behavior

Have you seen bullying behavior?

Have your manager’s e-mails become more and more terse?

Do you feel like you are being shouted at in e-mails?

These are all signs of stress in the workplace. When a business is failing and in a tailspin, there is more work to be done by the few that are left. Stress levels increase exponentially. This brings out the worst behavior.

Does any of this sound familiar? If so, you may be working for a failing company.

It may be time to move on in your career!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/4-signs-you-working-failing-company-marc-miller

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't argue with this post. Throw in the fact that metrics are back, reps driving around seeing bottom dwelling customers, doors are closing to Pharma reps, raises are minimal at best, NMIP points keep you motivated and you have managers riding your ass ragged. Where's the love?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A good sign that you are working for a failing sales organization is that headquarters does not care that the sales people can ever figure out how they are paid and how the bonus is structured.

It started out several years ago that you were clear on the payout structure in the first quarter. 3 years ago you finally figured it out in the 4th quarter after the metrics and rules changed a few times.

Today you just keep an eye on your bank account to see what was deposited.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

....And the top sales people who used to win a family vacation, now "win" glorified merck meeting where they must vacation with coworkers and cannot take their kids. On Mothers Day to boot. no thanks.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is a sign: you hate Mondays......trying to act busy.....just treading water and trying to avoid a policy letter.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Short pipeline, terrible managers, EX VP promises not fulfilled, benefit costs increase, pensions smaller. Sound familiar?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe I saw this movie. Wasn't Mel Gibson in it?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merck is not failing. Merck is "Transforming". A simple word which allows senior execs to accumulate wealth during the final phase of the company's life cycle.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Brilliantly stated. Let's screw over as many (former) Merck people as possible….and get paid millions to do it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Short pipeline plus no product line.
    Januvia and some vaccines. Anything else?

Does Merck even promote Vytorin anymore?
    Another good product brought to its knees by incompetent deciders.