Is RMSR Training Important or Needed?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by Anonymous, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. docnoakes

docnoakes Guest

I am a chiropractor in Las Vegas, NV. As such, I have a Doctorate of Chiropractic (DC) and also a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology / Pre-Med. I owned a practice here for 4 years but had to close last year. I have been wanting to get into medical device sales, particularly in the spinal / ortho / neuro markets since that is what I'm most familiar with. I am professional, motivated, intelligent, well spoken, and personable. I am even willing to relocate. I know I am educationally qualified for these types of jobs. In fact, one of my patients was a Medtronic sales rep for 7 years in the Spinal and Biologics division, and his educational background was in political science and economics! I have sent gobs of resumes to the HR website portals of several companies (including Medtronic and Orthofix), but I can't even so much as get a respnse. It's as if I have the plague. Now, I know I am not special - there are probably 1000 other applicants duking it out for the same jobs. So in the interest of being pragmatic here and improving my chances (and not sounding like a big whiner), I have been considering getting the RMSR certification. I keep reading about it, but at least half of what I read says "don't bother". I am always willing to educate myself, but I am unwilling to spend the money if it's a waste of resources. Any words of wisdom from the Oracle? ANY help is much appreciated. Cheers!

2. docnoakes

docnoakes Guest

I am a chiropractor in Las Vegas, NV. As such, I have a Doctorate of Chiropractic (DC) and also a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology / Pre-Med. I owned a practice here for 4 years but had to close last year. I have been wanting to get into medical device sales, particularly in the spinal / ortho / neuro markets since that is what I'm most familiar with. I am professional, motivated, intelligent, well spoken, and personable. I am even willing to relocate. I know I am educationally qualified for these types of jobs. In fact, one of my patients was a Medtronic sales rep for 7 years in the Spinal and Biologics division, and his educational background was in political science and economics! I have sent gobs of resumes to the HR website portals of several companies (including Medtronic and Orthofix), but I can't even so much as get a respnse. It's as if I have the plague. Now, I know I am not special - there are probably 1000 other applicants duking it out for the same jobs. So in the interest of being pragmatic here and improving my chances (and not sounding like a big whiner), I have been considering getting the RMSR certification. I keep reading about it, but at least half of what I read says "don't bother". I am always willing to educate myself, but I am unwilling to spend the money if it's a waste of resources. Any words of wisdom from the Oracle? ANY help is much appreciated. Cheers!
    -Dr. Nathan Noakes (docnoakes@yahoo.com)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank you Diane and the rest of the staff of NAMSR. I just recently passed the RMSR exam. I would not have done it without their assistance and all the learning I received from the NAMSR Training Manual. The added RMSR Certification credential has been big factor in my resume as I am now getting called for numerous medical sales interviews. I recommend the RMSR to anyone looking to get into medical sales.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been doing research and calling medical device companies and I have found that RMSR Training is becoming more popular as medical companies look to hire new reps with some industry education and training. The RMSR Certification is for those who are looking to break into a medical sales career. The training is offered as a web based training program through the association. By obtaining a RMSR, medical sales candidates will possess the industry and product knowledge that medical device companies are looking for.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New sales training strategies such as the RMSR Certification have taken place over the last decade as the medical device companies do not have the luxury of being able to do the same things as before the new sales rules and guidelines. The emphasis is more on having a quality and educated exchange with the physicians. E-learning is becoming an effective tool for certain part of medical sales training. Medical device companies increase their use of outside training resources and prefer or require an RMSR certification.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is always a risk when taking a course from an institution that you probably know very little about. Certainly, the National Association of Medical Sales Reps is well recognized by medical device companies and the industry sales reps. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Because of what I heard from some medical device reps, I felt that it would be o.k. but still I was nervous that it could turn out to be a Mickey Mouse course. Paying for the course ($245) can be an expensive endeavor for some of us.

As an experienced business woman, I was feeling a little cynical, but actually the RMSR course exceeded my expectations. I found all of the industry information to be comprehensive, informative, enlightening and really preparing students to have a good foundation prior to embarking into this very tecnical business.

I would certainly recommend the RMSR course because not only did I learn alot but it did lead to me accepting a medical device sales rep position. I have read some negative comments above and believe me there is no way that any medical company would look at industry training and education as a negative. Those comments are from misinformed bloggers. The RMSR Certification was certainly the main factor in obtaining my initial interviews with over 5 different medical equipment companies. I will tell you that I was offered a job because I interview very well. I typically do not respond to these type of blogs but felt that someone needed to set the record straight here.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The RMSR Certification provides independent verification of an acceptable level of medical and industry vocational expertise. Basically, it means that medical sales applicants have completed the steps required and education it takes to work as a medical sales rep A medical sales applicant who obtains the RMSR Certification demonstrates to medical device employers that you are, indeed, educated to communicate with physicians and hospital administrators, and that a reputable, recognizable organization is willing to attest to that.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it's an extremely comprehensive program-the RMSR Certification is designed to help people enter a medical sales career and allow medical device employers to hire trained applicants. The four important components of the system involve medical industry knowledge, healthcare industry selling techniques, medical industry selling regulations, and medical terminlogy. Many companies are requiring NAMSR members and new hire to participate in the RMSR certification program. This is the only program I've seen designed to help both medical sales applicants and the medical equipment companies.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't have a degree and received my RMSR about 3 years ago. I work for a Cardiology company presently but looking to get into Orthopaedics. If anyone hears anything please post here. The RMSR programs is very valid and they have good leads for people looking to break into a medical device sale career.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am 47 and received my RMSR about a month ago. I have been interviewing with quite a few medical device companies. Most of them have been medium sized medical companies and some medical distribution co's. My age has not been an issue as they seem more interested in my sales background and recent medical sales training. There seems to be quite of bit of growth within the companies I am interviewing with (cardiology-heart stints, diagnostic testing, imaging device and an orthopaedic device). I am supposed to hear back next week and crossing my fingers for a positive response.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I took the RMSR Certification training because my company Abbot Medical wanted me to. It was great for acquiring industry knowledge that I did not have. I think the RMSR Training will really help with a medical sales career.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I do recommend GlobalMedical Alliance as a great company. Their services are free but they require all reps to have their RMSR Certification before they hire them.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had been interviewing with a medical device company when they asked if I had taken or enrolled in the RMSR Certification program. To be honest I had never heard of it. I recently just passed the RMSR Certification and when I sent out my resume with the Certification on it, I started to get many more interviews. I am anxious to hear back next week from 2 medical companies who I interviewed with. I will keep this blog posted.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Demonstrating to others that you have been board certified and have met the rigorous standards required for a medical device sales career is something worth pursuing at the first available opportunity. Why wouldn’t you want people to know how qualified you are to do your job as a medical sales rep. My company always looks for a RMSR Certified applicant. BOB - J & J

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The RMSR Certification course is a designed and structured course to give you the maximum benefits for a career in medical device & equipment sales. It is a rigorous course designed to promote you to a medical device sales position where you not only pass the test but have a practical understanding of the industry and selling techniques used to promote to hospitals and physicians. This is definitely not a brain dump course. I completed the course and immediatley felt a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. But the main purpose was to gain employment in the industry which I am happy to report accepted a medical sales position just over 3 weeks ago.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work for a large staffing firm which recruits for medical sales reps and many of our large medical clients will ask for as well as seek out the RMSR training in resumes. I recommend this training to several of our candidate clients. The RMSR training should help you.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reps need to certified, trained, registered and verified (HIPAA, Vendormate, RMSR Certification, etc). Anyone thinking otherwise is not well informed.

18. This is great advice Mace. I have 25+ years of successful outside sales in the office products (copiers/fax) and leasing industries and would like to make a transition to medical device sales. I'm in my early 50's (and don't know if that's another hurdle for getting into this industry). I've put in numerous resumes over the past few months with little or no response back.

My frustration is that a lot of medical positions listed on The Ladders, Career Builder, etc., for medical device salespeople are "company confidential". So there really isn't any way to follow up, show interest, and separate yourself from the pack that is sitting back and waiting for a phone call regarding their resume. I'd love to be able to "follow up" and show that a company that is what I'd also do if I was working for them, and have a chance to engage in a dialogue with them. But in the Internet age of application, screening, and no human intervention/contact in the early stages, how does one "follow up" and reach a live person? Especially if the company name isn't even listed? I interview very well, but can't get to that stage. I need to give my "story" to a hiring manager as to why I'd be successful with their product and what value I could bring to them, especially since I am coming into medical sales from another industry. Any suggestions as to how to more effectively get through to the pre-screeners and hiring managers?

Thanks - skilled but frustrated in Sacramento...

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make sure to include all of your medical education and training on your resume because it takes a combination of sales experience with industry knowledge to get those needed interviews.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If one doesn't have medical sales experience, how important is it to have that typical b-2-b sales experience (copier, business supply, etc) to enter medical device sales. I have been a residential d-2-d salesperson for 7 years now (selling gourmet frozen steaks/seafood,etc); successfully too. It by far is the most gruesom, physically taxing, and mentally exhausting sales job you would ever do (as I've done b-2-b) previously to compare. However, its not very technical, nor receive a lot of glamor/respect, etc. Any suggestions on using my success in my current sales field to propell me into medical device sales (and I do have a B.S. in Biology and a M.A. in Kinesiology to boot)?