Is The Journey Knee The Worst TKA On The Market?

Discussion in 'Smith & Nephew' started by Anonymous, Jan 1, 2014 at 4:58 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Barely anyone uses this garbage design out here, yet we seem to see one of these coming in for a revision once a month. Instability, component loosening, stiffness....you name it. Revised 1 for recurrent DISLOCATION last week. What a terrible design. Get your shit together, SN.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What do you not like about it?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The J2 was supposed to solve the stability issues, but we continue to see these come back for gross instability as well. Had one doc who'd done his fellowship at HSS give it a try and bailed after ten cases because he wasn't getting close to the results he'd gotten with Vanguard or Triathlon. It's a poor design. Severe J curve makes it difficult to balance, so says the doc that had evaluated it at one of my accounts.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just revised a J2 for instability. Doc asked the SN rep to report it. Rep left the room without taking down any implant information. Perfect films. Rotation fine. Loose tibia and unstable. Less than 6 months after the primary.

Looks like the J2 is taking after its predecessor.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

didn't they design the post to be 4mm taller? that was the "fix" for patients that jumped the post on original Journey. i thought that was the whole point to J2. Fix all the issues on J1.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Validation failure

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No reason for me to try and push this in my territory. I can't get an upcharge for it and Gen2 has worked decently for me. Not worth the headache, and, to be honest, I just don't trust it after the J1 nightmare.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When your Dr.(s) start losing patients to the guy down the street because they are doing the "get around knee" or something that feels like a normal knee, you will change your tune. You don't have to push it, just let you Dr.(s) know you have an option for the high demand patient. 30 year wear technology is great, but it's still is a traditional replacement. At the end of the day, if you're not using the Noble Study other companies will be. Targeting....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Like a competitor, you make it sound like 10% were post jumping? I bet Marketing regrets the day they said "don't put this knee in too tight"...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

=Anonymous;5063873]When your Dr.(s) start losing patients to the guy down the street because they are doing the "get around knee" or something that feels like a normal knee, you will change your tune. You don't have to push it, just let you Dr.(s) know you have an option for the high demand patient. 30 year wear technology is great, but it's still is a traditional replacement. At the end of the day, if you're not using the Noble Study other companies will be. Targeting....[/QUOTE]

isn't this the same story we heard on the first journey? this response from corp. is the whole reason this thread exists.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are entitled to your opinion of J2. The need for a higher demand TKA is real and the Noble Study emphasizes the lack of patient satisfaction. No ortho manufacturer would argue this. Hence we have persona, attune, evolution, etc.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not questioning the perceived need. Just questioning the credibilty of J2 and those behind it. Your repeating all the same things you said on J1.
    My opinion of J2 will come in 3-4 years, or however long J1 survived in the AUS market. Until then, target some uneducated customers for this.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's you're job. Wouldn't you rather them be using J2 than the competition? In 3-4 years, you won't have any business. Are you going to wait for good data on CR knees? After yesterday's news this 4th tier company will be lucky to stay fourth. Competition won't be selling 90's technology...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The BCS cam design allows the knee to act like it's got an ACL, doc!

lolololololol

Seriously, how do you tell a surgeon that with a straight face?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Revised a J2 today for dislocation. Let me tell you, that looks UGLY on an X-ray. I thought SN fixed this?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lots of pressure from up top on us to sell this, but I'm still a little gun shy from J1. Waiting on at least some short term data that shows the instability and dislocation issues have been solved before I jump in with both feet. In the meantime, Gen2 works fine.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

our 300,000 knees done with visionaire have validated that there is no such thing as normal anatomy. To come up with an anatomical design when there's no such thing as normal anatomy is ridiculous.this seems to be a popular design with those who are paid to find it to be a popular design. For the typical orthopedic surgeon, it has no real value.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with your premise. Most Orthopaedic surgeons are typical and are ok with giving a typical implant and doing typical work in the OR.

And most patients getting TKAs need more deformity correction than J2 can offer w/o the bells and whistles.

But, there are patients with higher demands that will benefit from J2. Period. It is our job to find those surgeons wanting to please those patients and show them J2. VERY GOOD DATA is accumulating...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Boutique knee...