Rankings: Always motivating?

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quick question for the group: In sales it is widely believed that posting team or sales force rankings is motivating particularly for those in the middle or bottom. However, is this really true? In thinking about sending out QTD sales figures, I thought about the effect it might have on members of my team. I have 4 veterans (4+ years) and 4 rookies (<1 year). While each is a competitive animal, I wonder if sometimes, especially in this competitive environment where reps are dealing with so much more than in the past when the "conventional wisdom" came to be, if the rankings may actually de-motivate some whom I am wanting to reach. My thought is that an individual who feels that they are doing the best they can, and have been checking all the right boxes, would feel even more beaten down. In a management culture where we try to fix what's wrong as opposed to maximizing what is right, are rankings an effective method? Or am I just too soft?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

here's some advice. Quit bombarding every company's threads on CP. Ask your mentor for this kind of advice not an website w/ a bunch of disgruntled reps... If your a RVP coming on here for advice you than you have bigger problems than posting your teams numbers.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I totally respect that you are actually asking this, as this was one thing that in my previous company, so many newer reps, felt they were never good enough. The best thing a manager can do, to increase morale and sales numbers, is simply ask each rep, how he/she can assist them and what they need from him/her, and to make sure they are willing to do these things. Being compared to reps that have been there 10 years plus, usually have established accounts/larger accounts, and longer relationships, does little, especially when it's constantly in your face.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed! 110%

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank all for the replies...

8:09-I am an experienced rep, RM, RVP, and National Director with over 15 years in med device sales management. If I have learned 1 thing from former managers from whom I said, "I will do that different..." it is do ask and seek out other opinions, regardless of who they are from. I do not pretend to know all and I work hard to challenge the beliefs I do have in order to ensure I am still looking at things from the right perspective. Rule #1...seek to understand. Rule #2 You will never know it all and things change! I would challenge you too to ask yourself if what you believe is till true or should you seek out other ways of doing things! You might just pick up something that is helpful.

Thank you once again and good luck.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ADMIRABLE and INSPIRING!
    I believe that what you are doing is a wonderful thing! I applaud you for taking the initiative to seek the opinions of the sales force. I am currently interviewing for a spot and would definitely have no hesitation if I knew that I would be working for you. Having worked in a competitive environment, it brings morale down when all a rep would hear is that their numbers are inferior to the veterans numbers. Successful reps need the competition but also need to know they are doing a great job unless they aren't producing. Good luck!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but I work for a competitor and asked the question on many "similar" companies' boards. However, I have heard many positive things about Stryker as an organization. As you already probably know, an organization is only as strong as it's people and culture. I would encourage you to ask the hiring manager what his/her willingness to challenge the status quo is. Cultural shifts can only come if a respectable level of "rebellion" is allowed to exist and senior management allows for healthy discord. There are open minded and supportive managers everywhere. Unfortunately though, we are still outnumbered by those who subscribe to "old school" dogmas! It is a shame that too often situational perspectives become platitudes. Again good luck to you.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The "old school" thinking and approach will fail in this fast paced changing environment!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

quit hiring pussies. not everyone gets a trophy

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clearly this poster ^^ could have chosen some kinder words, but the gist of what he's saying is actually spot on. Sales reps are a different breed. They have to be - regardless of the field in which they're selling. If you show a bad rep his low numbers and he gets "discouraged", then he's probably not the rep that you want on your staff. That's not to say he's a bad guy (or girl), it's just means that he/she doesn't have the competitive edge that reps in this business MUST have. A competitive rep with bad numbers would motivate the crap out of himself and raise his sales. Now, sometimes a rep with bad numbers isn't a bad rep at all. Perhaps he just is the victim of a poor region. If that's the case, its the RM's job to identify that. That's why they pay you the big bucks. But, if I were you, I would never hesitate showing a rep his numbers or showing the group the company's rankings. The facts are the facts. If you're hiding the truth from someone to avoid hurting their feelings then you should seriously reconsider your position...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a turn and burn enviroment now days. Why would an outstanding rep with big numbers give it up to be a manager with no security? So I think this post is a product of Strykers own fear enviroment. The best won't ascend the ranks to just be terminated!

So you get what you get.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

....The best reps rarely make the best managers unless company wants its manager to be a glorified rep and part time babysitter/shrink

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I absolutely believe in transparency in rankings. I remember when I started out, I was one of the smallest territories and I used those rankings as motivation. Never did I look at the rankings and feel depressed. Anytime you are starting out it's going to take time to build your territory. But good reps are confident that have what it takes to do that. I have a top 10 territory now and it's a great sense of accomplishment looking back to where I started.

If a rep is not motivated by seeing his name down the list of rankings, it's likely you don't have the right rep.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I too believe in transparent rankings, when I get approached by my manager and he inquires as to why I'm at 75% to quota, it's an easy platform for me to remind him my pricing took a 30% hit at my largest account. I'm up 10% in cases over last year, and picked up knee business from a competitive doc. I also remind him I'm paying quarterly rebates back to 2 hospitals. I will be lucky to make half what I made last year and I put up with all the bullshit that is Stryker. Can't get sets, warehouse mistakes, inventory mistakes, pay for everything including reptrax, car, phone etc. I'm getting ready to make a change and take the relationships with me. Already lost 5 reps at my branch, Stryker needs get a fucking clue!
    Where is the LEADERSHIP?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are so good-why not find another job where your wonderful skills will generate lots of money. Unhappy people like you are a cancer.