Honest Feedback about Trifexis

Discussion in 'Novartis Animal Health' started by Anonymous, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello. I'm a former NVD Rep with 12 years in pharma/vaccine sales. I don't believe everything I read on the internet and understand how frequently things are blown out of proportion when it comes to medications, side effects, etc.

I'm looking for some honest feedback from colleagues about Trifexis. We've used it for almost a year in both dogs without incident. Yesterday morning, my 5yr old high-energy, extremely athletic boxer/ridgeback mix had her monthly does. Approximately 8 hours post-dose she began to act in a bizarre fashion that I can only describe as a "stupor". She became extremely lethargic and her heart felt as though it was beating very hard. Her breathing seemed erratic. She clearly heard me say "come" but she seemed unable to move. We planned to call the vet in the morning.

At 1am we woke up to find her sitting upright in the bed, just staring at the wall somewhat non-responsive. We tried feeding her a bit of food and she ate it, then tried to return to bed very concerned but still thinking we'd call our vet in the morning. We tried to get her to hop into bed- she resisted at first then finally tried, but she missed the bed and I had to catch her to prevent her from falling to the floor. This dog can normally clear a six foot fence with room to spare.

At that point we took her to the pet ER in a nearby city, where they performed a full blood workup. She was slightly dehydrated and they gave her fluids, but it was not excessive. The vet said that "her heart valves do not sound as crisp as they should" but we have N-E-V-E-R had any issues with her before- she is a very healthy, active, athletic dog. They recommended a follow up with our regular vet, which is scheduled for Tuesday. (Today is Friday).

Meanwhile, it's now 28 hours post dose with very little improvement. She ate a bit more food this morning, but she's still so clingy that she crawls into my lap (a 65 lb dog mind you) and just shakes. She wants to be held constantly and she is clearly very frightened by whatever she is experiencing. She's still having heavy breathing on an intermittent basis.

Please, I am just looking for some honest feedback from persons who know the product. I've never seen my dog like this. She's normally like "Tigger" (boing- boing- boing all day long) and she still can't even climb up onto the couch without assistance. She's just laying there, desperately trying to breathe and looking to me for help.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all, you need to contact your Veterinarian that you purchased Trifexis from, and have him file an ADE report with Elanco. I am sure Elanco can speak to any of your concerns.

Secondly, I would not depend on this forum for an educated answer to your concerns. This place tends to be a sandbox for reps that want to bash the competition.

Best of luck, that must be very scary for you and your dog!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you. I did file a report with both.

I was looking for the half-life and the clinical studies yesterday... I only found studies for six months. My dog has been taking it for 18 months. Are there any extended studies?

And, I agree- not the place for informed conversation, except that (a) I was desperate and (b) once in a while someone thoughtful and kind, like you, might help.

Thanks again.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spinosad has a long half-life. Studies show elevated ALT (liver) in all treated dogs.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Effects on the liver appear as they may build up over time. Perhaps the liver cannot clear the medication from the body within the 30 days between doses, thus causing cumulative effects.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To OP,

Just out of curiosity, why would post this question on the Novartis board about an Elanco product? FYI, I've heard from many veterinarians in my area that there is strong speculation that Elanco is going to have to pull Trifexis from the market for being unsafe.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not to bash you, because i truly feel bad about your situation, but this is the reason you should not put a ectoparasitcide in your animal. Would you swallow a poison to kill head lice?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i have four dogs ranging in age with seven years being the oldest. Trifexis is probably the best compounded product in regard to efficacy where flea control and hw prevention are concerned. but i had to stop using b/c all four of my dogs got tumors. one got a lipoma (she is deceased now), two got histiocytomas, and my seven year old gsd was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in October of last year. it cost me $3500 to treat and cure him, but i figured that at six i wasn't ready to give him up so it was worth each penny. so i had to make changes for my pack. i actively participate in dog trials year round so hw and flea prevention is important. i have switched to the Seresto collar and an insecticide shampoo with a regular cream rinse b/c the trial sites usually will have plenty bugs where the potty areas are. i have even picked up ticks before at rest areas traveling. no more oral prevention for except for the heartgard and i will probably switch to either advantage multi or keep the Seresto collars and do the six month pro heart shot. i feel like my pack does not have a strong enough immune system to support using the oral preventatives except for the ivermectin chews. that is not to say that some dogs use it and do fine-no tumors, seizures or any other side effects. would be nice to make a full blood work up mandatory before some of these are prescribed to avoid such horror stories.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would not make the assumption that the tumors were from Trifexis. Lipomas and histiocytomas are common, benign tumors which would be doubtful to be caused by a flea product.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So now that we all know that you work for Bayer, the maker of that collar, and advantage, you may bow your silly head, take a deep breath, and try to post something even more dramatic and creative. Neither drug in Trifexis is classified by FDA as a carcinogen, and the MSDS has the study results to prove it Good luck with your future as a news-writer, you will fit right in. "Horror stories" too funny you nut.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just bumping this up since a troll resurrected 3 old threads to push this one down the list.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

actually i do not work for Bayer nor have i never worked for Bayer or any other "sleep in coffins at night pharmaceutical companies". and here is an update...on my third set of Seresto collars and still no scratching, no itching, no tumors, no seizures. and btw i found out about the collars from a vet tech who had tried all of the other available products on the market and encounter similar experiences to mine. sorry if you are mad b/c the Seresto works in a non toxic way.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would like to add as far as i am concerned MSDS data sheets mean absolutely nothing to me...it is impossible to predict how a dogs immune system will react as each one will react differently due to lifestyle, environmental factors, and the care that is provided for them...sorry i struck a nerve with the mere suggestion of required bloodwork to make sure that an animal is healthy enough to safely use a compound such as Trifexis. as i said previously i know of some dogs that use it without any apparent side effects, but as with any compound not good for all dogs. i personally will have my vet run a chem panel, cbc, and sero titers before i use any more compound meds on my dogs. most of these meds say on the instructions not for debilitated dogs. i would probably rather have fleas than seizures or malignancies.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is this a joke?
    Sorry to hear you wasted over a year on 3 seresto collars each lasting 8 months. But glad that now you're on your third set of collars since September they are working well for you.....
    Bayer spokesperson of the year.....you may want to call them...could be an overdose...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1. They don't have time, nor do they want to pay their minimum wage employees to do so. Please contact all pertinent Animal Health Manufacturers for your problems. Veterinarians are busy seeing patients and can't afford to pay their employees even 1/4 of what a sales rep makes while their products are being unethically "allocated" and not tracked by technology as promised. Pass the buck back...it's "just business".

2. As is the rest of the world....lazy....much easier to bash the competition and while losing your job to a "bigger business" than to work together to bring each other up. Capitalism......Again..."just business"

3. Democracy.........people? ...just a mask....Capitalism...........
    We "care" about you and your dog.....please....we don't even care about ourselves.....
    it's just business......