Oncology Layoffs

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's the word with all the layoffs looming? Is Oncology a safe place to be?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not being scarcastic but do we really know if layoffs are looming? Couldn't it be just a reorganization like they said? Still need people to sell the products. Just thinkin outloud and probably a bit too positive

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All depends on palbocyclib. If it gets approval things should be pretty safe for the future. If not the division will tread water for a little while but eventually will sink over time

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Schmeltz said on his call last week that the reorg (he used another business phrase that was stupid as ever) will take place this week. There will not be a large number but it is very apparent that folks will loose their assignment and have to post for others that will become available in the reorg.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Totally agree with the palbocyclib comment above. Only addition is that if palbo does not come soon or gets a less than ideal PI PFE Onc will not just melt away it will sink like a rock.
    It is already apparent that we have too many products with too few potential patients to keep this BU growing and attaining a "top 3 status" Like AS and GN are shooting for by 2020.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sutent and Torisel are dead, and Xalkori is dying on the vine. What is left to save Oncology.
    Too many reps, limited and no access. How much longer can we last?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wish the last poster was wrong.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reps get their placment calls from their DMs today--wish everyone luck! There will be some people who are not placed. They will be able to post for new jobs created elsewhere during the re-org. Not sure what kind of package they will be offered to move or if they take severance. I guess I will find out today.
    The BU is doing fine. The new jobs will be placed on HRSource on a rolling basis according to my boss. No new DMs. Pablo looks like a game changer for the BU. Last time a drug that received a "breakthrough" designation by the FDA did NOT get approved was 2002--so things look good. Wall Street estimates eventual 5-7 billion a year in revenue for Pablo.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

layoffs went out this am...7 all total according to DBM...most in the East region...weird that they had to let go 7 people and then turn around and post 17 new jobs...got to feel for those 7 folks...PFE is a heartless mess if you think of it...7 lousy jobs HAD to be cut...Andy is full of himself Im guessing.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes amy that is correct. great scoop.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow, if that's true, that's simply bad, bad business. I wonder if any of these CEOs have ever taken a business course? Like value based leadership... hahahaha, oh never mind, I know they haven't.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just an excuse to separate wheat from chaffe and dump the below performing PIP group.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which Onc reps were let go?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If only that was true.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of course every layoff we or any other pharma has had uses laser like precision and skill to weed out the obviously 'low' performing reps who have not earned the right to maintain their employment with the company..I say good riddance to those 'unwashed' reps.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long have you been gone? Washed yet?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wait a second, 7 jobs cut and 17 new openings posted at the same time?!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not exactly accurate but not exactly wrong.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For those who have been around a while, what Oncology BU reps are going through right now is similar to what happened when we bought Warner-Lambert. We forced them to "mirror" Pfizer's territories as part of the acquisition. Even though no one was "laid off," some of the Warner Lambert reps all of a sudden did not live in their new territories, or suddenly 4 people lived in a territory that only needed 3 reps. One person was not placed, and they were given the option of moving somewhere that did have an opening or taking the severance.
    Similar situation now. ZS and the DM/RD teams came up with new territories based on what would be needed if Pablo gets launched, but the new territories in some cases did not have a rep living in them (I can think of 2), or had two reps living in what was going to become a portfolio territory (one rep) until Pablo gets approved. So, on Tuesday some people got calls saying they were not placed (say a territory that had an RCC rep and a Lung/Hem rep--but was going to become a portfolio territory on 10/1. Only one rep was placed. What I don't know is what the rep not placed was given as options. Can they move to take another territory that is empty? Will the company help them move? Is it post and compete? Can they take a severance and what does the package looks like? Can they work a territory remotely (i.e.-rent an apartment and live/work the new territory) then move back into their old geography once Pablo is approved--if Pablo is approved? Lots of questions.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know who was laid off on the West but I do know a few in the East and Central area that were anything but "washed up" reps. Good, award winning, hard working people who happend to be in a rep heavy area. So sad that they were let go...you're heartless for calling people washed up!