Management in the new era

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With health reform underway and the selling environment rapidly changing, I'm curious how others would view the opportunity to transition from a rep to a manager. I see the value (and therefore pay) of regular reps decreasing each year as we move forward. I see national accounts becoming more important (they will keep getting paid well) as they drive compliance at the top level, then I think the reps are just driving local interest and support to make sure no physicians or directors push back on what the higher-ups suggest implementing. I'm trying to figure out where managers fit in and if it is worth the move. Would appreciate any feedback from current regional managers or those considering the transition. If you're a manager for 3-5 years, what is the next step you're looking to take? I'd be managing a pretty hefty revenue number (minimum $25 million) due to the high cost of what we sell. The money is good- slightly above what the average rep in our company makes at quota. As a rep I have always made over $200k and this would be in line with that.

Serious feedback is appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been thinking the same thing. I've always made over 200k but think in a few years it will be very difficult to achieve as a local rep. I imagine there will always be a need for field reps but it will just encompass a larger geographic area. I'm not sure if they would choice to hold on to good reps and make they larger territory "managers" or utilize management to cover those areas.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have been an RM for some years now and see the validity in moving towards a Natl Sales role. I consider that to be my next position and have been in the process of moving into NA for the past 6 to 8 months within my company.
    Regardless of what product you're selling, it's all becoming commoditized down. Unless you have a truly new and innovative and highly technical product, all discussions at this point boil down to, "We want more for less and don't care much about quality".
    Reps face this daily, and you're managers know this. This completely changes and has changed the dynamics of my job. Managers are less mentor and coach and now more block and tackle. As sales leadership roles start to dry up, we're not able to really help develop our reps to the next role. I've had reps promoted and I'm proud of that, but those roles are becoming less and less frequent.
    Add to that the fact that reps are becoming less needed in the OR's and less requested and you can see how the RM's job is now becoming less complicated but busier. A 1:7 ratio was and is optimal, but now you're seeing 1:10 and as high as 1:15 manager to rep. How can a RM really develop reps when you are pulled in that many directions at once?
    IMO, national sales is the future of our business. Less man-on-the-front-lines and more calling in strategic attacks from the rear. If you're given a chance to skip over the RM role and go directly into national sales, do it. You'll be able to parlay that into a future in multiple industry lines anyway.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Career wise if you have he opportunity to get into management you take it. Look big picture instead.

Some people are not cut out to be or don't want to be a manager which is understandable. But if you have higher aspirations than being "just a rep" do it.

You establish your track record there for a few years and see whether or not you can move into NAM or such within the organization. If things are slow going upward, you look around while in a great position within your current company and can be selective on the next move. A smaller company may look at you for a NAM role or Area VP role if you are with a larger organization (have seen it 3 times). A larger company may add more money in the mix or such.

All of the VP's and C-Level people took that first management roll and have progressed upwards the rest of the way to where they are today. The question you need to answer is whether or not you want to get into management and all of the other things that go with it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Management roll. Seriously? Maybe companies are reducing reps out of fear of embarrassment over their spelling and grammar.

Please, when you get promoted to a respectable position, hire and editor or assistant.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, maybe you should hire "and" editor as well. What a dope!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP back; thanks for this reply. I understand where you are coming from and agree with most of what you have said, especially about NA. I don't know if that will be an option within my company as we have a well established team and no current or proposed openings there. I am not a device rep so I am not familiar with what's happening in or around the O.R. with lack of rep presence, etc. and how that impacts management's day-to-day duties. Nonetheless, I definitely see the value of a rep changing and the emphasis going to NA. I feel like managers will be responsible for C-suite selling (if possible) at the local level while the NA folks do the large agreements and then the local reps work with physicians and department heads.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

one of the first and only (mostly) coherent and valuable posts on CP. Well done. Management has its limitations. The lack of control and as one poster mentioned, the ratio in some cases is rising. Makes you feel even less in control. Spend most of our time getting in front of key customers (hospitals or physicians, depending on model) vs. basics of selling. If you need to go over basics of selling, you probably hired the wrong person.
    If a management position opens up, you need to take it otherwise there is a good chance you wind up as a rep for life. Not that anyone should be ashamed of that. Paying your bills is what matters. Titles is for others to worry about.
    Decide what you want: Sales life or do you want to at least try to build toward something bigger? Keep in mind that while it's admirable to keep your eyes on bigger things down the road, those director/area/VP positions are rare and may not open up for many years. Perhaps the same is to be said for management positions. Be honest with yourself regarding what YOU want. Sales? More? That's your answer.