Open letter to ethicon reps

Discussion in 'Ethicon Device' started by Anonymous, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I rarely post on cafepharma but I'm about at the end of my rope and want to start this thread in hopes of hearing from some of the people that have been here at least 5 years.

I started almost 6 years ago on the ees side and it seems like this job continues to become more difficult. To this day I turn down recruiter calls I hopes that Ethicon will innovate something to turn this ship around and make us needed once again. Today it just hit me that I really need to start looking elsewhere. I've become a miserable person and it seems like a dark cloud has taken away my joy ever since I started this company.

In defense of Ethicon, my managers have always been great and the culture I feel is way better than other companies I have worked for, which is why I have justified hanging around. I have always told myself that other med device companies face the same issues and at least I'm with a giant.

I often wonder how other people would view my job. I mean I busted my butt to learn the products and my territory and I should be reaping the benefits....right? I think some would look at me and say "What a whining puss. You are on cruise control and even in a bad year you will make 100k"
    The problem I have is that I'm actually not lazy and I want to be successful but it seems like there is nothing I can do to move my number, so I wonder why I continue trying so hard. I feel like it's become an impossible task to ram new and or upgraded products down the throats of my accounts continuously for years. If you think about that for a mere second you must realize it will not work. I feel like a sucker having bought into it.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just left after 10+ years. Multiple consolidations, devaluing rep's clinical training and increasing dependence on contracts driving sales pushed me out. Loved J&J but found greener pastures.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am in the same boat here. Since EES hasent really been pushing out anything innovative, I have resorted just screwing my Dr's and OR Buyers that have hit on me for years. In certain circumstances when I just can't do this, all I do is flirt really hard. My numbers have improved and will buy me the time to find another job.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP: you are missing the big picture. What is happening at Ethicon and your inability to influence your business is a reflection of the medical sales industry. You need to get out of medical sales. Even if you find a greener pasture it will only be greener for a short while.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8 years here and was with EP CSR before layoffs/realignment. Now GYN. Need I say more, HAHA Awful position. All I can say is this place although blessed w great base, benefits, car, etc, is a black hole. It can be very inhibiting too, as it has for me with managers who are incompetent and have no inkling of promotions after you do everything and more asked of. I have dealt with some very selfish unethical managers here. Very unfortunate, but thats life.

You can fail at something you do not like/hate, so why not take a chance on something else, given the opportunity arises. This place is not for ones who are loyal either. I feel that does not matter anymore or never did, hence why I only look out for myself and keep my head down. I just collect my paychecks, pray for something better, which will come along, and enjoy my flexibility and life until that day comes.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This place is now an entry level med device job and that's it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are hoping tenured reps leave on their own, that's why the compensation is structured so that it's nearly impossible to maximize your variable pay

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The beginning poster of this thread I miss give a hats off too. It is respectable for you to speak honestly.

I have been around for 8 years and have been swayed to stay by the golden handcuffs. The harsh reality is I have seen my workload and stress level increase only to have my pay stay the same or decrease. I am like the original poster I work hard and give a fair effort but now that basically 4 companies haves merged and everyone wants to get promoted I don't recognize the place....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your in Times Square during New Years eve it's madness and the crowd of people is unending, what do you do? Answer; focus on yourself!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Panic and get the hell outta there

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

everyone speaks of "golden handcuffs" and pensions but have you worked out the formula for the pension? I've been here 7 years and finally did the math this past year. It's not what you think it is. Especially when you factor in inflation at the time of retirement. Seriously, you can go to any company and get that after you get your 5 year pension. It's not a touch decision especially right now.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Be lucky to have a pension at all....many companies in varying industries have done away with pensions years ago!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

not many hate this company more than I do but one thing you cant complain about is the pension. it is great free money and I do not know of another company that offers it. I am at my 11th year and if I left today I would be making 1247 a month at retirement.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a great retention tool! However, you do realize that 1247 per month u quoted will be less cause they use some formula that take into account your social security benefits. I can't figure it out but they def do this

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thats it . You are really working for the back end. Better off buying rental property . Yes every little helps but....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone really not see the writing on the wall? Not only with Ethicon but in this industry? Things have gotten worse the past 5 years and we have only scratched the surface of healthcare reform.

The writing is on the wall with EES and it is clear that they want a younger less expensive sales force. 110k at quota is a joke for any tenured sales rep in any industry. You can make that selling cars

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which is why you are seeing talented people leave. When the sales reps start getting squeezed then u know it's the end. That's desperation. I think mgt has given up

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Manipulation used by the company to make us feel grateful for basically nothing. I agree with the other poster there are only mental golden handcuffs-better opportunities are out there. Everyone's just so beaten down we forget we're good at what we do and buy into the company line of bs.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exactly, be confident in your abilities but realize that working at EES will eventually suck your soul out and stifle your hunger and independent and forward thinking if you buy into to the company drivel and propaganda..

The company "leadership" is often just empty suits with very little true passion for what they do and are often pensioners who don't want to rock the boat and are limping to the finish line of hopeful retirement..Be bold and go for it in life (whatever it may be), staying around in a dead end job for a pension, company car, or a cushy salary and mindless position is ultimately and empty and unfulfilling career imo..

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

U hit the nail on the head! It's not enough for a tenured rep especially in medical device! Target comp isn't terrible but the big elephant in the room that no one ever brings up is the reality will be much lower. You can possibly hit your number for multiple buckets year in year out.

I know the turnover is increasing. There have been some people that left where I thought wow, Ethicon lost a hell of a rep and likely did nothing to try to retain them. U gotta pay to play, and it's obvious corporate just doesn't want to play