Mike Sheehan -CRM AVP

Discussion in 'Boston Scientific' started by Anonymous, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What's the honest word on this CRM AVP in the Mid-Atlantic area? I know someone who is interested in interviewing for the open sales manager position in Central Pennsylvania (Lancaster/Harrisburg). Looking for 411. Please, honest opinions only. Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TELL YOUR FAG BUDDY TO RUN FAR FAR AWAY........THAT REGION IS A PIECE OF WORK

THEY RAN THEIR LAST MANAGER OUT OF TOWN AND I HEARD HE ACTUALLY WAS GOOD

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's the honest truth about Mike S....

Overall, I don't believe Mike is a bad person. He means well but he is way over his head as an AVP. He would be a good marketing manager but not much more than that.

1) Fact: Mike S. has the highest turnover among all AVPs in the company. Why? bottom line: ... he is a very poor leader. He does not support his management team. He has very poor judgement.

Here's a snapshot of the folks he's lost (most of whom he hired)...
    1. Tim D --- now the VP of sales of Sorin (lasted about 2 years under MS)
    2. Scott C. --- now with CSI (lasted about 6 months under MS)
    3. Chris B --- now an RM with BIO (lasted about 2 years under MS)
    4. Mike Sriv ---- now a sales mgr with a startup (lasted about 2 years under MS)
    5. Bill S. --- now a RM with SJM in MN
    6. Kevin Z --- now in another division with BSC (lasted about 3 years under MS)
    7. Andy A. --- now an RM with SJM
    ...I may be missing a couple, but >7 RMs in 4 years ...that's huge turnover!

2) Fact: Mike likes to be everybody's buddy. This is how he tries to compensate for his poor leadership skills. He will gloss over things that need to be managed appropriately (like the ending parade/riot scene in Animal house when Kevin Bacon is yelling "stay calm, all is well")....right.

3) Fact: MS is not a man of strong principle, unless money is tied to that principle. This is where most of his poor judgement comes in. He has a tough time doing what is right. Great leaders do what is right and stand tall against any short term hits. MS takes the most politically correct avenue that supports himself (and himself only). That's primarily why he has survived to this point. Unfortunately for him, his numbers and the high turnover of RMs has raised a lot of eyebrows in BSC.

4) Fact: Mike has not promoted 1 (not one) of the managers he has hired over the past 4+ years.

5) Fact: Mike is notorious (at least when he was in marketing) for having 3 talking points. Doesn't matter what the topic/issue/subject he is pontificating about...he always writes down in his black book 3 things he wants to discuss. Problem is, when he goes off his 3 messages he's a PR nightmare.

...so if your friend wants to work for BSC in central PA, let him know what he might be geting into. Most of all, know that MS will not support the manager in any way (unless $ is in it for him). Your buddy is on his own. Not the type of guy you want to go into battle with next to you.

Hope that helps.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Long post above is spot on. MS is the weakest leader in BSC. So true about wanting to be everyone's buddy. I heard when he was a marketing director he would get wasted drunk with the product managers all the time. Nice leadership style-amazing. So surprised to hear he's still an AVP with the company. He is not an AVP level person-way over his head.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The guy out of Pennsylvania -Mike S. is a nice guy but an absolutely horrible leader. He makes for a fair politician but has no business (common) sense. Very spineless. Most of his management team has left in the past 3 years primarily due to his poor leadership. I was told he has the worst RM retention in the country out of active AVPs. The new zone president should can MS and bring back Tim D. to lead that area.

Below are former & current AVPs and conventional wisdom on their leadership within BSC. I can see a change-up in AVP leadership once the 3 zone presidents are in place in the coming weeks.

1) Ryan W. (left BSC recently -now with SJM)
    2) Jim L. [A]
    3) Suzanne B. [C]
    4) John K. (now with SJM)
    5) Brian P. [?]
    6) Mark B. (no longer with BSC)
    7) Doug M. (now with BIO) [A+]
    8) Carrie S.
    9) Bob B. [A+]
    10) Jeff K. [A]
    11) Matt O. (no longer with BSC-started his own company) [A+]
    12) Mike S. [C]
    14) Scott O. [A]
    15) Nick S [A]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mike was secure when CH was DVP of the biggest ship in the fleet. CH loved the sucking up.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you kidding me? Who graded these? There must be one hell of a Bell curve in the "Puppy Love" (ineffective) scale because many A's here I would question greatly. Maybe an A for "nice but ineffective" and some of the lower grades performed in much tougher areas. I think you missed. BSX manufactures people that say what upper level wants them to say anyway. If you say what is real or real bad, it comes back on you. That is the problem with GDT mentality and applying it. When your in the heat of battle, who is effective. Many here were good communicators, I will give you that, but many are too soft to ever go against the mainstream i.e. they could be walked over by upper management. Hence, why many are still there I guess. We will see what they are made of now.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Mike Sheehan: it's a culture

Funny how this whole thing is playing out. The culture of zombie management is resulting in a catastrophic symphony of mistakes and lies to cover up the mistakes. If you are unfortunate enough to have a ticket aboard the BS Titanic, you'd best pay notice to the rats leaving the ship. The insiders are pilfering what they can (see Ray's $34M for 6 months, Nicholas' share dumping, Colen's Castle cashout, etc...). Seek a lifeboat ASAP! Spinning the BS company line is a 3rd class ticket to steerage and the icy depths of the sea of insolvency and disgrace...

9. Graff

Graff Guest

So, what defines a great leader (A) in this organization? Is it possible for an AVP to be effective in leading his/her team and at times "go against the mainstream"? I think the AVP's with high grades are graded such because of their ability to dance a fine line in defending and delivering the goods for their teams while delivering on their numbers.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Per the post above, I believe it is possible. A guy like Bob B is a great example. He does a great job of balancing what senior management needs to hear (the truth) and playing the political game. He has the respect of his team. On the other hand Mike S. only plays the political "butt kissing" game.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why "C" for SB?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well known within the organization that she is a micro manager.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not sure about the other AVPs noted above but Mike S. has to be the absolute worst leader in the organization. I cannot believe he is still in his AVP position. He is not respected by his managers and the sales reps think he's a joke. Sure hope new senior management moves him out and puts a leader in the position.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I rate Mike as the 2nd worst leader in CRM. Chris H. is by far the worst. He was Mike's DVP, got his hand slapped by the feds for paying kickbacks when he ran HF marketing, and promoted Doug M. then stood by while he was fired for the so-called HCP violations.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have to disagree with you. Mike S. blows CH away for worst leader in the organization. While CH drove Matt O out of the organization (Matt was a great AVP), Mike has lost a ton of RMs over the past few years. #1 reason people leave organizations.... issues with their manager. Not to difficult to do the math. MS manages 6-7 RMs in the northeast and he's lost 7 in 4 years. He single handedly has wiped out his management team. Not sure if this is true but rumors are abound that the new zone VP is looking to move him out and replace him with an IC guy.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, MS may be the worst, but CH was his boss and did nothing while MS lost all those RM's. CH drives one of the best AVP's out (O'Neal) while supporting the worst AVP (Sheehan). I can't understand how either of them still have jobs in this industry.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok... have to agree with the poster above. The problem is CH was never involved on the ground enough to understand WHY these RMs were leaving under MIke S's so-called leadership. CH is a spreadsheet manager, not a leader....you would think he would simply add up the # of folks who have left the organization under his leadership. I heard when he rode with AA awhile ago, he was more interested in talking #s (market share/ASP, etc) than talking to customers/the local CRM team team. Word on the streets is MS is a wreck over losing so many RMs. He walks around scratching his head why nobody is loyal to him. He needs to look in the mirror and realize you reap what you sow. The guy just doesn't get it. It's a shame because BSC lost a lot of good folks over the past 4 years.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard another RM under MS is leaving for the competition. Any truth to that rumor?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wonder how many RM's would have left regardless of who was AVP? It's a lousy job at BSCI right now in terms of job satisfaction, but CRM RM's are so overpaid ($300-400K). This is why most stay in their jobs. Mike's RM's left for a better deal (QOL + $'s).