College Student Job Offer Help

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello,

I am a current college student looking at places to work. I have an offer from Abbott. Some of the reviews here are a little disheartening. I am a Finance major. Does anyone have any advice for me? Yes / no to Abbott and why or why not? Is the management really that bad? How are the opportunities for advancement within Finance currently? This is also for the Columbus office.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

did you major in MORON ?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are currently unemployed, because Abbott Labs fired you long ago ! Get lost creep

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look who's talking, a moron calling a moron a moron

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Think about this ----
    Abbott Laboratories recently laid-off lot of Finance and IT employees worldwide and lay-off still going on. Abbott Labs is not like the old days that you can build your future. So make up your mind kid. I am not saying No or Yes, I'm just giving you a hint.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Abbott is a good company. I worked there for 11 years and got laid off but they were very fair in all things.

If the salary is good and the work will let you progress in your career take the job. Life long employment does not exist so don't expect it. Do you have other offers?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, Mcdonalds and Burger King and Abbvie

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To think, would actually require a brain, something lacking on here ! Abbott Labs still is a great company to work for, depending on your position Many positions HAVE job security, unlike Sales/device Reps and IT Dept Geeks
    BTW there's no college grad and OP is a Idiot

Hr 4 U

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honestly, I had to LoL at this lame madness
    hr

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Solvay is looking for finance people

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can believe my post or not. It is entirely true. I had applied to banks but was interested in healthcare. I have offers for Abbot, Cardinal, and GE Healthcare. I denied the others. The thing is, other than news postings of layoffs I had not heard many of the things that I read on this website. I found this website by searching for employee reviews about Abbott and somehow came across it. Everyone I spoke to in HR and the Rotational program seem to be very encouraging (I realize that they are basically salesman to recruits and have to be), but the stuff I read here is awful. The stuff for Cardinal health isn't much better. I appreciate those who gave real responses.

To those that were less hopeful, sorry I couldn't convince. Not sure what an (ex)employee at Abbott would even gain from a post like mine.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah Sure, pal whatever you say You may want to learn correct spelling of Abbott Nice Try !

"I have offers for Abbot, Cardinal, and GE Healthcare"

Hr guy

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry I didn't hit the second t. This forum resembles the comments on reddit more than anything else.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am legitimately just looking for advice / guidance that I can't find speaking to the people I've met through interviews and recruiting or through internet searches. However, it's pretty apparent that I am not going to find that here.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unfortunately you won't get good answers here, all the miserable folks come here.

I saw your post on the main board from the green arrow, good job.

I worked at Abbott years ago, it was my first pharma sales job. It was a good company.

I now work for a division of GE and that is a big company. GE Healthcare is good too. I would strongly consider GE just for longevity. The reason I dont work for Pharma companies is as someone stated above, the instability.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the first genuine post. I appreciate your help. I understand that this is a sales forum, but does the same attitude resonate throughout Finance too? I have seen the info on layoffs and outsourcing for Finance and IT and that it will continue, but does that mean an entry level employee would have more room to grow? Or rather an impenetrable ceiling above them and a career roadblock?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try the circumcision department at the maternity ward !
    The position pays $28/hr and all the tips you can eat

hr4u

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As I said before Abbott is a good company. If the offer is fair and the work is good take it. The key now is for you to get some good experience and if this can be done with the offered position then go for it.

You are at the beginning of this road. I am at the end (Abbott retiree). Seek good work first, then you can move ahead.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a current Abbott employee in Finance. I love working for Abbott BUT I haven't felt secure in my position in about a year. There are always lay-offs (but that will happen no matter where you go) but right now Abbott is going through a Finance Transformation. They are trying to standardize finance. So I believe more lay-offs will come. I would take the job if I were you and make connections. Join the Mentor Program if you can. Abbott has great pay and benefits. I have been in 2 Departments in my 9 years here, my first dept, the Management was awful. My manager didn't know his own Bleep from a hole in the ground. My new dept, is great. My current manager is wonderful, she knows what is going on, shares information and will have your back. Hope this helps!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get a job bum, obviously you're out of work posting all day Now GIT boy