HR confidentiality?

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by Anonymous, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If an employee had a conversation with HR and was told the conversation is confidential, then the employee finds out the regional manager was made privy to the conversation, is this just an ethics lapse or has a labor law been violated or at least a company policy? Does this put the regional manager or HR person at risk for their jobs? Serious question.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did they define "confidential"? Like say nothing you've said or even your name will ever be told? If not, I see no cause of action that is winnable in court.

if you are hourly employee, then you may have a valid complaint with the federal dept of labor or your state's labor dept.

was this a compliance reporting? If so look at their official docs regarding confidentialty. I believe it says it is confidential until necessary.

Maybe go to pfizer in house counsel and ask them if hr handled your situation appropriately?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The ONLY purpose of HR is to spy on employees for the upper management.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was told that the conversation was confidential and the only exception would be if there was a policy violation component to the conversation (there was none).

Can you really trust in-house counsel? the fact that this even happened makes me think the system is flawed and no one in the home office (at any level) can be trusted.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Confidentiality is an Ethical Issue, not a legal issue......therefore there is no private right of action for breach of confidentiality and unfortunately HR has discretion in involving parties deemed to assist in resolving employment conflicts.

Having filed a 17 page complaint with HR, spoken with employee resources, the ombudsman and in-house counsel......you have significant resources to explore a concern but appreciate the fact that confidentiality is the least of HR's concerns.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR has one responsibility, and their responsibility is to protect the company. To eliminate further questions, let me clearly state that HR will only "act in your interest" if it will cost the company less.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good points.

This HR ass may be just a rogue idiot. No matter what, you need to go after that HR person. The only avenue I can see that may have the just effect you're looking for is contacting in house counsel directly. Obviously they are looking out for Pfizer first, but ensuring that their compliance policy is followed is more in the best interests of Pfizer than this one rogue HR turd's job.

They will skewer this guy/girl unless they gave him permission to disclose your issue to the person you were promised non-disclosure. But if you contact them and they investigate it, and they will like pit bulls, and learn they were misled by the HR person, then his/her head is lopped and career likely ruined.

As for legalities, if you spoke to HR by phone, then the laws of your state, New York state, and any federal laws may be applicable. You might find a cause of action if you research long enough. If you want to sue, your remedies may be insufficient and a bigger target will be on your head.

There is almost always an action at common law in every state when involving a breach of any kind of contract. It is a "violation of good faith and fair dealings".

If you're serious and honest about what happened to you, then it may be in your best interest to go to Pfizer counsel. I would contact only one of them and that's the head of Compliance, Senior Corporate Counsel, Kelly Wines Freishtat in NYC Headquarters. She's "good people" and highly ethical.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good god, companies just LOVE people like you...let me guess, you were wronged at every turn??

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Contact the office of Ombudsman. They are confidential and do not report to HR.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know about the law but once you go to HR be prepared to go the distance and to have your stuff disclosed in some fashion. HR rep once told me that if they hear anything that would negatively impact the company, they are obligated to tell management. You have some protection, but don't bank on it being bulletproof.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, you can't trust them. The simple fact is that HR exists oy to protect the company. They are not there to protect you. Who signs their paychecks? If you really have a grievance emoy your own attorney and hope Pfizer can't buy him/her off.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

100% correct

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wouldn't worry too much about retaliation. Theodds of the manager you complained about still being in the same position over you are slim to none. I've had so many different DBMs, RMs and State Directors since I've been here it's amazing. Yet I've kept the same position the whole time.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I disagree. If they want you gone you will be gone. Doesn't matter who the manager is.
    Is your car clean, did you forget go brush your teeth one morning, did you not order enough samples? Or, they will take thee this I always used successfully 99% of the time; l made the rep so miserable they left....reports, itineraries, analysis of the analysis, a report on the report. I'm sure you get the picture; all legal and within the job description. HR will always defend management unless it's documented with witnesses and evidence that you were sexually, racially, religiously harassed or discriminated against. Hr plays dirty and you won't see it coming.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They laid off an evil DBM that tried to manage out a top rep. That rep is still here, the DBM is not. Just fight it and if timed right, you'll end up with a different manager in the nick of time.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

H.R. stands for Hate & Retaliation

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That was funny. It cracked me up. Thanks

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

INDEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HAHA !!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR is a Pfizer management business partner. HR is not an employee partner.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've had nothing but bad experiences with our HR Department. Everytime you call you get a different person and most of them are clueless.