Job Hunting Blues.

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone talking to the job hunt people from these cuts? The market is NOT GOOD. Reps spots are tight. PC reps have some spots; specialty reps finding it tough.

Hiring managers flooded with resumes...Best bets go to the kids with 2-4 experience. Lower pay, in demand!!

More experienced, higher paid? Expect a long wait unless you have an "in"
    Experienced reps are facing long, long wait times.....
    Better hope you win a lottery of some sort.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you have to take a sales job? Isn't there something else you can transfer your skills to?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Truth be told! Switching careers for anyone over the big 50 is low probability unless you can work for peanuts....If you are set with a big pension, healthcare and long and luxurious severance, delaying the search and making a career switch is a possibility....hey, but its only because you are well padded financially!

For others, usually the little guy without the safety net of time in, big payoff and these days group healthcare this just ain't gonna happen...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dang the Willie Lohman effect.

Sorry to hear this

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

most hiring managers want you to walk into the job. know the work, know the customers, gives you an edge.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Before you take out the razor...find a recruiter. There are jobs out there, just not with the mega companies.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I sort of call BS on this…I am in my mid-50s, quit pharma cold turkey in my early 50s and have started another career (in sales) in an entirely different industry.

You could say I work for peanuts, (about one third of what I made in pharma) but it is enough to survive, and I already have all the stuff I need, (pots and pans, TVs, all the usual stuff) to run a household.

The problem with most drug reps, is they get used to the huge overblown 6 figure salaries, and can't even imagine doing with less. I no longer jet off to Europe every year, or eat at the fancy, expensive restaurants…

But more importantly, I can look at myself in the mirror again and not be ashamed at what I do for a living…That definitely makes up for the salary shortfall…

My gosh…it is amazing how many pharma reps just can't imagine the thought of making less money and getting on with a new life outside of pharma…

sort of like spoiled children...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I gave up after 3 years and went on disability with the rest of the U.S over 50 laid-off over the last 6 years. Simple. Little house, little car. I am happy.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nonsense posts with the big dollar quotes. Stated at 40K job as an older rep with a grad degree and high end experience. Took chump change just to get in! Less than 15 years later I have never seen anything near 100K. No raises for a number of years and very modest bonuses. Stop spreading nonsense. Not everyone here is making big money.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How were you able to go on disability?? Did you need to get an attorney? How do so many people have such an easy time going on disability after 50?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well this is a depressing but necessary evil topic..Laid off? pls. don't take some time off to 'regroup' and start looking next month, quarter or next year in 2015...hiring mgrs aren't impressed with 'quality you' time..start looking now..trying to stay in pharma..you should've been looking like the past 2 years...

More depressing...go check LinkedIn an all those 'award winning, dynamic, great relationships, knowledgeable ...' rep profiles...they all sound the same, guess what they all sound the same to the guy/gal who's hiring...Google up how to have a useful LI profile..

Been doing this for awhile?? Realty check, nobody pays $90K to deliver lunch; ask the pizza guy how much he makes...take that number add it to your previous pharma salary and divide by 2. That's probably a realistic number for your next salary (if its a sales , then subtract at least another $20K)..

Getting a good career next will be your greatest selling challenge..Good luck.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Linkedin has no credibility with me. I saw the profile of a former insane Merck manager with over 500 recommendations. When I noticed this online I realize Linkedin is a joke. Any moron can sanitize their dirty smelly background/history.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think your formula for salary after pharma is pretty accurate…I am in my 50s and making (total compensation) one third of what I did in my pharma days…Things are pretty dodgy out there now, and I could never get another pharma job…(nor would I want one.)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post above are pretty accurate. Most positions open are for contract reps and managers paying about half. Over 50 more difficult even for contract as many assume they will not be motivated by the lower pay and would be better off hiring someone in their 20's /30's.

Industry pay is moving more towards equilibrium with responsibility. Did not make much sense for many in pharma to make as much as PCPs and IMs.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tough call for anyone to take a turn.

Hey Bud, ya got no experience that!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looking for a part-time/flex rep position just to bridge until something full-time opens up. How much do reps working 3-4 days per week get? Benefits? Mileage allowance? Bonus?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good luck with that needle in a haystack!
    Saw 2 pt time gigs in that last 3 months - neither in my geo.
    Office temps might be a better option.
    Can you type and file?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

On my 8th interview today. Told me I a had great background but pushed me off. Wasted my time once again....after spending hours to prepare and more than $50 bucks in travel.

One manager says you have too much while same job with another says not enough.

Was told by a friend ...if you have just enough to pass basic 101 and nothing to intimidate the too commonly found insecure managers you might get better results. I will now reduce my resume to half. Chuck a degree and delete some jobs....next step.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone collecting unemployment during job search? I know unemployment is at the state level but if you are collecting, how is that going for you? Any tips?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am collecting. It begins after you are separated. Every state has different guidelines. In my state you just apply online and you receive a letter in a couple of weeks with filing instructions. Then every week you apply online or by phone for the weekly check which is deposited into your bank account. In my state the severance payment and vacation payments do not delay unemployment payments since they are payments for past work not current work. Only if you are currently working that amount of income will be deducted from your weekly check.