Layoff

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have too many questions on why you should stay with MDT and not enough reasons to stay...so leave. Find a job where you spend less time reading between the lines of every decision and won't question company motives and actions. You are making it way to stressful and complicated on yourself.

Look after your own well being. No company can or will.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He/she will come to that conclusion and will leave, and will be better for it. Opportunities are tight. Your comments sound more company-line than concerned. That previous post was largely accurate. Mdt has always posed for years as a company that is 'different', or 'better' or 'mission-driven', compared to competitors or others. That's how they kept people. Now all of sudden, it's the same. Well, which is it? This 'ain't your daddy'd mdt anymore', for sure. You are right, no different. It's ok to admit it. They've lost that shine and have a bit more dirt on them. MBA's were brought in to clean and simply threw more dirt on. First ask the top 50 suits to state the current stock price. Follow that by asking them to recite the mission. 1 outta 2 ain't bad...in baseball.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen . There is the official mission and then there is the real mission. MDT suits dont really give a s--- about the field . You are just a pin on the map! Nothing personal you know! Haha. Just business you understand. Integrity, Loyalty and producing results means nothing if your territory is targeted for deletion.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing will happen till at least next week. They get you to load and suck as much out of you today..doesn't even matter if you make AOP.. The decision was made weeks ago...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess you have to go back farther than 7 years ago (my start in CRM) to be in a time when the field reps were more than just a "pin on the map", but isn't it inevitable that companies this large are going to evolve into bureaucratic nightmares. It's the down-side of growth. When there were only three layers between a rep and the top...it would stand to reason that there would be more of a kindred spirit going on...particularly because all 3 rungs probably carried a bag at some point.

So, this return to the leaner organization of the past is probably the "logical" Red Herring that Omar and Friends prop up when their RIFF'ing is called into question. In fact, the truth is that the market has not and will not progress like all the thousand-pound heads assumed. So, now it makes more sense to put the veteran field force to the sword: for two reasons.

1) They are expensive since their salaries are a holdover from ASPs gone by.

2) They can be replaced by starving college students who can be trained to place a wand over a fully-automated device and read the numbers that pop up on the homescreen (at a 1/4 of the cost of the Old Guard).

These newbies will gladly work 80 hours a week and be on call for the 90k...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm concerned, just pointing out that this person appears unhappy for some time and has thought through the reasons why the job is no longer desirable. The company, its' people, and its' culture, are only as good as the environment it chooses to conform to and compete in. This was a stable, generous, family oriented company for many years and it's reasonable to long for those years to return. The environment changed and to remain competitive and profitable something had to change. Does the Mission mean the same as it did when it was conceived and the company consisted of 1,000 employees versus what it is today at 40,000? How could it? There are so many moving parts now that feeling on the fringe of decisions, not having a clear picture of the future, and seeming like a number is, well, pretty accurate and not for everybody. When they wrote the second amendment for the "Right to Bear Arms" I doubt they were thinking AK-47's, M-16's and rocket launchers. Likewise, we don't just sell pacemakers anymore!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your concern is touching. I'm happy for the chap. He's sifting through your corp bs and is thinking clearly. When the time is right for him, he'll move, and you'll call him disloyal. What answers did you come up with? Please don't cut and paste to bore us. You paid way too much for your MBA. The mission, similar I guess to your reference to the 2nd amendment, is a guiding principle. It ABSOLUTELY means the same as the day it was written. Hell, you all bark about the very fact that it hasn't changed. It hasn't, you all have. It makes no mention of pacemakers, but of principles. Specifically created as such to keep hacks like you from telling us it should be different. The right to bear arms is just that, arms - it didn't say arrows or stones. It was meant to be timeless, just like the mission. Why is it that people like you think the world needs you to define things, or build walls around us to guide our thinking? Why not just change the mission (no, I won't capitalize it) so that it agrees with your business principles, then at least you'd have some integrity remaining.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yea!!!! Let's argue about the Second Amendement. That's what this boring board needs--a little excitement.

Here's the text:
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

So...they type of arms used by a militia. I'm sure that just meant deer rifles and duck guns. Get outta here!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would never call someone disloyal because they out grew the company or the company out grew them. You can't agree that the Mission means the same to those that started with MDT vs. today's employees and that's not a bad thing. I doubt "emerging markets" was a hot topic back then and the thought of one day buying up numerous businesses to expand the portfolio of MDT offerings was embraced and embodied in the mission statement. So goes the people who work within MDT who have been asked to take on additional responsibilities, assigned to projects they weren't originally hired for, reassigned to positions they were not initially hired for, seen younger employees hired and promoted faster than they were...etc...etc...etc..this all leads to the feeling of not valued, being used, pushed aside, which to some becomes too overwhelming to endure. The thrill of the climb, big paychecks, bonuses and raises has subsided, but those conditioned to those days can't let go and poke holes and fun at management decisions that are focused more on sustainability, new opportunities, and remaining functional and profitable in poor market conditions.

MDT stability was counted on for years and it appears the OP I responded to was a part of those good ole days gone by. You can't expect a company not to change when everything around it is. New leadership and new corporate direction is needed and that will appeal to some and not to others.

It's rare to hear long time employees ever agree to changes in corp direction or leadership. It's all about our outlook and how we embrace change that determines our success in the organization. Some choose to hang it up and call it "Corp BS", like you did. Some take it as a challenge to re-inventing themselves,...like I do.

A little about me....I hold a non-management job. Have not been with MDT long but have been with competitors. MDT is, hands down, more secure, generous to employees, relaxed, provides more future opportunities and fun to work for. Trust me..the grass is not greener and you would be very disappointed working anywhere else in this industry.

Hope this helps some of you who are "on the fence" about staying at MDT.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

RW?[/QUOTE]

No, Rufus Wainwright probably has better things to do...

The majority of us are looking around for new jobs. It's delicate though - you want to find one on your own terms and it's tricky and extremely political to move within the company. Plus, many postings are nothing more than legal formalities to cover their butts while they fill the posting with someone they hand-picked through social networks. People need to be very cautious and think twice if they're considering working in this company or industry. You will be a hard worked tool until they no longer need you or you piss off a vocal superior, all the while being force-fed new flavor of the month business practices and sustaining lectures about meeting impossible goals...under a constantly changing structure and funding platform. Picture trying to shoot a bullseye while standing on a floating log and having somebody yodeling in one ear while you're asked to count backwards from 100 by 3's.

On the other hand, it's at-will employment for both sides so we all have the choice. Just don't go in blind and be duped into thinking it's rosy in there. Go in with your game face on and be ready for anything.

Make sure you do your homework and be prepared to ask lots of questions before accepting the offer. Hint: You may not be doing the job they hire you to do. One reason is that project funding can change from the time they make the posting to the time you accept it. Another reason is that they define roles "creatively" compared to the rest of the world. Your official title on the paycheck may not reflect the hiring title or payband reference for the job you do but they hand-wave around it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, Rufus Wainwright probably has better things to do...

The majority of us are looking around for new jobs. It's delicate though - you want to find one on your own terms and it's tricky and extremely political to move within the company. Plus, many postings are nothing more than legal formalities to cover their butts while they fill the posting with someone they hand-picked through social networks. People need to be very cautious and think twice if they're considering working in this company or industry. You will be a hard worked tool until they no longer need you or you piss off a vocal superior, all the while being force-fed new flavor of the month business practices and sustaining lectures about meeting impossible goals...under a constantly changing structure and funding platform. Picture trying to shoot a bullseye while standing on a floating log and having somebody yodeling in one ear while you're asked to count backwards from 100 by 3's.

On the other hand, it's at-will employment for both sides so we all have the choice. Just don't go in blind and be duped into thinking it's rosy in there. Go in with your game face on and be ready for anything.

Make sure you do your homework and be prepared to ask lots of questions before accepting the offer. Hint: You may not be doing the job they hire you to do. One reason is that project funding can change from the time they make the posting to the time you accept it. Another reason is that they define roles "creatively" compared to the rest of the world. Your official title on the paycheck may not reflect the hiring title or payband reference for the job you do but they hand-wave around it.[/QUOTE]

You just described every non-union company in America. Perhaps a union job best suits your style. Defined role, no surprises, file a grievance if you don't like what your boss said or asked you to do, or how they asked you, double time after 12 hours Golden time after 16 hours, pay your dues, feel no loyalty towards the company just towards the union.

America is beutiful...something for everybody!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just fire Terry Roberts (CRM douchebag Manager in Memphis/MS). That will get this thing turned around for me. Every day I have to wake up and go to work in that idiot's region is a bad day. Never met more of a crooked fake person in my life.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trust me THE GRASS IS GREENER. I have been gone a year and I could not be happier. All my friends that I talk to regularly are miserable. You dont realize how bad things are a MDT until you are gone. I now have a job that I love, work with people that are happy to be there, dont worry about being laid off all the time, and am not forced by HR to fill my group quotas on the Blueprint for Change.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were fired or riff'd which I can understand you were given no choice but to leave. I'm talking to people currently at MDT who are thinking of leaving. You don't apply to this thread. Why won't you say where you work if it's so great? Must not be that happy!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The title of this thread is "Layoff" and you're an idiot!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok...I can read! So where do you work Mr. Happy? Still on CP while you're at work? You must be a solid, productive employee checking in with your miserable pal's at MDT discussing the "good ole" days when you would sit around and do nothing and then complain when you had to work.

For being so happy I wonder compels you to come back to this thread. Most people that move on and are really happy don't look back and keep going. But not you...why? A little bitter are we? Hurry, look overe your shoulder someone is watching you on CP on company time!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmmmm, looks like you're the one who nees to get off of CP and do your job on company time, unless you're one of the ones who they actually pay to pour the company kool-aid on sites like this. In that case, what a lame job.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At least I'm happy and not worrying about where I use to be.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Give it time,.................give it time. You'll get RIFF'd too.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Attn all job seekers: You're witnessing in action the new managment culture here. When pressed for truth or proven to be slightly off the mark, mgmt employs bullying tactics, condescending talk and sarcatic name calling. He essentially admits he's a paid company mole on cf, then arrogantly tells others who this thread applies to. I love it!