for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Stryker
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stryker Anonymous board for Stryker

View Poll Results: GAMMA OR SYNTHES TFN BETTER
GAMMA 2 28.57%
TFN 5 71.43%
SAME 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. This poll is closed

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Anonymous

Party HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

I am a new Stryker rep and love our gamma nail and T2 BUT I AM VERY CONCERNED WITH THE NEW SYNTHES NAILS ESPECIALLT THE TIBIAL AND TROCH NAIL WITH THE HELICAL BLADE AND BUILT IN SET SCREW.

SERIUOS REPLIES ONLY
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

that helical blade is pretty fantastic...otherwise I would describe the two as comparable
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Anonymous

It is a great nail...........If you want to bang in a lag screw. If the patient is young or has good quality bone the doctor ends up reaming anyway. Sooner or later banging on that lag screw is going to cause some problems. As for there tibia nail.....their bend does not grow in relation to their length. With a taller patient this can cause problems.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

Actually it is not a lag screw, it's a helical balde. That's the point. You can't bang up a lag screw and if you did it would cause problems so your point has no meaning. As for the tibial nail it is now the only one on the market where the bend is different for every single length. You maybe referring to the old Synthed tibial nail. I think they may have us finally. Do we have anything better planned? A T3?????????????????

Stryker Boy33
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Anonymous

Default thought on the synthes tfn vs. smith and nephew lawsuit??

what is going to happen here????
Old 01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Anonymous

Does anyone know who invented the Stryker nail? Someone in the field asked me this the other day and I am too lazy to look it up...
Old 03-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Anonymous

Has anyone seen Orthofix's Vero Nail. I've heard it has two proximal sliding screws to provide better rotational stability. I've heard good things about it so far. It's fairly new I believe.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Anonymous

Come on...Orthofix is a mon and pop shop. That nail doesnt compare to the TFN or Gamma nail. DePuy tried that whole two screw construct with the TAN nail and had tons of failures with the "Z effect."

If your doc wants 2 screws, Stryker has a great nail for that...it's called the T2 Recon Nail
Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Anonymous

Can't find any info on that Orthofix nail on the internet. Nothing shows up on their site, or even on google.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Anonymous

There is no comparison between the Gamma Nail and the TFN. The TFN is so much more simple to use and surgeons love it. You may get a guy to use a Gamma Nail but if they have experience with the TFN they will always revert back to it. Synthes definitely has the upper hand with this one.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Anonymous

The above poster must not have seen the new Gamma, the Gamma 3. This nail is a whole generation ahead of the TFN.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I am a new Stryker rep and love our gamma nail and T2 BUT I AM VERY CONCERNED WITH THE NEW SYNTHES NAILS ESPECIALLT THE TIBIAL AND TROCH NAIL WITH THE HELICAL BLADE AND BUILT IN SET SCREW.

SERIUOS REPLIES ONLY

First of all.....The TFN "should not be used for inner troch fractures"........it is off label. Synthes will have to pay the piper sooner or later. On a side note "If" their wonderful blade happens to fail or cut out (which it does) and the doctor or hospital happens to get caught up in a lawsuit will the company stand behind a product that is being used "off label". It would really suck if a scum bag lawyer got a hold of a doctor who used the wonderful TFN for a case that the product lost its indication for. To all of you Syn reps out there that keep drinking the cool-aid and docs that listen to these robot reps please get a copy of the court case between S&N and Syn. Very interesting reading. Especially the part where someone from Synthes admits that the blade does further damage to the fracture. Great reading material!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Anonymous

Arms Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

Quote:
First of all.....The TFN "should not be used for inner troch fractures"........it is off label. Synthes will have to pay the piper sooner or later. On a side note "If" their wonderful blade happens to fail or cut out (which it does) and the doctor or hospital happens to get caught up in a lawsuit will the company stand behind a product that is being used "off label". It would really suck if a scum bag lawyer got a hold of a doctor who used the wonderful TFN for a case that the product lost its indication for. To all of you Syn reps out there that keep drinking the cool-aid and docs that listen to these robot reps please get a copy of the court case between S&N and Syn. Very interesting reading. Especially the part where someone from Synthes admits that the blade does further damage to the fracture. Great reading material!
BINGO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The man knows his stuff.....
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Anonymous

do you really think there is no difference between a lag screw and a helical blade? furthermore, if there's no difference between the lag screw and the blade, then why have the majority of dr's switched from gamma to tfn? it's a complete shame what the legal system has done to medicine.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Anonymous

smith and nephew reps are pretty much the biggest losers in the ortho world- stryker rules
Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
smith and nephew reps are pretty much the biggest losers in the ortho world- stryker rules
ok strytard
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

some idiot (probably a stryker guy) spelled it "inner troch" its Intertroch. fx and does he know how often you see a TRUE inter troch fx. ??
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
what a douche
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Hey, dumbass. First, it's intertroch, not inner troch! You could not possibly be a sales rep in trauma/ortho if you really thought it was "inner troch". If you are, you gotta love the quality of reps Stryker is hiring these days which is a shame because I am friends with a couple of them and they are great guys and solid reps. I'm thinking you're really just a delivery boy trying to show off for the company and hoping to make it to an associate type rep position. Second, TFN is not "off label" for use in INTERTROCH fx's. Off label would mean that it is not FDA approved for specific indications, ie INTERTROCHANTERIC Fx's. In fact it is very much approved for these fx's. What the court says and what the FDA says are two completely different things. The court can't decide to make a device non-FDA approved. And lastly, it was not someone from Synthes saying the blade "does further damage" in your words...it was a surgeon who I am sure was called to testify by attorneys for S & N.

Bottom line, before you start spouting off, know what the hell you are talking about.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Anonymous

Actually, the quote about the blade causing further damage was from the lead design surgeon on the TFN.

Not sure whom, but a Synthes employee was also on the stand and alluded to the same argument.

Get a copy of the court document, it is shocking.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Anonymous

Both work fine.
I.V.Hall of Synthes stated that disruption of the reduction does occur when fucking wacking away at that helical blade trying to get it to move another 10mm. Great fixation at a cost that alot of surgeons will not want to accept. That is, a blade that is still 10-15 mm from head center that no matter how hard you pound is not advancing. Fracture gap just keeps getting bigger and bigger. "Can I take this thing out and predrill" asks the surgeon. Good luck with that one. It ain't gonna happen in the next hour but sure give it a shot doc. Or "Can I just leave it be at this point and use the interfrag compression wheel to reduce my newly acquired fracture gap". Sure then you'll have a blade that is 10mm proud and a pissy grandma coming back to your office. Or a blade that is short of where it needs to be thus increasing the risk of cut out. Or a blade that has not fully reached its rotated position to allow for set screw engagement. You'll be left with a sharp flute located superiorly. Not a good move.

Believe what you will about the "superior" cutout resistance of the helical blade. Try telling that to a surgeon who has performed 500 gammas and another 500 DHS without a single cutout. He'll laugh at you. Try showing him the dense foam model study "proving" that the TFN is much better at resisting cutout despite all 3 constructs lasting enough cycles to allow for bone healing. Oh wait, there was no bone healing--it was a dense foam surrogate. What a crock of shit study in proving anything clinically relevant.

The Gamma3 is the easiest cephalomedullary to use on the market. In my territory the TFN had a 2 year head start with no Stryker representation and no Gamma3. Alot of people tried it, probably about 5 users now. 3 Gamma users all switched to Gamma3. And another 20 surgeons now routinely use the Gamma3. If I was a loyal Synthes surgeon I'd probably find a way to continue to use the TFN despite its weaknesses. It's an adequate device. It will do the job. But if I feel no allegiance whatsoever and want to use the easiest nail with the best outcomes I'm gonna use the Gamma3.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Anonymous

Good post
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Anonymous

I love how many Gamma 3's break in my area...great selling point. Thanks Stryker for coming out with a great product that keeps the TFN number 1!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Anonymous

Only thing keeping TFN going my area is hospital red tape. Iv'e got docs utlizing Gamme3 & getting good results consistantly in under 15 min. incision to locking screw.

Sorry....DHS & TFN are a step behind Gamma3 out here.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Anonymous

Any argument about "banging" in the blade versus advancing a lag screw is moot. The reality is that Tip Apex Distance means everything. Synthes finally has some real competition and is struggling to deal with it.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Does anyone know who invented the Stryker nail? Someone in the field asked me this the other day and I am too lazy to look it up...
Heywood Jablomi
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Anonymous

If gamma was such a great implant, why has Stryker had to revise it twice since inception. Each time looking more and more like a TFN, sizes available, lag screw diameters,etc. Stryker blows.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Any argument about "banging" in the blade versus advancing a lag screw is moot. The reality is that Tip Apex Distance means everything. Synthes finally has some real competition and is struggling to deal with it.
very well said, stryker has the only patented system that allows surgeons to micro adjust for TAD. Aside from that, the surface area of the gamma3 lagscrew is much greater than the three tines of the helical blade.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Anonymous

you sir are a monkey..

your patented device pays s&n everytime you use it

by the way tfn is better i just got hired by stryker power i was a scrub tech so i use them all

the tfn is always faster and easier
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Anonymous

Just curious, what are the synthes reps saying in there sales presentations to surgeons when they pitch the TFN? Personally I think the TFN is faster and much easier to use.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
BINGO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The man knows his stuff.....
This man is a little ignorant. Do you know how much of ortho and medicine in general is OFF LABEL? Untill probably 7-8 years ago most porous coated hip stems were off label and for cemented use only, yet we have 25-30 year data on them being press fit in the US. A huge segment of spine is all off label, from using BMP to pedicle screws. Keep listening to your product managers and keep losing out on sales. Stryker changes their tune to suit their line. I like how suddenly metal on metal is okay now that Stryker can market the Cormet. Gamma is fine, TFN is better. I would worry more about selling locking plates.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Anonymous

Default sales pitch?

Anyone using a good sales pitch for the tfn? What are you saying that is swaying a doc to go with it Vs GAMMA?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Anonymous

Radius of curvature of TFN is better than Gamma 3 nail. What does that mean? Take a lateral xray and you will see that the gamma 3 impinges on the anterior cortex. Patients complain of knee pain. Gamma long nails are straighter and the TFN has more curve. Femurs aren't straight.

Ease of use. TFN is very easy and has a lot less steps. Gamma good but doesnt touch TFN.

Since Stryker went to a 15mm opening reamer for their nail, the nail is breaking.

Oblique locking hole for short nails (TFN) vs. Straight Static for Gamma. TFN allows for motion. Dont see femur fractures below a short nail with TFN.

I dont work for Synthes. I'm a PA for well known Orthopaedic Surgeon who recently switched to TFN.

Sorry
Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Anonymous

Check out the thread entitled 'TFN Removal' on the Synthes board. There are pros and cons in the posts but there are also some serious problems with the device.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Check out the thread entitled 'TFN Removal' on the Synthes board. There are pros and cons in the posts but there are also some serious problems with the device.
The easiest to use hip fx device in the hosp and the reps take care of us

some guys use gamma but it's going away
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Anonymous

Firm beliver in TFN, better cut out resistance, off set screw holes, built in set screw, no predrilling for a lag screw, significantly less bone is removed. Both are good devices but TFN is better for time being. I hope some engineer out there will figure out the "perfect" IM device soon.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Can't find any info on that Orthofix nail on the internet. Nothing shows up on their site, or even on google.
Come on guys do your research. What do you mean you couldnt find anything on the internet. Its the INTERNET. Saying you cant find something in the library or perhaps in a medical journal is one thing....but the internet.
Here is the link for Orthofix. It has answers to everything that you were looking for.
http://www.orthofix.com/products/veronail.asp?cid=10
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Anonymous

Anyone reading this should first of all be promoting the best implant for the fracture pattern. You should also know the difference between Inter, Per, reverse, and Sub-Trochanteric Proximal Femur Fractures before you start talking about devices. Then you should look at the supporting data. We work in an evidence based field

Stable Trochantenric Fx's (anyone?) where the medial cortex is in tact is treated more than adequately by any sliding compression screw device and there is ample data to support that. The cost-benefit choice of DHS which has been shown to provide similar results to the more expensive option of IM Nails.

Unstable Trochanteric Fx's are where it gets tricky and even IM Nails aren't the clear winner on these with complication rates quoted in the 6-15% range.

Apart from the change in mechanical advantage from the DHS -> IM Nail, I can't see any technical improvement in lag screw type cephalomedullary devices. Biomechanical testing and radiographic review of cut out shows that rotation of the head and neck is the main cause. Reducing the TAD reduces the rotational forces around the lag screw by ensuring the forces translate through the screw (not around it) leading to a reduction in cut out.

If you can provide more rotational control of the head and neck then there is an advantage to be gained. The TFN and the PFNA (european and asia pacific model) provide this with the helical blade. Love or hate it, it does provide that advantage. Would you rather stand on a round log or flat platform?

Issues around "Banging" are educational and a good rep will take their time to ensure the surgeon is comfortable with this technique.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of the patients these devices are implanted into are elderly with some level of osteopenia. 26% die before regaining mobility and 42% never regain full mobility. Some innovation is required to improve those statistics.

All I'll say from here is that I've seen more Gamma3 revisions in the last 12 months than PFNA revisions.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: HOW DOES GAMMA COMPARE TO TFN???

Doesn't Gamma 3 mean the "third version" of the Gamma Nail? I heard that Stryker is coming out w a Gamma 4 (how many versions is it going to take to get the nail correct). The Gamma 4 is supposed to have an internal set screw (sounds familiar to the TFN), also the Gamma 4 long nail is supposed to have an anatomic anterior bow (again sounds familiar to the TFN). Sounds like there may be patent infringement w the Gamma 4. Stryker Reps loved jumping on the bandwagon about a method of use patent infringement between Synthes and Smith & Nephew and stated that the TFN would be taken off the shelf. That did not happen.

Question: Where is your Proximal Humeral Nail now? Method of Use Patent Infringement is much different than an implant patent infringment.

Sounds like Stryker is in a Dog Fight. 3 FDA warnings in 18 Months (Orthopaedics x 2, Biotech x 1). Also, has anyone ever heard of a company winning a lawsuit against the Federal Government (FDA and DOJ). I love the sound of sqeeky hips, I believe that this is a Class Action Lawsuit pending as well.

Getting back though... Short TFNs are skin to skin in 5 to 8 minutes. Don't think anyone can do a Gamma Nail in that short of time.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Anonymous

Question!!!

I broke my hip and it was repaired with a rod and tfn nail that went into my femur.
Two days after the hip repair my femur cracked....right under the rod/tfn nail.
The dr reports say it is due to the TFN nail.
I am in my early 40's and have no health problems (no osteoporosis, etc)

Any thoughts here???
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Anonymous

Sue your doctor for being a shitty surgeon.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Anonymous

Thank you...I needed a good laugh and I got one.

Seriously, do you think it is a dr issue?
In his report, it almost sounds like he is blaming the "tfn nail".

I found this blog by trying to research complications with
tfn nails.

The leg fracture caused me to be in a wheelchair for 2.5 months.
If it were just a hip repair, I would have been rehabing quickly.
I was non-wt bearing for 2.5 months due to femur fracture and I
am not happy about it.

Thanks...I need opinions!!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Anonymous

Was it a hip or femur fracture? They are two very different things. Given your age TFN would not be indicated for a femur fracture. Without seeing pre and post op x-rays I don't think anyone has any real advice to give you. Try getting a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon and stop asking questions on a message board.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Anonymous

I dont know why people on message boards are so mean...I guess cause they can be.

I just happened to be researching-as most of us do these days online.
I was searching for tfn nail complications.
That is all....didn't come to a message board to solve my issue.

Just looking for friendly advice from people that might have information/exp
with TFN nails.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Anonymous

Your on the wrong board, idiot
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Anonymous

How pleasant.....is it ignorant people or kindergarten children that call people names?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Question!!!

I broke my hip and it was repaired with a rod and tfn nail that went into my femur.
Two days after the hip repair my femur cracked....right under the rod/tfn nail.
The dr reports say it is due to the TFN nail.
I am in my early 40's and have no health problems (no osteoporosis, etc)

Any thoughts here???
When you say you broke your hip, was it a femoral neck fracture or was there an additional fracture in the proximal femur? if it was a femoral neck fracture other than a base of neck fracture a cephalomedullary nail (such as a TFN or Gamma) would not be indicated.

When you say the femur cracked under the rod/tfn, do you know if this was a short tfn or a long tfn? A pre-op x-ray would show whether or not there was more than just a neck fracture. You might have also had a shaft fracture as well. was a distal screw used? were you compliant? did you fall sometime after surgery?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Anonymous

After selling the ITST for Zimmer for a couple of years, then being blessed enough to sell the TFN. Holy shit, what a difference. Time, effort and stress are all lessened with the TFN. Its the easiest implant to put in, by far. Stryker can try all they want, but the gamma guys are not as widespread as they once were and the reasons are ease of use and efficacy.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Anonymous

What about S&N's Intertan nail? I hear they have good clinical data now. Did S&N produce this study?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
What about S&N's Intertan nail? I hear they have good clinical data now. Did S&N produce this study?
If you are referring to the recent JOT article there are a few reports of usage out of one institution. And I believe the author(s) were sponsored by S&N.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: