» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads


Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Pharma/Biotech Companies > AstraZeneca
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AstraZeneca Anonymous board for AstraZeneca.

Reply

 
Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why no generic Symbicort?

Budesonide and Fometerol are both generic, so what gives? Does anyone know? I checked the Novartis wbsite and in an annual report they talked about losing their patent protection a year or so ago.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Budesonide and Fometerol are both generic, so what gives? Does anyone know? I checked the Novartis wbsite and in an annual report they talked about losing their patent protection a year or so ago.
You're kidding, right? This can't be a serious post. Are you so absolutely clueless that you would actually post such a moronic message? Please, you must be kidding?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

GSK reps take 3 days out of territory to learn about Symbicort and this is the best they can come up with?

A better guess would be that a lot of GSK reps will be going generic when they start losing market share and the stockholders are pissed. No reason to have so many reps when you're losing money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
GSK reps take 3 days out of territory to learn about Symbicort and this is the best they can come up with?

A better guess would be that a lot of GSK reps will be going generic when they start losing market share and the stockholders are pissed. No reason to have so many reps when you're losing money.
Funny!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

OP here, I wasn't kidding! It must be that no one knows the answer. They're already compounding this mixture at the pharmacy, why not stick it in an aerosol can and sell it for 10 bucks and make a fortune?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
OP here, I wasn't kidding! It must be that no one knows the answer. They're already compounding this mixture at the pharmacy, why not stick it in an aerosol can and sell it for 10 bucks and make a fortune?
Not only are you stupid, you're so completely unaware of how ignorant you are that you re-affirm your stupidity with this post. Yes, the compounders can mix up budesonide and formoterol, or fluticasone or mometasone or any other fucking compounds they want. Just as I can mix together sugar and food dye and some other shit to make cola; but it ain't Coke and it ain't Pepsi or anything else I'd want to drink. You are one dumb fucker.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Not only are you stupid, you're so completely unaware of how ignorant you are that you re-affirm your stupidity with this post. Yes, the compounders can mix up budesonide and formoterol, or fluticasone or mometasone or any other fucking compounds they want. Just as I can mix together sugar and food dye and some other shit to make cola; but it ain't Coke and it ain't Pepsi or anything else I'd want to drink. You are one dumb fucker.
Nice answer to a legitimate question -- obviously you don't know either. Patents are up for both products, also exclusivity. By the way, why are you hostile with your vacuous response? Does the fact that you can't answer make you mad?

There IS a Sam's cola. What is keeping the generic companies from selling generic budesonide mixxed with generic fometerol in an aerosol can?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Nice answer to a legitimate question -- obviously you don't know either. Patents are up for both products, also exclusivity. By the way, why are you hostile with your vacuous response? Does the fact that you can't answer make you mad?

There IS a Sam's cola. What is keeping the generic companies from selling generic budesonide mixxed with generic fometerol in an aerosol can?
You really are a dumbass. Compounders are already selling knock-off versions of both products and, in some instances, a combined product, usually in a nebulized version. The reason it's not a very good seller is because it's not nearly as effective as the branded medication. This is primarily due to the crude manufacturing process. Now, does this answer your question? By the way, go fuck yourself...and your mother's mother's grandmother! I hate you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Dude, the OP may be an idiot, but you may want to ease up on his mother's relatives. Take it easy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Check out this link:

http://www.genpharm.ca/spotlight.asp#

and click on gen-budesonide. I think Germany's Merck could meet the quality standards our FDA imposes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Check out this link:

http://www.genpharm.ca/spotlight.asp#

and click on gen-budesonide. I think Germany's Merck could meet the quality standards our FDA imposes.
The pricing page on this site shows that a 120 dose bottle of 64mcg per dose is around 8 dollars. 1/10th of the retail price for our product.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The pricing page on this site shows that a 120 dose bottle of 64mcg per dose is around 8 dollars. 1/10th of the retail price for our product.
Tell you what, if you ever need to have an operation, instead of going to the best surgeon your insurance will pay for, I dare you to go to a surgeon that offers to do the same work, but for 1/10th the price. Now, how confident are you?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

To All,

Check out the FDA Orange Book if you ever have "real" questions in regard to this. In the case of Symbicort, AZ has 4 patents associated with the product providing exclusivity to at least 2014 with some out to 2017.

In the case of Advair, the first patents in the US expire in Feb 2008 and others go out until 2011. With combination pulminary drugs, patents really are not the barrier. It is the difficulty of formulating and registering the product. MDIs being the easier of the to formulations for the generics to develop.

Hope that clarifies things,
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
To All,

Check out the FDA Orange Book if you ever have "real" questions in regard to this. In the case of Symbicort, AZ has 4 patents associated with the product providing exclusivity to at least 2014 with some out to 2017.

In the case of Advair, the first patents in the US expire in Feb 2008 and others go out until 2011. With combination pulminary drugs, patents really are not the barrier. It is the difficulty of formulating and registering the product. MDIs being the easier of the to formulations for the generics to develop.

Hope that clarifies things,
Oddly enough, it actually does.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
To All,

Check out the FDA Orange Book if you ever have "real" questions in regard to this. In the case of Symbicort, AZ has 4 patents associated with the product providing exclusivity to at least 2014 with some out to 2017.

In the case of Advair, the first patents in the US expire in Feb 2008 and others go out until 2011. With combination pulminary drugs, patents really are not the barrier. It is the difficulty of formulating and registering the product. MDIs being the easier of the to formulations for the generics to develop.

Hope that clarifies things,
Awesome! A response not riddled with insults, from someone who actually knew something and could back it up!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Awesome! A response not riddled with insults, from someone who actually knew something and could back it up!
Your mother is a _____________ and a _______________! She likes to __________ with horses and other medium-sized quadripeds! Now, why don't you put a ___________ in your ____________!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Pharmacies and DME companies have been compounding Form and Bude for some time. However, these companies are starting to stop this process. First off, Medicare does not reimburse for Formeterol. Get a decent reimbursement for bude but they are unable to continue to continue to take a loss on the form. Also, FDA has been cracking down on this type of compounding. They take a dim view of compounding a med then getting reimbursed as supplied a branded drug i.e. DuoNeb. Plus, as previous poster alluded to, compounded meds carry no expiration date or lot numbers. In other words, you take your chances. A few years ago, Lincare got busted big-time for compounding. If patients only knew. Actually, same could be said for doctors and they're the ones whose ass in on the line if something goes wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

So the European patent office pulled their protection -- why are the US authorities suck suckers? Isn't AZ a European company? I hear AZ is working on a patent for Nexium and aspirin next. Such innovators!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Pharmacies and DME companies have been compounding Form and Bude for some time. However, these companies are starting to stop this process. First off, Medicare does not reimburse for Formeterol. Get a decent reimbursement for bude but they are unable to continue to continue to take a loss on the form. Also, FDA has been cracking down on this type of compounding. They take a dim view of compounding a med then getting reimbursed as supplied a branded drug i.e. DuoNeb. Plus, as previous poster alluded to, compounded meds carry no expiration date or lot numbers. In other words, you take your chances. A few years ago, Lincare got busted big-time for compounding. If patients only knew. Actually, same could be said for doctors and they're the ones whose ass in on the line if something goes wrong.
Actually, Medicare no longer allows for compounded neb meds. They had enough of that scam and finally said enough is enough.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
So the European patent office pulled their protection -- why are the US authorities suck suckers? Isn't AZ a European company? I hear AZ is working on a patent for Nexium and aspirin next. Such innovators!
Can you guys sell Nexiumsprin? I mean, you are the sales force. When the patent expires, all you are really getting from your customers is a price objection, right?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Can you guys sell Nexiumsprin? I mean, you are the sales force. When the patent expires, all you are really getting from your customers is a price objection, right?
----------------No, Nexium suppositories are next.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Or Nexium XL. Surely someone has looked at this tactic as they have with every other successful product that approaches patent expiry.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Since they can't find anything new because they don't know what they're doing. (Isn't that what your DM tells you when you don't meet a target, no matter how unreasonable or insignificant the target is?

Pharma "R & D" is a complete joke. It's never discovered anything, except by accident.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

I have to say that sicko who was replying to the OP with every foul word known to man is an example of the worst sort of human on the planet.

Seems the only reason the response was so rude is because of the potential answer to the question: a cheaper alternative to Symbicort leading to fewer sales.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

It is ASTOUNDING that this still goes on. Symbicort is an obvious combination of two long established products that have been used in combination for years. Europe's patent officials pulled their protection. But the suckers running the bankrupt country in the USA provide protection for this product, reimburse the foreign manufacturer through government programs, and pay for the court system to prosecute any manufacturer who dares make a generic.

They are all bought and paid for.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It is ASTOUNDING that this still goes on. Symbicort is an obvious combination of two long established products that have been used in combination for years. Europe's patent officials pulled their protection. But the suckers running the bankrupt country in the USA provide protection for this product, reimburse the foreign manufacturer through government programs, and pay for the court system to prosecute any manufacturer who dares make a generic.

They are all bought and paid for.
Sounds like a competitor that is feeling pressure and is resorting to loser tactics. There's enough room for two of us. All we want in our fair share. Peace and love baby
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Many products will be generic within 5 years. So my advice would be save your money, because the end is near. Big Pharma has no game plan, but to rebate customers and beat up the sales force. Make more useless paperwork!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Sounds like a competitor that is feeling pressure and is resorting to loser tactics. There's enough room for two of us. All we want in our fair share. Peace and love baby
Sorry, wrong. This was my post, and I don't work from a competitor.

So you can't just brush this aside. Care to make a point based on the substance of what I wrote? Oh, you can't, because there is no counterpoint to the truth.

Patient Health First!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Sounds like a competitor that is feeling pressure and is resorting to loser tactics. There's enough room for two of us. All we want in our fair share. Peace and love baby
And your "fair" share is zero. Both components to Symbicort are long standing generic compounds. The product should not have patent protection here, just like it doesn't in AZ's home country.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

The question is a legitimate question. The poster that responded with "f this or that" is an idiot. They really just rant and rave but don't seem to be able to answer the question. I'm guessing a frustrated drug rep. To that moron...well, they can go pound sand. Serious emotional issues with that one for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

One person hit on the right answer earlier, both molecules ARE available generically but the problem isn't getting the product into a container, the product is showing particle size, stability and efficacy and consistently and over time. A very difficult thing to do,, hence many of the problems AZ (Astra before that) had with turbuhaler. You can compound them but there is a lot of variability in stability, efficacy, etc. and no manufacturer can get a facility here in the US approved. Probably a lot more complicated than that but that is how it was explained to me by a pharm D from AZ.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
One person hit on the right answer earlier, both molecules ARE available generically but the problem isn't getting the product into a container, the product is showing particle size, stability and efficacy and consistently and over time. A very difficult thing to do,, hence many of the problems AZ (Astra before that) had with turbuhaler. You can compound them but there is a lot of variability in stability, efficacy, etc. and no manufacturer can get a facility here in the US approved. Probably a lot more complicated than that but that is how it was explained to me by a pharm D from AZ.
Yeah, but if the person talking is in AZ management. we know from experience that it's likely a lie. The rime example of a similar lie that comes to mind is the lie from management about Pulmicort Respules. They said it was too difficult for any other manufacturer to make. Then lo and behold, a generic company, then another, try to launch. Immediately there's a patent infringement lawsuit. So soon, there will be a launch, but AZ will have a piece of the profits.

I thought Pulmicort Respules was too difficult to make? That's what the most senior product guy -- Zahir Lhada, I think, told everybody. It was a LIE. There's no generic available because of AZ's government protections. Same as Symbicort.

It is past time we the people take our markets back. We should benefit from capitalism in terms of lower prices and better products. As things are now in pharma, we the people get the same, repackaged products, at higher prices. It is an outrage. Only the pharma executives and the politicians they pay off benefit. And it's on our backs, as taxpayers.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Yeah, but if the person talking is in AZ management. we know from experience that it's likely a lie. The rime example of a similar lie that comes to mind is the lie from management about Pulmicort Respules. They said it was too difficult for any other manufacturer to make. Then lo and behold, a generic company, then another, try to launch. Immediately there's a patent infringement lawsuit. So soon, there will be a launch, but AZ will have a piece of the profits.

I thought Pulmicort Respules was too difficult to make? That's what the most senior product guy -- Zahir Lhada, I think, told everybody. It was a LIE. There's no generic available because of AZ's government protections. Same as Symbicort.

It is past time we the people take our markets back. We should benefit from capitalism in terms of lower prices and better products. As things are now in pharma, we the people get the same, repackaged products, at higher prices. It is an outrage. Only the pharma executives and the politicians they pay off benefit. And it's on our backs, as taxpayers.
You know what? I just reread the above post, my post, and I'm sending a letter to my Congressman on this issue. I rewrite what I posted here, better, and include a lot more, and my copy of Ms. Angel's book.

The media is also in big pharma's pocket, and why shouldn't they be? With all of those prime time ads, big pharma is likely one of Fox News' (the only decent media outlet with genuine journalists) best customers.

It's time for me to do more than bitch on CafePharma. We need to wake up and do the right thing for the country. No one is in a better position to understand the evil present in our industry than us, the insiders, and I'm going to do something to shine some disinfecting sunlight on some issues here. I'll be sure to include a copy of my letter to Billy Tauzin, a man with all of the steadfastness of character as Barney Frank. The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
You know what? I just reread the above post, my post, and I'm sending a letter to my Congressman on this issue. I rewrite what I posted here, better, and include a lot more, and my copy of Ms. Angel's book.

The media is also in big pharma's pocket, and why shouldn't they be? With all of those prime time ads, big pharma is likely one of Fox News' (the only decent media outlet with genuine journalists) best customers.

It's time for me to do more than bitch on CafePharma. We need to wake up and do the right thing for the country. No one is in a better position to understand the evil present in our industry than us, the insiders, and I'm going to do something to shine some disinfecting sunlight on some issues here. I'll be sure to include a copy of my letter to Billy Tauzin, a man with all of the steadfastness of character as Barney Frank. The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
Disgruntled former RPT rep? Me thinks so.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Disgruntled former RPT rep? Me thinks so.
And your point is?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
You really are a dumbass. Compounders are already selling knock-off versions of both products and, in some instances, a combined product, usually in a nebulized version. The reason it's not a very good seller is because it's not nearly as effective as the branded medication. This is primarily due to the crude manufacturing process. Now, does this answer your question? By the way, go fuck yourself...and your mother's mother's grandmother! I hate you.
Someone ban this useless plug's IP. I'd say this lowlife is bipolar, but even bipolar people are more rational than this loser.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Davey
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Tell you what, if you ever need to have an operation, instead of going to the best surgeon your insurance will pay for, I dare you to go to a surgeon that offers to do the same work, but for 1/10th the price. Now, how confident are you?
You're comparing apples to oranges. In a more relative comparison, Generic Cetirizine is just as effective as Reactine.

A company that has half a brain would obviously perfect the process of making a generic Symbicort before it hits market.

Me thinks some people here are /financially/ interested in the makers of Symbicort, hence why there's so many childish responses in here. AstraZeneca probably hires goons to scan the internet and reply to people questioning the patents.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

The European patent authorities threw the patent out as "obvious."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Arms Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Your mother is a _____________ and a _______________! She likes to __________ with horses and other medium-sized quadripeds! Now, why don't you put a ___________ in your ____________!!!


I JUST LOVE...MADAZ Libs...get it..so here we go



Your mother is a _symbicort canister____________ and a _biatch______________! She likes to _gyrate_________ with horses and other medium-sized quadripeds! Now, why don't you put a _sock__________ in your __bootay__________!!![/quote]
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Not only are you stupid, you're so completely unaware of how ignorant you are that you re-affirm your stupidity with this post. Yes, the compounders can mix up budesonide and formoterol, or fluticasone or mometasone or any other fucking compounds they want. Just as I can mix together sugar and food dye and some other shit to make cola; but it ain't Coke and it ain't Pepsi or anything else I'd want to drink. You are one dumb fucker.
As a Joe Public person who just Googled on whether or not there is a generic version of Symbicort, I don't really find your rudeness to be useful. People post questions because they are looking for an answer, not to be berated. You may know all the ins and outs of the pharmaceutical world, but there's lots of us out here who don't. I hope you can share the knowledge you have with us.

It's kind of like having a teacher make fun of you for asking what they consider to be a dumb question - the pupil stops asking questions. The goal, I would think, is to have as many informed people out there as possible.

Just my thoughts is all. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Seriously? The above response is to a reply that is almost four years old. Way to go, Idaho!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
As a Joe Public person who just Googled on whether or not there is a generic version of Symbicort, I don't really find your rudeness to be useful. People post questions because they are looking for an answer, not to be berated. You may know all the ins and outs of the pharmaceutical world, but there's lots of us out here who don't. I hope you can share the knowledge you have with us.

It's kind of like having a teacher make fun of you for asking what they consider to be a dumb question - the pupil stops asking questions. The goal, I would think, is to have as many informed people out there as possible.

Just my thoughts is all. :-)
Thank you for your input. The esoteric nature of pharmaceuticals is dwindling as information becomes more and more available. There is NOTHING special about Symbicort! Is is the repackaging (in an old package we used to sell against as bad, cause it sprays the medicine all over your mouth instead of in the lungs) of two old off patent products. The repackaged product, Symbicort, is priced about 10X what it should be, based on what the compounds sell as separate, individual products.

Remember, the companies selling the generic budesonide and generic fometerol so so at a PROFIT. But AZ has to charge 10X that, and gets away with it, thanks to the protection of the inept US patent office.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Thank you for your input. The esoteric nature of pharmaceuticals is dwindling as information becomes more and more available. There is NOTHING special about Symbicort! Is is the repackaging (in an old package we used to sell against as bad, cause it sprays the medicine all over your mouth instead of in the lungs) of two old off patent products. The repackaged product, Symbicort, is priced about 10X what it should be, based on what the compounds sell as separate, individual products.

Remember, the companies selling the generic budesonide and generic fometerol so so at a PROFIT. But AZ has to charge 10X that, and gets away with it, thanks to the protection of the inept US patent office.
I have no knowledge of from wence you came. If you're in the industry, you are probably a young democrat, embarrassed by how little you do and by how much you make. That's only temporary though so enjoy it.

If you're a visitor from outside the industry, then you have little understanding of business. You don't duct take two old molecules together and sell them. The cost to getting these two old staples into a delivery system that is acceptable to the FDA is huge.

Play your socialist stories elsewhere.

If you support the Canadian system for example, where innovative pharma is dead, then you'll be somewhat happy only as long as the US versions of new drugs are available just over the border. That will eventually dry up too.

I'm tired of the bs coming from the left about innovation and the US healthcare and cost. "The US has the worst system of all countries". What they don't tell you is that "Universal Healthcare" Is 50% of the points. A stacked deck.

Having lived and worked in many countries, this is one of the few I'd want to get sick in.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I have no knowledge of from wence you came. If you're in the industry, you are probably a young democrat, embarrassed by how little you do and by how much you make. That's only temporary though so enjoy it.

If you're a visitor from outside the industry, then you have little understanding of business. You don't duct take two old molecules together and sell them. The cost to getting these two old staples into a delivery system that is acceptable to the FDA is huge.

Play your socialist stories elsewhere.

If you support the Canadian system for example, where innovative pharma is dead, then you'll be somewhat happy only as long as the US versions of new drugs are available just over the border. That will eventually dry up too.

I'm tired of the bs coming from the left about innovation and the US healthcare and cost. "The US has the worst system of all countries". What they don't tell you is that "Universal Healthcare" Is 50% of the points. A stacked deck.

Having lived and worked in many countries, this is one of the few I'd want to get sick in.
Rather than discuss the topic at hand, your first two paragraphs are speculation about me personally. Then you call me a socialist! I am a free market capitalist, and it is clear from what I wrote. We should allow the free market to dictate pricing for pharmaceuticals. We don't -- the US government patent office protects this combination product. (Europe's patent office calls the combination "obvious" and therefore does not offer AZ patent protection on Symbicort.)

I said nothing about the US system being the worst of all countries.

I'm weary of idiots like you who divert the topic in order to promulgate your agenda -- which is to continue to protect the pharmaceutical industry -- but will keep trying nevertheless. The reason that there has been NO new products from pharma in the last decade is that the industry is protected by government agencies. If the free market were allowed to operate in the pharmaceutical arena, we'd see prices come down drastically, and innovation start again.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
If you support the Canadian system for example, where innovative pharma is dead, then you'll be somewhat happy only as long as the US versions of new drugs are available just over the border. That will eventually dry up too.
What are "US versions of new drugs?" Aren't new drugs the same new drugs everywhere?

And exactly what new drugs have come out in the last 10 years? Bet you can't name anything other than a new version of an old drug -- hence your slip above in quotes.

Pharmaceutical innovation is dead in the USA, Canada, and worldwide, BECAUSE of the way the system is set up in the USA. The best safest surest way to make big bucks is to repack old proven products like penicillin into a shiny "new and improved" box and sell it for $200 a month to someone IN THE USA who is sick, needs medicine now, and doesn't know how to shop for a better product. It helps if he has someone like the government or an insurance company paying for most of it.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
What are "US versions of new drugs?" Aren't new drugs the same new drugs everywhere?

And exactly what new drugs have come out in the last 10 years? Bet you can't name anything other than a new version of an old drug -- hence your slip above in quotes.

Pharmaceutical innovation is dead in the USA, Canada, and worldwide, BECAUSE of the way the system is set up in the USA. The best safest surest way to make big bucks is to repack old proven products like penicillin into a shiny "new and improved" box and sell it for $200 a month to someone IN THE USA who is sick, needs medicine now, and doesn't know how to shop for a better product. It helps if he has someone like the government or an insurance company paying for most of it.
Totally agree. But this is a blame that has plenty of departments, inside pharma and governments, to hang the blame on.

Last 10 years? How about the DPP 4s?
I don't think they are much of an innovation, but they are new(er).
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Totally agree. But this is a blame that has plenty of departments, inside pharma and governments, to hang the blame on.

Last 10 years? How about the DPP 4s?
I don't think they are much of an innovation, but they are new(er).
At least you tried:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develop...e-4_inhibitors

The link reads that the discovery came around '94 or '95, so that makes it around 15 years ago. It's a sorry fact, but a true one. Pharma R & D can't discover shit!

Can we at least admit that, and then move on to the possible whys?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Not only are you stupid, you're so completely unaware of how ignorant you are that you re-affirm your stupidity with this post. Yes, the compounders can mix up budesonide and formoterol, or fluticasone or mometasone or any other fucking compounds they want. Just as I can mix together sugar and food dye and some other shit to make cola; but it ain't Coke and it ain't Pepsi or anything else I'd want to drink. You are one dumb fucker.
Anonymous is one unhappy child!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Arms Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Go to http://www.pharmacyrxworld.com/

Budesonide/Formoterol Inhaler is the generic they also sell symbicort
Both are manufactured in India
I have been using it for almost a year now

They also have generic sprivia too.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why no generic Symbicort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Go to http://www.pharmacyrxworld.com/

Budesonide/Formoterol Inhaler is the generic they also sell symbicort
Both are manufactured in India
I have been using it for almost a year now

They also have generic sprivia too.
I'm sure the generic Symbicort is a real deal money wise. However the curry taste is awful.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.