for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Company Boards > Pfizer
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.15 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Anonymous

Question Exubera Production

Whats goung to happen with the exubera production facilities in Terre Haute now that the exubera ship has sunk??????
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: Exubera Production

Their moving equipment to Kalamazoo MI plant.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Their moving equipment to Kalamazoo MI plant.
Says who? I'm not hearing anything of that nature...but then again, I don't get all the juicy news...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
Says who? I'm not hearing anything of that nature...but then again, I don't get all the juicy news...
God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f**ked.

http://www.exubera-risks.com/?cat=10&paged=5

"The company currently makes Exubera at its Terre Haute, Ind. manufacturing facility, then transports the diabetes medication nearly 300 miles to its Portage, Mich. plant for final packaging.

Three months ago this blog reported that investment WR Hamcrecht + Co. — which “maintains a market” (i.e., owns) in shares of the co-developer of the inhaled insulin, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ:NKTR) — may have inadvertently disclosed an production risk:

Nektar makes all the dry powder insulin (the doses that are inhaled) at its headquarters in San Carlos[, Calif.], and Pfizer has been getting all that it has ordered there.

Could having all the Exubera powder made at one facility create a supply-chain risk for Exubera production and sale to diabetic consumers? On a purely practical level, this seems like a rather risky move. "
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Anonymous

Employees of “Pfizers” (sic) can expect a 50% work force reduction this December, 2007.

To all you who transferred to Terre Haute who bought 200k + houses, who is going to buy your house? The Paper Mill’s new hires? You’re all so very, very screwed.

PS. Lilly doesn't want or need you either.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f**ked.

"The company currently makes Exubera at its Terre Haute, Ind. manufacturing facility, then transports the diabetes medication nearly 300 miles to its Portage, Mich. plant for final packaging.

Three months ago this blog reported that investment WR Hamcrecht + Co. — which “maintains a market” (i.e., owns) in shares of the co-developer of the inhaled insulin, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ:NKTR) — may have inadvertently disclosed an production risk:

Nektar makes all the dry powder insulin (the doses that are inhaled) at its headquarters in San Carlos[, Calif.], and Pfizer has been getting all that it has ordered there.

Could having all the Exubera powder made at one facility create a supply-chain risk for Exubera production and sale to diabetic consumers? On a purely practical level, this seems like a rather risky move. "
This isn't anything about moving equipment. Just that the kits are assembled in Michigan. There is a lot more to the process than putting it in a kit.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Anonymous

Talking Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
Employees of “Pfizers” (sic) can expect a 50% work force reduction this December, 2007.

To all you who transferred to Terre Haute who bought 200k + houses, who is going to buy your house? The Paper Mill’s new hires? You’re all so very, very screwed.

Come to New York instead and get a $850,000 condo or $1.75 million basic house. Your $200K house will barely float a down payment, buds.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Anonymous

Smile Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
This isn't anything about moving equipment. Just that the kits are assembled in Michigan. There is a lot more to the process than putting it in a kit.
Like putting the premiums into the cereal boxes, hey?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

That's why you don't buy a 200K house when entering a small city to work with a startup product. You take the cautious approach (bank cash) until it takes off or sinks. Pfizer pays well enough that either way it's not a bad move.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Anonymous

Question Re: Exubera Production

"To all you who transferred to Terre Haute who bought 200k + houses, who is going to buy your house? The Paper Mill’s new hires? You’re all so very, very screwed".

Even though sales appear to be down, management personnel keep telling everyone that sales will improve.... and just how accurate is this 50% work reduction information anyway? There is still ongoing construction for the administration buildings?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Anonymous

Worried Re: Exubera Production

They can't give it up, the product is dead. As for the Terre Haute plant I haven't heard whats going to happen there...........
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

Where are you getting this information in regards to a 50% workforce reduction? The county is receiving a large tax abatement and it wouldn't look good for Pfizer to pull out....
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Even though sales appear to be down, management personnel keep telling everyone that sales will improve.... and just how accurate is this 50% work reduction information anyway? There is still ongoing construction for the administration buildings?
The sales can't improve enough. The sales aren't down, the sales never started. Exubera is a pharmaceutucal dog and the writing is on the wall for anyone and everyone involved. Seriously, no one can be so stupid as to think there is any hope at all for the Exubera portion of Terre Haute to stay open past 2008... "Single line" production will last how long?

The costs are to high to continue support for the Terre Haute site when all the production needed for the product line over the next 10 years appears to be supported by Nektar and Michigan completely...

Why wouldn't "Pfizers" (sic) continue construction of administration buildings? There's always 1247 and 1244 to under support...

How accurate is the 50% number? Um, how many days is 1250 actually running and then at near zero % capacity?

If you're working in Terre Haute on Exubera you best be ready for a Christmas layoff.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Where are you getting this information in regards to a 50% workforce reduction? The county is receiving a large tax abatement and it wouldn't look good for Pfizer to pull out....
What does "Pfizers" care? Like there is some other place to work in Vigo county?

"Pfizers" got to sell their Waste Water Treatment plant to Danisco for a nice multimillion dollar profit and shed the operating and regulatory costs of having a WWTP at the same time.

"Pfizers" got the county to build "Pfizers" a new ($12+million) waste water treatment plant for free and the county will pay for the operating costs and regulatory costs of running the new WWTP and in return "Pfizers" has to do nothing.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
The sales can't improve enough. The sales aren't down, the sales never started. Exubera is a pharmaceutucal dog and the writing is on the wall for anyone and everyone involved. Seriously, no one can be so stupid as to think there is any hope at all for the Exubera portion of Terre Haute to stay open past 2008... "Single line" production will last how long?

The costs are to high to continue support for the Terre Haute site when all the production needed for the product line over the next 10 years appears to be supported by Nektar and Michigan completely...

Why wouldn't "Pfizers" (sic) continue construction of administration buildings? There's always 1247 and 1244 to under support...

How accurate is the 50% number? Um, how many days is 1250 actually running and then at near zero % capacity?

If you're working in Terre Haute on Exubera you best be ready for a Christmas layoff.
You show your ignorance to the production process. Nektar and Michigan do a small part of the overall process. They don't even have the equipment to package Exubera in Kalamazoo. The site in Terre Haute is intstrumental in producing the product. Now, I'm not saying the plant won't shutdown if Exubera continues to fail. I honestly think the whole site will close and the aseptic ops will be moved to Kalamazoo or elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You show your ignorance to the production process. Nektar and Michigan do a small part of the overall process. They don't even have the equipment to package Exubera in Kalamazoo. The site in Terre Haute is intstrumental in producing the product. Now, I'm not saying the plant won't shutdown if Exubera continues to fail. I honestly think the whole site will close and the aseptic ops will be moved to Kalamazoo or elsewhere.
You mean make blisters? Um, they have like three years to move one line up to
Michigan if they never fill another blister in Terre Haute. Terre Haute is instrumental for Exubera? No. Terre Haute is a huge extra cost that isn't needed in the Exubera budget.

Nektar can spray dry enough Insulin to support twice the current demand.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You mean make blisters? Um, they have like three years to move one line up to
Michigan if they never fill another blister in Terre Haute. Terre Haute is instrumental for Exubera? No. Terre Haute is a huge extra cost that isn't needed in the Exubera budget.

Nektar can spray dry enough Insulin to support twice the current demand.
You make it sound simple...making blisters is extremely difficult for this product. It's not a tablet, filling is extremely complex and the geometry of the blister stretches the limits of the components capabilities. I wouldn't expect a sales person to understand that as it isn't your job. It wouldn't make sense to move the machinery for Exubera production. I think if the product fails it will be dropped and the machines moved and converted for other use.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
You make it sound simple...making blisters is extremely difficult for this product. It's not a tablet, filling is extremely complex and the geometry of the blister stretches the limits of the components capabilities. I wouldn't expect a sales person to understand that as it isn't your job. It wouldn't make sense to move the machinery for Exubera production. I think if the product fails it will be dropped and the machines moved and converted for other use.
Oh, I'm sure if the blisters can be filled in Terre Haute they can be filled anywhere and why move them and convert them when Pfizer can move them and lay off 400 people and still fill blisters?

Seriously, Terre Haute is bad for the bottom line. No matter what happens Terre Haute is doomed because it costs to much to fill blisters there.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Anonymous

Crying Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure if the blisters can be filled in Terre Haute they can be filled anywhere and why move them and convert them when Pfizer can move them and lay off 400 people and still fill blisters?

Seriously, Terre Haute is bad for the bottom line. No matter what happens Terre Haute is doomed because it costs to much to fill blisters there.
So does the local management know of this impending doom, or are they just as blind about what is happening as thier production personnel?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Anonymous

Smile Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
So does the local management know of this impending doom, or are they just as blind about what is happening as thier production personnel?

Top management is already working on getting themselves transfered to new sites... Expect to see Directors and above moving on in the next six months. Some already have, as you know.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Top management is already working on getting themselves transfered to new sites... Expect to see Directors and above moving on in the next six months. Some already have, as you know.
Is this factual or hearsay? The Terre Haute plant keeps proclaiming all is well..............sounds like the rumor mill produces better quality than the exubera production line.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

Sorry if I don't respect your input here, but you are most likely a sales rep who has zero knowledge of what it takes to:

1. Move an entire process
2. Transfer the knowledge and skill sets required
3. Re-validate the entire process
4. Establish all of the specific control parameters around the production process.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
This is plain bullshit, none of the site's top management have moved. That's not to say they won't, but none have yet so get your stuff straight before posting.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

You would move them and convert them to manufacture a more lucrative product. With current sales, Exubera can't absorb one lines worth of cost. So why keep them making exubera?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Anonymous

ANY process can be re-located given the time and $$ and it appears they have plenty of time.

Besides, why have a manufacturing site in west bum-fuck Indiana anyway?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
ANY process can be re-located given the time and $$ and it appears they have plenty of time.

Besides, why have a manufacturing site in west bum-fuck Indiana anyway?
But why relocate a process that:

1 isn't robust
2 doesn't make money
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Anonymous

Can't they manufacture another product at the Terre Haute facility?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Can't they manufacture another product at the Terre Haute facility?
They don't have another product to manufacture...that's part of Pfizer's overall problem. I know niche specialty companies with better pipeline.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Anonymous

Paranoid Re: Exubera Production

Why are they still producing exubera if it is the intention of downsizing? I had a friend from New York just transfer there and he tells me that they were supposed to be bringing in new line equipment. If this is true it looks like he needs some insight onto what is going on.......
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
This is plain bullshit, none of the site's top management have moved. That's not to say they won't, but none have yet so get your stuff straight before posting.
I guess it depends on your perspective and time table...

Many have left but I guess if you think people didn't know what was coming until the last six months you'd be right.

I know there were plans to shutdown the 1247/1244 side in 2007 and due solely to Exubera's poor performance that didn't happen. At least Advantage still is profitable.

Good luck to you and your $20,000,000 a year product Exubera with a $40,000,000 a year budget.

It is very Pfizer-like to shoot the messenger rather than deal with the reality of what the messenger is saying.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I guess it depends on your perspective and time table...

Many have left but I guess if you think people didn't know what was coming until the last six months you'd be right.

I know there were plans to shutdown the 1247/1244 side in 2007 and due solely to Exubera's poor performance that didn't happen. At least Advantage still is profitable.

Good luck to you and your $20,000,000 a year product Exubera with a $40,000,000 a year budget.

It is very Pfizer-like to shoot the messenger rather than deal with the reality of what the messenger is saying.
You're wrong...it's a 400,000,000 a year budget
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Anonymous

So whats up with the production lines in Terre Haute? Is the product now considered a total failure and layoffs inevitable?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
So whats up with the production lines in Terre Haute? Is the product now considered a total failure and layoffs inevitable?
Terre Haute will be fine. There will never be a lay off at Terre Haute. Exubera will be a billion dollar blockbuster. Go back to work and don't worry.

*Runs off to get his resume out before the flood of idiots who can't even read the 10 foot tall writing on the wall start applying for the same limited number of jobs.*
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
From what I understand there are no plans for layoffs. Of course, no one ever knows about the layoff plans until they are laid off.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Anonymous

Party Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
From what I understand there are no plans for layoffs. Of course, no one ever knows about the layoff plans until they are laid off.
The long term plan is to move all manufacturing, packaging and any other labor intensive function to China. Pfizer is building a complex in Zxing Dou, or Din Phoo, or some backwards cesspool where they will pay a buck twelve an hour and the yellow hord will be lining up for the jobs.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Anonymous

So if Exubera production is halted, would there be any plans to produce something else there? It is my understanding that several million dollars have been invested into the upgrade of the plant.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
So if Exubera production is halted, would there be any plans to produce something else there? It is my understanding that several million dollars have been invested into the upgrade of the plant.

Inhaled THC to keep pfizer reps happy. Management is worried about all the talk of revolution here. If they can't scare you into compliance, they'll drug you into submission. Also, we'll start producing penile implants for Reggie Spizzle wannabe's
Old 09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Exubera Production

So whats the deal, Sre they still going to actually keep producing this stuff?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
So whats the deal, Sre they still going to actually keep producing this stuff?
yup
Old 09-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Anonymous

You gotta be kidding, surely Pfizer knows this product is has absolutley no chance of success. Do they think that if they wish hard enough that it will turn into a blockbuster?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You gotta be kidding, surely Pfizer knows this product is has absolutley no chance of success. Do they think that if they wish hard enough that it will turn into a blockbuster?
I figure the companies ego will get in its way...
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I figure the companies ego will get in its way...
Pfizer has even pulled the media adds, why keep producing?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
when did they pull those? just curious...
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Where did this come from? The ads are appearing all the time.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Anonymous

Grumble Re: Exubera Production

Quote:
If you worked for Pfizer you'd know that Pfizer believes that by shear force of will they can do anything.

With enough will power you can make Exubera profitable.

With enough will power you can make employees happy.

With enough will power you can make black hole sites profitable.

With enough will power you can make a drug pipe line using only sycophants, politcians and diplomats as your researchers.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
If you worked for Pfizer you'd know that Pfizer believes that by shear force of will they can do anything.

With enough will power you can make Exubera profitable.

With enough will power you can make employees happy.

With enough will power you can make black hole sites profitable.

With enough will power you can make a drug pipe line using only sycophants, politcians and diplomats as your researchers.

Aern't you talking about the biggest drug company in the WORLD? Must be doing SOMETHING right!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Aern't you talking about the biggest drug company in the WORLD? Must be doing SOMETHING right!
GSK is the largest drug company in the world and I'm not talking about GSK.

You question and your claim are a moot point as, if a company WAS the biggest drug company in the world and they no longer are... Must be doing something WRONG!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Anonymous

In the words of Herb Kelleher, former CEO of Southwest Airlines:

" Think and act big and we'll get smaller. Think and small and we'll get bigger"

Food for thought.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

Just to dispell one part of your comment, Terre Haute has its own system for producing powder.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Anonymous

Does anyone on this board actually work for Pfizer?

Facts are Facts, Exubera has been a let down in some eyes. Lets move forward. Studies are finally providing conclusive evidence that fears of decreased lung function are unfounded. Clinical trials on children are pending and if allowed, may result in Exubera being a godsend to parent with children who have to endure trying to explain to their 5 year old why they have to be stuck with a needle all the time. The next generation devices will undoubtedly be smaller are more compact (Think Asthma inhalers) than the "Bong" in use with generation 1 and it is probably a safe bet that the dosage issues will become easier due to advances with the device.

Not wanting to tread on company confidentiality, I won't give details but Terre Haute is still expanding. New machinery is still being installed and the rumors of transferring production to Mich. are unfounded. Kalamazoo has always been a part of the process and will likely stay that way. The work at Kalamazoo will continue and I am sure machinery is still needed there to align with production at Terre Haute and yes, Terre Haute has the capability of producing its own powder so it does not rely on one source.

On a different note, doesn't anyone realize that Exubera is a whole lot more than a drug? Its a new technology that will open the floodgates on development of other Pfizer medications that are currently only administered by injection. I believe the success of the process is worth more to the company than the product ever was going to be. I truly believe that the success of Exubera has already been attained in some eyes. Approved commercial use of a system that can take a liquid and safely convert it to be administered in an inhalable form. I once read somewhere that Terre Haute was being labeled by Pfizer as its Inhale production facility for the world. I think Exubera is just a piece in the proverbial puzzle for Terre Haute. The facility already has the square footage available to contain multiple product lines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: