» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads


Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Pharma/Biotech Companies > Cephalon
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cephalon Anonymous board for Cephalon

Reply

 
Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Question Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I was prescribed Provigil for complications of Lyme Disease and the $300/mo out-of-pocket cost is a real hardship. I called your patient assistance line (800 675 8415) and was told because I have insurance they cannot help me....assistance is only only for those with NO insurance. Go figure.

Can anyone suggest other options to defray my out of pocket cost?

PS I don't work for CEPH but know of these boards through a friend who suggested it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

My first suggestion is to do a prior auth with your insurance. Your provider might even be able to find out what the approvable criteria is by calling your insurance. You might fall into one of the categories, so make sure that is noted on the prior auth. If they deny it, then appeal immediately (read the fine print, you must be timely). Make sure your provider is extremely detailed in the prior auth and appeal.

In the interim, while you are waiting for the appeal, decide how much out of pocket you can afford (also what dose do you take and how often?) and supplement the rest with samples and vouchers. If your provider doesn't have vouchers, then you can print them from the Provigil website.

Also, you can call the same 800# to help you with the prior auth and appeal. Also, you may live in a state that allows external reviews.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I was prescribed Provigil for complications of Lyme Disease and the $300/mo out-of-pocket cost is a real hardship. I called your patient assistance line (800 675 8415) and was told because I have insurance they cannot help me....assistance is only only for those with NO insurance. Go figure.

Can anyone suggest other options to defray my out of pocket cost?

PS I don't work for CEPH but know of these boards through a friend who suggested it.

Thanks in advance.

Several options to explore:

1) Go hunt deer in your area as it might reduce the vector (ticks)
2) Break your pills in half which is now half the cost
3) There is a new ad that has some dim-witted judge about to use his head instead of a gavel. Maybe he can slip you a mickey in court and reduce your need for speed.
4) Samples from your doctor perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Is Provigil approved for Lyme Disease you numbnuts? No it isn't. The answer is Provigil is not approved for Lyme Disease. It is approved for treatment in Shift Work Sleep Disorder, Narcolepsy and sleep apnea.

Why are you answering someone who is obviously not receiving Provigil as indicated? I would think Cephalon has 450 million reasons to not do that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Haven't learned your lesson have you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Haven't learned your lesson have you.
come again?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

I have no insurance take Provigil for Narcolepsy and was told the patient assistance program is closed... The "voucher" to print from the internet specifically states that you can only use one and the pharmacy is strict about that. At a cost of $296 per month, it is sickening that a pharmaceutical company can charge such a high cost and then "close" the patient assistance program. So if I don't take the medication, I can't drive and will get fired for not performing well at work. If I do take the medication, I choose the pill or dinner on many occasions. Oh yeah, but as the doctor puts it, there's always disability for the rest of my life!!! Well, now there's an option.... sit home and do nothing and let the tax dollars pay my way because the fat pockets of the pharmaceutical company aren't full enough to help with a medication that allows me to work and pay my own way. hmmmm yes this is fair.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I have no insurance take Provigil for Narcolepsy and was told the patient assistance program is closed... The "voucher" to print from the internet specifically states that you can only use one and the pharmacy is strict about that. At a cost of $296 per month, it is sickening that a pharmaceutical company can charge such a high cost and then "close" the patient assistance program. So if I don't take the medication, I can't drive and will get fired for not performing well at work. If I do take the medication, I choose the pill or dinner on many occasions. Oh yeah, but as the doctor puts it, there's always disability for the rest of my life!!! Well, now there's an option.... sit home and do nothing and let the tax dollars pay my way because the fat pockets of the pharmaceutical company aren't full enough to help with a medication that allows me to work and pay my own way. hmmmm yes this is fair.
So let me get this straight. You're angry at Cephalon because they make a great product and won't give it to you absolutely free.
Do you have this sense of entitlement with every company that makes products you like?
Sony for makes an awesome 50" flat screen HDTV. Does it make you angry that they don't have a "Consumer Assistance Program?"

Ask yourself this question: What would you do if Cephalon had never created this product?

Your sense of entitlement is what is really sickening. The Patient Assistance Program is not "closed," it's out of money! We gave away millions of dollars worth of free medicine in 2008 and don't have any more left to give. Don't get angry at Cephalon, get mad at your company for not providing insurance, and for not paying you enough to buy the medicine you need out of pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
So let me get this straight. You're angry at Cephalon because they make a great product and won't give it to you absolutely free.
Do you have this sense of entitlement with every company that makes products you like?
Sony for makes an awesome 50" flat screen HDTV. Does it make you angry that they don't have a "Consumer Assistance Program?"

Ask yourself this question: What would you do if Cephalon had never created this product?

Your sense of entitlement is what is really sickening. The Patient Assistance Program is not "closed," it's out of money! We gave away millions of dollars worth of free medicine in 2008 and don't have any more left to give. Don't get angry at Cephalon, get mad at your company for not providing insurance, and for not paying you enough to buy the medicine you need out of pocket.
It's sinful that you choose to live in such ignorance... A TV is not needed to live. Cephalon is the source of my anger, and rightfully so. The same drug is available in Canada 90 pills for $170 Cephalon sells it in the US for 30 pills for $296. Yet I can't purchase it and come accross the border. With that mark up, Cephalon should never close the assistance program.
Lastly, you pathetic pig I have never asked for a damn thing from anyone and work my ass off rather than accept disability. Yes, I do deserve to have help with the one thing that gives me the ability to function. Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't be providing free medication to those who don't maintain employment.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It's sinful that you choose to live in such ignorance... A TV is not needed to live. Cephalon is the source of my anger, and rightfully so. The same drug is available in Canada 90 pills for $170 Cephalon sells it in the US for 30 pills for $296. Yet I can't purchase it and come accross the border. With that mark up, Cephalon should never close the assistance program.
Lastly, you pathetic pig I have never asked for a damn thing from anyone and work my ass off rather than accept disability. Yes, I do deserve to have help with the one thing that gives me the ability to function. Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't be providing free medication to those who don't maintain employment.
You should lay off the provigil and try getting some sleep there brother!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It's sinful that you choose to live in such ignorance... A TV is not needed to live. Cephalon is the source of my anger, and rightfully so. The same drug is available in Canada 90 pills for $170 Cephalon sells it in the US for 30 pills for $296. Yet I can't purchase it and come accross the border. With that mark up, Cephalon should never close the assistance program.
Lastly, you pathetic pig I have never asked for a damn thing from anyone and work my ass off rather than accept disability. Yes, I do deserve to have help with the one thing that gives me the ability to function. Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't be providing free medication to those who don't maintain employment.
Speaking of ignorance. Do you also get angry when you hear a 2,500 square foot house costs 250K in Indiana, but 950K in Los Angeles? Why can't they all just be the same price? It's just not fair!!

You can't say you've "never asked for a damn thing from anyone," when you're asking for free medicine right now.

If you literally need Provigil to live, I think $296 per month is a hell of a bargain. If it's the one thing that gives you the ability to function, you should be thankful that Cephalon paid all the money they did to develop it, test it, and bring it to market and make it available to you. If it's the ONLY thing that works, I'd ask my employer for a stipend to help, shop pharmacies to find the best price, and cut whatever I could out of my budget to pay for it out of pocket.

And I call bullshit on the whole, "It's medicine or food," line. No, it's not. There have got to be at least 5 other things you can cut before you have to skip a meal. Cancel cable TV and internet, that will save you about $100/month...replace your cell phone with a TracFone...carpool...replace dining out with meals at/from home...replace your car with a cheaper one or public transit...cut out smoking and alcohol. Most people who drink and smoke regularly can easily spend $300 on both each month.

Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't provide free medication to anyone. If we didn't have a PAP that was out of money, you wouldn't have anything to be angry about.

Think of it this way. I don't know where you work, but at the end of the day you provide some kind of product or service. How many of your customers that really like your product do you give it to free of charge?
If they say, "I really like this thing you made and I really need it," do you reply, "Well why didn't you say so? Here, take as many as you want, free of charge."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

I went to the supermarket a couple days ago and asked if I could have that 5 pound filet free of charge because it's the only food that makes me happy and I really need it. I could not believe it when they told me I had to pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Just last week the Federal Trade Commission launched a high-profile battle against Cephalon (CEPH), the maker of the blockbuster narcolepsy medication Provigil, over a $200 million payout it gave to four generic companies in exchange for an agreement not to develop a competing medication. In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Washington, D.C., the FTC claims that the deal violates antitrust law.

FYI- Cephalon and all you drug company reps suck shit. You are evil, you think alike, you are representative of a world that is not worth living in. I've read and reread you comments... you're correct, I have no right to ask for or expect help from anyone. Shortly, I'll finally have come to the resting place. I will no longer need to worry about staying awakke or keeping a job or wanting to do well in life. Thank you, you have helped me recognize that there is no help for me and you have put my heart at peace. You have been quite helpful. May you some day feel the peace of everlasting sleep. As I close my eyes tonight and head for my final resting place with peace in my heart and a battle over, I will pray for you and continue to be thankful that you have helped me see the light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Speaking of ignorance. Do you also get angry when you hear a 2,500 square foot house costs 250K in Indiana, but 950K in Los Angeles? Why can't they all just be the same price? It's just not fair!!

You can't say you've "never asked for a damn thing from anyone," when you're asking for free medicine right now.

If you literally need Provigil to live, I think $296 per month is a hell of a bargain. If it's the one thing that gives you the ability to function, you should be thankful that Cephalon paid all the money they did to develop it, test it, and bring it to market and make it available to you. If it's the ONLY thing that works, I'd ask my employer for a stipend to help, shop pharmacies to find the best price, and cut whatever I could out of my budget to pay for it out of pocket.

And I call bullshit on the whole, "It's medicine or food," line. No, it's not. There have got to be at least 5 other things you can cut before you have to skip a meal. Cancel cable TV and internet, that will save you about $100/month...replace your cell phone with a TracFone...carpool...replace dining out with meals at/from home...replace your car with a cheaper one or public transit...cut out smoking and alcohol. Most people who drink and smoke regularly can easily spend $300 on both each month.

Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't provide free medication to anyone. If we didn't have a PAP that was out of money, you wouldn't have anything to be angry about.

Think of it this way. I don't know where you work, but at the end of the day you provide some kind of product or service. How many of your customers that really like your product do you give it to free of charge?
If they say, "I really like this thing you made and I really need it," do you reply, "Well why didn't you say so? Here, take as many as you want, free of charge."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

OP, don't get discouraged. I was on Provigil and it was awesome for about 2 weeks. After that it "lost it's flavor" very quickly and started giving me nasty headaches.

My suggestion? Go back to your doctor and get on some sort of amphetamine. Personally, I take branded (yes BRANDED) Adderall. The co-pay isn't a big deal to me. Tell your doc that due to the high price, you would like to try a substitute (e.g. Ritalin, Adderall). It's dirt cheap if you get a generic. Technically, Provigil isn't an amphetamine, but it works in a SIMILAR fashion.

I got the pre-auths for Provigil (it was $10 for me), but amphetamines will probably help you as much if not more. It is worth a shot.

Pay no attention to these reps. It's their job to get all they can from a drug before their patent expires (as they rightfully should).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
So let me get this straight. You're angry at Cephalon because they make a great product and won't give it to you absolutely free.
Do you have this sense of entitlement with every company that makes products you like?
Sony for makes an awesome 50" flat screen HDTV. Does it make you angry that they don't have a "Consumer Assistance Program?"

Ask yourself this question: What would you do if Cephalon had never created this product?

Your sense of entitlement is what is really sickening. The Patient Assistance Program is not "closed," it's out of money! We gave away millions of dollars worth of free medicine in 2008 and don't have any more left to give. Don't get angry at Cephalon, get mad at your company for not providing insurance, and for not paying you enough to buy the medicine you need out of pocket.
You are such a fucking tool. Go fuck yourself. We all know that our PAP has always been a hoax. It was established for PR purposes and even the poorest population did not qualify based on all of the stupid criteria (compared to other programs in the industry). That is fine if we don't want to give away Provigil but we definitely shouldn't advertise/promote a bullshit Patient Assistance Program so we appear compassionate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Notworthy Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Hey dumbshit, keep taking your Adderal like candy and then stop and see what happens. It is a schedule II drug for a reason. You will build up tolerance, need more and more to get the same results, fail a drug test for employment, have to get in a treatment program to get off it. All great reasons to use. The only good that could happen is you might lose some weight, which is probably the biggest reason your fat ass has issues with excessive daytime sleepiness.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Hey dumbshit, keep taking your Adderal like candy and then stop and see what happens. It is a schedule II drug for a reason. You will build up tolerance, need more and more to get the same results, fail a drug test for employment, have to get in a treatment program to get off it. All great reasons to use. The only good that could happen is you might lose some weight, which is probably the biggest reason your fat ass has issues with excessive daytime sleepiness.
Fail a drug test? You're truly an idiot. If you're prescribed it, you can't fail because of it. So, you're saying that no tolerance is built up on Provigil? Please, you and I both know that is ia lie. Anyone with any sense or experience knows that isn't true.

Calling me a fatass? I'm the sexiest mf on the internet. Don't get mad because a consumer has chosen an alternative. Like I said, I tried Provigil, got the pre-auths and it was awesome, for a couple weeks (the euphoria kicked ass). Then the headbusters started.

Low doses of amphetamine have been prescribed for half a century with little to no long term problems. Please make sure you distinguish between amphetamine and methamphetamine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Is Provigil approved for Lyme Disease you numbnuts? No it isn't. The answer is Provigil is not approved for Lyme Disease. It is approved for treatment in Shift Work Sleep Disorder, Narcolepsy and sleep apnea.

Why are you answering someone who is obviously not receiving Provigil as indicated? I would think Cephalon has 450 million reasons to not do that.
I think maybe YOU are the ignorant one! I have multiple sclerosis and Provigil is one drug I can't go without. It is used for many chronic conditions- tithead- not just graveyard shift! Do some research before you judge people
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I think maybe YOU are the ignorant one! I have multiple sclerosis and Provigil is one drug I can't go without. It is used for many chronic conditions- tithead- not just graveyard shift! Do some research before you judge people
The Reps are aware that Provigil is written off of indication. We are not aloud to discuss MS Fatigue or any of the many other "off-indication" areas that are not FDA-approved, and therefore not covered by insurance at this time. We are presently conducting clinical trials and working with the FDA to obtain further indications which will therefore allow for better insurance coverage. It is extremely costly to conduct these trials, in which they are paid for by the sale of our present drugs. I hope for your sake they will be approved sooner than later.

Cephalon now offers a Patient Assistance Program for "Nuvigil", the new, longer-lasting isomer of Provigil. We no longer are promoting Provigil and therefore don't have a Patient Assistance Program. I've typed (hopefully correctly the link to our new Patient Assistance Program:

http://cephalon.com/patients/cephalo...tance-program/

I wish you the best and hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

once again managed care companies are dictating physicians therapeutic choices and raking in the money hand over fist. maybe the FDA should be scrutinizing MCOs as much as they do the pharma companies
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 AM
millercassy millercassy is offline
cafepharma newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

That's a common problem. I don't understand why some doctors prescribe medication that is not approved for a certain disease. Then the patient has to pay a lot although he's insured. A few years ago a doc advised my mother to buy Avil and she also had to pay the full price. Sometimes I really ask myself if medical insurance really makes sense ...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Is there a generic for promius pharma cream?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

I would suggest trying the 50mg Nuvigil tablet - it runs around $2.50 a tab vs 8-9 for the 150mg
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

so what would you suggest for a law student who is unable to get the medication because the PAP doesn't work if you have health insurance, and the health insurance I have has a price cap so the copay escalated from $55 to $125 to $345 over a three month period. I didn't take the medication from January- August b/c when I graduated from undergrad my mother's insurance dropped me and I couldn't get any on my own b/c I have a pre-existing condition. So at 24, I threw up for seven months straight b/c of the massive amounts of caffiene I had to consume just to get to and from work safely and be able to function while I was there. I am about to take finals, in law school you only get to take one, but I couldn't afford the $345 for my meds. I can barely stay awake for class and have informed all of my professors if I walk out it's b/c I couldn't keep my head up, not b/c I despise the law. so what would suggest someone in my shoes do. I have tried the nuvigil, it wasn't as effective. It was as if I only took half a provigil.

this is something that affects me consistently and is very dangerous. falling asleep driving, falling asleep taking tests/exams, and I never know I'm sleeping until I "blink" and my sorroundings are different, or the page I just wrote two paragraphs on is blank, or I'm driving 120 mph and closing in another vehicle at 10 am.

I don't expect free medicine, but for something that I pretty much need to survive, to pursue my dreams, I expect to be able to pay for it. At this rate, I'm going to have to drop out of law school so that I can try and get a job that will offer health insurance without such a small prescription cap, $500. Then I will have to fight with the whole pre-existing condition thing all over again. So great minds of Cephalon, what assistance would you provide or suggest for someone in my situation b/c it's getting pretty bad.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
so what would you suggest for a law student who is unable to get the medication because the PAP doesn't work if you have health insurance, and the health insurance I have has a price cap so the copay escalated from $55 to $125 to $345 over a three month period. I didn't take the medication from January- August b/c when I graduated from undergrad my mother's insurance dropped me and I couldn't get any on my own b/c I have a pre-existing condition. So at 24, I threw up for seven months straight b/c of the massive amounts of caffiene I had to consume just to get to and from work safely and be able to function while I was there. I am about to take finals, in law school you only get to take one, but I couldn't afford the $345 for my meds. I can barely stay awake for class and have informed all of my professors if I walk out it's b/c I couldn't keep my head up, not b/c I despise the law. so what would suggest someone in my shoes do. I have tried the nuvigil, it wasn't as effective. It was as if I only took half a provigil.

this is something that affects me consistently and is very dangerous. falling asleep driving, falling asleep taking tests/exams, and I never know I'm sleeping until I "blink" and my sorroundings are different, or the page I just wrote two paragraphs on is blank, or I'm driving 120 mph and closing in another vehicle at 10 am.

I don't expect free medicine, but for something that I pretty much need to survive, to pursue my dreams, I expect to be able to pay for it. At this rate, I'm going to have to drop out of law school so that I can try and get a job that will offer health insurance without such a small prescription cap, $500. Then I will have to fight with the whole pre-existing condition thing all over again. So great minds of Cephalon, what assistance would you provide or suggest for someone in my situation b/c it's getting pretty bad.
Reps presently have vouchers for FREE 30-days of Nuvigil. Ask your dr if he/she has them and if not, have the dr ask their Rep for some! You can actually use a voucher each month, unless you live in Mass. Ignore what the voucher says on the back and have your pharmacist run it through.

If that doesn't work, (it should if your dr sees reps), go on the website Xubex.com. It's a mail order website that will also give you Nuvigil 150mg for FREE for 30 days. Unfortunately they offer just the 150mg, not 250mg. They would like to have refills, that's how they make their money, but you don't have to go through them for your refills. Just have your dr write a RX for 30 days, no refills on one RX and fax/mail it in. They will send you 30 days for free! (paid for by Cephalon)

If none of that works, make sure your dr gives you a "Co-pay savings card". You will pay the first $10. of your co-pay, and the next $50. is paid for by the company for the next year.

You will not be able to get any coupons with Provigil, period. Nuvigil is the longer-lasting isomer of Provigil. It can't be less effective than Provigil if it is dosed correctly. Have your doctor give you a RX for 250mg.

I hope that helps and good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

This interested me (I have idiopathic hypersomnia) because I will be attending law school in the fall and am looking into insurance options. I can be on my father's insurance, paying a high premium, but it will only take me about halfway through law school and it doesn't seem like it is going to go away. I am looking into other options for health insurance- I have heard the ABA has one that is better than the 'hit by a bus' insurance (as my dr. called it).

I've taken provigil for the past 2 years, and it has allowed me to live my life. I have recently needed higher dosage though, so my doctor suggested I try nuvigil. It seems to work the same as provigil, and is a lot cheaper. I would definitely suggest checking out nuvigil.
Regarding side effects, I'm kind of a grin and bear it person, but on provigil I developed a lot of acne (which wasn't cleared up by any of the things the dermatologist put me on), headaches, problems waking up in the morning, and would typically crash mid-afternoon. I only recently started on nuvigil, but I've had some dry mouth/thirst etc., no notable headaches or crash (though I seem to still need a second dose of either provig. or nuvigil to get me through the day).

Would be interested in hearing more about your adventures in law school with hypersomnia while I'm trying to prepare for next year!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Speaking of ignorance. Do you also get angry when you hear a 2,500 square foot house costs 250K in Indiana, but 950K in Los Angeles? Why can't they all just be the same price? It's just not fair!!

You can't say you've "never asked for a damn thing from anyone," when you're asking for free medicine right now.

If you literally need Provigil to live, I think $296 per month is a hell of a bargain. If it's the one thing that gives you the ability to function, you should be thankful that Cephalon paid all the money they did to develop it, test it, and bring it to market and make it available to you. If it's the ONLY thing that works, I'd ask my employer for a stipend to help, shop pharmacies to find the best price, and cut whatever I could out of my budget to pay for it out of pocket.

And I call bullshit on the whole, "It's medicine or food," line. No, it's not. There have got to be at least 5 other things you can cut before you have to skip a meal. Cancel cable TV and internet, that will save you about $100/month...replace your cell phone with a TracFone...carpool...replace dining out with meals at/from home...replace your car with a cheaper one or public transit...cut out smoking and alcohol. Most people who drink and smoke regularly can easily spend $300 on both each month.

Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't provide free medication to anyone. If we didn't have a PAP that was out of money, you wouldn't have anything to be angry about.

Think of it this way. I don't know where you work, but at the end of the day you provide some kind of product or service. How many of your customers that really like your product do you give it to free of charge?
If they say, "I really like this thing you made and I really need it," do you reply, "Well why didn't you say so? Here, take as many as you want, free of charge."
Apparently you have never had to take something just so you don't fall asleep at a red light or can fall asleep while just standing!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Nervous Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

I came on here to get some information about a medicine and actually got a much needed laugh by the slam fest this thread has turned into! Hahahahahaha, I just wish we could all chill out and there wasn't such a disparity between the cost of living and wages. Oh well, guess King Jesus will fix it all eventually!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

The OP asked the question in '08. It is now '11 and the price for Provigil at my WalMart if $800.00 month. I take 1/4 a day because it's all I can afford. I have sleep apnea and I am having a sleep study done. That will lower the price greatly. It is scary when you have to pull over on the side of the road so you don't run into someone. I can't stay awake no matter how much sleep I get. The Provigil is beneficial for many things, among them clearer thinking. Too bad its so expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Is Provigil approved for Lyme Disease you numbnuts? No it isn't. The answer is Provigil is not approved for Lyme Disease. It is approved for treatment in Shift Work Sleep Disorder, Narcolepsy and sleep apnea.

Why are you answering someone who is obviously not receiving Provigil as indicated? I would think Cephalon has 450 million reasons to not do that.
If doctors only used meds for what they were truly approved for half of the drugs would be pulled of the market dumb a**.
The person was asking a simple questions and doesn't need your Smart A** answers for something the doctor gave them to help.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Apparently you have never had to take something just so you don't fall asleep at a red light or can fall asleep while just standing!!!
I agree, Go find another thread to post in. Or many justice will slap you in the face one day and you will be in the boat of having to take medication that is out of reach for you financially.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

My monthly insurance co-pay is 25% of the cost of my Provigil prescription. My insurance company just informed me that my monthly co-pay was increasing to $627 a month. The pharmacist was so staggered that she called the insurance company to verify that there was no mistake. No mistake, the insurance company said. However, they'd cut a deal with Cephalon so they could offer Nuvigil for much, much less. What does a board-certified neurologist know about prescribing? Cephalon knows what his patients need.

I hope the feds finally wise up at throw the book at Cephalon. They've over-played their hand.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
My monthly insurance co-pay is 25% of the cost of my Provigil prescription. My insurance company just informed me that my monthly co-pay was increasing to $627 a month. The pharmacist was so staggered that she called the insurance company to verify that there was no mistake. No mistake, the insurance company said. However, they'd cut a deal with Cephalon so they could offer Nuvigil for much, much less. What does a board-certified neurologist know about prescribing? Cephalon knows what his patients need.

I hope the feds finally wise up at throw the book at Cephalon. They've over-played their hand.
NEWSFLASH!

Cephalon doesn't exist, and Provigil is no longer promoted.

Have a nice day and thank you for calling Teva.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Banghead Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Rian J Stockbower
Archive for the ‘Provigil’ tag
Profit maximization in pharmaceuticals

0 Comments and 0 Reactions

From a microeconomics exam recently. The source article is "How a Drug Maker Tries to Outwit Generics" from the WSJ. (If that link doesn't work, here is a PDF of the fulltext.)

Describe the nature of demand for Provigil. How much market power is there and why? If Cephalon raised the price of Provigil by 74%, with no apparent increase in production costs, does that mean that Cephalon was not initially pricing to maximize profits from Provigil? By raising the price, are they now profit-maximizing? Discuss. How would you expect the introduction of generics to affect the demand for Provigil? The price of Provigil has been raised before Nuvigil is launched. Discuss how the demand for Nuvigil would have been affected if the price of Provigil was not increased. Evaluate Cephalon's strategy as a means of achieving its goal of corporate profit maximization.

Provigil is in extremely high demand; the trouble is that it is expensive, and it is almost never covered by people's insurance. Right now, the average wholesale price (AWP) for 30 count of Provigil 200mg is $361. Provigil is also in an interesting place in terms of patent protection. It's not a new drug, and through manipulating pharmaceutical patent law, Cephalon (who acquired the IP for the drug when they bought out Lafon) has been able to extend the life of the patent two or three times.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Provigil Patient Assistance Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It's sinful that you choose to live in such ignorance... A TV is not needed to live. Cephalon is the source of my anger, and rightfully so. The same drug is available in Canada 90 pills for $170 Cephalon sells it in the US for 30 pills for $296. Yet I can't purchase it and come accross the border. With that mark up, Cephalon should never close the assistance program.
Lastly, you pathetic pig I have never asked for a damn thing from anyone and work my ass off rather than accept disability. Yes, I do deserve to have help with the one thing that gives me the ability to function. Perhaps Cephalon shouldn't be providing free medication to those who don't maintain employment.

Thankfully my insurance will cover pro vigil but yes I don't care how good of a product cephalon created -- it shouldn't cost us taxpayers anything to get a medicine that will give us a somewhat normal life. And yes you definitely do deserve help to have this medicine. People shouldn't have to choose between eating and a "life sustaining"medication. Without this pill I couldn't do a lot of things. Sure we can wait till we get fired and suck off the system but sadly narcolepsy isn't really considered as a disability when applying for social security disability.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.