» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > General Discussion > Job-Seekers
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Anonymous

Default Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

I've been in real estate for the last 7 years; I have a brag book documenting my success, last 6 years of W-2's showing well over 100k in earnings per year, I should have my Napsrx cert done within a month and I'm only 20 units away from graduation with an overall GPA of 3.67. I'm in my early 30's, is it a mistake trying to break into Pharma sales?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Do not list the NAPSRX on your resume. Your judgement will be questioned.

If you are making over 100k a year in real estate, be prepared for a paycut.

Majority of pharma reps make total about 85k. That's with bonus.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Anonymous

You'd be an absolute fool to think getting into pharma is going to advance your career. I would see virtually no benefit for you to change positions. 1) you're already too old to start at the bottom of pharma 2) you won't make that kind of money for several years---if ever, depending on what kind of suck up promotions and relocations you are willing to do 3) you'd probably have to start out with one of the crummy companies, put up with a whole lot of bs and eventually work your way up 4) depending on where you live, your options are becoming more and more limited daily with major companies making cut backs and layoffs.

Much of the industry is in a downward spiral right now and likely will be for several years. I don't have any idea why you would leave a successful career for a shot in the dark at some stereotype you had about pharma a few years ago. Believe me, I know very well. I made this my career, gave it a full commitment, have been at the top of every district and made more than my share of commission. Now I wish to the heavens I had some other kind of training for a job with some security and satisfaction that my hard work was somehow appreciated. People will always buy real estate, but unless you're willing to up your family and move all over the US for a job making less and less money with less satisfaction and more grief----stay where you are and quit paying for ridiculous "education."
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
cafepharma addict

From the money point of view, I would have to agree with the others on this one. It seems that you are very successful in your career already so why would you want to leave it unless there's something in real estate that you just can't stand anymore.

Have you researched pharma enough to decide whether that field is definitely better for you compared to real estate? Having said that, some people do move into pharma sales with the intention of becoming a marketing or sales manager someday but that route does take some time.

One thing you also probably should ask yourself is if your current job in real estate is not working for you, is there a similar area you can explore but still stay within the real estate umbrella?

Whatever your decision, just make sure that you do your research so that you have a pretty good idea of what pharma people do on a day to day basis before jumping in. And you can get that idea best by shadowing a few reps.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

I was just hired by Eli Lilly after I completed the CNPR Program. It really did work for me. Eli Lilly definetly utilizes the NAPSRX as the District Mgr. who interviewed me, explained he received my resume through the Career Center.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I was just hired by Eli Lilly after I completed the CNPR Program. It really did work for me. Eli Lilly definetly utilizes the NAPSRX as the District Mgr. who interviewed me, explained he received my resume through the Career Center.
Yeah, okay NAPSR employee. A 5th grader could write better than the people at NAPSR. NAPSR ripped off other authors. There were numerous typos in the manual. I have a friend who is an RBD for Lilly and he said a NAPSR certification is a joke, and as another poster mentioned, makes one question the job candidate's judgment. There are other threads that bash the integrity of a NAPSR certification if you care to see them. I purchased the manual and certification against my better judgment, yet I still made it into pharma without that nonsense on my resume. You are a moron to proudly put that sh*t on your resume.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Anonymous

The above comment is obviously not correct:
http://www.prwebdirect.com/releases/...rweb214341.htm

Washington DC (PRWEB via PRWebDirect) March 2, 2005 -- The National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives is happy to announce a 1 year recruitment advertising agreement with Eli Lilly. Eli Lilly’s goal is to become the premier sales force in the pharmaceutical industry. They are looking for diverse and dynamic professionals who want to be a part of a winning team and to make a difference in people's lives.

Eli Lilly joins a long list of Pharmaceutical companies who have supported the NAPSR when they look to add to their sales force. (Past advertisers include: Schering-Plough, Andrx Laboratories, BIOGEN, Sanofi-Synthelabo, plus many more) If your company needs help in recruiting, education, or training please email the association at questions@napsronline.org.

The NAPSR’s Advisory Board and professional trainers have gained valuable experience from companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Pfizer, Aventis, Abbot Laboratories, Forest Pharmaceuticals, Wyeth, TAP, Bausch & Lomb, Johnson & Johnson amongst many other major pharmaceutical companies. This expertise allows the NAPSR™ to monitor, train and educate successfully.

The NAPSR™ has been highly recommended to the many individuals who are looking to break into the Pharmaceutical Sales industry as well as for advancing the careers of current pharmaceutical reps. If you are looking to gain entry into the industry, please review the areas of the website geared to entry-level sales. If you have any questions just email us at questions@napsronline.org.

The National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives™ represents experienced and entry-level sales rep nationally. The certification (CNPR™) is a pharmaceutical sales certification program which is heavily marketed to the pharmaceutical industry. You can find information about the NAPSR every month in Pharmaceutical Representative magazine, which is circulated to over 90,000 current pharmaceutical representatives and managers. The CNPR™ examination and the NAPSR™’s Training Manual was compiled by surveying the pharmaceutical industry and its members.

The NAPSR offers online education for individuals who look to gain entry into a career in pharmaceutical sales. The NAPSR’s education course is designed to provide the workforce skills necessary to acquire professional caliber positions in the pharmaceutical industry. The NAPSR program will be offered through over 200 colleges and universities this fall (schools include: Ohio State University, University of Texas, Rutgers University, Indiana University, Colorado State University, plus hundreds more!!) However, you can take advantage of the course now by ordering directly through the NAPSR. For more information you can visit the NAPSR website at www.napsronline.org.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Gatlin Education

USA TODAY July 2008

Developed in response to a rising demand for trained entry level pharmaceutical sales representatives, the NAPSR nationally recognized online certification and CNPR sales training program will provide individuals with the tools to gain entry-level jobs in the industry. Upon registering for the course, students will automatically gain membership with NAPSR and will become eligible to sit for the CNPR national certification exam at no additional cost.

"There is a great demand for pharmaceutical sales reps, which means there is an equal need for solid training devices," said Stephen Gatlin. "In short order, this program will become one of our most popular offerings. Pharmaceutical sales can be a very rewarding career, and the first step toward realizing that is completing the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales course."

When pharmaceutical sales applicants lack a formal pharmacology and medical education, the program can ready them for a long and successful career by imparting information regarding general medical terminology, clinical pharmacology, managed care, drug sampling rules, effective selling techniques and more.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Anonymous

Why not, you will get a company car and benefits that you aren't getting in R/E. You can still sell R/E on the side once you get going with your job in pharma.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Rockpointe CME employee

NEWS ALERT: from Pharmaceutical Representative Magazine - August 2008 page 11.

New PhRMA provisions will directly impact pharmaceutical rep training. All new pharmaceutical reps must be sufficiently trained about laws, regulations and industry codes of practice that govern interactions with healthcare professionals, according to the revised code. PhRMA suggests that companies assess reps periodically about the new standards of conduct and take actions against reps who do not meet the quidelines.

PhRMA also is asking pharmaceutical CEOs and compliance officers to certify each year that have processes in place to comply with the code of conduct. PhRMA suggests that pharmaceutical companies use companies like the NAPSR to verify that they have processes in place.

Within hours of the announcement Johnson & Johnson announced that it would follow the new guidelines and other pharma companies are expected to follow suit.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Jil

I want to thank the NAPRx for helping me with my pursuit of a pharmaceutical sales career. The CNPR training was just what I was looking for and certainly was the deciding factor in my interviews. I interviewed with NOVARTIS, GSK, Forest and AstraZeneca and just accepted a position with Forest. I know this would not have happened if I had not completed the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales training offered by the NAPRx. Thanks again for helping me break into pharmaceutical sales.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jil View Post
I want to thank the NAPRx for helping me with my pursuit of a pharmaceutical sales career. The CNPR training was just what I was looking for and certainly was the deciding factor in my interviews. I interviewed with NOVARTIS, GSK, Forest and AstraZeneca and just accepted a position with Forest. I know this would not have happened if I had not completed the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales training offered by the NAPRx. Thanks again for helping me break into pharmaceutical sales.
I am looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. I was advised to get my CNPR Certification. I know that my alumni university (University of Alabama) offers the CNPR Certification program. Should I take the pharmaceutical sales training at the university or by correspondence?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Anonymous

Pharma sales suck. Don't waste your time or money taking these crap courses. Look for another career.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Anonymous

U.S. News examined the Labor Department's brand-new job growth projections for 2009 to 2018. As the baby boomer generation ages, the healthcare industry will continue to offer some of the best opportunities for employment especially in the pharmaceutical industry. A pharmaceutical sales career certainly makes a lot of common sense, since not everyone wants to be a nurse or a doctor, U.S. News looked for occupations in a broad range of categories. And since not everyone can go back to school for a doctorate, a pharmaceutical sales career can be achieved with sales ability, a CNPR Certification which includes pharmacology and industry training.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Anonymous

Grumble Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

You need to ride along with two or three reps so you can see how boring this job has become over the past few years. I tried it for a couple of years and could not stand it. You will lose your self-worth very fast in this industry!!!!!!!!! (That is.... if you currently take pride in what you do now.)
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Anonymous

This is what I found out:

CNPR® Certification helps applicants qualify for a pharmaceutical sales career:

CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Certification is the college accredited healthcare industry assurance that an individual has met rigorous, peer-developed and reviewed standards endorsed by a national professional body -- National Association of Pharmaceutical Representatives®.
Employers welcome and respect CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training offered by the association as well as at over 300 universities/colleges nationwide.
The NAPRx® can be used as a third party to verify the credentials of pharmaceutical sales professional to promote ethical regulatory and compliance guidelines which have recently been modified.
CNPR® Certification (Entry Level- Pharmaceutical Sales Training) is important for internal professional recognition, external verification, and accountability for applicants looking to enter the very technical and scientific industry of pharmaceutical sales.
The CNPR® program is the only accredited vocational pharmaceutical sales training course in the United States which is dedicated to helping those enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.

The CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training program was initiated to:

Provide pharmaceutical sales education to individuals who are seeking a professional career in the pharmaceutical industry.
Address the professional advancement needs of applicants already established as professionals but not in the pharmaceutical industry.
Establish benchmarks of scientific qualifications required to interview and enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.
Provide a recognizable mark of excellence for candidates interviewing with pharmaceutical companies.

The CNPR® program details include:

Correspondence training which is self-paced but educates students on the pharmaceutical product knowledge required by pharmaceutical sales companies, provides knowledge on rules & regulations for selling pharmacology products.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Anonymous

Yeah, making over $100k a year and working 10am - 3pm M - TH sounds tough and boring.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Anonymous

About how long do the CNPR classes take to complete?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
cafepharma newbie

Quote:
I've been in real estate for the last 7 years; I have a brag book documenting my success, last 6 years of W-2's showing well over 100k in earnings per year, I should have my Napsrx cert done within a month and I'm only 20 units away from graduation with an overall GPA of 3.67. I'm in my early 30's, is it a mistake trying to break into Pharma sales?
I noticed this posting is from a couple years ago....did you get into pharma? Did you take the certification? Curious since I am looking to go from cosmetic surgery sales to pharma sales. There are a lot of mixed reviews. Any helpful info is appreciated!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You need to ride along with two or three reps so you can see how boring this job has become over the past few years. I tried it for a couple of years and could not stand it. You will lose your self-worth very fast in this industry!!!!!!!!! (That is.... if you currently take pride in what you do now.)
Good idea to ride with someone - better yet, as the hiring manager if you can ride with one of his/her reps during one of the ride-alongs. Then you'll get a REAL view of what we go through.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Good idea to ride with someone - better yet, ask the hiring manager if you can ride with one of his/her reps during one of the ride-alongs. Then you'll get a REAL view of what we go through.
Ditto.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Anonymous

I can tell you from my experience that the CNPR Certification was a major factor in my hiring in at Warner Chilcott. I was a sales rep in the financial industry with no knowledge of pharmaceutical and the medical industry. I took the CNPR Certification because I generally wanted to get introduced to a career in pharmaceutical sales since I had no prior knowledge.

When I put the certification on my resume and sent it out a 2nd time (1st time without it) I started getting called for interviews. I finally completed several interviews with Warner Chilcott where I was offered a pharmaceutical sales position. Later I thanked the HR person who first called me and she mentioned that she called initially because I possessed the industry knowledge and a CNPR Certification. So there you go, I would recommend Warner Chilcott to anyone--great company!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Anonymous

I just asked 3 recruiters over the last week of the best way to break into pharmaceutical sales was. All of them mentioned the CNPR Certification. It is a college accredited and a federal certification mark that provides vocational training that the pharamaceutical companies want and demand.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Anonymous

More recent CNPR Certified graduates looking for pharmaceutical sales jobs have found them, thanks to the NAPRx’s new partnership with JOBTARGET career service division. JobTarget is quickly becoming the world's leading career site services company. Since 2001, when they signed on their first partner, they have added nearly 1,000 career sites to their network. JobTarget’s partner retention rate is more than 99%, and all their products and services are backed by a five-star customer service guarantee.

"In the past few months we've had hundreds of students graduate from the pharmaceutical industry vocational CNPR Certification course. A good portion of our students already have founds jobs in pharmaceutical sales or healthcare sales, but some are still interviewing and looking for work.. All of JOBTARGET's career services are at no cost to our CNPR Certified applicants," shared the National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives –CNPR Certification Coordinator, Brad Sullivan.

For Bill Stapes, a former sales rep in consumer goods, “I took the CNPR Certification program and passed the CNPR Certification exam. By applying for pharmaceutical sales jobs I found on the NAPRx Career Center I set up two pharmaceutical sales job interviews that resulted in a job offer.”

"The NAPRx and the CNPR Certification provided me with the training and access to pharmaceutical sales jobs that I never would have had without their assistance. It's incredible to wake up every morning and be excited about going to work," explained Stapes.

Dan Bemis, a recruiter with Healthcare Recruiters, sends 100% of his entry level applicants to the NAPRx for pharmaceutical sales training and CNPR Certification. . His clients have hired two recent CNPR Certified graduates and has another client who plans to hire two more by the end of this week.

"The CNPR Certification program and testing provides the crucial industry regulations and pharmaceutical knowledge required to work as a pharmaceutical rep and we look for CNPR Certified grads when our clients hire." says Bemis. "The CNPR Certification certainly trains applicants on how to perform and communicate pharmaceutical products effectively to physicians but it also acts as a pre-screen for potential job candidates. The CNPR Certification also takes a lot of the legwork out of the new hire process, which is a huge benefit to our company - it's the best of both worlds."
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I just asked 3 recruiters over the last week of the best way to break into pharmaceutical sales was. All of them mentioned the CNPR Certification. It is a college accredited and a federal certification mark that provides vocational training that the pharamaceutical companies want and demand.
With the growing demands to present up to date clinical research and drug efficacy to physicians by the pharmaceutical reps it is extremely important for entry level applicants to get Certified and educated about the industry. It can be easy to be overtaken by fear and trembling if you do not know our industry and the pharmacodynamics behind the products or the biostatistics. Thanks to NAPRx, the CNPR Certification is up to the challenge of properly training and qualifying individuals for a career in the industry. They made the training process actually enjoyable; but more importantly, a real learning experience.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Anonymous

The CNPR Certification is the reason that I am working in pharmaceutical sales right now.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Anonymous

CNPR, AIMS/Medical College, NAMSR/RMSR: all a waste of time and money. Do your homework before spending your money on these.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Anonymous

I am looking to obtain the CNPR Certification and it is offered here at the University of Alabama but also by correspondence through the association. Should I pay the extra $ and take the certification at the university? I have been told by a company that I need to get the certification with its industry training to qualify for open pharmaceutical sales positions.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
This is what I found out:

CNPR® Certification helps applicants qualify for a pharmaceutical sales career:

CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Certification is the college accredited healthcare industry assurance that an individual has met rigorous, peer-developed and reviewed standards endorsed by a national professional body -- National Association of Pharmaceutical Representatives®.
Employers welcome and respect CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training offered by the association as well as at over 300 universities/colleges nationwide.
The NAPRx® can be used as a third party to verify the credentials of pharmaceutical sales professional to promote ethical regulatory and compliance guidelines which have recently been modified.
CNPR® Certification (Entry Level- Pharmaceutical Sales Training) is important for internal professional recognition, external verification, and accountability for applicants looking to enter the very technical and scientific industry of pharmaceutical sales.
The CNPR® program is the only accredited vocational pharmaceutical sales training course in the United States which is dedicated to helping those enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.

The CNPR® Pharmaceutical Sales Training program was initiated to:

Provide pharmaceutical sales education to individuals who are seeking a professional career in the pharmaceutical industry.
Address the professional advancement needs of applicants already established as professionals but not in the pharmaceutical industry.
Establish benchmarks of scientific qualifications required to interview and enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.
Provide a recognizable mark of excellence for candidates interviewing with pharmaceutical companies.

The CNPR® program details include:

Correspondence training which is self-paced but educates students on the pharmaceutical product knowledge required by pharmaceutical sales companies, provides knowledge on rules & regulations for selling pharmacology products.
College or correspondence? That is my question as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
U.S. News examined the Labor Department's brand-new job growth projections for 2009 to 2018. As the baby boomer generation ages, the healthcare industry will continue to offer some of the best opportunities for employment especially in the pharmaceutical industry. A pharmaceutical sales career certainly makes a lot of common sense, since not everyone wants to be a nurse or a doctor, U.S. News looked for occupations in a broad range of categories. And since not everyone can go back to school for a doctorate, a pharmaceutical sales career can be achieved with sales ability, a CNPR Certification which includes pharmacology and industry training.
Waner Chilcott is hiring. I recommend to all those looking to get into pharmaceutical sales to apply today. Check it out at http://www.wcrx.com/careers.jsp
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Anonymous

Notworthy Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jil View Post
Go to Astellas and apply as well. They are hiring hundreds of reps for pharmaceutical sales http://www.astellas.us/careers/opportunities/
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Anonymous

The CNPR Certification is a good investment. For me, the CNPR certification program was and is an absolute success for the mutual benefit for the pharmaceutical sales applicants and for the pharmaceutical employer. It's a great opportunity for and entry level applicant to develop themselves with pharmacology and vocational industry training and an excellent
benefit for the company because they get trained new hires.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Anonymous

I read in one of the earlier post that a person was wanting to leave real estate to start a career as a pharm sales rep and that they were in their early 30s - a reply said that they were too old to get started in this career. It takes forever to make any money.
Iam in my 40s looking to re-enter the work force thought pharm sales rep might work - Is it true -- 40's to old to start out in this business and have a really successful career?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Anonymous

I am taking the time to write because I wanted to inform everyone that I have found a position as a pharmaceutical sales rep and wanted to thank the NAPRx publicly after reading some of these bogus or negative blogs. The job is with Forest Pharmaceuticals in the Saint Louis area. I am glad to say that I got the job based on my knowledge of the pharmaceutical sales industry which I received with my CNPR Certification! So because of the NAPRx and of course with my sales ability and "to be somewhat modest" -- excellent interviewing skills I now love my new job.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Anonymous

I think you might be making a mistake. Just because it's pharma doesn't make it any better than any other sales job, you're still selling stuff, just to doctors vs. families, or business men. Real Estate seems to be a better gig, my reasons; not a ton of red tape, no quotas that you need to hit to keep your job, just a personal quota so you can live, No contracts to get your product in, used and sold. Think about what you want to do, and why you want to do it, don't do it to say your a pharm rep or device rep like so many do for their made up egos.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Anonymous

U.S. CERTIFICATION BOARD - Certification and vocational training programs can only qualify individuals for careers in their prospective industries. Such accredited healthcare certifications as listed above cannot guarantee employment. Certification programs will only match candidates to meet job requirements and qualify them for interviews. Vocational healthcare certification programs at best only employ 70% of their graduates. Graduates from such programs must interview for all positions and possess other personal skills not taught in the educational course, such as: communication skills, professional image, self-motivation, work ethic, etc. If you are considering such a healthcare industry certification program understand that at best you will only qualify for interviews. Certified applicants typically must succeed through a multiple interview process. If you have questions you can contact the U.S. Certification review board.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Anonymous

I just talked to my freind who is a pharmaceutical sales rep and he mentioned that the company who hires me will do some training but to better qualify for pharmaceutical sales interviews obtaining a CNPR Certification is important. I am looking at a college near me in Pennsylvania but also considering taking the CNPR course by correspondence. Is anyone aware if it is better to take the CNPR Certification at a university? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Quote:
I just talked to my freind who is a pharmaceutical sales rep and he mentioned that the company who hires me will do some training but to better qualify for pharmaceutical sales interviews obtaining a CNPR Certification is important. I am looking at a college near me in Pennsylvania but also considering taking the CNPR course by correspondence. Is anyone aware if it is better to take the CNPR Certification at a university? Any insight would be appreciated.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Anonymous

Smile Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Man, there are a lot of bitter pharma people on this site. I'm a hiring manager and there ARE still good jobs out there, but unlike all you complainers - one just has to work for it. If anyone still has the drive to make something happen in their lives, I have an old friend I used to work with that owns a company that helps to educate and connect people within the industry who are looking to either get in or move up. MedicalRepInsight.com is something worth looking into. Quit being such haters and be glad you have jobs...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Anthony Patel

Paranoid Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

You seem like a very bitter soul....so who fired you?
...or is it the attitude that keeps you from getting hired?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Please do not go into pharma sales. It is mind numbing.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Anonymous

There are alot of companies that are out there hiring. Yea, they did go through alot of restructuring based on changes in regulation, but pharma repping is still pretty lucrative. Just gotta get the right training to be successful. I found a pretty good job board at www.napsronline.org if that helps.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Thomas Berns

I agree. I took the CNPR Ceritification and it was definately a help in finding a position. Kinda sucks that NAPRx doesnt do placement (not sure why) but I did find the actual position I was hired in on the NAPRx job board. Always good to be employed!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Jocob Turner

Question Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

SO......how hard is the CNPR Certification? Seriously. Is it alot of chemistry and math or what? ALSO Is it better to do it at a college/university or online?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Anonymous

The CNPR will just make you qualified for a pharmaceutical sales career. Most companies do look for the CNPR Certification from applicants but you must still interview well to get a job offer. It really does not matter if you take the CNPR at a college or not. The pharma companies will just ask for you CNPR # and they do verify it. Most colleges do offer the CNPR but some still do it online as well. I have heard that you can substitute a CphT if you have that.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Anonymous

Party Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

I am studying the CNPR coursework now. I also ran into someone else on my campus that had the textbook etc....got me thinking sooo... my question is, how many reps are there per company AND per territory, and can anyone weigh in on how much they make in year 1?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Anonymous

Right now there are over 85,000 pharmaceutical sales reps in the U.S. Certainly companies will hire new sales reps when a new drug is being launched or if a patent is expiring and they try to promote the pharmacology value over a generic substitute. As per other healthcare fields the pharmaceutical industry continues to remain strong with stable hiring. Pharmaceutical sales reps also are one of the highest paid of all sales industries. Most reps will make over $100k annually.

It is recommended by pharmaceutical companies to gain industry knowledge before applying. Some of the posts above are not correct as industry knowledge and training is helpful and a pre-requisite for most companies. It does not make sense that industry vocational training would ever be viewed in negative way. The basic 2 attributes that company seek from applicants is sales ability and pharmacology industry knowledge. Certification to break into the field is available but make sure that the program you take is also available at colleges or universities. Looking to enter a career in the pharmaceutical industry is certainly a wise choice. Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Anonymous

Medical Sales College is the only way to go! Go MSC!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Anonymous

Exclamation Re: Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Quote:
Right now there are over 85,000 pharmaceutical sales reps in the U.S. Certainly companies will hire new sales reps when a new drug is being launched or if a patent is expiring and they try to promote the pharmacology value over a generic substitute. As per other healthcare fields the pharmaceutical industry continues to remain strong with stable hiring. Pharmaceutical sales reps also are one of the highest paid of all sales industries. Most reps will make over $100k annually.

It is recommended by pharmaceutical companies to gain industry knowledge before applying. Some of the posts above are not correct as industry knowledge and training is helpful and a pre-requisite for most companies. It does not make sense that industry vocational training would ever be viewed in negative way. The basic 2 attributes that company seek from applicants is sales ability and pharmacology industry knowledge. Certification to break into the field is available but make sure that the program you take is also available at colleges or universities. Looking to enter a career in the pharmaceutical industry is certainly a wise choice. Best of luck.
Disagree. As a rep who has been through several major companies in the last 10 years I will say it is a harardous road and especially now. Massive layoffs continue as major firms layoff highly educated and trained people in favor of the low paid contract work reps...Contractors are much lower trained and much lower paid and do not have the benefits in line with the major firms....It is a trend and will continue. Right now patents are expiring and new approvals are hard to get so less products are coming out......a good sales area people are turning to is IT that's technology and computer related hadware and software sales........many thousands of highly qualified pharma reps with the track record advanced degrees and and sales data to support their achievements are looking for jobs...and less and less new opportunities exist.........IT is one area many are looking into...pharma is not what it was 5 years ago....ps forget the "certification" I have never met anyone who had that in any job....and the 100K was possible after about a decade to 15 years of pharma experience, never early on......
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Anonymous

Clearly, this thread is nothing more than an advertisement for certification or sales training.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: