Amgen Director and Sexual Misconduct ...

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Mr Big Stuff, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Mr Big Stuff

Mr Big Stuff Guest

... has anyone else read this story in NY Mag???

http://nymag.com/news/features/45785/

"In an unrelated twist, the posh private practice was going bust anyway. A third partner, Todd Yancey, had been accused of inappropriate sexual contact with a few patients, one of whom committed suicide—he reportedly left a long note blaming Yancey for his depression. The family threatened legal action. Yancey agreed to retire his license, acknowledging he could not defend himself against the charges, and Bernard Salick shuttered the practice soon thereafter."

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WOW!!! How did that get past HR?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't get it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Didn't he work for BA?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, BA promoted him a few times (typical for BA promotions)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is nothing wrong with hiring a sexual predator ... way to go Amgen!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If I understand this correctly, Amgen RIFed several thousand people, but hired/retained a drug/sex abuser into its leadership?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Excuse me, but where in our Directory or Outlook Address Book does this TY show up? Not there.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard that he is now looking to make new "friends" over @ Genentech :)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Close, he got asked to leave and is now at ONYX. I guess they have as good of an HR dept as we do

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love how MD centric the pharma industry is that someone who has lost their medical license can still get a medical director job at three companies.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From the ONYX website (About Us, Management Team):

Todd J. Yancey, M.D.
    Vice President, Medical Affairs

Todd J. Yancey, M.D. joined Onyx in August 2006 as Vice President, Medical Affairs. Previously, Dr. Yancey was a Medical Director at Genentech. His group provided medical oversight for the Tarceva drug development program and product life-cycle management. In this role, he oversaw the Investigator Sponsored Trial program, provided Medical Science Liaison and commercial support, and managed scientific education initiatives. From 2002 to 2005, Dr. Yancey was at Amgen in both the U.S. and European Oncology organizations and also served as Director and Team Leader, Inflammation Regional Medical Liaisons. Prior to Amgen, he was the Senior Vice President of Medical and Scientific Affairs at BESTMED, the medical communications arm of Saatchi and Saatchi. Dr. Yancey earned his M.D. and B.A. at the University of Virginia and completed his residency and fellowship training at The New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical College.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shakespear had it right, " Physician Heal Thyself"

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Apparently, character is not a job requirement :)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just checked our "Career" page and ... NO, good character is not a job requirement.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another Amgen value...must be a sexual deviant. Goes hand in hand with being a team player:)

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If it is true that he is unlicensed and the situation was verified in some way by the medical board there would be a record on the state licensing board where the physician was/is licensed. Also there is the national practitioner database system. Too often, despite the transparent ways we have to review the credentials of physicians (or people who puport that they are physicians in the US but have missed a few important steps like sitting for the exam) companies seem to miss this. It is really important though because even in pharma the credibility of said physicians and moreover the ability leaves patient lives in the balance. This goes for all health care professionals in my book. Any organization hiring someone to provide medical direction within thier organization or as a speaker on behalf of the company might want to take a look at some of the credentialing standards widely used in other US based health care organizations.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I adore Todd, and this article is bogus.