» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Medical Equipment/Device Sales - General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Medical Equipment/Device Sales - General Discussion Medical Equipment/Device Sales - General Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Anonymous

Default TEI Biosciences

Anyone heard of this Co.? They sell surgical Skin (bovine). Any info
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: TEI Biosciences

Incredibly small player in a big time market. Selling fetal bovine dermis for hernia repair and plastics applications. The problem is that the 3 biggest general surgery device companies already own the hernia market. 2 of them are already selling bio's and Covidien will have one soon.

Lifecell owns the biologic market now but they are loosing share to Bard and Ethicon every day.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Anonymous

OP here! Thanks for the info. So, do they primarily compete on price? What is their niche?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Anonymous

They are cheaper, but I"m sure they claim some clinical advantages as well. I"m not sure what they are...I assume it has something to do with fetal dermis promotes more rapid ingrowth. This is a rapidly expanding market and the rep here is just picking up what she can get.

I would bet the company is just setting themselves up for a buyout. They can not compete in this marketspace.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Anonymous

OP again. I think you're exactly right. It is fetal bovine tissue and I believe it is the only Fetal tissue on the market. Their is some evidence that suggests that Fetal tissue repairs quicker than adult tissue, etc. I am not sure though about them wanting a buyout. they've been around since 1930. That's quite a while. Anyone work for TEI? Any insight?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
OP again. I think you're exactly right. It is fetal bovine tissue and I believe it is the only Fetal tissue on the market. Their is some evidence that suggests that Fetal tissue repairs quicker than adult tissue, etc. I am not sure though about them wanting a buyout. they've been around since 1930. That's quite a while. Anyone work for TEI? Any insight?
Does anyone else get the vibe that this a staged conversation from 2 TEI marketing nerds?

"...I believe it is the only Fetal tissue on the market. There is some evidence that suggests..."

Not saying it is, but it feels like it is.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: TEI Biosciences

OP here. Wrong. And just why would two marketing people want to have a thread on cafepharma? Nice try. No conspiracy here bud.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Anonymous

they were founded in the 90's by eugene bell after he sold patents for regenerative living tissues to organogenesis.

they seem like a good company, but its seems its taken them some time to grow wings.

everyone is for sale for the right price.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Anonymous

Anyone at all know the pay?
Car package?
Benefits, etc.?

Thnks
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Anonymous

Advice appreciated. I currently work for a large company. I do spend some time in the OR but desire to be there permanently. TEI seems to have nice product but it is small. Is the Biologic market a good industry to make the jump to?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Anonymous

Is anyone familiar w/ this company?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Is anyone familiar w/ this company?
Check out the second post. It is 100% accurate. I currently work in this space and their is no way a small player like TEI is going to make an impact on their own. Bard and Lifecell are both selling Allo and Xeno grafts.

J&J is selling and Allomax and probably fishing for a xeno. Covidian will have a xeno soon and would love to find and Allograft. Unfortunately there is none really left, the three big players have all the supply (literally, there is only so much human cadaveric dermis).

If you are in pharma and looking to jump in would be the only reason you should take this job. They will be swallowed up in a year and you will be jobless.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Anonymous

As someone who sells an allograft and a xenograft, I have never seen the Surgminend (TEI) product. The general surgeons already have numerous choices for xenografts from Strattice to Collamend to Permachol while the plastic surgeons have had tremendous success with Alloderm. Lifecell has also continued to have more success with general surgeons as they have gotten larger sizes of Alloderm.

This is very difficult market to compete. Cases where biological mesh is needed are inconsistent and the hospitals are very weary of having lots of inventory on the shelves. Most of these products have shorter shelf-lives and sometimes will expire before they are used.

If you are someone looking to get into the OR, I would head in another direction. There are far better and more lucrative opportunities out there.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Anonymous

wow....have friends who work there...no buyout planned from what i hear....growing company and expanding...not a JnJ/Covidian....no one has "real" data....its all subjective data out there.....it is a dog eat dog mesh industry....if your a good rep, you can get your product in....
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Anonymous

I work for Covidien selling Permacol. It's a good product however, heavy competition. I do see TEI's Surgimend on many shelves in my market. It is less expensive and I really don't know why surgeons tend to like the implant.
It is getting tougher to my hospitalds to stock this product as it is expensive. Most want it consigned (I hate to say it, it makes sense to me as well).

I personally would not look at working for a biologic company as a way to get into the OR. There are many other opportunities out there.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Anonymous

Stay away from the mesh business. Contrary to what the former rep from Covidien has posted, their biologic Permacol has failed miserably. Even those that are starting to make some progress will find themselves having to do a lot of explaining down the road. It rarely works with problems including; mesh breaking down and becoming "mush", recurrences and strange allergic reactions that no one can explain. Many mesh reps that I know have left their companies or are searching frantically to get out.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Anonymous

I am an Advanced Practice Nurse looking to get into Medical sales. I have been offered an interview to start up sales in a new territory with TEI (Surgimend). Have a friend who says he is doing well with it in another area of the country. I am not certain about it. I have heard very little and I am reluctant to jump into something that may not last or is not gonna even take off! Any advice?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Anonymous

They plan to do about $23-$25M in 2009 revenue that includes contract manufacturing for Medtronic, Stryker and Boston Scientific. You can make a decent living selling Surgimend for TEI. You get a car allowance, base pay and commission of 10% on all sales.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Anonymous

JNJ is not "shopping around" for a xenograft. Xenografts are not the gold standard, human is and will continue to be. TEI/Surgimend sells on one thing (in my personal experience) price. They are cheaper and that's it. I agree with the earlier post about this market being a dog eats dog world. You will need to be prepared to fight harder, work longer, and be more resilient than you ever have before. I do wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Anonymous

Default New hires?

Did anyone get hired yet? The hiring manager in the SE is completely useless.
Never answers calls or emails. Another corporate loser.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Anonymous

You are correct! Rude people in this company. Have no consideration on follow up.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Anonymous

Anybody know about the TEI position available in San Antonio? How is the manager, state of territory, etc.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: New hires?

Quote:
Did anyone get hired yet? The hiring manager in the SE is completely useless.
Never answers calls or emails. Another corporate loser.
Wes Rogers?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Anonymous

You are correct. These people are rude and do not follow up one way or the other. Wes is useless. They have no class or business sense.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Anonymous

Wes is a good guy as I used to work with him. I find it surprising he has not responded to voicemails/emails.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Anonymous

Arms Re: TEI Biosciences

That's because he's been terminated. You really should just contact the company customer service if you have questions or issues.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Anonymous

Thumbs down Re: TEI Biosciences

gee, that was rude!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Anonymous

Anyone know ballpark pay?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Anonymous

I think the base is about $60K per year plus 10% commission.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Anonymous

How is this company doing? Looking at opportunity. They have been around for a while but not sure about the future. Any info?? Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Anonymous

The company is doing well. Nice place to work. It is strong financailly with little or no debt and a good product that seems to be gaining market share as we speak.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Anonymous

The company is doing well. Nice place to work. It has a strong balance sheet and good products that seem to be gaining market share as we speak.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Anonymous

Thanks! Any info from current reps???
Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Anonymous

Arrow Re: TEI Biosciences (create a board for them PLEASE)

SALES REPRESENTATIVES - NATIONWIDE

TEI Biosciences Inc.ís Sales Representatives are the key our success. Spread the word and raise awareness of our premier product, SurgiMend. Key customers of our SurgiMend product include the Plastic and Reconstructive, Orthopedic and General Surgery communities, including surgeons, nurses, OR technicians and other associated hospital and health care staff. This job is not for the faint of heart and surgical experience is required. Maximize your growth and increase our market share!

SurgiMend is intended for implantation to reinforce weak or damaged soft tissues. Our biologic product is specifically indicated for:

Plastic and reconstructive surgery,
Muscle flap reinforcement,
Hernia repair including abdominal, inguinal, femoral, diaphragmatic, scrotal, umbilical and incisional hernias, and
Tendon repair including reinforcement of the rotator cuff, patella, Achilles, biceps and quadriceps tendons.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for attaining and surpassing sales objectives by knowing our product and the market place, building trust and fulfilling our customersí needs.
Promote TEI Biosciences Inc., our SurgiMend product line, and other company products appropriately.
Establish and maintain quality relationships with key medial centers, hospitals, surgeons, nurses, Operating Room (OR) technicians and other hospital and health care staff.
Understand customersí needs and requirements and provide timely and high-quality service including recommendations of the appropriate product and assisting with reimbursements.
Develop and meet business plan based upon available data and territory knowledge, and for targeting and prioritizing hospital and surgeon selection.
Responsible for the analysis, planning and management of sales and marketing activities for the territory.
Recommend and participate in trade conventions, sales meetings, symposia and training as required.
Develop and Refer Advocates for various procedures and product applications, clinical studies and case studies.
QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelorís degree required preferably in life sciences or nursing. Medical, Nursing or Operating Room (OR) certification or degree preferred.
Experience as surgical nurse or OR technician preferred. Direct experience in an Operating Room environment including a working knowledge of OR practices, protocols, procedures and systems.
Experience in medical/ surgical device sales preferably with biologics.
Experience with reimbursement preferred.
Demonstrated knowledge of biologic products, surgical techniques, and relevant markets including synthetic products.
Demonstrated success in growing customer base and developing excellent rapport essential.
Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and keep key relationships, and a high energy with a professional drive to succeed a must.
Superior presentation and communications skills particularly verbal and written including in person, over the phone and via e-mail.
Ability to travel to customer sites, trade shows and/or regional meetings via car, airplane or other common carriers 75% or more.
Come grow with us!

TO APPLY:
Please e-mail your resume to: hr@teibio.com; or fax it to: (617) 268-3282 (617) 268-3282 , ATTN: SalesR102207.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Anonymous

Thumbs up Re: TEI Biosciences

They are hiring.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Anonymous

Any idea on comp?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Anonymous

I hear the base is $60K plus 10%, car allowance but no stock options as the CEO is very tight with options for sales reps.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Anonymous

The 10% is the commission rate for all internal sales reps,
Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Anonymous

Good place to work? How are the Sales Managers?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Anonymous

Solid sales managers but no all-stars in my opinion. The CEO dumped a couple of the higher level people in recent years.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Anonymous

Anyone have any thoughts on Donna Zellers? Seemed nice when I met her but how is she to work for?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Anonymous

Sounds like a niche market player HOWEVER, I would not want to get into this field. I have sold biologics and thankfully got out. Competition is fierce (Covidien, Ethicon, Bard, Synovis, LifeCell) and many hospitals are attempting to sole source to one of the companies mentioned above.

Surgeons will tell you they will try it, but good luck getting a case. It was challenging and I was in the OR all day everyday with other products as well.

Very high maintenance, you will be literally chasing cases all day every day. If you have other options, look at them hard. Trying to save you some headaches.

Just my .2 worth, take it or leave it.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Stay away from the mesh business. Contrary to what the former rep from Covidien has posted, their biologic Permacol has failed miserably. Even those that are starting to make some progress will find themselves having to do a lot of explaining down the road. It rarely works with problems including; mesh breaking down and becoming "mush", recurrences and strange allergic reactions that no one can explain. Many mesh reps that I know have left their companies or are searching frantically to get out.
To the above poster, name one biologic that hasnt failed or turned to 'Mush'...there are so many variables, all information regarding biologic implants is pretty much anticdotal. Overall, I agree, not a good field to get into. Some surgeons are beginning to migrate back to synthetic meshes due to the inconsistincies of biologics.

What these companies need to do is develop a synthetic, monofilament absorbable mesh made from PDS or Maxon that will patch the patient until they can go in and fix defect with perm mesh. Plastic surgeons are starting to talk about synthetic absorbable meshes as well for breasts.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Anonymous

Has anyone heard of belladerm from MTF and how is it viewed
Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Anonymous

I used to work for this company. They will let you go in a heartbeat if you have a few slow months. Watch your back!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Anonymous

Very true about that. The CEO is very tough to work for. He let a top person go as he didn't like what he said in a meeting.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Anonymous

This product is really just another dermis product. Three of my plastics clients are looking for new products.. they say this causes an inflammatory response, encapsulates and is expensive. Leave the unborn cows alone. I agree with the other poster. There has got to be a synthetic material that goes away after time, however has all of the growth factors and functional protiens/ collagen that the hottest biologics have. the problem is that most synthetics cause the worse freaking inflammation and are magnets for bacteria. The other issue is that most biologics are not completely natural. The process behind sterilizing and decellularizing this stuff destroys most of the bioactive components. I went in on a case with radiated scalp treated with surgimend. Totally failed and cost the hospital 75k. I watched the doc grinding dead necrotic bone off of this poor old man where surgimend failed. Stop overseslling this stuff. It is not as regenerative as they claim.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Anonymous

It's all the same crap.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.... I've seen every product work and every product fail.... It's all about relationships and GPO's
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: TEI Biosciences

I agree with CEO comment! Sounds like he is very reactive! Almost like a puppet to a not so smart HR recruiter! CEO does whatever the HR guy tells him to do! Without any thought or concern of the repercussions! They let a great manager go this week! Sad loss for that company! The company will never go any further than it has because they have let great people go because the HR guy was scared of loosing credibility with the CEO! Afraid that it will show that he really doesn't know what he is doing at all! Good products, poor leadership!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Anonymous

This company is horrible. The CEO does not know how to conduct business. They have unrealistic expectations and then will essentially cap commissions if you sell too much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: