The truth about Apokyn.
Here we go.
1. When Apokyn works it works well. The problem is you do not know which patient will be successful... Which patient's blood pressue will drop 10-20 points.. Will the patient pass out... Will the patient throw-up.. If something goes wrong, which it often does, it can take 45 mins for the patient to come around enough to leave the office.
2. Physician's make money by turning rooms. The most neuro appt. are 15 min. and you will be in the room at least 45 mins without issues.
3. It the patient did well, now you have the issue of the cost of the drug. Yes many insurance companies do cover Apokyn and that is great news. But here is the bad news. Many companies require the patients to pay 25% co-insurance. Many patients will pay $75.00 per cartridge- the cartridge can last a few days or up to 7 days. Many patients paid $1,500 per month for their Apokyn. Most with stop using Apokyn after a few months. The more they use the more the drug costs.
4. Physicians become very upset when the patient does well, but then can't afford the cost of the drug. If a patient did not do well, the physician is really upset when the patient paid out of pocket for something that did not work.
5. Part of the IC plan, was based on patient refills. So if a patient bought 5 cartridges and then when into the d hole- and only bought 2 cartridges you would be short and would need another patient to buy 3 additional cartridges for you to break even.
6. Yes the base is very high, but keep in mind.. this will be the 3rd company that has tried to sell Apokyn..