AIMS. Is it for real?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Nov 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone heard of a place called American Institute of Medical Sales. They charge you $5000 and put you thru 8 weeks of training with the promise of a device sales job when your done? Is this for real or are they scamming your $35 application fee.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds to me like they're scamming $5000 out of you.

I can promise to send you $100,000 if you send me $25,000 as promise money. Kind of like the Nigerians.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's the best scam I've heard of in years. I wished I thought of it. LMAO... "application fee"....hilarious.

4. Wonka

Wonka Active Member

What if there were no openings at a real company?

You know how they can promise you a job....they'll have some bullshit job they will give you and say there's your job. A Scam for sure. You can't proimise a job, there has to be an opening.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone here have any prior experience with AIMS -
    appreciate the help

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes it is for real

www.aimedsales.com

alot of work and money has gone into making this idea a reality.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I will do the same thing for you for only $2500, give me a call!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ridiculous. Any device company will train their reps on precisely what they need to know. I see no purpose in this type of education and no advantage in this to getting that dream device or surgery job. These types of sales positions want star sellers and captial experience, a Masters Degree, Technical or RN or PT. I would love to really know how many of their graduates actually got jobs based on their credentialing alone.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

retarded, i sold capital equipment before getting into medical capital equipment...it is not rocket science.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They don't train reps to sell capital medical equipment, your right that gig is a joke that any monkey could do-they train them to sell medical devices, orthopedic and spine specific. This company was founded by a VP of sales and a regional sales manager for a big orthopedic company. They have over 5000 resumes, had 900 complete the process and have selected 26 people to go forward with the training so far. They have positions fed to them by the top 5 ortho companies, top spine and trauma companies who are tired of a 40% turnover rate in the first two years from people who come into device sales completely unprepared and spend their first year trying to catch up. To touch on the fact that device companies will teach you all you need to know-That is an absolute untruth and is not possible. They teach your their products. Most device companies sell through distributors who don't have HR departments and hire a great deal based on word of mouth and relationships-but those only go so far. The AIMS program is designed to get salespeople prepared so they can be productive from the start.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you AIMS recruiter for all that wisdom. Really, you are a rip off artist. Fuck you unless you have a long list of placements and can prove it. (You have got to be kidding - 25 people!) Do not cough up two corporate ortho names and expect people to buy into this crap. It is so sad for me to think how in such rough times people would fork over so much money for nothing. Not to even mention the amount of "work" involved. I am happy your VP has gone to so much trouble/research but PLEASE "distributorships" are high risk investments and require even more capital to crank it out. Few newbies are going to be able to figure the ins and outs of running one let alone get the clientele, keep them, and grow their business to even pay for your program let alone support themselves that first five years.

To the question by the OP - this is a crock of shit. Device companies want SALES experience not Bullshit certifications. The distributorships this poster mentions are for independent representatives, meaning you do not get a car or a salary and most often you have to buy the actually product and then try and sell it to make any money. Can you make a lot of money doing this? Yes, but it is a really rough road and the competition is fierce. I doubt AIMS is being forthcoming with exactly what they are training you for which is to have your own business, manage an inventory, seek out your own clients, be highly technical, close, manage your route and grow the business enough to pay them and pay for your supplies, gas, car, travel and entertainment expenses as well as the the products or devices you will selling. Certainly some places will provide you with a demo product for free.

REAL DEVICE companies that pay a salary want real RNs or Techs with Bachelors/Masters degrees or Physical Therapists with sales or capital equipment backgrounds. Please go look at MedReps and Medzilla or a few of the device boards and read their requirements. Nowhere will see AIMS certification a plus. I have been in the business for more than a decade and have never met anyone in device that needed AIMS to get there. Sorry.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey asswipe - I clear 135 to 150 every year and I leave at 9am and am home by 4 pm unless I'm on the night shift or weekend shift and I am not bringing lunches or calling on PCPs. (LOL)

I called it and you just proved it. You act like people should be clamoring to make 300K to 1 million a year. You know what? Some people actually want a life. What you claim is nearly impossible and very, very, very few people succeed. Hence, your exceedingly high turnover rate. It is a bitch but there are ortho/spine/endo/surgical companies that are not so horrible. They pay a small salary like 55 or 60 and allow you full ownership of THEIR productline WITH A GOAL. If you hit it, they pay you a heck of al lot of money, often 35 or 40 a quarter in bonus/commission.

Distributorships are a pain-in-the-ass and no they are not for "pussies". They are for work-alcoholic, money-grubbing assholes that have/want no life or family and can only think of driving, selling and closing the deal. They are for people who want to have a bad back and bad shoulders and be unable to work by the time they're fifty if they are still alive after all the stress. So they better hope they clear 300K plus a year min. Afterall, they will have to pay all their own health, life, disability insurance which should run well over 1200 a month. Then add in the car and travel and gas and you can add in another 1500. Then add in the entertainment and the fact they might NOT get reimbursed for any out of pocket dinners or entertainment expenses and dinners out and you can kiss another 1000 or 2000 away. Now you need to live in a major city to see enough clients to make it fly meaning your cost of living is triple and you can add in another 4000 just for your pad, taxes, lifestyle. So, you would have to clear after taxes a min of 8700 per month not counting your clothing, general utilities, family expenses and contribution to your 401K.

Where does leave a person who is not a "pussy"? Well, my big mouthed friend (obviously pissed that you have to work so hard), this means you have to make at least 300K annually just to survive and at least 500K in order to actually save a little money and pay for a family if you have one and still put away something for retirement.

Hey, you go for it. Our economy is dieing. We are in what will be one of the worst and longest recessions in history. Opening your own "distributorship" would be like saying, "I'm going to open my own restaurant". Your chances of success slim to none and you will be on a treadmill to nowhere that you can never get off because no one cares that "you" had your own distributorship should you fail. So, be ready to sell cars or insurance when your dream dies a horrible death and you owe out the asshole. Oh, and it is doubtful a "real" job will be interested that you have an AIMS certification and you spent your entire life traveling/selling as the other (shitty) pharma jobs dry up. In other words, you had no time to actually get a worthwhile advanced degree and, if you have not used it in 10 years, no one will hire you.

Good for you - have fun with your 15 hour day. I am going to go get another cup of coffee.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go to the AIMS website, scroll down to the bottom and click on the students names under Current News. It pops up a youtube video where they are having "exit interviews". One guy claims he is going to work for Zimmer and another chick just left pharma sales.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LMAO - OMG - hahahahahahahahahaahahaahh - shit that link should be up here. What a joke - love the classical music for their campus tour of their shit office. Was that chick from the Middle East or what? You can fool some of the people some of the time . . .

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My guess is that they "guarantee" you a job within a certain timeframe or they refund your money. There is some truth to the fact that med device companies and their customers prefer people who are not totally "green" and know how to at least wash their hands per the guidelines & and speak the lingo. It is not a bad investment in this economy if you have the money and the time (most unemployed people have the time at this point!). This training will give you more confidence in interviews and that alone can set you apart from the other people with no direct experience.

It isn't for everyone, but it does work for many people. I have personally recommended it to several of my unemployed friends who are desperate for jobs.

Using profanity and slamming something you obviously don't know much about is not what the OP asked for. CHILL OUT!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, fuck you. Profanity? You must not hang around surgeons much. LOL

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your a joke!

I have spent time at the facility in Memphis. First, get your facts straight. I have spent the last ten years as a director for a large Orthopaedic Device Company. What they are doing is exactly what the industry needs. I went through their selection process in detail. They might have 5000+ resumes but the actual number of people who apply is less than 10%. Why? Most Pharm reps or others won't do the work to get in. They charge the $35 to see who is serious. If you think they will get rich off of $15,000 in fees when they have 8,000 square feet, six-figure trainers and over 500K in operating equipment, your crazy!

Second, FYI most Orthopaedic Device Companies use distributorships.

Five largest Ortho companies:

1 - Zimmer
    2 - Depuy
    3 - Stryker
    4 - Smith & Nephew
    5- Biomet
    6 - Wright Medical
    7 - Exactech

Zimmer - Distributorships - see their website
    Depuy - Distributorships - see their website
    Stryker - Distributorships - " "
    Smith & Nephew - Both Distributorships and Direct
    Biomet - Distributorships
    Wright - Distributorships
    Exactech - Distributorships

Sorry folks, no laptops, no company cars JUST SALES -

The have a great concept and they have my business - Hats of to AIMS

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right on target.

One side comment...although Smith & Nephew does have some direct sales people, it is only 5%. The other 95% are 1099's.