» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Arthrex
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arthrex Anonymous board for Arthrex

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Anonymous

Default Cayenne Medical

Have any of you seen Cayenne Medical in your territory. I noticed one of thier brochures in one of my surgeons office. Any experiences or thoughts on them.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Cayenne Medical

They are out there, that is for sure. All surgeon driven, and surgeon invested. Their products are all PEEK and fill the tunnels with PEEK, not graft. For example, their Aperfix device places about 12-15mm or graft in the tunnel and the rest is filled with PEEK. purely mechanical fixation of the graft, when the little wings are deployed. Their Tibial implant is a knock off of the Intrafix, designed by the same engineer.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Anonymous

I have started seeing them gaining business in my territory. So what is there story that is causing surgeons to switch?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Anonymous

The Aperfix is easy to use and to reproduce. Its a single tunnel, double bundle construct. That is what appeals to surgeons. However, 12-15 mm of graft in fem socket is NOT enough. Are there any journal articles out there proving this? I have a surgeon who has revised two of these with Arthrex retrobutton's due to implant failure (the wings broke).
Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Anonymous

I spoke to a surgeon today who switched and he said the Aperfix system is giving him the best ACL results in less time. Has anyone else seen them in thier territory.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Anonymous

I'm seeing a bunch of this product. Any chance the rep who has this is the Donjoy guy in your area's? Do you think the agent is working them a deal on the DJ stuff to get them you use this POS? I don't get it... no clinicals, no history? They just arnt switching to it b/c its a couple mins faster.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Anonymous

The guy was selling DJO surgical(encore). I have had two surgeons say that this blows anything we have out of the water. WTF. Any ideas
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Anonymous

Oh and apparently they have a lot of big name sports med surgeons backing thier stuff
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Anonymous

Don't forget the cost, as I believe it runs 60-70% less than a typical Arthrex construct. That is the sole driver in one of my hospitals.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Anonymous

What is Estimated Cost for the Aperfix Femoral and Aperfix Tibial components?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Anonymous

I would have to say that the person who said that the sole reason for the people using Cayenne at his hospital is a Arthrex rep who is losing business. This is technology that has to be sold to the surgeon. Its not like a suture anchor or peek tenodesis screw where most companies are similar and surgeons would use whatever. So to say that they are using it solely on cost shows your lack of knowledge of your competition. The propblem is that you have nothing to get those surgeons back with.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Anonymous

I personally hate arthrex. But you need to look at the why/how its being marketed. Yes its a very quick and dirty procedure. You need to market your retro buttons which is faster. Find out your pullout strengths and compare them. Even if the cayenne is stronger tell them the truth and discuss it. The real problems with these are revisions. I have seen a couple these not collapse in a revision. So would either drill through and end up metal debri or drill a new tunnel. Also cost might be an issue.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Anonymous

Cost is not an issue. Also revisions are not an issue. I really doubt you have seen a revision. Even if the fins didn't retract and you had to drill you wouldn't have metal debri. I don't know if selling on the fact that your product in your opinion is easier to revise. Better just keep you relationship.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Anonymous

Hey Cayenne Rep, your drinking some serious KoolAid here. There is no doubt that your femoral component it difficult to revise. And yes, I have seen an aperfix revised with a retrobutton. The implant completely released and there was Peek and Metal barely hanging hanging on in the notch. NEWSFLASH- you cannot drill through metal, therefore it is harder to revise!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Anonymous

Cost may not be an issue but I bet any companies button can be sold cheaper than your cayenne. Even with all the disposables. It is simple and less to go wrong mechanically.
Heres a New Marketing plan for any Button the tu type fixation.
1. Simplcity.
2. Cost.
3. Strength.
4. More graft in the tunnel will make for granulation and absorption of the graft. IE biomet new button.
5. Cortical bone fixation if you back up the graft with a screw to eliminate winshield washer effect.
6. I still hate Arthrex.

Biggest problem are idiot reps not measuring right and then the button is to long. I now thats why one of my old bosses loss out to cayenne. He was using retro button. But he fucked up and the doc switched the next case. So I have seen revisions and metal debri.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Anonymous

I hear the team that invented the AperFix stuff are amazing. Don't think they are at all related to the group that did IntraFix but who knows? I hear they have a lot of stuff coming that could cause us all problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
They are out there, that is for sure. All surgeon driven, and surgeon invested. Their products are all PEEK and fill the tunnels with PEEK, not graft. For example, their Aperfix device places about 12-15mm or graft in the tunnel and the rest is filled with PEEK. purely mechanical fixation of the graft, when the little wings are deployed. Their Tibial implant is a knock off of the Intrafix, designed by the same engineer.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Anonymous

Newsflash:The metal in the aperfix device is straight down the center of the device. so in the rare event you have to do a revision you would drill through peek not metal.

could you elaborate on the statement that less can go wrong with a button. Do you have any example of something going wrong with the Aperfix or are you pulling stuff out of your ass.

how are you going to say the button is cheaper and then say you need to back it up with a screw to eliminate windshield wiper effect. "Hey doc the button is cheaper. oh but i forgot to mention you need a screw to back it up"

The aperfix is just as easy as any button procedure. you just slide in the device with the graft and turn a knob.

So lets see the only problems you can find are hypothetical ones you dream up. The cost is about the same until you add a screw and the button becomes more expensive. Could you please come talk to my surgeons who are using the aperfix. You will only solidify my position as the go to guy for ACLs.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Newsflash:The metal in the aperfix device is straight down the center of the device. so in the rare event you have to do a revision you would drill through peek not metal.

could you elaborate on the statement that less can go wrong with a button. Do you have any example of something going wrong with the Aperfix or are you pulling stuff out of your ass.

how are you going to say the button is cheaper and then say you need to back it up with a screw to eliminate windshield wiper effect. "Hey doc the button is cheaper. oh but i forgot to mention you need a screw to back it up"

The aperfix is just as easy as any button procedure. you just slide in the device with the graft and turn a knob.

So lets see the only problems you can find are hypothetical ones you dream up. The cost is about the same until you add a screw and the button becomes more expensive. Could you please come talk to my surgeons who are using the aperfix. You will only solidify my position as the go to guy for ACLs.
Hey genius have you ever tried to drill thru PEEK. Good luck with that as well!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Anonymous

There is a nice journal article explaining the ease of revision with the aperfix. In the rare event you do need to revise one its not that big a deal. I really hope you guys are trying to sell the value of your products and not trying to negative sell the Aperfix. That will just make you look bad.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Hey genius have you ever tried to drill thru PEEK. Good luck with that as well!!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't you drill through PEEK? I came from spine and drilled through PEEK interbody cages all the time for revisions.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Anonymous

you can drill through peek. This is how this jerk off is trying to sell against the Aperfix. Try to find anything to speak negatively about it. Problem is, when confronted with actual facts and clinical experience he will look like an idiot. Lets see who would know more about how difficult the Aperfix is to revise, competitive rep or a Surgeon Champion who has done multiple revisions.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Anonymous

WOW this is interesting. I post some opions and everyone is ging off on tangents.

Fact: The cayenne does not always collapse the way it is suppose to. When it doesn't you have to drill it out and it makes a mess.

Fact: A button is stronger and cheaper.

Fact: You don't have to back up a button. But even with a screw for back up it is still cheaper.

Fact: I only was telling the guy what he needed to do to compete I could care less about your sales. If you continue be a dick I'll continue to tell them suggestions on how to pick the Cayenne apart.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Anonymous

You are correct in saying that the wings don't always collapse. If they don't you do have to drill through peek. If you have seen any of the cases I don't know how you can say it is a mess. True -A button is stronger, not much. The Aperfix is more than strong enough to support any stress placed on it (if you have evidence of a failure due to mechanical failure please share). True- The button is cheaper, again not much. The difference is a small price to pay for better kinematics and the new technology. It is also a small price to pay to ensure you don't have the windshield wiper effect. I don't know about your area but in mine the Aperfix is definately cheaper that a button and screw. You may have been trying to help him compete but I am defending your misinformation. You are right about some things but the bottom line is that the Aperfix provides a better repair from a kinematic standpoint. It is easy to put in and revise. It ensures against windshielf wiper effect.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 AM
Anonymous

Ill sell joints so it wasnt devastating, but a creepy cayenne rep took the little acl business I had overnight. When I say creepy, I mean the nurses checked meganslaw.gov for this guy! It must be some femoral fix!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: Cayenne Medical

If your Tunnels are right you wont have any windshield wiper effect. So no back up screw needed. There is no advantage when it come to position because a tunnel is a tunnel. Whether a button is used or a aperifx I dont really care. The revisions havent been hardware related just bad luck for the patints and I seen three and only one didn't colapse. But the tunnel position was spot on so he drilled through and it used a button.

Sorry but a button is stronger, faster, easier to prep,(No tendon splitting involved) and only three parts to fail.(button, Loop, or graft)

Also Im still concerned about lack of graft in the tunnel. If you have 100mm graft I would put at least 30mm in the femoral tunnel. The more you havew in the tunnel the better chances you have for that graft to take. (I might be talking out my Ass) Yours is lucky to get 15mm. But is there a reason you have to stop at 15mm or can put 30mm in there anyways?

I really don't think I have given any miss information.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Anonymous

I guess if your surgeon is spot on everytime then he doesn't need to worry about windshield wiper effect. I know surgeons who are published who have written on the issue of this. In regards to failure Cayenne hasn't seen mechanical failures to date. All the failures have been graft. In regards to graft in tunnel. Alot of studies show that the majority of the graft incorporation takes place at apature. So It makes sense to have a device that allows for compressing the graft against the bone at that point. Also keeping the device closer to apature allows for orientation of the bundles. I guess in theory you could place the device further in the tunnel but there is not need for this and it would actually have more negative than positive. There is more than 1 way to do things in ACL repair. Some surgeons will always use buttons. They have good results and dont see a reason to change. Some surgeons will be open to new technology and move forward with it.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Cayenne Medical

first of all, if any of you think that it is acceptable to get only 10 to 15 mm of graft interface you might want to have yourself arrested for being a complete dumb ass. Its also not acceptable to for a surgeon to have to put his tunnel more vertical, only for the mere reason of trying to allow more graft interface. all the studies now are saying "further down on the lateral wall", to control rotational stability and to avoid PCL impingement. When that tunnel is placed at the 10 o'clock position, your femoral tunnel measures, on the average 35 mm. The cayenne system only comes in one size. 29mm! last time I checked, 6mm is really not a lot of graft in the tunnel. If you think that is acceptable, then why don't you guys start attaching your graft with peek suture anchors? and as far as the tibial fixation goes, that implant is only a really bad version of the intrafix, which happens to be a all cancellous fixation. The bartz study (AJSM) showed the intrafix to be weaker than the Central loc (Biomet), and even weaker than a basic Bio screw. You guys need to read a little! come back when you are better educated! and whoever said that to much graft is bad in the tunnel, you should just stop now!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Ill sell joints so it wasnt devastating, but a creepy cayenne rep took the little acl business I had overnight. When I say creepy, I mean the nurses checked meganslaw.gov for this guy! It must be some femoral fix!
I heard in Georgia that Cayenne made a big swing at Atrhex's business, but it is slipping now. Did Cayenne change reps? Is the new Arthrex distributor just better than the last?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Anonymous

Cayenne is a joke. If you go AM portal you may get 10mm of graft in the femur if you are lucky. It will be a challenge revising these but we are up to the task.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Anonymous

I just want to know what Cayenne has available for when the surgeon blows out the back wall? Just a though....(hope the hospital has a retrobutton or endobutton or xtendobutton sitting on the shelf) hmmmm
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
In regards to failure Cayenne hasn't seen mechanical failures to date. All the failures have been graft.
I was in a revision where it appeared the device failed. It had loosened and slipped down into the joint. The graft didn't have any tension. Getting the thing out wasn't pretty. Doc wasn't the original surgeon, so nothing was reported to the company. I'm sure Cayenne hasn't seen any "reported" failures. But when was the last time you or your surgeon filled out an FDA complaint form and sent it to a manufacturer of a failed device?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Anonymous

Cayenne Medical will doe well.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Cayenne Medical

Cayenne is already dieing quickly. Too much money was initially raised, which spells their eventual doom. Google it to see how much was already over- invested in this pig. They are currently surviving on a bridge loan, which means that their lead VC's are about to shit their pants.They continue to switch distributors nationally and are run by a very shady Jim Hart who would sell his "hart" to the devil. I won't lose any of my business to them, because their distributor was just fired here in Texas. They are going to end up exactly like Scandius, an asset sale with the doors locked.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Cayenne Medical

$32 million to be exact. Wow...how would you like to have been in the $15 Million "C" Round? Ouchhh!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cayennemedical.com/media-investor-relations/
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Anonymous

Notworthy Re: Cayenne Medical

How comical is the genius who posted #33? If business is so good do you really seek out this forum to bash Cayenne? I'm sorry, there is no credibility with that transparent loser.

The fact is Cayenne has better products and all the competitors know it. I hear Cayenne had 1100 surgeon users in the US in 2009. They are doubling their sales force in 2010. For all the negative "spin" posters you need to know only one thing....Fear the Pepper, it's going to get too HOT for you to handle!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Mr Genius...you can drill through PEEK, ask a spine rep. And you don't drill through it you core over it. I don't blame you, I've seen the stuff Arthrex puts out in their newsletters and its laughable. Good luck once your surgeon tries this....good luck.

typical bad info...yawn
Old 05-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
first of all, if any of you think that it is acceptable to get only 10 to 15 mm of graft interface you might want to have yourself arrested for being a complete dumb ass. Its also not acceptable to for a surgeon to have to put his tunnel more vertical, only for the mere reason of trying to allow more graft interface. all the studies now are saying "further down on the lateral wall", to control rotational stability and to avoid PCL impingement. When that tunnel is placed at the 10 o'clock position, your femoral tunnel measures, on the average 35 mm. The cayenne system only comes in one size. 29mm! last time I checked, 6mm is really not a lot of graft in the tunnel. If you think that is acceptable, then why don't you guys start attaching your graft with peek suture anchors? and as far as the tibial fixation goes, that implant is only a really bad version of the intrafix, which happens to be a all cancellous fixation. The bartz study (AJSM) showed the intrafix to be weaker than the Central loc (Biomet), and even weaker than a basic Bio screw. You guys need to read a little! come back when you are better educated! and whoever said that to much graft is bad in the tunnel, you should just stop now!
Wow...so much to address, like working with my little 4 year old.

1. To start Freddy Fu has a paper showing 15mm is exactly the same as 25mm in the tunnel. There are other papers as well. The whole idea is what happens at aperture.

2. Your 29-35 and 6 little illustration is off. With a 29mm implant in a 29mm tunnel (hello) you still have 15mm of graft in the tunnel.

3. We've been coming down the lateral wall for years. Makin that statement on quotes seems like you were at training last week and are pretty excited to let people in on some secrets of the latest trends...so was I when I was still wet behind the ears.

4. Bottom line is surgeons are flipping. Typical bad info from reps who want to save their business, I get it. Problem is once guys try it (like a 25yr Arthrex guy with over 3000 acl's who Reinhold called on his cell to ask him why he was using Cayenne. Cause my knees have NEVER been this solid...never. He loveeeeees it)

So you can rip it all you want, but if you took a second to understand the product (if you're good u should be able to sell the competition) you would realize that while nothing is perfect...there is nothing else out there that can do what Cayenne does by locking the graft in at aperture, eliminating steps, spreading out the graft to make the footprint broader like in the native acl, and producing the tightest knees a doc has had. For strength...just see Brian Able's study and results. Very very respected, non owned, non biased Westpoint guy. Cayenne was stronger on the femur and around 1150+n on the tibial side. Again, you would have to actually WANT to understand it.

Enjoy the Simpsons and your Cheetos tonight...have to go take some more business tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Anonymous

Crying Re: Cayenne Medical

Quote:
How comical is the genius who posted #33? If business is so good do you really seek out this forum to bash Cayenne? I'm sorry, there is no credibility with that transparent loser.

The fact is Cayenne has better products and all the competitors know it. I hear Cayenne had 1100 surgeon users in the US in 2009. They are doubling their sales force in 2010. For all the negative "spin" posters you need to know only one thing....Fear the Pepper, it's going to get too HOT for you to handle!
Ok, so there were 1100 surgeons who tried it? How many of those for more than one case? How many of those had the femoral graft slip down into the joint, or blow out the back wall. They have had round a, round b, round c, and are now on a bridge loan which didn't even make it over to the d or Death round. Keep drinking your koolaid, and go choke on a pepper.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 AM
Anonymous

I had Cayenne's AperFix 29mm femoral and tibial implant placed in my knee after I tore my ACL.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of my surgery. Prior to my surgery I could squat 315 lb. and leg press 650 lb. Tonight I had a leg workout where I squatted 400 lb. and leg pressed 800 lb. In addition, my 40 yard dash time has decreased (with only weight training). My surgically repaired knee feels better and is stronger than my other "normal" knee.

I am so happy I made the decision to use AperFix, I am positive I would not have had the same recovery and results with another product. I don't understand how anyone could not like this product; the bottom line is that it works (and works well!).

I wholeheartedly would recommend AperFix to anyone who has had an ACL tear!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Anonymous

The surgeon that gives the testimonial on their website is an investor and doesn't use it anymore. Now THAT is a testimonial.
My coring reamer business has tripled since a couple docs in my area started using it. Cayenne is really growing the revision market.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Anonymous

I haven't checked this in a while. It looks like I have made some people upset. Get over it and only post facts. Or shut up. 15 mm is not equal to 25mm or am I confused. Please explain it slowly I'm getting the water out ears.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Anonymous

Read the "facts" right here

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/36/11/2158.abstract
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Anonymous

They fact are this...you are all sitting in cases to make maybe 100 each...get over it.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Cayenne Medical

"Stiffness, ultimate failure load, and ultimate stress revealed no statistically significant differences between the 15-mm group and the 25-mm group."

So, no advantage.

Goes back to keeping it simple.

Button up top and screw below.

P.S. not a rep.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Anonymous

That's not the point. In response to:

"I haven't checked this in a while. It looks like I have made some people upset. Get over it and only post facts. Or shut up. 15 mm is not equal to 25mm or am I confused. Please explain it slowly I'm getting the water out ears."

According to the research, 15mm clearly is equal in strength and stiffness to 25mm. It doesn't take a doctor to understand that. Cayenne's product gives superior results with less morbidity.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I just want to know what Cayenne has available for when the surgeon blows out the back wall? Just a though....(hope the hospital has a retrobutton or endobutton or xtendobutton sitting on the shelf) hmmmm
There is no need fo the retrobutton or any other type of button just button your lip because docs are changing just ask James Andrews
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
There is no need fo the retrobutton or any other type of button just button your lip because docs are changing just ask James Andrews
you didn't answer the question moron! so what's the answer? what happens if they blow out the back wall??? let me guess...you do not have an answer to that... and ask Dr Andrews what? why don't you enlighten us greenhorn.... is that what you tell a surgeon when he asks if the backwall is blown out "go ask Dr. Andrews". WOW, i bet your a REAL resource to your surgeons....loser
Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Anonymous

What's the difference between 15 and 25 mm?
Funny come backs.

1. Ask your wife.
2. Ask your boyfriend.
3. Ask your girlfriend.
sorry couldn't resist.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
you didn't answer the question moron! so what's the answer? what happens if they blow out the back wall??? let me guess...you do not have an answer to that... and ask Dr Andrews what? why don't you enlighten us greenhorn.... is that what you tell a surgeon when he asks if the backwall is blown out "go ask Dr. Andrews". WOW, i bet your a REAL resource to your surgeons....loser
its called I gat your business froghorn. Enough said Peek is stronger and if there is a revision it's simple, stop crying and join the pepper. It's hot in here. Tell you wife she won't get the Sizzler dinner this weekend
Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
its called I gat your business froghorn. Enough said Peek is stronger and if there is a revision it's simple, stop crying and join the pepper. It's hot in here. Tell you wife she won't get the Sizzler dinner this weekend
i read this quote and i can't help but envision a down south redneck chewing on a straw of hay.....cracks me up....BUT you still didn't answer the question!!! is that what you Cayenne rep's do? keep avoiding the question??? probably smart on your part....have fun playing second fiddle...or should i say third or fourth.....you guys will never make major headway, probably will get bought by a big player...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: