» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads


Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > General Discussion > Industry Veterans
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Industry Veterans This board is for reps that have been in the industry for 10 years or more. Newer reps may also post questions, etc., but please be respectful of those with experience.

Reply

 
Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #801  
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

35 y/o
just under 500K in retirement accts
55K in college accts
70K in emergency savings
Still owe just under 200K on house. No other debts.
Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

40 y/o
- No retirement savings (I couldn't afford to put money away because I lost my pharma job)
- $18K/year income from my car wash job (including tips)
- $20 in my pocket for gambling/lottery tickets
- Van worth $2K
- Doublewide worth $6K (this is what I call my "investment property" because I plan to rent it out and live in my van)
- Wish I had my pharma job back
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

53 years old
close to 1 million in assets
owe over 300K on mortgage
no other debts
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
31 Male
52K Salary

$21K - 401K
$15K - Roth IRA
$32K - Inherited IRA
$265K - Managed Portfolio
$42K - Stocks
$500.00 - 529 Plan
$2K - Checking

$6K in Debt

I save on average 14% - 18% of my income depending on the months.

I plan on retiriing when I am 62 years old, please let me know if this is feasible?
you can retire today. anything is feasible if you live within your means
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

32 and didn't start 401k till 27 when i was slinging copiers.

48k and just now maxing out every year. goal is home and vacation home paid for with zero debt and 1.5 million between wife and I, (she has nearly 80k) my guess is i'll be 50 before goal is reached.
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Whoever the two complete idiots are that are going back and forth for what seems like forever now.....please stop it. You've got to be the most annoying tards ever. Do us all a favor and get lost

110,000 views, and its not like I am speaking gibberish, like PHARMABOY.

Stick with the topic. I do. What do you have to offer this forum, other than a silly observations about nothing?

As for stocks, you are a fool not to buy as much AAPL and IBM as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Whoever the two complete idiots are that are going back and forth for what seems like forever now.....please stop it. You've got to be the most annoying tards ever. Do us all a favor and get lost
I totally agree. This thread is about how much you have in your 401k and how old you are. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yet we have two or three idiots making stuff up about how great life is in/out of pharma. We get stupid "investment" tips, B.S. about how 401k's are rip offs and fantasies about former pharma people living in trailer parks while working at the car wash or burger joint. Totally unrealistic, totally off-topic.

The sad thing is neither of you two (or three or four) have any clue how stupid you look with your fantasy "arguments" trying to sway the other fool's point of view. Wise up and you'll realize you should take a hike from here. My money is on none of you losers realizing this and we're going to get nothing but more garbage out of you.

The least you idiots could do is start another thread so everyone with more than half a brain can ignore you all. I may start one for you so you can chase shiny objects together, away from the grown-ups. The best you could do is to eat feces and expire, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
110,000 views, and its not like I am speaking gibberish, like PHARMABOY.

Stick with the topic. I do. What do you have to offer this forum, other than a silly observations about nothing?

As for stocks, you are a fool not to buy as much AAPL and IBM as possible.
90% of the 110,000 views are likely you couple of monkeys looking at your own posts over and over again. Stop it already and buzz the fu** off

Again, this is a 401k and age thread. Nobody cares about your bogus investment advice.
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

With the stock market at an all time high, SELLING is a no brain move.

Real estate is the buying opportunity right now.
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
With the stock market at an all time high, SELLING is a no brain move.

Real estate is the buying opportunity right now.
Again, on behalf of everyone-go start another thread elsewhere. Nobody is interested in taking any of your advice

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #811  
Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

100,00 in my just mu husband's, e 25,0000mine
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I think you need to focus on your own problems instead of acting like the hall monitor at school. My guess is that you got more than your fair share of wedgies in school. We will all post what we like. If you don't like it, don't bother to read it.
For the third or fourth time....please go away. I know it will hurt your feelings but people are only glancing at your posts up to this point to see what the dim witted fool will say next. No one will make any wholesale changes to their investment strategy based on your stupid observations-sorry

So please.....................take a hike

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

What should I do with my current 772k in the fixed income market? Worried about my bond funds given the QE tapering comments from BB last Weds which apparently spooked the bond market. What is the short and long direction of TNX? Would appreciate more sage advice from the experts here on this forum
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

me 33 yo med device sales
wife 34 pharmacist

Assets
300k in cash/stock
400k in Retirement
500k house
40k other assets (jewlery cars)

Liabilities
350k mortgage
95k owed to private loan

795k Networth

Live in NY and I feel POOR. No Joke. Also I bought my house at the height of the housing bubble and ail not recoup my renovation costs. But I am NOT underwater on my mortgage.

I feel like I did everything right and I am still behind... I realizer it is a matter of perspective and its all relative.
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
me 33 yo med device sales
wife 34 pharmacist

Assets
300k in cash/stock
400k in Retirement
500k house
40k other assets (jewlery cars)

Liabilities
350k mortgage
95k owed to private loan

795k Networth

Live in NY and I feel POOR. No Joke. Also I bought my house at the height of the housing bubble and ail not recoup my renovation costs. But I am NOT underwater on my mortgage.

I feel like I did everything right and I am still behind... I realizer it is a matter of perspective and its all relative.
A few things. You guys have done a good job saving and have good jobs/income. Couple thoughts: Rate/term/purpose on 95K private loan? I'd really consider dipping into the cash and pay that off. Rate on mortgage? If 5% of higher (hope not), I'd also consider putting 100K towards the mortgage and refi to either lower rate, shorten the term to say 15 or 20 year, or since you feel poor and you're in device where job security is tough to find, keep it on a 30 year but reduce your payments by a solid $600 month with that 100K. That would leave you $100K in cash, and cut the private loan out, and get the mortgage down to 250K saving $600 month. I think that would make you feel much better. Puts you into a very strong situation, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

mortgage rate is 3.875 refi'd two years ago (previously was 5.5%)

private loan is 0% eight years left to payoff

thanks for the input, i have toyed with the idea of paying down my mortgage but have had a better return in the stock market thus far (who knows what can happen tomorrow)
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

57 years old 961k in 401k had a nice pop a couple of years ago in company stock
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-uacpdWPc

cut and paste...

and learn.
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-uacpdWPc

cut and paste...

and learn.
I have seen better videos from 10 year olds.

If you are not smart enough to manage your 401k and stock investments, then don't do it. Leave it to us adults and you kiddies can go put your money in your passbook savings account earning .00001% in interest.
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I have seen better videos from 10 year olds.

If you are not smart enough to manage your 401k and stock investments, then don't do it. Leave it to us adults and you kiddies can go put your money in your passbook savings account earning .00001% in interest.
post it then.
you need to renew your mind.
Blanch is a youtube legend, traded on Wall St., taught finance at the top undergrad school in the country for business.

just sayin...
Reply With Quote
  #821  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
post it then.
you need to renew your mind.
Blanch is a youtube legend, traded on Wall St., taught finance at the top undergrad school in the country for business.

just sayin...
It would be easier to post videos that are worse than that one.

Most companies now have low cost index funds as investment options. Expenses run less than 1/4 of 1%. Study after study shows that it is difficult to earn beyond market returns and that timing the market does not work. Read up on the efficient market theory. There are several good books to read, but if I had to pick one, I would pick up a portfolio allocation book by William Berstein. He also does a great job in defining the risk in each investment.
Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It would be easier to post videos that are worse than that one.

Most companies now have low cost index funds as investment options. Expenses run less than 1/4 of 1%. Study after study shows that it is difficult to earn beyond market returns and that timing the market does not work. Read up on the efficient market theory. There are several good books to read, but if I had to pick one, I would pick up a portfolio allocation book by William Berstein. He also does a great job in defining the risk in each investment.
still waiting for your video.
Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

I am just going to say this again for all of you spoiled pharma lifers. The average savings of someone in the U.S. at retirement is 250k. That is it. Data suggests that a large majority of people who are 55 only have saved 60k. Not everyone gets to make six figures with bonus, stock options, pension. . . . and on and on. Not everyone really understands the stock market. I tried. I studied. I won - a lot at one point and then lost it all. Why? Because some DB convinced me to hold when I should have sold. I have had several horrible medical issues, some without insurance (not that I did have it; they just refused to pay a dime). Surprise. You can find yourself with an out of work spouse, caring for elderly parents and having a kid move back home. . . . not the retirement you expected and certainly a drain on what anyone would expect at 55. I know I am not rich but I sure know I'm better off than probably 90 percent of the people out there.
55 years of age, disabled now.
550k in retirement
400k home with 300 in equity (up for sale!!!)
No debt
80k in slush fund
8000 a year pension when I'm 65 and SS.
Husband still works. So we might be able to put away another 100k and that will have to be it for us. Maybe will end up with 700k in the end.

Oh, horrors!!!! We might have to live on 50 or 60k annually!!!! LMAO. I will take that to not have to deal with any corporate B.S. ever again. My biggest fear is medical expenses. I am giving serious thought to leaving the U.S. b/c of our shitty healthcare system. It has to be the worst of any industrialized country. However, we are going to get a small place, all paid off with low taxes that should bring our total montly living expenses to about 1000. I think that is what most should do who are in our boat. Maybe one of you wealthy folk will invite us out for dinner or out on your boat or to your lake home!
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I am just going to say this again for all of you spoiled pharma lifers. The average savings of someone in the U.S. at retirement is 250k. That is it. Data suggests that a large majority of people who are 55 only have saved 60k. Not everyone gets to make six figures with bonus, stock options, pension. . . . and on and on. Not everyone really understands the stock market. I tried. I studied. I won - a lot at one point and then lost it all. Why? Because some DB convinced me to hold when I should have sold. I have had several horrible medical issues, some without insurance (not that I did have it; they just refused to pay a dime). Surprise. You can find yourself with an out of work spouse, caring for elderly parents and having a kid move back home. . . . not the retirement you expected and certainly a drain on what anyone would expect at 55. I know I am not rich but I sure know I'm better off than probably 90 percent of the people out there.
55 years of age, disabled now.
550k in retirement
400k home with 300 in equity (up for sale!!!)
No debt
80k in slush fund
8000 a year pension when I'm 65 and SS.
Husband still works. So we might be able to put away another 100k and that will have to be it for us. Maybe will end up with 700k in the end.

Oh, horrors!!!! We might have to live on 50 or 60k annually!!!! LMAO. I will take that to not have to deal with any corporate B.S. ever again. My biggest fear is medical expenses. I am giving serious thought to leaving the U.S. b/c of our shitty healthcare system. It has to be the worst of any industrialized country. However, we are going to get a small place, all paid off with low taxes that should bring our total montly living expenses to about 1000. I think that is what most should do who are in our boat. Maybe one of you wealthy folk will invite us out for dinner or out on your boat or to your lake home!
more ammo for those of you brainwashed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQTIyidIA24
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
more ammo for those of you brainwashed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQTIyidIA24

The reason why people can't see the truth about the 401k is the same reason why they think doctors are smart and pharmaceutical pills are good for you: they can't think for themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Perhaps the sheep will learn to think before their life has passed them by OR they can continue to let their kids watch Hanna Montana and accept the losing mentality that has taken over this once great country.
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The reason why people can't see the truth about the 401k is the same reason why they think doctors are smart and pharmaceutical pills are good for you: they can't think for themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Perhaps the sheep will learn to think before their life has passed them by OR they can continue to let their kids watch Hanna Montana and accept the losing mentality that has taken over this once great country.
You really don't understand 401k's. The 401k is merely ax deferment. Most companies now offer index funds that are low cost and consistently outperform managed funds. All my funds have an expense rate lower than a quarter of 1 percent. If you don't like your investment options, stick to funding a Roth or traditional IRA.

Fear mongering and misinformation will get you nowhere. There is plenty of research/data out there to make an informed decision. Stop taking advice for stupid videos and people that avoid factual market data.
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:48 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
You really don't understand 401k's. The 401k is merely ax deferment. Most companies now offer index funds that are low cost and consistently outperform managed funds. All my funds have an expense rate lower than a quarter of 1 percent. If you don't like your investment options, stick to funding a Roth or traditional IRA.

Fear mongering and misinformation will get you nowhere. There is plenty of research/data out there to make an informed decision. Stop taking advice for stupid videos and people that avoid factual market data.
You just don't get it.

It is about predicting the future. Something you cannot do, and nobody on this planet can do.

You need to reprogram your mind, son. Turn off the TV. Turn off the cell phone. Get off of Facebook.

I really need to move on from you people. I sincerely try to help. But, you are just not ready. There is much more for me to explain to you, but I would just be wasting my time.
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

In simple terms, the 401k is designed to take money from your pocket and put it into the hands of others.

To deny that simple face, is foolish.

Some more free advice:

1. pay all your debt up as soon as possible (if you have any).
2. don't get loans of any kind. cash only, moving forward.
3. sell everything you don't need, now.

This is simple stuff because I know who I am dealing with here.

Those of you that want to continue in the systems that seeks to control you with paper money and material things and other things that gets burned up with a simple flamer, are being mislead and have bought into a scheme that seeks to destroy you. Bernie Madoff was a crook, but was still a very intelligent man, and he said it correctly, when he said that the economy is nothing but a big ponzi scheme. That's all I have for you today. I wanted to share this, especially to the youngsters out there. Those of you that are set in your ways, need to learn to think and consider what I am suggesting, instead of reverting to your argument about index funds, and other silly investments.
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Want to retire early
 
Posts: n/a
Rolleyes Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

51 this week, have 420k in my 401k, 870/mo in an employer pension account if I retired today and a house with roughly 200k equity. No real debt to speak of.
Have recently come to the conclusion that I would like to retire early and live abroad and am discovering the government is against that idea.

Looking at soc security at 62.5 benefit of about $1700/mo. I have determined that if I could buy a property cash for under 200k, I could easily live abroad for roughly 30k a year on existing savings until soc sec kicks in. These numbers do not factor in wife's 401k, soc security.

Trying to determine if I can withdraw my 401k at all and if so what type of penalties to expect. Should I withdraw all at once or just what I need to buy a property, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to retire early View Post
51 this week, have 420k in my 401k, 870/mo in an employer pension account if I retired today and a house with roughly 200k equity. No real debt to speak of.
Have recently come to the conclusion that I would like to retire early and live abroad and am discovering the government is against that idea.

Looking at soc security at 62.5 benefit of about $1700/mo. I have determined that if I could buy a property cash for under 200k, I could easily live abroad for roughly 30k a year on existing savings until soc sec kicks in. These numbers do not factor in wife's 401k, soc security.

Trying to determine if I can withdraw my 401k at all and if so what type of penalties to expect. Should I withdraw all at once or just what I need to buy a property, etc?
see, you shouldn't have tied up your money in the 401k at all. now you are stuck. hopefully, you will make it to 59.5...

oh wait, they retirement age is going up too, so you might have to wait til 65.

here is a concept for you mind to consider: RENT.
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

OP,

To answer your question:

31 (former pharmaceutical rep that quit because of the silly culture).
106k in 401k (unfortunately, got suckered in at an early age (started in the industry at 24) but no longer contributing.
Fortunately, I have enough liquid and no debt and no mortgage and a good job, so there is no need to touch it (yet). I may buy a condo, for cash, but not sure yet.

Those of you that continue to contribute to this scheme will suffer.
This is a warning because I care about all of you.
Pay attention. Turn off the TV.

He that has an ear, let them hear what the Spirit says.
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
see, you shouldn't have tied up your money in the 401k at all. now you are stuck. hopefully, you will make it to 59.5...

oh wait, they retirement age is going up too, so you might have to wait til 65.

here is a concept for you mind to consider: RENT.
WRONG answer. Even if the cash was in a taxable account, he doesn't have enough. Further, if he wanted to retire that early, he should have planned further in advance.

Also, if he would have avoided the 401K, he would have had to pay income tax instead of getting the tax deferral in the 401K. As such, his balance would have been considerably smaller than what he has now.

Tax deferral (such as 401K's) are one of the few tax advantaged programs to help people out. You can have similar investment inside and outside of a 401K, but the tax deferral over the course of time helps you to accumulate a much larger amount. Anyone that can run a spreadsheet can figure this out. For those uninformed, try running and analysis running the S&P 500 in a taxable account and then run it through a deferred account and see what you get.

Notice that the doom and gloom morons on this thread can't link to any facts.
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
WRONG answer. Even if the cash was in a taxable account, he doesn't have enough. Further, if he wanted to retire that early, he should have planned further in advance.

Also, if he would have avoided the 401K, he would have had to pay income tax instead of getting the tax deferral in the 401K. As such, his balance would have been considerably smaller than what he has now.

Tax deferral (such as 401K's) are one of the few tax advantaged programs to help people out. You can have similar investment inside and outside of a 401K, but the tax deferral over the course of time helps you to accumulate a much larger amount. Anyone that can run a spreadsheet can figure this out. For those uninformed, try running and analysis running the S&P 500 in a taxable account and then run it through a deferred account and see what you get.

Notice that the doom and gloom morons on this thread can't link to any facts.
Wrong again.

Since you lack common sense, I will repeat it in bold letters:

THE 401K WAS SIMPLY DESIGNED TO TAKE TRANSFER WEALTH FROM HARD WORKING PEOPLE, THE MASS PEOPLE OR MIDDLE CLASS OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, AND INTO THE HANDS OF THE MONEY CHANGERS OR ELITE OR UPPER CLASSES.

Good night and stay tuned, and what the Spirit advises me to say, I will pass on.

For now, just get out of bondage (debt) people. That is the most important thing you can do, financially. Getting a mortgage is bondage. Contributing to a 401k is bondage. Saving is smart, and should be done, because adversity hits us all, but the 401k is a terrible choice for a retirement investment, because it ties up money to long.

Get back to common sense, and don't let the money changers influence your emotions or feelings of greed that seem to want you to think that the 401k is so great. Ask the employees at Enron (many that wanted to sell there stock when the fire burned up the stock, but where shut out of selling), and others that lost out because of mismanagement of 401k funds...

Get out of slavery people. Learn to think. And don't get so emotional and caught up in the silly money making scheme, invented by the money changers!
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Wrong again.

Since you lack common sense, I will repeat it in bold letters:

THE 401K WAS SIMPLY DESIGNED TO TAKE TRANSFER WEALTH FROM HARD WORKING PEOPLE, THE MASS PEOPLE OR MIDDLE CLASS OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, AND INTO THE HANDS OF THE MONEY CHANGERS OR ELITE OR UPPER CLASSES.

Good night and stay tuned, and what the Spirit advises me to say, I will pass on.

For now, just get out of bondage (debt) people. That is the most important thing you can do, financially. Getting a mortgage is bondage. Contributing to a 401k is bondage. Saving is smart, and should be done, because adversity hits us all, but the 401k is a terrible choice for a retirement investment, because it ties up money to long.

Get back to common sense, and don't let the money changers influence your emotions or feelings of greed that seem to want you to think that the 401k is so great. Ask the employees at Enron (many that wanted to sell there stock when the fire burned up the stock, but where shut out of selling), and others that lost out because of mismanagement of 401k funds...

Get out of slavery people. Learn to think. And don't get so emotional and caught up in the silly money making scheme, invented by the money changers!
The problem is that the facts do not support your comment. First of all, the vast majority of money in 401Ks are from those in the top income tax bracket. The majority of American's are not saving enough, including the funding of their retirements.

Secondly, most companies now offer low cost index funds. Index funds outperform over 85% of managed funds and the costs are a fraction of those charged by managed funds. Take a look at the Vanguard index funds. I do not have a single fund that is over one quarter of one percent.

Third, you put money into retirement accounts for RETIREMENT, not to access when you are younger. That is why you build up an emergency account and also have money in taxable accounts for large purchases, etc. The tax deferment of a 401K/IRA is what allows you to build up a more substantial amount of money.

If you are not smart enough to know how to invest, then don't. However, your comments lack any substance or factual basis.
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The problem is that the facts do not support your comment. First of all, the vast majority of money in 401Ks are from those in the top income tax bracket. The majority of American's are not saving enough, including the funding of their retirements.

Secondly, most companies now offer low cost index funds. Index funds outperform over 85% of managed funds and the costs are a fraction of those charged by managed funds. Take a look at the Vanguard index funds. I do not have a single fund that is over one quarter of one percent.

Third, you put money into retirement accounts for RETIREMENT, not to access when you are younger. That is why you build up an emergency account and also have money in taxable accounts for large purchases, etc. The tax deferment of a 401K/IRA is what allows you to build up a more substantial amount of money.

If you are not smart enough to know how to invest, then don't. However, your comments lack any substance or factual basis.
Here is your biggest flaw: you think there is such a thing as RETIREMENT.

That is a lie from the pit of hell.

You are alive. You live. You work. You save. You do what you do. Then you die. We all die.

RETIREMENT IS A FARCE. YOU BOUGHT INTO IT. GET OUT OF THE MATRIX.
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Here is your biggest flaw: you think there is such a thing as RETIREMENT.

That is a lie from the pit of hell.

You are alive. You live. You work. You save. You do what you do. Then you die. We all die.

RETIREMENT IS A FARCE. YOU BOUGHT INTO IT. GET OUT OF THE MATRIX.
The FACT is that most people will retire. Some by choice, but many will have to due to physical limitations, disability or the inability to be hired due to age. Many jobs have a mandatory retirement age. People need to be prepared or face the consequences. Stop lying to people and feeding them misinformation, instead, rely on FACTS.

By the way, take a look at this article.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/01/reti...mag/index.html


Notice the comments on index funds, justvlike I have been saying all along.
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Here is your biggest flaw: you think there is such a thing as RETIREMENT.

That is a lie from the pit of hell.

You are alive. You live. You work. You save. You do what you do. Then you die. We all die.

RETIREMENT IS A FARCE. YOU BOUGHT INTO IT. GET OUT OF THE MATRIX.
The matrix is a movie. 401K savings and emergency savings are real life. Being bad at real life does not excuse you from saving like an adult. Sucks to your "spirit".

36 - single - $0 debt - Rent a home - Own everything in the home as well as the truck outside - $50k cash - $170k investments - Having lots of fun every weekend!!
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Cool site. Was trying to figure out where i lookd. other people make me feel bad, haha.

32 years old, wife stays home with our kids now. She has some pension from eight years of working but it will be a fraction of her salary as she will probably be out for the next seven years or so while we have kids and they get into school

$150k in 401k

I earn $122k per year but I make another $30k per year doing other misc work (tech based work, mostly)

I contribute 11% now to my 401k but I get a 3% match plus 5% per year in profit sharing

I'm somewhat concerned I'm not socking enough away. We have a house that is currently worth about $410k but we still owe $402k on it. So just barely above water on that. We bought a few years ago thinking the market was close to a low point (duh).
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The matrix is a movie. 401K savings and emergency savings are real life. Being bad at real life does not excuse you from saving like an adult. Sucks to your "spirit".

36 - single - $0 debt - Rent a home - Own everything in the home as well as the truck outside - $50k cash - $170k investments - Having lots of fun every weekend!!
Matrix means womb.
Do some study on the meaning of that movie and the meaning of the word womb, and you will understand concepts like bondage. Hopefully, with some study, you will be spared from continually making a fool out of yourself on this site.

As for the movie, it is arguably the best movie ever made, up there with 2001 Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, and The Godfather.
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Matrix means womb.
Do some study on the meaning of that movie and the meaning of the word womb, and you will understand concepts like bondage. Hopefully, with some study, you will be spared from continually making a fool out of yourself on this site.

As for the movie, it is arguably the best movie ever made, up there with 2001 Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, and The Godfather.
The best movie ever made???? Bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhaaaaaa
Reply With Quote
  #841  
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The best movie ever made???? Bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhaaaaaa
Let's back back to the serious discussion at hand.

Bondage, to a money system, that seeks to destroy people is a realty.

You people think that the 401k gives you financial security. You are wrong.

Being debt free

is financial security. Not tying up your money in a 401k is just common sense, smart. When the time is right, a good play is to buy a property, with cash, in an area with lower taxes. Buying property in high tax areas, is foolish.

Here is the most important thing I can impart to you carnal minded:

If you continue to play ball with these nasty money changers, you will suffer. The 401k is a scam, and if you can't see that, you have been taken. Hopefully, the youngsters will listen and stop contributing. Hopefully, the middle age will stop contributing and hope to make it to that age, when they can pull it out. Hopefully, the retired will be smart enough to pull all of their money out, and not count of this nonsense, that has their mind fixed on a glorious retirement, in retirement heaven. Wake up and learn where true eternal security lies, and it is not in a financial vehicle that seeks to destroy you.
Reply With Quote
  #842  
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Let's back back to the serious discussion at hand.

Bondage, to a money system, that seeks to destroy people is a realty.

You people think that the 401k gives you financial security. You are wrong.

Being debt free

is financial security. Not tying up your money in a 401k is just common sense, smart. When the time is right, a good play is to buy a property, with cash, in an area with lower taxes. Buying property in high tax areas, is foolish.

Here is the most important thing I can impart to you carnal minded:

If you continue to play ball with these nasty money changers, you will suffer. The 401k is a scam, and if you can't see that, you have been taken. Hopefully, the youngsters will listen and stop contributing. Hopefully, the middle age will stop contributing and hope to make it to that age, when they can pull it out. Hopefully, the retired will be smart enough to pull all of their money out, and not count of this nonsense, that has their mind fixed on a glorious retirement, in retirement heaven. Wake up and learn where true eternal security lies, and it is not in a financial vehicle that seeks to destroy you.

Look, we know that you don't invest in a 401K because you can't afford to do so due to your low income. You are also not smart enough to know how to invest in 401Ks, so it probably isn't worth your time.

In the end, you will suffer through retirement with your meager funds, and that is your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #843  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Look, we know that you don't invest in a 401K because you can't afford to do so due to your low income. You are also not smart enough to know how to invest in 401Ks, so it probably isn't worth your time.

In the end, you will suffer through retirement with your meager funds, and that is your choice.
Wow, are you really that dense?

SMART people don't invest in 401ks for many reasons, but the main reason is because they don't want to transfer their money into a long term investment that is tied up for so long. The same applies for a mortgage.

Your problem?
Simple.

You can't think for yourself.

it may be harsh, but it is true. you are just like those people that can't wait to watch American Idol, and think the pharmaceutical sales industry is a great JOB, and think that watching sports all weekend constitutes a good weekend.

Caught up in Matrix, tossed by the wind. Your foolish ways are going to catch up with you.

Advice: stop posting about things you know nothing about, because I really start making a fool out of you.
Reply With Quote
  #844  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Look, we know that you don't invest in a 401K because you can't afford to do so due to your low income. You are also not smart enough to know how to invest in 401Ks, so it probably isn't worth your time.

In the end, you will suffer through retirement with your meager funds, and that is your choice.

Leave this discussion to the adults, please.

You leaving nothing to support your argument. You also have little life experience because you make simple general statements, that are well accepted by...

People that can't think for themselves!

Wake up. Learn what truth really is. It has very little to do with finances. I know these concepts are hard for you to understand, because you grew up watching South Park and still think Family Guy is a great show and Seth McFarlene is really talented, right?
Reply With Quote
  #845  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Leave this discussion to the adults, please.

You leaving nothing to support your argument. You also have little life experience because you make simple general statements, that are well accepted by...

People that can't think for themselves!

Wake up. Learn what truth really is. It has very little to do with finances. I know these concepts are hard for you to understand, because you grew up watching South Park and still think Family Guy is a great show and Seth McFarlene is really talented, right?
Listen, junior, my 10 year old knows more about finances then you do. You have been given plenty of facts, but you just can't comprehend it. Here are a couple more:


http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VTSMX/f?t=VTSMX

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VFINX/f?t=VFINX


Take a look, junior. What are the expense rates of these funds? (Hint: less than a quarter of a percent) What are the long term return rates? (notice the returns include the downturn of 2008/2009).


I don't care to watch your silly shows (South Park, etc.). Sounds like you should be spending your time studying financial matters versus brain-dead shows.


I have said it over and over again. Stick to low cost index funds in your 401K in reduce risk, beat the returns of over 85% of managed funds, and keep your costs at rock bottom levels.


Once again, those are the FACTS.........and, your welcome (for the free education).
Reply With Quote
  #846  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Listen, junior, my 10 year old knows more about finances then you do. You have been given plenty of facts, but you just can't comprehend it. Here are a couple more:


http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VTSMX/f?t=VTSMX

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VFINX/f?t=VFINX


Take a look, junior. What are the expense rates of these funds? (Hint: less than a quarter of a percent) What are the long term return rates? (notice the returns include the downturn of 2008/2009).


I don't care to watch your silly shows (South Park, etc.). Sounds like you should be spending your time studying financial matters versus brain-dead shows.


I have said it over and over again. Stick to low cost index funds in your 401K in reduce risk, beat the returns of over 85% of managed funds, and keep your costs at rock bottom levels.


Once again, those are the FACTS.........and, your welcome (for the free education).
Stay ignorant then...

as a fool says in his heart.

You don't understand systems and controls and bondage, because you have not been set free. You mind is mush. Carnal.

My warnings are wasted, then. Time to move on again. Maybe, when a word comes to me, I will post again...

there are bigger fish to fry and people that will listen to the truth, and with those I will invest my time.
Reply With Quote
  #847  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Listen, junior, my 10 year old knows more about finances then you do. You have been given plenty of facts, but you just can't comprehend it. Here are a couple more:


http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VTSMX/f?t=VTSMX

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VFINX/f?t=VFINX


Take a look, junior. What are the expense rates of these funds? (Hint: less than a quarter of a percent) What are the long term return rates? (notice the returns include the downturn of 2008/2009).


I don't care to watch your silly shows (South Park, etc.). Sounds like you should be spending your time studying financial matters versus brain-dead shows.


I have said it over and over again. Stick to low cost index funds in your 401K in reduce risk, beat the returns of over 85% of managed funds, and keep your costs at rock bottom levels.


Once again, those are the FACTS.........and, your welcome (for the free education).
First, nothing is free. So, your thought process that suggests free education is silly.

Worse, your education is costly.

Do yourself and others a favor: stop spreading lies.
Reply With Quote
  #848  
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
First, nothing is free. So, your thought process that suggests free education is silly.

Worse, your education is costly.

Do yourself and others a favor: stop spreading lies.
Spreading lies? That is what you do. I happen to use FACTS, including links, which I noticed that you failed to do. So, as we can see, index funds, such as those examples provided, have produced excellent long term results over up and down markets, at a very low cost.

Once again, you are welcome for the free education.

Next.
Reply With Quote
  #849  
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Spreading lies? That is what you do. I happen to use FACTS, including links, which I noticed that you failed to do. So, as we can see, index funds, such as those examples provided, have produced excellent long term results over up and down markets, at a very low cost.

Once again, you are welcome for the free education.

Next.
DUDE, you are investing in a system that is corrupt and ready to implode.
You bond yourself to 30-40 years of servitude in the process, giving away your hard earned money to investments that seek to manipulate your wealth and hold you captive to a dream world that never comes.

Its not about index funds or tax breaks or "retirement"...

its about freedom.

You are missing the point of my posts and my position.

Learn to think for yourself. Start there. Turn off the TV. Stop watching men bouncing balls around, and start to learn how the world really works and why you do what you do.
Reply With Quote
  #850  
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Anonymous
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Well, how much do you have in your 401K and how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
DUDE, you are investing in a system that is corrupt and ready to implode.
You bond yourself to 30-40 years of servitude in the process, giving away your hard earned money to investments that seek to manipulate your wealth and hold you captive to a dream world that never comes.

Its not about index funds or tax breaks or "retirement"...

its about freedom.

You are missing the point of my posts and my position.

Learn to think for yourself. Start there. Turn off the TV. Stop watching men bouncing balls around, and start to learn how the world really works and why you do what you do.

The problem is that you make silly statements and can't back them with facts. Instead, we can look at the financial returns of various investments, along with the associated expenses and make decisions based on these FACTS. If you have even half a brain and willing to spend just a little time doing work yourself, you can figure this all out.

Freedom comes from have a strong financial plan and executing on the plan. Your money needs to serve a purpose and invested in ways that meet your needs. Discussing the use of retirement funds to address emergency issues or unemployment shows that you don't know how to plan and structure your funds to address specific needs.

As to your repeated comments on TV shows, you are throwing it in as a silly distraction. No one even brought up the subject. If you have a problem with watching television, then don't watch it. It seems that you are suffering from attention deficit disorder.

I think you need to start from the basics. Spend some time on the bogleheads forum and learn how to understand the fundamentals. Start with this one and then go to the threads on building portfolios:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/view...php?f=1&t=6211

Once again, you are welcome.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.