Is Baxter a good place to work?

Discussion in 'Baxter' started by Anonymous, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've heard that Baxter's working environment is "old fashion", low-tech, and unless you start with a job title of Manager and above, is extremely difficult to proof yourself. Any suggestions?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's putting it mildly. Very old fashion, behind the times in everything they do, sleep your way to the top environment, bullied if they don't get their way, no money in the budget unless it benefits upper management, you don't have to prove yourself you just need to agree with everything they cram down your throat. If you are able to come in as a manager, they will beat you down like Chris Brown until you cave. Products are a nightmare, FDA involved in everything they do, recalls, deaths, you name it.

There are other better options out there, this isn't one of them.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every company has strengths and weaknesses. You just described every company in US.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Too funny, Yup, you can be President, VP, in your other day jobs and be a Region Manager
    at Baxter all at the same time. Great place to work. A1 Job 1 quality people here.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hell to the fuckin NO!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, Baxter really can be a great place to work.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha ha. Love the negative junk and sweeping generalizations. Baxter is more on the conservative company which is important in the Medical Industry. If you work hard you will be rewarded. This company is better than most.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really, How long have you worked here???? How long? Have you ever looked around or asked others with similar jobs at other company's??? Have you? My guess is NO! And you have been here for over 20 plus years. I know. Me too. But, I have the insight and knowledge not to be stuck or think that this is the world "Baxter".
    Fear, threats and favoritism is the driving force internally and externally. Key words: ROI, unit, "put you on plan", conference call, spreadsheet, and meeting....Oh, and "Mustang Sally" that idiot from training who sings and thinks he's the boss....Please! Get rid of that one.....God! Pure idiots...PURE! I won't even say his name because you all know who I am talking about and it doesn't deserve spelling it out.
    We're a family??? Do you operate like that with your family at home? I don't. Trust, respect and consideration are the words a characters that don't exist in Baxter because of people like Mike Kosko, Joe Pudlo and David Bonderdude. Oh, and the idiot that heads up the training dept....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This quote is soo true, accurate and amusing, also want to add good employees are layoff or terminated all the time. Unrealistic demands and DEFINITELY BEAT YOU down worst than Chris Brown....lol... more like a slave in the movie roots.....(Definite whipping on the back)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If YOU ARE GOOD at back-stabbing, talking from both sides of the mouth, bullshiting, and not expressing your thoughts about things that may be improved... then Baxter can be a good fit. If you are considering the Bioscience division, be aware that resources are extremely limited, there's much mental/emotional constipation, and mediocrity is rewarded.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes. All true. My experience was dreadful. I gauge my response on how I was treated while on the job, day to day. My manager was very risk adverse and unsupportive. Other managers in my group were very elitist and demanding. That said, every job has its trap doors, but I was constantly amazed at how my peer set was keen to set me up for failure. Demands placed on me were unreasonable. My accomplishments and skills were typically dismissed or ignored completely. This can be said of any job-- in any company, so while Baxter was less then a pleasant place to work, for me, I attribute this to the organization I worked for within the bigger community of Baxter. Had I been given an opportunity to experience a longer career at Baxter with opportunities to move around, my story might be different. However, I would say that the many backwards and dated functions contributed greatly to my dissatisfaction. Working with accounting was a nightmare. The systems were backward and holed up in Costa Rica where a response was either lost in a black hole or v-e-r-y slow to come, if at all-- We would go through biz analysts almost weekly... budgeting/forecasting was a mysterious and pointless dance as policies and politics would change without notice/explanation on a VERY frequent basis. Rarely would even a primer on how to work a new line of process be offered. I did so much back peddling on getting the most simplest of accounting tasks completed it was ridiculous.

I can only advise prospective candidates who are hoping to be hired by Baxter to ask some important questions at interview: 1) Why is the position vacant? Did someone get bumped, transferred or promoted? 2) If the opening is newly created position, but sure to find out if resources and management support truly exists to make the job successful for you; 3) What are the markers for success in the job and how is management prepared too support you; 4) How much authority will you have to initiate change; 5) Is change and innovation even encouraged in the department/division; 6) Will you be able to re-evaluate the goals and responsibilities of you job after 90 days and negotiate a revised job description; 7) How heavy a burden will "fitting into" the social network at your site play into your success; 8) What exactly is it about your CV that attracted Baxter to you and are they prepared to actually let you do what you were hired to do? Above all, run away fast if the job you are being considered for is one of those "combo" positions where they want you to wear two hats because they were too cheap to ad the headcount... this inevitably always leads to failure as you'll find that one job will demand 90% of your time and the 2nd job will have to be addressed in afterhours/weekends (unpaid, by the way.) Anyway—mine is a sour grapes story, I admit—yours might be different and I hope it is. Go into the job with an open mind, but be prepared for a rough 1st year.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes if you want to have affairs with other reps at national meetings and keep them on the down low. we are pretty good at keeping it quiet

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with all the bad rep. It seems “B” carries a history of an authoritarian organization where change, innovation and freedom to dissent (and improve) are nowhere to be seen. People feel like captives and the managers that survive are those atoned with the dry and opportunistic image of the higher ups. I have hear about “B” and would not like to work there even if they came to my home and tried to drag me out. Past peers holding management positions at “B” were the ones that were feared and despised in the previous organizations and at “B” they found their safe haven. It's an organization to stress your hear to death.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Poster #12 is dead-on with their reply. There are plenty of great people that work for Baxter - unfortunately, none of them are in senior management. The "leaders" of Baxter are just plain snarky. I was in a meeting just recently where two VP's were discussing how successful the division had become and referred to the patients as "bags of money". Certainly nothing to be proud of - even in jest. I need to get out and find another job - but with this economy, it's difficult.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Steer clear! Upper Management is self absorbed in their club for survival. The individuals that do the work receive feedback that nothing is ever good enough. Upper Management does not manage according to the people they supposedly support and develop, they dictate. By the way, who provides upper management feedback? Don’t think too long. The answer is no one. Personal development is also something that looks good to the public, but doesn’t happen. The “club” has their chosen ones. At one point it was good, it is now the worst place you could imagine. Lies, Lies, Lies. Get out or stay away. Can you say backstabbers?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must be real new/green or part of the upper management click. If not, beware. The Talent Management meetings are sickening. Good Luck. Everyone I know, their talent was not rewarded. Fact of the matter is that the people reporting to upper management know more than them. They need to get rid of the "Good Old Boys" in management; nothing but a waste of sergeants.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would suggest you get glasses because things are smokey in your vision. Give it time, you'll get feedback that was a made up story backed up by the "new HR team".

Interesting that our General Counsel left due to discrepencies. Also it is interesting that the VP of HR left due to disagreement of how Baxter is mistreating their employees.

Open you eyes and your mind. Some day you will look at this as a gift.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The great people are being pushed out because they are finally challenging feedback on Perfrmace Objectives that never seem to encounter what the job requires. Feedback is quaranteed to put you on a plan. Note...feedback can not be given to anyone regarding your manager. What a snake pit! Clean out the VPs and Managers that are reactive instead of proactive. The lower man always takes the hit. It would be great if HR actually knew their jobs and worked. They are the happy go lucky backstabbers.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You go Post 9...
    Disfunctional Family and Star Search; upper management is disgusting!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You go Post 9...
    Oops! Things have been so dysfunctional for so long, you begin to have a lack of funtion yourself. Dysfunctinal Family and Star Search; upper management is disgusting!