for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Dental Reps > Dental Reps General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Anonymous

Talking Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

I am considering applying to Dentsply and I was wondering if they are a good company to start with coming from pharmaceutical sales or just three years sales experience in general??

For a first job in the medical supply/ dental supply arena - Is it a good option??

They said you would make about 30 a year in bonus with a decent salary.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I am considering applying to Dentsply and I was wondering if they are a good company to start with coming from pharmaceutical sales or just three years sales experience in general??

For a first job in the medical supply/ dental supply arena - Is it a good option??

Thanks
Yeah, sure Dentsply is a great company to work for. If you like micromanagement, sales goals that are constantly changing but never quite in reach, new products that take forever and then fail when they hit the market, HR that spends more time putting employees on "plans" than developing you. The only people who make bonus and a decent salary are the boys in the home office. Yeah great company. Do a search on this board and then settle down for a long night's worth of perusing. Talk to your dentist.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Anonymous

Dentsply is a great company. Period. Anyone who says different is full of it. You have to work hard not to be successful at Dentsply. If you are half decent...you can get promoted through the ranks and experience a career path that many are not as fortunate to have at other companies. Again it is a great company...not perfect...but great. Most of the posters on this board are below the norm performers. If you want advice talk to winners. And Dentsply is a great choice.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Dentsply is a great company. Period. Anyone who says different is full of it. You have to work hard not to be successful at Dentsply. If you are half decent...you can get promoted through the ranks and experience a career path that many are not as fortunate to have at other companies. Again it is a great company...not perfect...but great. Most of the posters on this board are below the norm performers. If you want advice talk to winners. And Dentsply is a great choice.
All you have to do is look at the dozens and dozens of people who have left the company, either voluntarily or not, from all ranks (field sales, inside, senior management, etc) in all divisions and you can see in an instant the company does not value it's employees. It's an insult to label them "below the norm performers." The poster is correct, if you are half-decent you get promoted. If you are engaged, competent, intelligent, committed.....you're not wanted and they'll find a way to weed you out.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

Thanks
Only if you ccan get a positon on a Somolia pirate ship
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Anonymous

Sniff...sniff. "dozens and dozens who left the company"...LOL.

How about the thousands that are still proud to work there. How about the thousands that had outstanding careers are now retired or somewhere else. How about the thousands of shareholders who have made tons of money from Dentsply. How about the thousands of dentists who use its products. How about the millions of patients who's lives are improved because of its products.

Get real! Sorry you had a bad experience...but maybe...just maybe you should look in the mirror and not point fingers at the company the housed and fed you. Dentsply is its employees. We are proud...we are strong!

Great company to start a career at!!! Not the only one...but one of the best in Dental. Anyone he says differently does not know what they are talking about and/or is very angry.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Yeah, sure Dentsply is a great company to work for. If you like micromanagement, sales goals that are constantly changing but never quite in reach, new products that take forever and then fail when they hit the market, HR that spends more time putting employees on "plans" than developing you. The only people who make bonus and a decent salary are the boys in the home office. Yeah great company. Do a search on this board and then settle down for a long night's worth of perusing. Talk to your dentist.
BWHAHAHAHAHAH...boo hoo and your pity party too, loser.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Anonymous

Dentsply is a good company to start out with. It is not a company where you can make a long term sales career. But if you are looking to break into Medical sales, Dentsply is a good place to start. Be prepared to deal with unreasonable quotas, micromanagement, and a terrible amount of paperwork. However, if you can perform under these conditions, you should set yourself up for a much better position with a better company.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

How about the thousands that are still proud to work there. How about the thousands that had outstanding careers are now retired or somewhere else. How about the thousands of shareholders who have made tons of money from Dentsply. How about the thousands of dentists who use its products. How about the millions of patients who's lives are improved because of its products.

Get real! Sorry you had a bad experience...but maybe...just maybe you should look in the mirror and not point fingers at the company the housed and fed you. Dentsply is its employees. We are proud...we are strong!

Great company to start a career at!!! Not the only one...but one of the best in Dental. Anyone he says differently does not know what they are talking about and/or is very angry.
Obviously posted by someone in the HR dept who doesn't have a clue what happens outside of their office. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid until it's your turn. It's arrogance and ignorance such as yours that makes Dentsply's treatment of its employees so unbelievable. Just remember that every terminated employee is a seed throughout the industry. Distributers, competitors, and yes,even the dental professionals know about "the evil empire."

Dentsply didn't "house or feed" me although it felt as though I spent 24/7 "on the job." I know of no other major company, in or outside of the industry, that generates the high turnover rates that Dentsply experiences year after year after year. So either those folks in HR can't hire the right people or something is terribly wrong.

But keep drinking the Kool-Aid. If that's what helps you sleep at night.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

"Look in the mirror" hey what a great idea. You know what I saw? Someone who couldn't stand to see associates berated in public by managers, someone who was unwilling to "fudge the numbers" so that Sales Mgmt looked good, someone who had trouble rearranging their personal schedule to acommodate a manager who started meetings at 5pm or expected me to come in on Saturday, someone who had a hard time lieing to customers about the questionable quality of the latest new product that was way behind schedule. Am I a loser? You betcha. I lost my soul working for Dentsply.

And you're right, the shareholders have made tons of money. Bret, Chris....and the rest of the boys on Philadelphia Street who accept millions in compensation while terminated sales reps are pursued with non-competes and others are denied unemployment compensation.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
"Look in the mirror" hey what a great idea. You know what I saw? Someone who couldn't stand to see associates berated in public by managers, someone who was unwilling to "fudge the numbers" so that Sales Mgmt looked good, someone who had trouble rearranging their personal schedule to acommodate a manager who started meetings at 5pm or expected me to come in on Saturday, someone who had a hard time lieing to customers about the questionable quality of the latest new product that was way behind schedule. Am I a loser? You betcha. I lost my soul working for Dentsply.

And you're right, the shareholders have made tons of money. Bret, Chris....and the rest of the boys on Philadelphia Street who accept millions in compensation while terminated sales reps are pursued with non-competes and others are denied unemployment compensation.
So when were you fired?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
So when were you fired?
You think that that only way someone would be "stupid" enough to leave Dentsply is if they're fired? Hah! Wake up and smell the coffee. Dentsply is a revolving door. The lucky ones are those of us who know this is no way to spend a life and get out. Ask around bud. Virtually everyone in the industry knows someone who used to work at Dentsply. Operative words: used to.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Anonymous

No, I don't think everyone leaves only when fired. But, when were you fired?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

OMG! What total bullshit!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Quote:

Hey, hey. Looks like Dentsply is hiring the next batch of clueless 'winners." Must mean they've cleaned house.........again!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Anonymous

Looks like Sue from HR checked in to try and slow the bleeding. I particularly like the statement "housed and fed." Um, were the employess doing anything to earn their pay or was it just given to them? If DENTSPLY is it's employees, then DENTSPLY is in a lot of trouble because is miserable.

I would love an explanation to the 2010 growth expectation of 5.5%. On what planet does management think this is attainable for anyone with a quota higher than $500K? Last year the dental market grew at 1%. DNA grew at .6% compliments of the Cavitron 1+1. I guess you guys are pissed that less than 10% of the sales force hit quota in '09, so you're turning up the dial to make sure it doesn't happen in '10. We'll all enjoy working for our base salaries this year while executing played out sales programs, It Takes Two initiatives with retail reps who could give a crap, and satisfying our daily Siebel click requirement. The goods news is we will all look forward to the growth number being lowered in June/July to 4.5% because management understands (air quotes) how hard the sales force has it and wants us to know they are looking out for us.

By the way, I would love an explanation as to why Sales is paid on retail dollars and management is paid on wholesale? Why are we in the truest sense punished by our retail partners (air quotes again) with all their price discounting? Start paying the managment on retail dollars only or Sales on wholesale dollars only and let's see how this changes the approach to territory management.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Anonymous

Well said.

Management is paid on Wholesale because they have a better chance of forcing out inventory to the dealers each quarter. Once the dealers are loaded to the hilt, it's up to the field sales reps to pull it through. That's always been the challenge. Easy to pay the dealers to warehouse the inventory. Harder to get the dentists to buy it.

Good luck. June/July is a long way off.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Anonymous

You guys are screwed when I left product managers and merchandisers were also paid on wholesale. Nobody cares about retail. Raise th eprice sell less units but market share looks good
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

is ATC ever going to work?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Anonymous

it will work your relationships and commisions into the ground
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Anonymous

What type of problems are they having with the ATC now. I thought they had all that crap behind them.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
What type of problems are they having with the ATC now. I thought they had all that crap behind them.
The ATC was yet another bad idea that an overzealous management team forced out (like the Caries ID.) Everyone, and I repeat, everyone who was associated with the launch of the ATC is gone. Some were forced out and others left with their self-respect intact. But they're all gone. Only the mistake that is ATC lives on!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Always good to see DENTSPLY taking care of its top producers. CFO Jellison handed $200K+ in stock, COO Clark gets $350K+ in stock on 2/4/10, both exercise the options the following day. This following a disasterous 2009 performance. Must be nice. As for the rest of us, we just need to shut up and work even harder and be thankful we have a job. Sales people receiving commission? Thats crazy talk. Be happy for the 1-2% slap in the face merit increase. When the jobs market and economy improve, DENTSPLY will lose 50%+ of it's sales reps. We've all had enough.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Always good to see DENTSPLY taking care of its top producers. CFO Jellison handed $200K+ in stock, COO Clark gets $350K+ in stock on 2/4/10, both exercise the options the following day. This following a disasterous 2009 performance. Must be nice. As for the rest of us, we just need to shut up and work even harder and be thankful we have a job. Sales people receiving commission? Thats crazy talk. Be happy for the 1-2% slap in the face merit increase. When the jobs market and economy improve, DENTSPLY will lose 50%+ of it's sales reps. We've all had enough.
Hmm If you're predicting that 50% of the sales force will go, things must be getting better. Turnover has always been higher.

I wonder if the original poster ever got an answer to their question?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
No merit increases were already announced for 2010 and yet I am to grow my territory 5.5% in a flat at best market. Looks like more than 50% will be put on a plan by the end of Q1.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Anonymous

my first job post pharma. should of stayed in pharma. worked in pro, had the largest fucking territory in the company. was spread way too thin and worked5 times as hard compared with someone who had some small territory and made the same. it led to a personality conflict with my boss at the time who is now in york in some area director's position. after they let me go, they only then decided to do what i preached about and cut the territory in half and hired two reps to cover my old territory. after that firing it retarded my career, but luckily was able to recover. got out of medical alltogether in oil and gas sales in houston and I hve to say I haven't been any happier and make more money than it did at dentsply while wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
my first job post pharma. should of stayed in pharma. worked in pro, had the largest fucking territory in the company. was spread way too thin and worked5 times as hard compared with someone who had some small territory and made the same. it led to a personality conflict with my boss at the time who is now in york in some area director's position. after they let me go, they only then decided to do what i preached about and cut the territory in half and hired two reps to cover my old territory. after that firing it retarded my career, but luckily was able to recover. got out of medical alltogether in oil and gas sales in houston and I hve to say I haven't been any happier and make more money than it did at dentsply while wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt.
Good for you. Glad to hear that you not only got out but are happier for it. Amazing that they continue to make the necessary corrections only after people leave. Imagine what might have happened if they'd bother to listen instead of forcing you out.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Anonymous

Dave good luck with cavitron.........LOL should of taken the buy out
Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Quote:
Shows how much you know. This should have happened a long time ago. It's just a means of getting him over to Professional to finally straighten things out. Goodbye Roger, Goodbye Steve, Goodbye Potter.......hello Dave!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Anonymous

If Nick who was hands on could not fix it no way will hands off Dave do anything
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
If Nick who was hands on could not fix it no way will hands off Dave do anything

That;s pretty fun. Nick was "hands on" with Midwest not Cavitron (thank god.) He totally f'd that product line up and was sent packing.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Anonymous

Any reasons why the abundance people who are recruiting for this company beg you to interview? Also, why are there so many posts for the same job by Dentsply Corporate almost daily? Are they that desperate for talent, or do the really think they are that great where they can get that diamond in the rough rep? IMO any company that cattle calls is not a great one to work for.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Quote:
Any reasons why the abundance people who are recruiting for this company beg you to interview? Also, why are there so many posts for the same job by Dentsply Corporate almost daily? Are they that desperate for talent, or do the really think they are that great where they can get that diamond in the rough rep? IMO any company that cattle calls is not a great one to work for.
"To every thing turn, turn, turn. There is a season turn, turn, turn." That's the Dentsply way.

Dentsply started doing "cattle calls" a year or so ago because they have so many freaking people who have to weigh in on a hiring decision that it's impossible to get someone in and have them see everybody who needs to weigh in.

You should ask the recruiter how many people he/she has placed and how many are still at Dentsply. Quite a few recruiters know that once they place someone at Dentsply they'll never get that person again once they're ousted and find out what the company was really like.

And as far as why there are so many openings........why do you think?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
That;s pretty fun. Nick was "hands on" with Midwest not Cavitron (thank god.) He totally f'd that product line up and was sent packing.
Nick left on his own. So did Steve C and so will Dave after he finds out nobody is going to work with him
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Nick left on his own. So did Steve C and so will Dave after he finds out nobody is going to work with him
oh right. they move the midwest team to Chicago and Nick is asked to leave. If he was so great, strange they didn't find another position for him in the company. Same for Steve. Lots of years with the company, ran Tulsa, Canada and Professional and he leaves on his own? Dave will never leave on his own. He'll adapt and do whatever the company asks him to do. whatever.

Nick's sitting at home watching the sap run from the maple trees. And Steve is sitting home watching the unemployment rate rise. But yet they left on their own. yeah. right.

If you believe that, then I have a handpiece to sell you.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Buy out?????? Is that what they are calling unemployment now days?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
No merit increases were already announced for 2010 and yet I am to grow my territory 5.5% in a flat at best market. Looks like more than 50% will be put on a plan by the end of Q1.
If this company operated in the highly competitive medical industry, it would seize to exist. Dollars on Dollars sitting there and the best you can come up with is a stupid savings program? Get with the program. Time to do a little house cleaning in the corporate towers. Oh I forgot, there busy looking at Siebel usage. Give me a frickin break.

By the way, good luck growing a dental territory in this economy at 5.5%. Oh I forgot Caulk reps. have SmartCem 2 and Pro have ATC. It should be ok.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Shows how much you know. This should have happened a long time ago. It's just a means of getting him over to Professional to finally straighten things out. Goodbye Roger, Goodbye Steve, Goodbye Potter.......hello Dave!
Hey Dave the Cavitron numbers suck whats up?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: Dentsply- Good company to start out with???

Quote:

How about the 12 people who were let go Friday from Midwest with 1 hour notice? Some of them had been with the company for years and did great work. Weren't even on a plan. Just let go. Yeah, proud wonderful company. Best in dental.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Anonymous

12 people who did not contribute to the division. Others were already doing thier job but not collecting two checks. Get rid of the dead weight at that division and come out with a decent product.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
12 people who did not contribute to the division. Others were already doing thier job but not collecting two checks. Get rid of the dead weight at that division and come out with a decent product.
What a crock. Wait until it's your turn and see how you feel.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
What a crock. Wait until it's your turn and see how you feel.
Yeah, What an A hole. They will probably get there turn also.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Anonymous

Dentsply is shedding people right and left, almost every week. And yet they claim they've never had any lay-offs. Business must be really down. The job boards are saturated with postings for that dream job at Dentsply. Maybe if you think you have a job at Dentsply, then you really are dreaming. If you cut enough Indians, one day the Chiefs will have to actually work themselves.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Yeah, What an A hole. They will probably get there turn also.
I am one of the people who was doing double the work and yes it is a sad day when people are let go. In this ase the company was doing the right thing. I have heard more cuts to come by the end of May.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Anonymous

Good company but over managed is what I hear in the field.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I am one of the people who was doing double the work and yes it is a sad day when people are let go. In this ase the company was doing the right thing. I have heard more cuts to come by the end of May.
I'm curious: if you say you were doing double the work, then why is it a good thing that people are being let go? Doesn't that put more strain on those left behind? Are you saying the terminated folks weren't pulling their weight?

I know from firsthand experience that Dentsply has a lot of deadwood. There are people still employed who should have been let go long ago. But the names I've heard were not among that group. Seems like it's the same old story: rock the boat and out you go.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Anonymous

aRE THEY HIRING RIGHT NOW?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I'm curious: if you say you were doing double the work, then why is it a good thing that people are being let go? Doesn't that put more strain on those left behind? Are you saying the terminated folks weren't pulling their weight?

I know from firsthand experience that Dentsply has a lot of deadwood. There are people still employed who should have been let go long ago. But the names I've heard were not among that group. Seems like it's the same old story: rock the boat and out you go.
no way were they pulling their weight. Now the company wil reward those who are doing the work and getting things done. Still more deadwood to be let go by the end of may
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
no way were they pulling their weight. Now the company wil reward those who are doing the work and getting things done. Still more deadwood to be let go by the end of may
No way bub. That's way out of character for Dentsply. The ones who are able to get things done are pushed and pushed and pushed until they burn out and are then shown the door. Dentsply rewards those who stick with the status quo and don't make waves. Bret's compensation is obscene. Same with Chris.

But you keep hoping and dreaming.

With so many people let go over the past 12 months, it will be interesting (and sad) to see who they show the door in May. But then, considering how busy Camilla is in HR, I'm sure she's brought in quite a bevy of "perfect people" Gotta keep those recruiters busy too.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Anonymous

great not only do I have an unrealistic growth quota but now i am to sell another divisions product.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: