for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Synthes
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Anonymous

Default Question about Ken Carpenter

I heard a rumor that KC has no formal education. If that is true how did he get hired in the first place as Synthes strict hiring standards require a college degree or has the policy changed? I'm not questioning his competency, in fact I'm impressed how far he has climbed in the company considering his modest academic record.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Wow that certainly helps explain the blue collar attitude. Maybe he should have hit the books a little more and the weights a little less.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Wow that certainly helps explain the blue collar attitude. Maybe he should have hit the books a little more and the weights a little less.
KC actually does have an undergrad, and also did some time at Wharton. Maybe you ought to spend less time on this board.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Anonymous

Up your ass Gennett... You stay off these boards or the rampage will start up on you again.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
KC actually does have an undergrad, and also did some time at Wharton. Maybe you ought to spend less time on this board.
And where is that undergrad degree actually from? You conveniently left that key detail out but made sure you got the Wharton part in. Truth is Ken took some community college classes, definitely not transferrable to Wharton. "Did some time at Wharton" really means he attended some over priced management seminar paid for by the co. To insinuate he was accepted by Wharton is very misleading.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Anonymous

Truth is Synthes has been dumbing down its sales force for years hiring degree-less o.r. techs, etc. The temptation to hire for case coverage from day one is too compelling. Carpenter, though, might be the first to make VP without a degree. It's a hell of a gamble for a $1 billion+ division but time will tell if the risky experiment pays off. At least Gennett is gone.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Anonymous

Gennett made a habit of keeping his butt buddies employed. Dave Wholey went from being a bell boy in Aspen (Gennett met him on a boys club Ski trip). Wholey is not only a tool on a personal level he's a moron when it comes to the products. Yep he's perfect for Synthes Management.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Anonymous

Gennett couldn't hire worth a crap. He always surrounded by cigar lighters and tools. He honestly couldn'tick the winning 6 numbers in the lottery even if they gave him the right numbers.Wholey was f--- clueless. Gennett son was a dope smoking dullard who probably was held back a few grades in school.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Anonymous

KC does not have and undergrad, he went to a JC for 3 years. Look him up on Linkdn!!! I'm sure he's not worried about it as much as some...
Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Anonymous

Grumble Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:
KC does not have and undergrad, he went to a JC for 3 years. Look him up on Linkdn!!! I'm sure he's not worried about it as much as some...
Why should he worry? It's so easy a caveman could do it! By the way, 3 years at a JC? Aren't they 2 year programs?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Anonymous

"Walk the Talk"? Can I get an "amen" my brothers? This is bush league leadership at its best. Please somebody poke me in the eye and awaken me from this bad dream. The organ grinding, snake handling evangelical-ism really isn't working.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Why should he worry? It's so easy a caveman could do it! By the way, 3 years at a JC? Aren't they 2 year programs?
wtf is your problem? i happen to be one of globus's leading reps, as well as a proud cromagnum-american, and i bet your sapien-sized cajones aren't big enough to talk that smack to my face!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Anonymous

RM's are leaving SC's will too...this is bad

Quote:
"Walk the Talk"? Can I get an "amen" my brothers? This is bush league leadership at its best. Please somebody poke me in the eye and awaken me from this bad dream. The organ grinding, snake handling evangelical-ism really isn't working.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Anonymous

It's pitiful. This co. no longer resembles the fierce and dominant market leader it once was. All signs point to the ineptitude of upper management. Gennett's death grip has taking its toll. It may not be possible to turn this thing around but be sure it can never happen until he is gone for good.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
It's pitiful. This co. no longer resembles the fierce and dominant market leader it once was. All signs point to the ineptitude of upper management. Gennett's death grip has taking its toll. It may not be possible to turn this thing around but be sure it can never happen until he is gone for good.
The poison from Gennett still runs deep from his years at them helm due to all of the minny-me clones that he has put in place over the years. Corruption breeds corruption. There would have to be a complete purge of "all" of his gang of thugs to right the ship. Wyss would have to be as ruthless as Gennett and "friends" have been to get it done. Everyone with a conscience knows who they are, but Wyss won't do it. He has been looking the other way for far too long and he no longer has the will to do it. It would require far too much time and energy for him to be hands-on enough to get it done. It may be too late and he doesn't need the money nor the aggravation. Sad....it was once a great place to be.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Anonymous

Im sure Carpenter is worried about you fanny bandits worrying about his education. He is the VP of sales for a 2 billion dollar company, what difference does it make. We are kicking everyones ass in the market. 6% growth in 09, worst economic recession of our lives??? eat it, suck it, and get some!

On another note, thank you HI for selling out to possibly the least aggressive sales force in the history of device sales, my Distal radius number is up 400%
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Anonymous

foolish, foolish post...........

Quote:
Im sure Carpenter is worried about you fanny bandits worrying about his education. He is the VP of sales for a 2 billion dollar company, what difference does it make. We are kicking everyones ass in the market. 6% growth in 09, worst economic recession of our lives??? eat it, suck it, and get some!

On another note, thank you HI for selling out to possibly the least aggressive sales force in the history of device sales, my Distal radius number is up 400%
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
C'mon dude, that's the best you got? Carpenter is a breath of fresh air. Looks out for SC's and is looking to build new partnerships with up-and-coming docs. Don't post about shit you know nothing about.

Stop searching for answers as to why you can't grow your territory. You're a phony bro. Time to hang 'em up.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
C'mon dude, that's the best you got? Carpenter is a breath of fresh air. Looks out for SC's and is looking to build new partnerships with up-and-coming docs. Don't post about shit you know nothing about.

Stop searching for answers as to why you can't grow your territory. You're a phony bro. Time to hang 'em up.
Its been said before and its worth saying again - KC isn't the problem nor is he the solution. The problems pre-exist him and run much deeper. He would be smart to distance himself from the RG cigar club. Time to be his own man. As the turmoil mounts eventually Wyss will dig deeper and put an end to the RG thug regime. Those standing too close will get sucked out with the tumor.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Anonymous

Rolleyes Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:

Dude, you miss the whole point. KC's not too bright and we are in deep shit. We need more than charismatic cheerleading to get us out of this mess. Not his fault but it's happening on his watch. 6% growth may be the year he brags about to his daddy babies one day.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Anonymous

Not true and here are the facts:

1) synthes still pays the highest market rate for commission by a ton. Most companies are signing people up for 8 and even 6%, we are over double that. That has never changed, and carpenter knows that would be the straw that broke camels back. will never change
2)the 2 column va distal radius plate is by far the superior plate on the market now. It combines all technologies that are currently available in the market and adds features to them that are unique and ahead of the industry
3)the TFN is the #1 selling nail in the country
4)Synthes understands that trimming management is the correct way to downsize this company.
5)the company focus is shifting back to personal relationships with customers which will trump any discount, contract, or new technology

Carpenter might not be able to calculate a PEG ratio, but he understands that the customer makes the final decision about what gets purchased and he knows how to succesfully deal with them. Just sit back and watch, this time next year Synthes will be at double growth rate, and will be a top 3 player in shoulder arthroplasty to boot!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:

1) synthes still pays the highest market rate for commission by a ton. Most companies are signing people up for 8 and even 6%, we are over double that. That has never changed, and carpenter knows that would be the straw that broke camels back. will never change
2)the 2 column va distal radius plate is by far the superior plate on the market now. It combines all technologies that are currently available in the market and adds features to them that are unique and ahead of the industry
4)Synthes understands that trimming management is the correct way to downsize this company.
5)the company focus is shifting back to personal relationships with customers which will trump any discount, contract, or new technology

Carpenter might not be able to calculate a PEG ratio, but he understands that the customer makes the final decision about what gets purchased and he knows how to succesfully deal with them. Just sit back and watch, this time next year Synthes will be at double growth rate, and will be a top 3 player in shoulder arthroplasty to boot!
You are completely dilusional. Why does the company need to downsize if it's going to grow double digits next year? Your pathetic logic suggests you are a senior manager/VP. If so, downsizing should start with you. Do the math, to grow 10% you need like $150 million in new sales next year. Unless Synthes makes a big acquisition (not likely) there is no way it will grow like that with the current product line. Besides discounts are increasing and competition is heating up. Top 3 in shoulder arthroplasty....please.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Anonymous

Has Joe Gaynor been fired yet?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

You appear to be an insider. So which managers are about to be "trimmed"?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

Since when did Synthes shift away from personal relationships with customers that if now needs to shift back?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Anonymous

who's about to be trimmed? apparently you havent been paying attention, lost 5 tenured managers in last 6 months. They hired too many too fast, gennett's idea, and now its normalizing.

150 million in new sales isnt unreasonable. thats a rounding error. Dont hate cuz you cant duplicate son. and dont call it a comeback.....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Anonymous

Chose to post here because this guys post was the worst. KC is in over his head, he is not recruiting new docs, watch, its not his decision. The company decides along with other docs. There will be no big changes. Synthes is getting out priced and everyone has a locking plate and nails are becoming very equal. Everything is coming down to price and relationships. The only way to win is more reps... where needed only!!!!! But more RM's and AVP's are needed!!!!! Reps can't spend any money and every surgeon wants attention. Synthes is not cutting RM's and Synthes is not choosing to reduce the number of RM's. The RM's are leaving! Do you understand that? IF you lose the RM's reps will follow. We are watching it happen.

Quote:

Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

This post was written by KC or TR. "That's the best you got?" sounds like KC and "bro" sounds like KC or TR. How hilarious these guys feel the need to respond. Relationships do matter and you 2 dudes ain't got 'em. DG and PC run circles around you with their relationships. Your managers are quitting YOU! Reps are next...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
wtf is your problem? i happen to be one of globus's leading reps, as well as a proud cromagnum-american, and i bet your sapien-sized cajones aren't big enough to talk that smack to my face!
"Talking smack" is another Carpenter-ism. Educated people don't use that kind of language. Maybe you need to learn how to Talk the Talk before you Walk the Talk!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
who's about to be trimmed? apparently you havent been paying attention, lost 5 tenured managers in last 6 months. They hired too many too fast, gennett's idea, and now its normalizing.

150 million in new sales isnt unreasonable. thats a rounding error. Dont hate cuz you cant duplicate son. and dont call it a comeback.....

"Dont hate cuz you cant duplicate son." KC, I think you better start working and stop posting on Cafepharma.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Anonymous

Party Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

basically it boils down to hopsitals wanting to standardize. They all own Synthes already, their staffs are familiar with it, most of their docs trained on it. When you factor in the cost of bringing in a tray, washing it, wrapping it, the math doesnt work out to use anything else. Synthes is here to stay "bro" and it wouldnt matter if a monkey were running this company, the groundwork was laid long ago, so enjoy your 2 years at 84k, you will not have the 850k in sales to back it up when it runs out, but I hear medartis is dying to get someone to come sell its knock off of the 1984 Zimmer Forte Distal Radius plate when your guaruntee does dry up!!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
basically it boils down to hopsitals wanting to standardize. They all own Synthes already, their staffs are familiar with it, most of their docs trained on it. When you factor in the cost of bringing in a tray, washing it, wrapping it, the math doesnt work out to use anything else. Synthes is here to stay "bro" and it wouldnt matter if a monkey were running this company, the groundwork was laid long ago, so enjoy your 2 years at 84k, you will not have the 850k in sales to back it up when it runs out, but I hear medartis is dying to get someone to come sell its knock off of the 1984 Zimmer Forte Distal Radius plate when your guaruntee does dry up!!
Be careful. GM had the same atitude and look at them now. Hospitals are discovering their massive stockpiles of Synthes inventory and are now angry and want their money back. They've been hideously oversold inventory they don't need and will never use all so Synthes could lock them in and hit them hard with with big price increases. That is what happened when they put their trust in the only company that can provide virtual standardization. Hospitals are looking for savings now more than ever and they know rewarding Synthes with more of their business isn't going to get them where they want to go. Synthes is here to stay but a little less arrogance and a little more empathy might be a good place to start. Medartis isn't a company Synthes needs to worry about. If you are worried about them you are looking over the wrong shoulder.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Anonymous

GM?? wtf are you talking about? Did Synthes start a retirement pension or start providing healthcare for the entire states of mich, ohio, and wisconsin that I've missed? that's the ONLY problem GM has ever had, they've killed it in the market and will continue to kill it bc they put out good products, and provide good service.

As far as oversold inventories, Im sorry, I didnt realize that Synthes had become a not-for-profit humanitarian entity. Last time I checked they were in business to make money, more appropriately to make their shareholders money, which is only done if you sell more product more often. If a hospital buys more stock than they need that is a hospital issue, not a synthes issue. If Synthes had been guilty of any wrongdoing in any of the volumous cases you seem to know so much about, why havent they ever been taken to court over them??? Maybe that's why synthes has been killing it for soo long bc when hospitals try to buy from the competition, they tell them that they really dont need to keep their stuff on the shelf...ha

Just face up to the reality, there are no companies out there that are willing to spend the time and resources worrying about trauma, and thats why Synthes will remain at the top indefinately...

People love to hate!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
GM?? wtf are you talking about? Did Synthes start a retirement pension or start providing healthcare for the entire states of mich, ohio, and wisconsin that I've missed? that's the ONLY problem GM has ever had, they've killed it in the market and will continue to kill it bc they put out good products, and provide good service.

As far as oversold inventories, Im sorry, I didnt realize that Synthes had become a not-for-profit humanitarian entity. Last time I checked they were in business to make money, more appropriately to make their shareholders money, which is only done if you sell more product more often. If a hospital buys more stock than they need that is a hospital issue, not a synthes issue. If Synthes had been guilty of any wrongdoing in any of the volumous cases you seem to know so much about, why havent they ever been taken to court over them??? Maybe that's why synthes has been killing it for soo long bc when hospitals try to buy from the competition, they tell them that they really dont need to keep their stuff on the shelf...ha

Just face up to the reality, there are no companies out there that are willing to spend the time and resources worrying about trauma, and thats why Synthes will remain at the top indefinately...

People love to hate!!
Re-read your post, it reeks of Synthes arrogance. Loading hospitals isn't selling or killing it as you say. It's taking advantage. Times are changing and customers are wise. They are also hurting financially. The wrongdoing of over-selling is not a crime but its short sighted and selfish on part of the reps who have done it which are many. Synthes knows its wrong so they buy back the inventory from customers who threaten to throw them out. It's happening across the country. The GM reference might possibly refer to the fact that Synthes is no longer innovative or nimble. There is no game changer product in the bag or in the pipe. Without innovation trauma is quickly becoming a commodity. Save your money you will need it sooner than you think.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Anonymous

who gives a c%^ about KC, scarface is running trauma.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Anonymous

Thumbs up Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Synthes buys back any inventory from any customer. Always has, this is nothing new. And they are the ONLY company that has this policy. Again, it is in no way synthes responsibility to police what a facility buys, its up to them what their level of inventory should be. Are you suggesting that Synthes is somehow laudering these funds from these hospitals? Otherwise, what is the legality of this argument.

You sound like a democrat. This is all I hear from barack, "its the fat-cats I tell ya, the fat-cats that are bringin this country down" come on man, get the f outta here. Its the dumb asses that eat, buy, over-indulge, are careless, and continually make bad decisions that are screwing everything up. This reigns true in this discussion the same. If hospitals are doing so poorly financially, then how would a situation exsist where they had been oversold? How would some CEO thats pulling down a couple mill a year not be aware of such case?

It's like fifty said, "money aint nothing unless you aint got none" get off synthes, and appreciate that you live in a country where a company like synthes can still operate, bc it might not be that way for much longer....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Synthes buys back any inventory from any customer. Always has, this is nothing new. And they are the ONLY company that has this policy. Again, it is in no way synthes responsibility to police what a facility buys, its up to them what their level of inventory should be. Are you suggesting that Synthes is somehow laudering these funds from these hospitals? Otherwise, what is the legality of this argument.

You sound like a democrat. This is all I hear from barack, "its the fat-cats I tell ya, the fat-cats that are bringin this country down" come on man, get the f outta here. Its the dumb asses that eat, buy, over-indulge, are careless, and continually make bad decisions that are screwing everything up. This reigns true in this discussion the same. If hospitals are doing so poorly financially, then how would a situation exsist where they had been oversold? How would some CEO thats pulling down a couple mill a year not be aware of such case?

It's like fifty said, "money aint nothing unless you aint got none" get off synthes, and appreciate that you live in a country where a company like synthes can still operate, bc it might not be that way for much longer....
Nce job insulting your customers dumb ass. You are too stupid to be a republican. And by the way, Wyss is the biggest lib on the planet and he owns your loser ass! He contributed a fortune (true) to get Obama elected. Now go charge your laser pointer so you can play doctor tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
who gives a c%^ about KC, scarface is running trauma.
You mean "Hoss?" He is kind of a personality lacking dumb shit isn't he?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You mean "Hoss?" He is kind of a personality lacking dumb shit isn't he?
I believe the reference was to Rick Chairman, the "Chairman without a Board".
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I believe the reference was to Rick Chairman, the "Chairman without a Board".
Actually it was in reference to the "other" un-named so far of the shitty trinity, I.V. Hall.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Actually it was in reference to the "other" un-named so far of the shitty trinity, I.V. Hall.
Gennett's hand was far up this guy's ass. Major puppet master action here!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Gennett's hand was far up this guy's ass. Major puppet master action here!
Stepford-like management is fooling no one.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Anonymous

Is KC completely bald or does he shave that thing?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Anonymous

He's a shaver. Had a bad combover a few years back. Definitely an improvement and shaving off the flavor saver completes the professional makeover....more or less.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Anonymous

huh?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Anonymous

Ken Carpenter has brought a different perspective into the administration part of sales. He is willing to put his neck out for his employees and is very inclusionary. He has emplowered his employees to to make critical decisions to succeed. UNder his leadership, Synthes will get better.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Anonymous

Notworthy Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Hah! KC can't make a decision like the rest of Synthes mgmt. I've seen him come to mtgs where someone in his position should definitively speak up & lead things... yet not a peep. He 'empowers' by letting others stick their necks out! All hail Wyss!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Anonymous

Better under Carpenter? You are delusional. Like Obama the feel good appointment of an unqualified man is backfiring before our very eyes. His lack of skills or ideas is as plain as the simple look on his face. He even has Randazzo as his version of Joe Biden. Total clusterfuck.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Anonymous

What evidence can you point to that would suggest his so called maverick style of leadership of inclusion and empowerment are actually producing any measurable benefit? Morale is in the toliet, sales growth has hit rock bottom, discounts are out of control and we now have a hiring freeze of sales reps for the first time ever. A comment about KC sticking his neck out for his people is a nice anecdote but is meaningless while Rome is burning. Real leadership requires far better communication to the field during a period of unprecedented uncertainty.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Ken Carpenter has brought a different perspective into the administration part of sales. He is willing to put his neck out for his employees and is very inclusionary. He has emplowered his employees to to make critical decisions to succeed. UNder his leadership, Synthes will get better.
"the administration part of sales"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: