for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Synthes
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Yeah the comment makes no sense. Sales Admin doesn't report to Ken and never has. Hard to imagine stocking his neck out for people he doesn't lead.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Ken Carpenter has brought a different perspective into the administration part of sales. He is willing to put his neck out for his employees and is very inclusionary. He has emplowered his employees to to make critical decisions to succeed. UNder his leadership, Synthes will get better.
KC, is that you again? No one else would write such Self promoting garbage. We know you like yourself but please stop campaigning. Folks have already made up their minds about you one way or the other. Be at peace with yourself and focus on your job.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Typical of Rick and IV's leadership is to put in place someone that won't challenge them and be a member of the gang. When your fat & happy, it's easy making such choices.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Anonymous

Talking Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Bump up the volume, bump, bump
Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Anonymous

Looking for Ken but didn't see him at OTA. Was he there? Can't imagine missing the biggest meeting of the year. Something up?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Anonymous

In the interest of cost savings they didn't send him. Besides he doesn't have strong surgeon relationships so he wasn't exactly needed.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Anonymous

A formal degree, may get you in the door, but is what you do with it that makes the difference. K.C. may not have a formal education, but i he made it to the top anyway. He is great with analytics, and with the customers. My guess is that those of you who cap on him are either intimidated by him, or covet his accomplishments.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
A formal degree, may get you in the door, but is what you do with it that makes the difference. K.C. may not have a formal education, but i he made it to the top anyway. He is great with analytics, and with the customers. My guess is that those of you who cap on him are either intimidated by him, or covet his accomplishments.
Wow, you sound like a big fan. Can you actually point to anything tangible he has specifically done or accomplished or do you want to lust for him in vague generalities and hope everyone buys the crap you're spewing? He's a small timer going nowhere fast just like Synthes these days.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Anonymous

Sales Admin reported to Ken for almost a year. I have heard nothing but positive comments about his leadership...and no, this is not Ken Carpenter. This is a true statement, all you have to do is ask someone that works in that group and they will all tell you they think Ken is great. Sorry to disappoint you haters out there.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Anonymous

Rolleyes Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Sure Ken, whatever you say...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Anonymous

Good to know Ken has made a love connection with the 5 people in the office that work in the behind the scenes sweat shop. Ken's primary job is to lead the 800 man sales force but there is zero confidence in his skill and ability to direct the well oiled sales machine. You can't fake the real thing and Ken just doesn't have it. The number of people leaving is alarming and the majority of those remaining are nervous are unhappy and looking. Sales growth and employee retention are the real measures of effectiveness and Ken is failing on both fronts.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

You make me laugh. Turn over? Where is the turnover? How many SCs have left? Better question is how many have left on their own or where asked to leave? Out of those that left how many did Synthes want to stay? Then I read these comments about hiring freeze? Where is the hiring freeze? My manager told me that we are hiring for three new expansions in our region and that our company will be hiring about 60 new expansions nationwide in 2011 after we did the same in 2010. You have your information wrong, but I'm going to ask him again if anything has changed.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Anonymous

I am a recruiter and I can tell you there is an amazing amount of Synthes paper on the street - way more than I have ever seen in the past. Something is going on there.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Anonymous

If you're a recruiter then try answering the questions. Or better yet tell all of us what "a lot of paper" means. Whats the standard by which you make that statement? I get at least a minimum of 4 recruiter offers per month, you guys bribe me and throw big figures out to me in the form of guarantees, etc. Let me tell you something, you guys are bloodsuckers. I've been around better than 10 years and the number of people that you have enticed to leave that would give their left testicle to come back are beyond belief. They get used by the competing company and then dumped. Get a life and get out of here. Our income goes up every year, our quality of life improves. We have an A+ product line, A+ representation, B+ leadership and improving and we have a well run company where the commissions have not been touched my whole career and taking to the old timers only changed once when we became employees. What can the other ortho companies say??????? I have friends (ex-Synthes) employess at Zimmer, Biomet, Stryker, Depuy and yes S&N - they all say it stinks and wish they had not made the mistake and believe the bull you guys filled their ears with. Just crawl under a rock and die please.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Anonymous

Orsinger and Carpenter are working hand in hand to rid the organization of talent and experience. We're going through VPs like a poultry slaughter house. With sales growth grinding to a halt got to blame someone. Orsinger is a disaster and is destroying Synthes one bad decision at a time. Just can't understand why Wyss is letting it happen.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Anonymous

Rant Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:
If you're a recruiter then try answering the questions. Or better yet tell all of us what "a lot of paper" means. Whats the standard by which you make that statement? I get at least a minimum of 4 recruiter offers per month, you guys bribe me and throw big figures out to me in the form of guarantees, etc. Let me tell you something, you guys are bloodsuckers. I've been around better than 10 years and the number of people that you have enticed to leave that would give their left testicle to come back are beyond belief. They get used by the competing company and then dumped. Get a life and get out of here. Our income goes up every year, our quality of life improves. We have an A+ product line, A+ representation, B+ leadership and improving and we have a well run company where the commissions have not been touched my whole career and taking to the old timers only changed once when we became employees. What can the other ortho companies say??????? I have friends (ex-Synthes) employess at Zimmer, Biomet, Stryker, Depuy and yes S&N - they all say it stinks and wish they had not made the mistake and believe the bull you guys filled their ears with. Just crawl under a rock and die please.
Hey angry man, give it a rest. Do you really think Synthes has A+ products? Then you are clearly not a rep in the street. The competition now offer better products up and down the range. Synthes can no longer justify the nose bleed prices and stuffing hospitals full of unnecessary back stock. Your customers are shopping to dump Synthes in favor of a honest alternative. The Synthes ripoff scam has been exposed and customers are angry like you. And your biggest joke of a statement is rating the leadership a B+. They are an embarrasment and everybody knows it. Watching the great Synthes empire come to dismal end is a pleasure to watch. Never has a more arrogant or hypocritical medical company ever existed. Keep drinking the koolaid chump.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Anonymous

The reps leaving most often are the younger ones. Synthes management will tell you it is because they can't do the job. My take is different because I was one of them. Synthes is a company of have and have nots. While the average rep makes good money the median rep makes far less with little upside. Synthes is dominated by a small number of reps controlling large blocks of business. Most hired in the last 5 to 7 years stand no chance of ever making the big bucks. The continued expansion is to provide cover for the kingpins to help them hold on to their book of business. Combine that with the fact that management is taking steps to prevent any additional territories from surpassing $2.5m in sales andyou have an income cap. My guess is half of the reps have territories with sales under $1m mostl made up of low potential community hospitals. When not busy wer're expected to help out our millionaire neighbors so they can make even more money. Some call it paying your dues. If that is true than where is the evidence junior guys get dialed in to make big $$$? That's why turnover is highest at the lowest end of the pay spectrum. We have fugured it out and leaving to get a fair chance somewhere else rather than wait it out in a crappy deadend territory hoping some kingpin rep quits, retires or get's fired. The first two never happen but the last one is happening more often when they get caught doing something stupid like stealing from their hositals. I won't even go there...
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Anonymous

Crying Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

If you work for Synthes and are unhappy and miserable at work then do yourself and your co-workers a favor and QUIT! YOU probably think you are really good at what you do and feel your work is going unnoticed and should be promoted. Well let me break it to you, everyone else at work probably sees you as a miserable, whiney bitch like you are on here and is hoping that you will either get fired or just quit.

If bitching on here cause it makes you feel good inside then go ahead and let it all out. I am sure no one at Synthes wants to hear your shit anymore!

Sincerley,
Wyss, Orsinger, Gennet, Carpenter, and whoever else you think wrote this among the 10,000 Synthes employees cause it doesn't matter, all 10,000 of us feel the same - LEAVE!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
If you work for Synthes and are unhappy and miserable at work then do yourself and your co-workers a favor and QUIT! YOU probably think you are really good at what you do and feel your work is going unnoticed and should be promoted. Well let me break it to you, everyone else at work probably sees you as a miserable, whiney bitch like you are on here and is hoping that you will either get fired or just quit.

If bitching on here cause it makes you feel good inside then go ahead and let it all out. I am sure no one at Synthes wants to hear your shit anymore!

Sincerley,
Wyss, Orsinger, Gennet, Carpenter, and whoever else you think wrote this among the 10,000 Synthes employees cause it doesn't matter, all 10,000 of us feel the same - LEAVE!
isn't it funny that supposedly happy proud employees regularly read and post on this site often in defense of the company and the very individuals many people feel are ruining the co.? If you know you are going to read smut about your coworkers and you don't like it why keep coming back for more?

The vengeance and hostility in your posts suggests the negative posts you reply to must really bother you on a personal level. By indulging Synthes haters you are contributing to over 6000 views of this thread. Please let it die and maybe people will stop viewing so often.
All of Synthes' competitiors and some customers follow CP and I hear about it almost every day. I no longer work for Synthes and have no animosity toward it but you don't have to work there to know something's not right.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
The reps leaving most often are the younger ones. Synthes management will tell you it is because they can't do the job. My take is different because I was one of them. Synthes is a company of have and have nots. While the average rep makes good money the median rep makes far less with little upside. Synthes is dominated by a small number of reps controlling large blocks of business. Most hired in the last 5 to 7 years stand no chance of ever making the big bucks. The continued expansion is to provide cover for the kingpins to help them hold on to their book of business. Combine that with the fact that management is taking steps to prevent any additional territories from surpassing $2.5m in sales andyou have an income cap. My guess is half of the reps have territories with sales under $1m mostl made up of low potential community hospitals. When not busy wer're expected to help out our millionaire neighbors so they can make even more money. Some call it paying your dues. If that is true than where is the evidence junior guys get dialed in to make big $$$? That's why turnover is highest at the lowest end of the pay spectrum. We have fugured it out and leaving to get a fair chance somewhere else rather than wait it out in a crappy deadend territory hoping some kingpin rep quits, retires or get's fired. The first two never happen but the last one is happening more often when they get caught doing something stupid like stealing from their hositals. I won't even go there...

This statement essentially sums up life at Synthes. the turnover in key parts of the nation, namely NYC, Philadelphia, and the northeast corridor in general, is alarming. The fat cats that sit on top of the hill have fended off young, hungry reps for years...using them during the maturation process, asking them to pay their dues, lauding them during the process to upper management to keep the ASC role alive for themselves, and then when the day of reckoning slowly approaches, most often than not, confrontation begins with your senior. moreover, all of a sudden that work ethic and knowledge that you portrayed for the intern or asc period are no longer valid, you arent going to "cut" it, and you certainly arent worthy of any of their territory. This is a vicious cycle that happens constantly and the young reps are faced with A.) relocation B) taking on the pile of shit hospitals that were destroyed by a senior rep and dumped C) ultimately left with no decision but to leave bc they are so pissed/distraught about what has transgressed. Do you know how they repay synthes these days? They go to Stryker...YES...you all have seen it. There are several young, aggressive former synthes reps TEARING apart our hospitals, and its all our fault. This happens all the time, and all the more frequent. Its a shame bc Synthes does have world class products, history that has value, and highly skilled sales reps (for the most part) who are willing to give up their lives to be part of this company. Upper management needs to stop the bleeding and share the love. its only going to hurt the company in the end if they continue to be ignorant to the trends.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

This statement essentially sums up life at Synthes. the turnover in key parts of the nation, namely NYC, Philadelphia, and the northeast corridor in general, is alarming. The fat cats that sit on top of the hill have fended off young, hungry reps for years...using them during the maturation process, asking them to pay their dues, lauding them during the process to upper management to keep the ASC role alive for themselves, and then when the day of reckoning slowly approaches, most often than not, confrontation begins with your senior. moreover, all of a sudden that work ethic and knowledge that you portrayed for the intern or asc period are no longer valid, you arent going to "cut" it, and you certainly arent worthy of any of their territory. This is a vicious cycle that happens constantly and the young reps are faced with A.) relocation B) taking on the pile of shit hospitals that were destroyed by a senior rep and dumped C) ultimately left with no decision but to leave bc they are so pissed/distraught about what has transgressed. Do you know how they repay synthes these days? They go to Stryker...YES...you all have seen it. There are several young, aggressive former synthes reps TEARING apart our hospitals, and its all our fault. This happens all the time, and all the more frequent. Its a shame bc Synthes does have world class products, history that has value, and highly skilled sales reps (for the most part) who are willing to give up their lives to be part of this company. Upper management needs to stop the bleeding and share the love. its only going to hurt the company in the end if they continue to be ignorant to the trends.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
you obviously don't know what you're talking about. There is lots of turnover in NYC, due to the challenges in the region, but there is NEVER turnover in Philadelphia area. All the reps are well-respected and have been in the area for double digit years.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Anonymous

Synthes market share has been dwindling in Philadelphia since Dan Pontecorvo left. Dan ran a tight ship by building a team of second stringers in an effort to keep payroll down and tight control on his business without the potential threat of training future competitors. Philly might be the weakest line up for Synthes in any major city across the country. Ed Daily is a light weight fairy and yet is the creme of the crop in Philly for Synthes. Enough said.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
you obviously don't know what you're talking about. There is lots of turnover in NYC, due to the challenges in the region, but there is NEVER turnover in Philadelphia area. All the reps are well-respected and have been in the area for double digit years.
Did you miss what was said in the entirety of my post? I said the senior reps hold people down...The turnover amongst the young upcoming reps is awful. You completely missed my point. Philadelphia has had HORRIBLE turnover, in regards to retention rates with the intern/asc program. Unless you work in this region, you have no clue.

The senior guys in Philadelphia/suburbs, for the most part, are very knowledgeable and have done a tremendous job keeping out the competitors since pontecorvo left. With 5 plus level 1 traumas in philadelphia, it is very impressive to see that they maintain almost all of the business in these accounts. And as for your comments about Ed Dailey, you're clueless. 20 plus years, runs two level 1 traumas, and has amazing relationships with a top 5 account. Yep, he's a lightweight.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Anonymous

I don't think anyone would dispute Ed's knowledge or experience but his reputation is definitely spotty inside and outside the company. The words sleazy and back stabbing come to mind.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Anonymous

More like a Gennett cigar lighter. Dan was a good guy for a guy that started in the mailroom. Ed would flunk out of tollbooth school. Again, Gennett and the turn them and burn them with the Assoc Rep is a failure.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Anonymous

The gentleman that posted on 12-20 at 7:11 has nailed it. I've read a lot of accurate posts on this site, but he/she has brought to light the absolute truth. As a former Synthes rep of 5 years, I watched $3 million worth of a $5 million dollar area go to 1 rep. The remaining $2 million was divided by 3 reps. Up until my final year, I was either at or above 100% of quota and always at 15% growth if not better.
I can't tell you how many times I was told that I had to "pay my dues" and cover the prick who was making $300,000+ while he went on a cruise (and did nothing but complain when he returned). This was after I had been working for 4+ years.
Bottom line: at last count, 4 reps had left within a 2 month period of time last year. In addition, some of the surgeons that I still remain close w/ tell me that the turnover continues and that they no longer respect Synthes.
The sad thing is that Upper Management has been snowballed, too stupid or just too lazy to see that the main culprit is the RM and the douche making $300K+ (he's the only original rep still there, btw).
BTW, to those of you who will point out that I am a "former" employee and still keeping up w/ Synthes: I was a very loyal to Synthes, confident in its product line and hated to leave but could no longer work for such a poorly managed company. I will always be sad that I had to leave.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:
You make me laugh. Turn over? Where is the turnover? How many SCs have left? Better question is how many have left on their own or where asked to leave? Out of those that left how many did Synthes want to stay? Then I read these comments about hiring freeze? Where is the hiring freeze? My manager told me that we are hiring for three new expansions in our region and that our company will be hiring about 60 new expansions nationwide in 2011 after we did the same in 2010. You have your information wrong, but I'm going to ask him again if anything has changed.
You shouldn't be laughing! There is a lot of turnover. The SC's that are leaving are the competent and experienced ones. And, they are leaving because of the fact that Synthes is continually screwing these reps by cutting their territories and adding kids that have no idea as to what is going on. 24/7 call - $ from cut territory = SC's leaving!

It would also be a hugh help if Synthes could get us the products we need in order to make a dent with the new technology. By the time I get my new sets it is no longer new technology!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Anonymous

Spend any time around this guy and you immediately realize he's a freak'n moron. I'm honestly in disbelief our welfare has been left in the care of such incompetence. You can literally feel the life being sucked out of this once great company.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Anonymous

Yeah the entire senior management team is weak. Hopefully they are just caretakers until we are sold to a quality company that will put proven professionals in charge. until then in HJW we trust.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Quote:
foolish, foolish post...........
So much for being anonymous, eh? LOL.. wow..
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Anonymous

Thumbs down Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

Start with getting rid of that degenerate Rick Gennett and Phil Coburn. both ass grabbing cigar jugging whores. Both are the two biggest loads on two feet.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Anonymous

tony carpenzilla strikes again!!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Anonymous

Does Carpenter have a drinking problem?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
The man enjoys his sauce but doesn't make him a drunk (although he was pretty wasted at the recent sales meeting). The pressure must be getting to him. Synthes is not an easy place to work.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
why do you ask?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Anonymous

Isn't it obvious?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Is a frog's ass airtight? Does a bear shit in the woods?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Question about Ken Carpenter

is it possible we've hit a new low? Where is the pride?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
is it possible we've hit a new low? Where is the pride?
I'll drink to that!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Anonymous

Any guess on what happens to this guy? Does JnJ require their executives have college degrees?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Any guess on what happens to this guy? Does JnJ require their executives have college degrees?
Because he is head of trauma he is probably safe. Most people are saying trauma will stay the same including management. Best guest though, no one knows for sure
Old 04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Is a frog's ass airtight? Does a bear shit in the woods?
Not unless its a polar bear. Go pump some weights cocksucker.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Anonymous

After many years with the company let me add this. Whoever said that Synthes is not the fierce competitor it once was is right. Weiss turned the keys to the candy store about 10 years ago. RM's were NOT hired on performance. They were hired from inside and outside the company because they cozied up the Gennett. (Speechly, Siegel, etc). Carpenter showed up in Dallas at Resident's course as the RM in charge and it was the first course he had ever been to.
The move from innovator to the back door handshake deals has taken many years to transform Synthes from what it was to what it is. Anybody can make a plate but it was the guys who worked 10-12 days straight and 10-12 hours a day that made it a graet company. Those days are over. S&N and Zimmer will wake up one day as will the hospital sitting on millions of dollars in inventory they dont need
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Anonymous

Got it on good authority that the days are numbered for this neanderthal thug. In fact, IV and MO would fire him right now if they could. Write it down: He won't be around when the band aid company takes over.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Got it on good authority that the days are numbered for this neanderthal thug. In fact, IV and MO would fire him right now if they could. Write it down: He won't be around when the band aid company takes over.
How ironic, because IV and MO are likely already out themselves. Wouldn't it suck to be left with KC while they got rid of everyone else?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Anonymous

If they're going to move him out, I wish they would just do it. I lost my manager yesterday and he was a great leader and a decent person. KC is playing personal politics running good people out of here that don't measure up to his "high moral and ethical standards". We all know what a hypocrit he is so he's not fooling anyone. WHY IS NO ONE STOPPING HIM????
Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Anonymous

What VP of Sales schedules elective surgery during the NSM? Something is definitely up.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Gennett made a habit of keeping his butt buddies employed. Dave Wholey went from being a bell boy in Aspen (Gennett met him on a boys club Ski trip). Wholey is not only a tool on a personal level he's a moron when it comes to the products. Yep he's perfect for Synthes Management.
Wholey is also a graduate from the Air Force Academy you dumbshit
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Wholey is also a graduate from the Air Force Academy you dumbshit
What does the Air Force Academy have to do with sales or being good in sales? You can be from Harvard, Yale, or any Ivy League school for that matter and be miserable at this job...Who gives a sh*t about the Air Force Academy, you dumbshit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: