» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Pharma Sales Jobs

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Pharma/Biotech Companies > Abbott
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abbott Anonymous board for Abbott Laboratories

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Anonymous

Angry Abbott Diabetes Care

What is up with the management at this company? I am a fairly new rep with over 10 years experience and I have never seen so much mis management in my life. Why is the talent here so inexperienced?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Abbott Diabetes Care

Haha!!! You fool! You have 10 years of experience and you're just NOW getting into meter sales??? Then on top of it you come on CP to complain?? I would have just kept my mouth shut as YOU look like an idiot. 10 years experience..and now a NEW meter rep! Hahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Haha!!! You fool! You have 10 years of experience and you're just NOW getting into meter sales??? Then on top of it you come on CP to complain?? I would have just kept my mouth shut as YOU look like an idiot. 10 years experience..and now a NEW meter rep! Hahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!
I think you are the fool. This can be a stepping stone into real device if you are intelligent but by your response you missed the "intelligence boat". You sound like a medisense reject that is just happy to have a paycheck. Grow up little man and act like you have some hair on your balls.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I think you are the fool. This can be a stepping stone into real device if you are intelligent but by your response you missed the "intelligence boat". You sound like a medisense reject that is just happy to have a paycheck. Grow up little man and act like you have some hair on your balls.
No, post #2 is correct. Meter sales is not a great stepping stone into medical device. I'm a recruiter and to be honest, meter sales is viewed as OTC more than medical device or equipment. You might have a chance getting into pump sales, but that's about it. Most of the reps I have placed with the meter companies (or similar) are sales people that have no experience, or very limited. If you truly have 10 years of medical sales experience, you probably should have seeked a position in specialty pharma/biotech or OR. You mentioned that management was weak and the sales force was very inexperienced...well, you just joined them. Don't get all emotional and snap at a poster on here that basically told you the truth. He was correct, you do look like a fool especially with your "stepping stone" post.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
No, post #2 is correct. Meter sales is not a great stepping stone into medical device. I'm a recruiter and to be honest, meter sales is viewed as OTC more than medical device or equipment. You might have a chance getting into pump sales, but that's about it. Most of the reps I have placed with the meter companies (or similar) are sales people that have no experience, or very limited. If you truly have 10 years of medical sales experience, you probably should have seeked a position in specialty pharma/biotech or OR. You mentioned that management was weak and the sales force was very inexperienced...well, you just joined them. Don't get all emotional and snap at a poster on here that basically told you the truth. He was correct, you do look like a fool especially with your "stepping stone" post.
Well, if you are a recruiter you are not very good at your job. I was a meter reps for years and used it to get into device sales so you are wrong. A little knowledge for you all, a recruiter is not a good job, it is someone who can not get a good job! Speciality pharma is a no different that anyother pharma job, I did tht for 7 years so you can blow that arguement out of your ass. Only difference is that speciality thinks their shit does not stink, alot like recruiters, but they wait in lobbies for hours to talk for 1 minute - great job. You are wrong and I am proof! One other thing, biotech is pharma with stock options. If you are a recruiter, and I doubt it, I feel sorry for the people who actually believe what you say. Like I said, I am now in device and management iat ADC is a joke - but you have no idea what it takes to sell strips so, again, you have no idea of what you are talking about.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Any headhunter worth his salt would not be on cafepharma. This is just another ADC hack who thinks selling pharma is more prestigous than selling meters. In fact, this idiot sounds like management material at ADC - not a compliment you fool!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
What is up with the management at this company? I am a fairly new rep with over 10 years experience and I have never seen so much mis management in my life. Why is the talent here so inexperienced?
No leadership. If ADC was based in Chicago the team in charge would have all been fired, the whole lot of them. Very lucky the business is so small and so far away or Miles White would have lined the whole management team up and fired them one by one. At minimum, he would have placed his McKinsey hitmen in Alameda to sniff out why the crappy leadership is creating a crappy culture yielding crappy results. The only reason Miles could possibly tolerate this is that it is not even on his radar screen. Not on his radar screen is scary as it probably means dump the business or as you see the net margin goals increase it means harvest the business.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Anonymous

How's the training department? Anyone I should be concerned about? Are they cooperative?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Anonymous

Worried Re: Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
How's the training department? Anyone I should be concerned about? Are they cooperative?
There has not been any good training since the managed care guy that used to be here did the third tier selling and understanding managed care training. I think he was the only guy I have met here that really understood our business.

All I can say about current training is LOL.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
There has not been any good training since the managed care guy that used to be here did the third tier selling and understanding managed care training. I think he was the only guy I have met here that really understood our business.

All I can say about current training is LOL.
I agree with that. I also thought that the guy from the Midwest was good too. Big guy...can't remember his name. He was realistic and at least knew the business too. Made it more bearable with his sense of humor. I think he left last year. Since then, it has been a bunch of stiffs.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Anonymous

Crying Poor Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

In the past 8 months, there were layoffs made at both the Alameda, CA and Witney, UK facilities, encompassing a wide array of departments. The most recent one happened in the second week of January 2010.

One of the biggest challenges facing ADC is that its technology is not at par with the competition. For example, its continuous glucose monitoring system, Navigator, is yet to make money and the current version is still undergoing a myriad of design changes. Just take a look at the FDA website and see how many changes have been made to the Navigator since it was approved. Likewise, the FreeStyle test strips use a chemistry that is the subject of an FDA and Health Canada public health notification, since the GDH-PQQ enzyme which ADC uses can cause highly elevated glucose readings. This is all occasioned by a very poor R&D leadership, whose VPs lack vision and market acumen. Rather than focusing on fixing issues that address complaint trends, the technical operations team are not trailblazers, but simply follow Bayer and Lifescan.

The Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Affairs leadership is also very weak, with a current leader that never had any clinical trials background and no regulatory experience in IVDs. In just one year, senior regulatory professionals and an RA manager have left that department, dismayed at the favoritism and poor management fromt he top. The Quality Systems leadership is also equally pathetic. The environment is very fissiparous, with leaders being hired from within and promoted from one department to another, having no background at all in their new responsibilities. Such promotions are occasioned by cronyism and connections more than skill set competencies.

Mr. White needs to seriously take a look at this division and bring in some McKinsey folks to assess its deficiencies. Should anyone from Abbott Corporate read this, please just respond and provide an e-mail and I will be more than happy to contact them directly to discuss my perspective.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Training???!???! Training is the least concern at this division. Not because it's competent, incompetent, relevant, a waste of time, etc. It's more like if the Titanic's stern starts to rise as the bow goes under, are you gonna ask about the menu for tomorrow's lunch?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Anonymous

Angry Recycled Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

ADC has become less competitive from a product development standpoint since most of its devices are "me-too" products. There is no innovation in their current products since they merely copy what Bayer, Roche, and Lifescan have. I blame this on poor leadership, given the fact that most of the senior managers at ADC are merely recycled from other Abbott divisions. They just move VPs around and as a result, there is no new blood. The leadership at R&D is dismal and I am surprised that they have not fired the two pompous VPs who were hand-me downs from Therasense and Medisense. Just look at the Navigator which took too long to get approval in the US and even now has no reimbursement and is still being continually upgraded. In reality, this device is still not ready for primetime. I reckon that Miles White is just ashamed to admit that ADC is in a moribund state since this was his first acquisition as Abbott CEO. No doubt that they paid too much for Therasense, based on the "intangible" value of the Navigator, which still has to see profit.

At the end of the day, Miles White or La Presidente Madam Heather Mason needs to purge ADC's senior management and bring in new blood from outside of Abbott. I would recommend starting at R&D, Regulatory Affairs, and Quality!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Recycled Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
ADC has become less competitive from a product development standpoint since most of its devices are "me-too" products. There is no innovation in their current products since they merely copy what Bayer, Roche, and Lifescan have. I blame this on poor leadership, given the fact that most of the senior managers at ADC are merely recycled from other Abbott divisions. They just move VPs around and as a result, there is no new blood. The leadership at R&D is dismal and I am surprised that they have not fired the two pompous VPs who were hand-me downs from Therasense and Medisense. Just look at the Navigator which took too long to get approval in the US and even now has no reimbursement and is still being continually upgraded. In reality, this device is still not ready for primetime. I reckon that Miles White is just ashamed to admit that ADC is in a moribund state since this was his first acquisition as Abbott CEO. No doubt that they paid too much for Therasense, based on the "intangible" value of the Navigator, which still has to see profit.

At the end of the day, Miles White or La Presidente Madam Heather Mason needs to purge ADC's senior management and bring in new blood from outside of Abbott. I would recommend starting at R&D, Regulatory Affairs, and Quality!
Add to that Sales, Marketing, Contracts and Pricing, the list goes on.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Poor Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
In the past 8 months, there were layoffs made at both the Alameda, CA and Witney, UK facilities, encompassing a wide array of departments. The most recent one happened in the second week of January 2010.

One of the biggest challenges facing ADC is that its technology is not at par with the competition. For example, its continuous glucose monitoring system, Navigator, is yet to make money and the current version is still undergoing a myriad of design changes. Just take a look at the FDA website and see how many changes have been made to the Navigator since it was approved. Likewise, the FreeStyle test strips use a chemistry that is the subject of an FDA and Health Canada public health notification, since the GDH-PQQ enzyme which ADC uses can cause highly elevated glucose readings. This is all occasioned by a very poor R&D leadership, whose VPs lack vision and market acumen. Rather than focusing on fixing issues that address complaint trends, the technical operations team are not trailblazers, but simply follow Bayer and Lifescan.

The Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Affairs leadership is also very weak, with a current leader that never had any clinical trials background and no regulatory experience in IVDs. In just one year, senior regulatory professionals and an RA manager have left that department, dismayed at the favoritism and poor management fromt he top. The Quality Systems leadership is also equally pathetic. The environment is very fissiparous, with leaders being hired from within and promoted from one department to another, having no background at all in their new responsibilities. Such promotions are occasioned by cronyism and connections more than skill set competencies.

Mr. White needs to seriously take a look at this division and bring in some McKinsey folks to assess its deficiencies. Should anyone from Abbott Corporate read this, please just respond and provide an e-mail and I will be more than happy to contact them directly to discuss my perspective.
You NEED to send a note directly to Miles White. He is not aware of what is going on in Alameda and how poor the leadership is but deserves this insight so ACTION can be taken. Send it anonymously if you must...BUT SEND IT.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Recycled Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
Add to that Sales, Marketing, Contracts and Pricing, the list goes on.
SALES and MARKETING at ADC is the "worst in class" in diabetes. If sales understood the channels and the competitive landscape and if marketing understood patient behavior they would be driving R&D to develop products that were relevant in the market. Instead we have products that lag our competitors that even have the ability to launch simple innovation that the pharmacist, CDE, HCP, and patient love. Mini, Bayer Colors, Roche drum, all have been sales/marketing driven. Hate to say it but our sales VP is a fake and the marketing team is just attempting to collect a paycheck and survive until Miles White rotates in the next President. THis is not R&D's fault - it is the lack of leadership and direction from sales and marketing team.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Anonymous

Angry Dysfunctional Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

I have never seen a biotech organization that is more dysfunctional than Abbott Diabetes Care (ADC) and if there are any MBA candidates out there who are interested in a case study for their thesis, ADC is a very good candidate. Here are some interesting tidbits:

(1) Years after Abbott acquired Therasense, the Operations team were still packing kits into shipping boxes that said Therasense on it. The VP of Operations was just a stingy fool who was more interested in cost savings, waiting for his retirement, and in getting his daughter an internship (and subsequently a fulltime job) at ADC.
(2) VPs are just recycled around--- After Florentino left, they brought in R Hance, who was recycled from Vascular, and after just a year, was recycled back to Vascular, and H Mason was brought in as Pres and she came from another Abbott division as well. The ineffective VP of QA was just recycled to the eyecare division, and the VP of Regulatory and Clinicals came from Vascular, right after that division got a warning letter. (Surprisingly, he heads clinicals even if he never had a clinical trial background.) They had a Brit for a manufacturing VP and he was booted out and a someone from nutrition was brought in. And what is there to say about the Sales and Marketing leadership? It's a revolving door!
(3) After Navigator was launched, they just realized that there was no reimbursement for this product. Why would patients (or Medicare) pay for this expensive device when there are cheaper alternatives (i.e. meters and strips)?
(4) When the FDA sent a safety warning on the GDH-PQQ technology, which FreeStyle uses, Bayer and Lifescan acted swiftly and changed their enzymes to a safer alternative. As of this writing, I checked ADCs website and they still do not have a solution to this public health risk. I am sure that Bayer and Lifescan are taking advantage of this and are slowly eating market share from ADC's FreeStyle strips.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Anonymous

Yes we are. We are also taking advantage of the Freestyle lite Vs Freestyle marketplace confusion, lack of managed care, bullshit Copay card that sells patient info, and the fact that ADC Reps. dont work and if they do show up at the office they just drop off meters and walk away without talking with anyone
Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Yes we are. We are also taking advantage of the Freestyle lite Vs Freestyle marketplace confusion, lack of managed care, bullshit Copay card that sells patient info, and the fact that ADC Reps. dont work and if they do show up at the office they just drop off meters and walk away without talking with anyone
Hey Kettle, is that you?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Dysfunctional Leadership at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
I have never seen a biotech organization that is more dysfunctional than Abbott Diabetes Care (ADC) and if there are any MBA candidates out there who are interested in a case study for their thesis, ADC is a very good candidate. Here are some interesting tidbits:

(1) Years after Abbott acquired Therasense, the Operations team were still packing kits into shipping boxes that said Therasense on it. The VP of Operations was just a stingy fool who was more interested in cost savings, waiting for his retirement, and in getting his daughter an internship (and subsequently a fulltime job) at ADC.
(2) VPs are just recycled around--- After Florentino left, they brought in R Hance, who was recycled from Vascular, and after just a year, was recycled back to Vascular, and H Mason was brought in as Pres and she came from another Abbott division as well. The ineffective VP of QA was just recycled to the eyecare division, and the VP of Regulatory and Clinicals came from Vascular, right after that division got a warning letter. (Surprisingly, he heads clinicals even if he never had a clinical trial background.) They had a Brit for a manufacturing VP and he was booted out and a someone from nutrition was brought in. And what is there to say about the Sales and Marketing leadership? It's a revolving door!
(3) After Navigator was launched, they just realized that there was no reimbursement for this product. Why would patients (or Medicare) pay for this expensive device when there are cheaper alternatives (i.e. meters and strips)?
(4) When the FDA sent a safety warning on the GDH-PQQ technology, which FreeStyle uses, Bayer and Lifescan acted swiftly and changed their enzymes to a safer alternative. As of this writing, I checked ADCs website and they still do not have a solution to this public health risk. I am sure that Bayer and Lifescan are taking advantage of this and are slowly eating market share from ADC's FreeStyle strips.

Who is this dipshit?? They should have tried to keep the Therasense name, it was respected while Abbott had a reputation for running Medisense that was nothing but a industry joke. To say that there is not reimbursement for sensors is incorrect - more and more payors are on board for this technology everyday but the mistake ADC made was not to partner with a pump company. ADC thought that 20 overrated meter reps could sell against Medtronic without any clinical personal. Medtronic will win that battle all day. The studies are there proving the benefit of sensors and payors do pay for it but ADC does not have the knowledge to sell this technology. To reference that meters and strips can give the same results as a sensor is laughable, you should try to read some studies. JDRF had one published in the New England Journal of Medicine that erases all doubt of the benefits of this technology. The author of the above post knows that ADC is not making good decisions but is not too bright, might be a ADC manager.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Anonymous

Angry Layoffs at Abbott Diabetes Care

During the June 2009 layoffs at ADC, many of those laid off where over 40 y.o. In fact, one was a Director of Clinicals and just came back from a medical leave. Another associate, also in clinicals, was on medical leave. Despite this, both were laid off. How insensitive of Abbott. The recent layoff was last January 2010 and there seemed to be a Navigator connection. How many more quarters of red ink would Abbott Corporate tolerate until it cans the entiire Navigator franchise?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Anonymous

FYI: Miles is coming to Alameda this week (Feb 8th).
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Anonymous

It is amazing how arrogrant some of the ADC field reps are. I mean you would think they worked for a company that had a strategy, a great product, and really had their act together. I read this and find they are just as screwed up as a lot of other companies. Abbott Diabetes may have management that is lousy, but the reps are putting on a good act out in the field.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
FYI: Miles is coming to Alameda this week (Feb 8th).
He knows he needs to clean house. Fast.

Things going on in the other Divisions are leading to a lot of buzz, but the risk is just the same percentage of law suites and complaints they get when they use PIP's and internal investigations to push people out. It may be unethical, but it's not against the law to reduce heads by getting rid of the "bad apples", even if many of those "bad apples" did nothing more than make an innocent mistake or two.

What's going on at ADC, on the other hand, is headlines news. The stuff of major investigations. Its everything the Government and other Big Pharma haters have wet dreams about. Senior management with years of internal complaints against them, a smorgasbord of excesses to pick from: institutionalized drinking, business meetings that are more like frat parties, sexual harassment. Led by a senior management team that has been expelled from other Divisions within Abbott and flushed to ADC for dong these very things.

Abbott created a nice safe little enclave for them, where they can continue to do the same things, aided and abetted by a compliant, enabling ADC HR.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
It is amazing how arrogrant some of the ADC field reps are. I mean you would think they worked for a company that had a strategy, a great product, and really had their act together. I read this and find they are just as screwed up as a lot of other companies. Abbott Diabetes may have management that is lousy, but the reps are putting on a good act out in the field.

Less than 2% of the field sales posts here. Is that enough for your study? Study of 11 field sales reps leads to your strong conclusion? A screwed up person, is screwed up if they work for us or for you.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
He knows he needs to clean house. Fast.

Things going on in the other Divisions are leading to a lot of buzz, but the risk is just the same percentage of law suites and complaints they get when they use PIP's and internal investigations to push people out. It may be unethical, but it's not against the law to reduce heads by getting rid of the "bad apples", even if many of those "bad apples" did nothing more than make an innocent mistake or two.

What's going on at ADC, on the other hand, is headlines news. The stuff of major investigations. Its everything the Government and other Big Pharma haters have wet dreams about. Senior management with years of internal complaints against them, a smorgasbord of excesses to pick from: institutionalized drinking, business meetings that are more like frat parties, sexual harassment. Led by a senior management team that has been expelled from other Divisions within Abbott and flushed to ADC for dong these very things.

Abbott created a nice safe little enclave for them, where they can continue to do the same things, aided and abetted by a compliant, enabling ADC HR.
Don't they make drugs for obsessive, delusional, paranoia?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Anonymous

Worried FDA Audit at Abbott Diabetes Care

I heard that the week when Miles White came to ADC, the FDA had come also for an audit. Any information on why the FDA showed up?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
No leadership. If ADC was based in Chicago the team in charge would have all been fired, the whole lot of them. Very lucky the business is so small and so far away or Miles White would have lined the whole management team up and fired them one by one. At minimum, he would have placed his McKinsey hitmen in Alameda to sniff out why the crappy leadership is creating a crappy culture yielding crappy results. The only reason Miles could possibly tolerate this is that it is not even on his radar screen. Not on his radar screen is scary as it probably means dump the business or as you see the net margin goals increase it means harvest the business.

yeah, they really have not made a dent in marketshare anywhere in the country
Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

Don't think this devision of Abbott isn't being reviewed. it is.I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it, but to who?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
yeah, they really have not made a dent in marketshare anywhere in the country
This company is a sinking ship
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Less than 2% of the field sales posts here. Is that enough for your study? Study of 11 field sales reps leads to your strong conclusion? A screwed up person, is screwed up if they work for us or for you.

Field sales at ADC is not arrogant. Not sure who you talked to, but most are trying to find new jobs and leave.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Anonymous

Crying Questionable Promotions at Abbott Diabetes Care

Pray tell how an R&D scientist at ADC was recently promoted to Director of Clinical Affairs, heading a large clinical organization, even though he has zero clinical experience. What is even more bizarre is that the person who had this position before, an African-American, was laid off last June after coming back from a medical leave. Also, another engineer was promoted to Regulatory Affairs Manager, straight from R&D, without any regulatory experience. The VP of Clinical and Regulatory Affairs must be NUTS! I'm not surprised though since he too was recycled to ADC from Vascular. Also, how did the Director of PQA get her promotion and how did another engineer, with no QA experience, become Director of Quality Systems? Both were promoited by the previous VP of Quality Compliance (or QUAC, as they fondly call themselves). (Perhaps they don't realize how sardonic that sounds.) No wonder senior (and experienced) people are abandoning ship. There's patent cronyism, which is not objectionable if competent "cronies" are promoted. This however is not the case.

Calling Mr. Miles White--- Please tend to this sick division. If you don't do it now, then the theory of Jim Collins will hold true: before death comes irrelevance and capitulation. Please fix ADC's broken culture and start at purging the leadership, beginning with R&D and Clinical/Regulatory.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Questionable Promotions at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
Pray tell how an R&D scientist at ADC was recently promoted to Director of Clinical Affairs, heading a large clinical organization, even though he has zero clinical experience. What is even more bizarre is that the person who had this position before, an African-American, was laid off last June after coming back from a medical leave. Also, another engineer was promoted to Regulatory Affairs Manager, straight from R&D, without any regulatory experience. The VP of Clinical and Regulatory Affairs must be NUTS! I'm not surprised though since he too was recycled to ADC from Vascular. Also, how did the Director of PQA get her promotion and how did another engineer, with no QA experience, become Director of Quality Systems? Both were promoited by the previous VP of Quality Compliance (or QUAC, as they fondly call themselves). (Perhaps they don't realize how sardonic that sounds.) No wonder senior (and experienced) people are abandoning ship. There's patent cronyism, which is not objectionable if competent "cronies" are promoted. This however is not the case.

Calling Mr. Miles White--- Please tend to this sick division. If you don't do it now, then the theory of Jim Collins will hold true: before death comes irrelevance and capitulation. Please fix ADC's broken culture and start at purging the leadership, beginning with R&D and Clinical/Regulatory.
There is tons of mismanagement for sure, but the two examples cited are not it. Basically, they laid off an under-performing, malingering, affirmative-action hire and promoted two intelligent scientists to try to clean up the mess he left. Hopefully it is not too late for them to turn things around.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Don't they make drugs for obsessive, delusional, paranoia?
Time to buckle that seat belt and pray.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Anonymous

Unhappy FDA Observations at Abbott Diabetes Care

I heard that ADC had serious quality and regulatory deficiencies from their Feb/Mar 2010 FDA audit. Just goes to show that they have a crappy quality and regulatory leadership.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: FDA Observations at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
I heard that ADC had serious quality and regulatory deficiencies from their Feb/Mar 2010 FDA audit. Just goes to show that they have a crappy quality and regulatory leadership.
I guess that explains a lot. I am not an Abbott employee but unfortunately, a Freestyle Navigator customer. After having a working Navigator for 11 weeks, I have now been without one for 7 weeks and can’t get a straight answer as to what is going on and why I can’t get a replacement. Reading these posts doesn’t give me a warm & cozy feeling that Abbott is going to resolve the problem or be in existence much longer. Do you have any “anonymous’ advice what a customer that is being screwed by Abbott can do?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
This company is a sinking ship
The only growth in market share was when we closed the formulary at HealthNet and even that guy could not stand it here and left. The best people we ever had was when Darrell Fick was here and hired some real talent, but even dumping boatloads of money on them could not keep them here.

When are you going to realize that ADC is where they put all the Abbott Dregs that fuck up elsewhere in Abbott? When are you going to realize they need minority and female mgt and this is where they let them graze? You get what you deserve when you stay at ADC. LOL
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I guess that explains a lot. I am not an Abbott employee but unfortunately, a Freestyle Navigator customer. After having a working Navigator for 11 weeks, I have now been without one for 7 weeks and can’t get a straight answer as to what is going on and why I can’t get a replacement. Reading these posts doesn’t give me a warm & cozy feeling that Abbott is going to resolve the problem or be in existence much longer. Do you have any “anonymous’ advice what a customer that is being screwed by Abbott can do?
This is the worst place to get advice about a product. We do not know if you are a competitor or a disgruntled ex employee. I don't even believe that you are a customer.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You NEED to send a note directly to Miles White. He is not aware of what is going on in Alameda and how poor the leadership is but deserves this insight so ACTION can be taken. Send it anonymously if you must...BUT SEND IT.
You believe that Miles White is a competent leader???????? a leader who could straighten things out?????????????

Trust me Miles doesn't want to know about any problems be they compliance related or just due to incompetent management. If you make him aware of problems, then he has to cover them up. So dummy up you.

Wow I man really wow!!! Miles is a leader; I have never in 10 years heard anyone say anything remotely like that.

By the way, I have this bridge for sale...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
This is the worst place to get advice about a product. We do not know if you are a competitor or a disgruntled ex employee. I don't even believe that you are a customer.
OK, you caught me. Finally! I work for another pharma co, and have been posting a whole bunch of these posts to drive you guys nuts. If we had a product as good as yours, I wouldn't have to do this crap... but actually, it was sort of fun; you guys are a very touchy bunch that get all wound up over nothing!
So long; over and out.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Anonymous

Unhappy Re: FDA Observations at Abbott Diabetes Care

Quote:
I know the previous poster and can assure you that she is a Freestyle Navigator user, as are both my son and daughter. We are also without the product, and this is the second time around for us. The same thing happened last year where there was a supposed inventory interruption and know one knew anything. We are just looking for answers on what to do, give up on Abbott ever getting their act together and move to a different CGM or hope that it gets better. None of you can possibly understand how it is to live with this disease 24/7 and finally find something that makes it a whole lot easier, just to have it be gone again in an instant. We were waiting for the upgrade that was going to make it an even better product, and now we have no idea if we will ever see that, or even get a replacement product. I guess that we have come to the wrong place for help. Insurance companies do not approve these things without a fight and Abbott doing this to us again is not going to help with that either.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
cafepharma newbie

Quote:
I decided to register with a user name to show you that I am really a customer. I am the person that posted #36, however, I am not the person that posted “you caught me” nor am I the person that copied my post into the other thread. My having a user name will prevent that game from being played. I use this same username on the ADA message boards & TuDiabetes. I also have a blog with this username on WordPress. I have written about my Navigator problems at all three places.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWPA View Post
I decided to register with a user name to show you that I am really a customer. I am the person that posted #36, however, I am not the person that posted “you caught me” nor am I the person that copied my post into the other thread. My having a user name will prevent that game from being played. I use this same username on the ADA message boards & TuDiabetes. I also have a blog with this username on WordPress. I have written about my Navigator problems at all three places.
Kelly, sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Have you contacted ADC directly? HQ is in Alameda, CA. Or perhaps your doctor can get you the name of a local rep, who can then get you to their region manager. Hopefully you will find answers there, as well as people who care and can help.

This board has been referred to as the bathroom wall at a bus station for good reason. It is not a place to get serious responses to anything.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
cafepharma newbie

Quote:
Kelly, sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Have you contacted ADC directly? HQ is in Alameda, CA. Or perhaps your doctor can get you the name of a local rep, who can then get you to their region manager. Hopefully you will find answers there, as well as people who care and can help.

This board has been referred to as the bathroom wall at a bus station for good reason. It is not a place to get serious responses to anything.
Thank you. I have been talking to someone in the corporate office. Unfortunately, Abbott is being very closed-lipped about what is going on. I don’t know if the post about the FDA was true or not but since Abbott is not saying why everything is at a standstill, that post looks true to those of us sitting here waiting almost 2 months for a replacement and not getting answers as to what is going on. The sad part is, I do believe the Navigator is the best CGMS on the market.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWPA View Post
Thank you. I have been talking to someone in the corporate office. Unfortunately, Abbott is being very closed-lipped about what is going on. I don’t know if the post about the FDA was true or not but since Abbott is not saying why everything is at a standstill, that post looks true to those of us sitting here waiting almost 2 months for a replacement and not getting answers as to what is going on. The sad part is, I do believe the Navigator is the best CGMS on the market.
Kelly, I hope that you get a quick resolution to this. We are all sorry for this inconvenience.
I have never known anyone to identify themselves on this board. I will warn you that there is a lot of misinformation on here, so it is best to stick with talking to Abbott corporate or finding your local representative. I really have not heard any of these issues. but if I did I would not post them here, I would work closely with the patient and Abbott. I come here for entertainment only.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Anonymous

I am also a user of Navigator.

I have been without a transmitter since 2/14 (vday).

Abbott first promised to ship one out in two days. Then they said 3/8 due to "inventory interruption". Now they are saying "we don't know". And not a single person there seems to know what's going on. I've been talking to John Rome, who has been very nice, but nice doesn't help me at this point. I need an answer. At this point they have been sending me 200 strips every couple of weeks to keep me going. How long until that stops too?

Going on the Navigator was an amazing change for me in terms of my care. I was on it for 15 months, and had seen the number 300 come up only twice in that entire period, and had been able to avoid numerous massive hypos (my big problem historically). My A1C's dropped to 6.7. In fact, the device did everything it was supposed to do, I was a textbook case of the kind of patient that would benefit most from every aspect of the unit. I turned several others onto this and I know of at least two managed to get coverage through insurance for it. Now I speak to them and they have it and I don't.

My Freestyle Flash is testament to how my control has deteriorated, and how quickly, since mid February. I've had over ten days of 300+ wakeups, following nighttime low BG episodes. At least once I bit my tongue painfully when my jaw locked on it during one of these. I've gained 6 lbs due to the massive intake of calories that come as a result of dealing with additional hypos - those chocolate bars and cookies and orange juice bottles add up, although I am certain it also has to do with the slight depression I have developed as a result. I'm feeling tired and lethargic and find myself crying with no reason (like now as I'm writing this). I just did my blood tests and if my A1C is not at least 0.5 higher, I'll eat the proverbial hat.

I can't do this anymore. I don't know what to do. Abbott simply doesn't care. They don't CARE! as far as they are concerned, I can die. I know it's not true, but that's how it feels. Yes, Mr. Rome has been nice enough to me on the phone. But I'm the one who is sick. I feel so helpless. And they... don't... give... a... damn.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Anonymous

Sorry for your situation. Look into either medtronic diabetes or Dexcom.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Sorry for your situation. Look into either medtronic diabetes or Dexcom.
Thank you.

I was on the Dexcom 7 before I got the Navigator. It helped somewhat, but it didn't work well enough for me to gain a big enough benefit. The main reason is that 5 minute interval. Unfortunately, when my blood sugars drop, they sometimes drop super-fast (100mg/dl in 15-20 minutes is not that unusual). The Dex at that point simply doesn't work; it refuses to show a result when the drop (or rise) is too fast, which means that I could go 30 minutes without getting a reading, miss the hypo, and only get a result when I was rebounding.

The Navigator at least always shows a number, and it checks every minute so I can "catch a dropping knife" if you will. The results were clear; a year on the Dex got my A1C's to 7.2 or so, but still with quite a few spikes and drops. A year on the Nav got me down to 6.7 with a much flatter distribution.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Anonymous

Ask your doctor who there Minimed/Medtronic Rep is and contact them directly. Are you on a Insulin pump? Medtronic is way ahead of everyone else with regards to CGMS. You could also go to their website and contact the company directly. They also have a blog on here under Medical device section/Medtronic and you could get a lot of info by leaving your situation on their board. You will have to screen through all the negativity. Everyone attacks everyone on here to vent and because it is Anonymous. I don't work for either company but I
am in meter sales. What city do you live in and I can get you the local Reps name and number if you wish.

Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Ask your doctor who there Minimed/Medtronic Rep is and contact them directly. Are you on a Insulin pump? Medtronic is way ahead of everyone else with regards to CGMS. You could also go to their website and contact the company directly. They also have a blog on here under Medical device section/Medtronic and you could get a lot of info by leaving your situation on their board. You will have to screen through all the negativity. Everyone attacks everyone on here to vent and because it is Anonymous. I don't work for either company but I
am in meter sales. What city do you live in and I can get you the local Reps name and number if you wish.

Good Luck.
Hey LifeScan. Have they fixed the accuracy issues with the the Medtronic CGM?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: